BajaNomad

My New Restaurant! (Loreto)

Mariz - 10-14-2013 at 12:01 PM

Hey Nomads!

We've taken my little bakery to a new level...

Sabor Restaurant will open October 18th serving lunch and dinner and feature some of our customer favorites from the bakery.

You can see the menu and our location at the new website Sabor Restaurant

I hope to see you soon!

Gracias
Mari

[Edited on 10-14-2013 by Mariz]

[Edited on 10-15-2013 by Mariz]

bajagrouper - 10-14-2013 at 12:35 PM

Great location.....

Mariz - 10-14-2013 at 12:40 PM

Thank you.

We think it offers something a little different...while not being far off the beaten path.

willardguy - 10-14-2013 at 12:45 PM

great lookin menu! burgers and cubeta's! :spingrin:

tripledigitken - 10-14-2013 at 12:49 PM

Best of luck. Will stop in next time in Loreto.

Mariz - 10-14-2013 at 12:54 PM

Thank you Willardguy!

Excellent Ken, See you then!

DaliDali - 10-14-2013 at 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by Mariz
Hey Nomads!

We've taken my little bakery to a new level...

Attractive Website. :D

Is that really an English only site for a Loreto restaurant? Why? :?:

Targeting English speaking folks?

Mariz - 10-14-2013 at 01:28 PM

We are working right now on the Spanish side of the site.

Thanks for the comments!

We are hoping everyone will come and enjoy our food!

I am Mexican myself and my man is Mexican at heart!

David K - 10-14-2013 at 02:02 PM

Wishing you great success... and posting an English web site on an English language Baja forum was a great idea!

Sounds like you are easy to spot between the Loreto entrance road and the San Javier highway junction, gulf side of the Highway 1 ?!

Mariz - 10-14-2013 at 02:17 PM

Thank you David K!

It's not that easy to spot from the highway as we're in about 200 yards or so and the trees are green and lush now. If you look toward the SofC just at the south end of the San Thelmo bridge (the big one leaving Loreto near the hospital) you'll see our palapa's...we're all alone and have the only power lines that cross the highway. You can follow the power poles right to our gate.

We have a fully enclosed 1/2 acre lot with lots of parking. You won't even have to remove your keys from your car!

Mari

David K - 10-14-2013 at 02:19 PM

Oh great... I wish you success... we love Loreto, and only wish we could visit there more!

Lee - 10-14-2013 at 03:14 PM

Nice website and menu. Buena suerte!!! See you soon.

mulegemichael - 10-14-2013 at 04:17 PM

great idea for loreto!...ANOTHER CHOICE!...i mean, i like del barracho's but nice to have another burger place locally...thanks!

bajajudy - 10-14-2013 at 04:20 PM

Looks great
Good luck !

Bajahowodd - 10-14-2013 at 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
great idea for loreto!...ANOTHER CHOICE!...i mean, i like del barracho's but nice to have another burger place locally...thanks!

I think that calling it a burger place does Mariz a great disservice, considering the extensive menu.

BajaBlanca - 10-14-2013 at 05:17 PM

Congratulations! We will definitely be by next time we go to Loreto!

Are we allowed to swim in the beautiful pool? Probably not, but it sure looks enticing.

Mariz - 10-14-2013 at 05:38 PM

Thanks for all the nice comments and well wishes!

Sure you can swim but it's getting a little chillllly...especially with this rain we've had all day.

Next April you can plan on eating at the swim up bar. Cold beer/soda with a large portion of my family recipe ceviche would be my recommendation!

I look forward to your visit!

Frank - 10-14-2013 at 06:44 PM

We will see you at the end of June! I wish it could be sooner.

aguachico - 10-14-2013 at 06:56 PM

your menu looks awesome and since you have Negra Modelo it's even better.

My recent trip to Loreto left me unimpressed with the local fare. The good places were closed too early and the one's that were left were not in my price range.

Hope to see you next summer.

suerte

CortezBlue - 10-14-2013 at 09:00 PM

I can I place a delivery order?

oladulce - 10-15-2013 at 09:25 AM

The food at Sabor tastes even better than it looks on the website.

Already decided I'm having pulled pork next time (and I'm usually the one who's still reading the menu while everyone else is eating). But if the ceviche is a "family recipe", it's going to be a hard decision because Mariz comes from the part of Mexico where they know how to do ceviche. So it might require an overnight stay while I'm deciding. Wish we lived closer!

This lovely family makes the place extra special. You won't meet nicer folks.

And place an order to pick up from her bakery before you visit. I'm telling you her Honey wheat bread is the best on the planet and the cinnamon rolls melt in your mouth.

Mariz - 10-15-2013 at 01:29 PM

What a nice thing to say oladulce!

Unfortunately, to get my baked goods you'll have to come to the restaurant. I'm not taking online orders, at least for now. We think it best to focus on Sabor and produce the best food and service possible.

Looking forward to seeing you again!

Mari

ncampion - 10-19-2013 at 12:19 PM

OK, tried this restaurant last night and as expected it did not dissapoint. The setting was beautiful, food and service were exceptional and even the full moon rose over the ocean during dinner. My wife had the Southwestern Chimichangas which were great, I had the Pulled Pork sandwhich - also great especially the homemade BBQ sauce, and friends had the Enchiladas which they report as great. We also enjoyed the Ceviche appetizers. Great place, sure to be popular.

What a treat!

Howard - 10-19-2013 at 01:04 PM

I agree with ncampion and oladulce, what a treat! Ate there last night with ncampion and his lovely wife and must agree with not only the quality of the food but the taste and presentation were definitely top notch. Service was outstanding.
Will go back in a New York second.

Buenas Suerte to all of the gang at my new favorite restaurant in Loreto!

(Thank you Mariz for writing this for me so I could post the above.) When do I get my complimentary Pacifico?? :biggrin: :biggrin:

Seriously, I give it a thumbs up.

David K - 10-19-2013 at 01:52 PM

Sounds like a Nomad 5 star eatery! Is Phil C in town?

Mariz - 10-20-2013 at 05:40 AM

Thank you for the wonderful comments ncampion, Howard and David K!

I think our opening day went very well. Everyone seemed to enjoy the tranquility, view and food which makes us very happy.

It was topped off by a few beers and great conversation with ncampion and wife, Howard, and Jose under the palapa watching the full moon rise over the Sea of Cortez...the perfect end to our first day in the restaurant business!

Thanks to all and we hope to see you here someday!

Mari

Mariz - 10-28-2013 at 06:25 PM

Some had inquired about a Spanish language side of the website...the web address is in my signature.

Well it's up now so you can let your Spanish speaking friends know!

Thanks for all the kind words and support!

Mariz - 11-27-2013 at 11:12 AM

Just wanted to let you all know that Sabor! has a 2 for 1 Thanksgiving special All Day, All Week, on Margaritas, beer, limonada and tea.

Hope to see you here!
The website address is in my signature. You can find the full menu and directions there.
We also have a Facebook page here Sabor! on Facebook

[Edited on 11-27-2013 by Mariz]

David K - 11-27-2013 at 11:16 AM

Happy Thanksgiving Mariz!

Mariz - 11-27-2013 at 11:25 AM

Same to you Mr. K! and all the other nomads too!!

ncampion - 11-27-2013 at 01:22 PM

We'll be there today for lunch after picking our daughter up at the airport.

Mariz - 12-23-2013 at 09:16 PM

Just wanted to say Merry Christmas and let you know that we have extended our dinner hours.

We are now open Wed. - Sun. 11:30 am to 9:00 pm.

We will also be open New Years Day.

For all the very lasted news and info you can go to our Facebook page or visit our website in my signature.

Thanks and we look forward to meeting more Nomads!

blackwolfmt - 1-24-2014 at 09:04 PM

I look forward to trying the excellent sounding menu items when I am down there shredding the desert, I hope your still in biz and made some dinero during the holidays to survive. Adios:cool:

Chef bo Montana

Paula - 1-24-2014 at 09:16 PM

Such amazing chile relleno! A great addition, and a new take on a classic. And the chimichanga too!

And we enjoyed the new hours, what a nice place to spend an evening!

Mariz - 1-31-2014 at 09:36 AM

Thank you for the wonderful comments!

We want to see lots of Nomads this weekend so...

Come and enjoy the unique food and ambiance at Sabor!

This Friday thru Sunday:
We will have drink specials all weekend from 4:00 to closing.

Pacifico/Pacifico Light, Corona/ Corona Light just $15 pesos!
Modelo Negra and Especial just $25 pesos!
Margarita just $30 pesos!
Margarita Especial just $45 pesos!
Soda and Limonadas just $15 pesos!

What better way to experience the incredible food, romantic, peaceful setting and great service this weekend!

See you here.

Chris & Mari
Sabor!

Mariz - 4-16-2014 at 07:29 AM

Hola Nomads!

We wanted to wish you a happy Semana Santa and tell you about a couple things!

First, thanks to you and others we are ranked #1 for Loreto restaurants on Trip Advisor! We have been #1 for a couple months now so I feel a little more confident about telling you all.
Sabor! Trip Advisor Ranking

We’re also happy to announce that we’ll now be serving delicious, juicy, wood-grilled arrachera! Choose between fajitas style with sauteed veggies, or carne asada style with our sweet and spicy escabeche. You also get a choice of wood-fired pinto beans or our bacon-chipotle refried beans, along with guacamole and flour or corn tortillas.

Thanks for your support and Team Sabor! looks forward to seeing you soon!;D

bajalearner - 4-16-2014 at 08:08 AM

Thank you for the invitation. I will visit when I can.

I will enjoy it if I feel welcome, there is interesting atmosphere, chips and salsa, the food is good and the bathroom is clean. I am a simple guy. hahaha.

I am sure I will enjoy your place.

vandenberg - 4-16-2014 at 08:20 AM

Sabor is indeed a great addition to Loreto's eateries.

Try it you'll like it, quaranteed.

Lots of surprise and innovative stuff on their menu.

:yes::yes:

Cliffy - 4-16-2014 at 08:26 AM

OK I have saved the directions to my Trip Notes for next weeks trip down.
Too many good choices on the menu :-) :-)

ncampion - 4-16-2014 at 09:30 AM

We'll be back in Loreto May 1 and will have to go try the Arrachera, it looks great!

msawin - 4-18-2014 at 08:07 PM

Got's to tell you, the food is great. Had lunch last month with our amiga Wendy. My self, the smoked pulled pork sandwich. Loved it. A great place to catch a view of the sea with a bite to eat.. You will like it..

Marty [martino]

Mariz - 4-18-2014 at 09:50 PM

Thanks everyone!:D

Looking forward to seeing and meeting more of you in the future!

Mari & Chris

BajaBlanca - 4-20-2014 at 08:02 PM

So so so bummed. We searched for Sabor Restaurant today, I did not have access to internet and we were kind of in a hurry to get to La Paz. Please put a bigger sign on highway 1 !

Now that I have the details on the power lines, maybe we will have better luck on the way south.

Happy Easter Mari and Chris.

Mariz - 4-21-2014 at 06:19 AM

We are soooo disappointed you weren't able to see the sign on you way through town! Corona has been promising a nice sign for months and just informed us "no sign for you!", so we'll get to work on some better signage ourselves.

Just remember we are between the south end of the big bridge south of Loreto(San Thelmo River) and the road to San Javier (1/4 mile from the bridge) on the Sea of Cortez side of the highway and in about 300 yards all by ourselves.

We hope to see you on your next trip passed us!!!

We hope you and all the Nomads had a Happy Easter!

Thanks

Cliffy - 4-21-2014 at 07:46 AM

We may get a chance to stop by in a couple of weeks if we get that far down

Mariz - 4-21-2014 at 09:07 AM

We'll be looking for you!;D

ZoeyR - 4-21-2014 at 03:32 PM

We can't wait to come for a meal next time we are in Loreto!

Mariz - 4-21-2014 at 07:59 PM

We'll be waiting for you ZoeyR!!:spingrin:

BajaBlanca - 4-22-2014 at 08:14 AM

Mariz, you are NOT open for breakfast, correct?

Mariz - 4-22-2014 at 10:12 AM

Correct.

11:30am to 9:00pm Wednesday thru Sunday

jimcallard - 4-22-2014 at 11:06 AM

world famous chile rellano!

Mariz - 4-22-2014 at 01:59 PM

Thanks Jim! They have become very popular. Many customers have told us the are the best chile rellenos the ever had.

They are non traditional with a slightly crunchy exterior, filled with pork or chicken and Monterrey Jack cheese. They are drizzled in poblano cream sauce which helps intensify the poblano flavor.

Mariz - 5-8-2014 at 08:23 AM

Just to let you all know, we have some new summer hours:

Wed. through Sun.
Lunch: 11:30am to 2pm
Dinner: 6:00pm to 9:00pm

This includes Mother's Day.
I would also suggest a reservation for Mother's Day, email us at info@saborloreto.com or call 613-104-8568

Thanks again for the kind words and support!!!;)

ncampion - 5-8-2014 at 10:32 AM

I guess you'll be taking a dip in the pool between 2 and 6 to get cooled off. Glad to hear that you'll be staying open through the summer. See you next week.

Mariz - 5-8-2014 at 11:33 AM

Shhhhhh...

We will be slaving away in the heat to better serve our customers!;)

Looking forward to your return ncampion!!!

churro - 5-8-2014 at 07:38 PM

That Chili Relleno looks So Good!!!! My favorite!!! I will be checking you out!

Mariz - 5-8-2014 at 08:52 PM

We look forward to it churro!:yes:

Mariz - 5-13-2014 at 05:41 PM

Chris grilled up a bunch of arrachera and onions, it looked so good I had to get a picture to show you!

We had the pleasure of seeing several nomads in the last few days, we look forward to seeing more of you! ;D

Mariz - 7-12-2014 at 07:45 AM

We have an announcement to make:

Sabor! will be closing for the season on July 27th. We'd like to thank all our friends and customers for making our first season such a success--we couldn't have done it without your support and kind words!

Sabor! will be back with some new and exciting changes in October, so keep an eye on our Facebook page to stay updated. We look forward to seeing you in the fall!

Thank you all so much,
The Sabor! Team

Lee - 7-12-2014 at 02:29 PM

Mariz -- post directions again for those who missed it? Definitely a stop when I'm in Loreto. Love the photos of the poblano sauce.

BajaBlanca - 7-12-2014 at 03:01 PM

Lee, they are closed til October but this is what Mari had posted:

Just remember we are between the south end of the big bridge south of Loreto(San Thelmo River) and the road to San Javier (1/4 mile from the bridge) on the Sea of Cortez side of the highway and in about 300 yards all by ourselves.

Mariz - 7-12-2014 at 04:09 PM

Thanks for that BajaBlanca!

We are still OPEN, we will close on July 27, 2014.

Thanks

Lee - 7-12-2014 at 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca

So, when do I turn off? Is there a sign on the highway?

Bajahowodd - 7-12-2014 at 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Quote:

Seriously? Don't you drive to Todos and back frequently? You need help finding this place? :lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 7-13-2014 by Bajahowodd]

Mariz - 7-12-2014 at 05:15 PM

Just passed the southern end of the large San Thelmo bridge you'll see a small sign and electric poles that cross the highway and lead right to us. We're on the Sea of Cortez side of the highway.

Hope to see you soon!;D

Lee - 7-13-2014 at 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Quote:

Seriously? Don't you drive to Todos and back frequently? You need help finding this place? :lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 7-13-2014 by Bajahowodd]

I'm directionally dysfunctional but I'll find Mariz' place in October. I need crunchy chiles with creamy poblano sauce ASAP.

Bajahowodd - 7-13-2014 at 05:03 PM

Don't we all?:biggrin::spingrin:

Mariz - 9-28-2014 at 12:30 PM

Hey All!

Just wanted to give you a quick update:

Sabor! Restaurant will be opening for the season on Thursday, October 2!

We have some exciting changes to show you on your next visit! Join us for dinner to see our brand new dinner menu, whet your appetite with fresh tortillas and homemade flavored butters, and enjoy a salad or a hearty cup of soup with your main course. Our lunch menu includes all your old favorites plus a couple of new sandwiches we think you'll love.

Our vegetarian friends will find a whole section full of delicious meat-free offerings for both lunch and dinner, including our popular chiles rellenos stuffed with a rich potato-cheddar filling, and vegetarian chimichangas.

We've also expanded our mixed drink selection to include your favorite tequila, rum, and vodka drinks--from fruity coconut margaritas to bright, fresh mojitos and more!

We'll be installing our new and improved sign on the highway this Sunday and would really appreciate your help in getting the word out. We can't wait to see our old friends and make some new ones!
You can check out our full lunch and dinner menus, along with our mixed drinks, on our website: http://saborloreto.com/ For reservations, please email us at info@saborloreto.com.

See you soon!

bajacalifornian - 9-28-2014 at 02:59 PM

Have a great year you guys!

Mariz - 9-28-2014 at 05:13 PM

Thanks Jeff;)