yakyak2010 - 10-17-2013 at 04:41 PM

Any lobster in Gonzaga bay area

willardguy - 10-17-2013 at 05:00 PM

we've heard stories but seen no proof!

Barry A. - 10-17-2013 at 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by yakyak2010

I don't believe so as the water is too warm?!?!?!?-------I have never seen any there and we have looked over the last 45 years. Their is a lot of "clicking" going on under water when you free-dive, snorkle, or skuba----not sure what the "clicking" is, tho.

Barry

Bwana_John - 10-17-2013 at 05:10 PM

I saw one once on the SOC side of Papas.

Quote:

not sure what the "clicking" is, tho.

My guess is shrimp

tripledigitken - 10-17-2013 at 05:21 PM

Submarines?

David K - 10-17-2013 at 06:11 PM

Lobster at Agua Verde, south of Loreto... never heard of any in the upper Cortez... and the water gets very cold in the winter up there!

Barry A. - 10-17-2013 at 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Submarines?

Possibly!!!

My son and I were screaming across San Francisquito Bay towards Punta Final in two different tin-boats when my son hit something that darn near tore his outboard off---------upon investigation we discovered olive-drab paint on the leading edges of the prop and skeg. Spooky!!!!! Forgot to check to see if the "clicking" stopped, tho.

Barry

willardguy - 10-17-2013 at 06:26 PM

they have to be there. john has seen one and a very credible source claims to have bagged em at the entrance to williard. now coco (and we all know how nomads hang onto coco's every word) tells me lobster are as far north as ensenada blanca. we did hoop the area around papa's for nada, like a desert out there.
but there must be SOME!:yes:

monoloco - 10-17-2013 at 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Submarines?

Possibly!!!

My son and I were screaming across San Francisquito Bay towards Punta Final in two different tin-boats when my son hit something that darn near tore his outboard off---------upon investigation we discovered olive-drab paint on the leading edges of the prop and skeg. Spooky!!!!! Forgot to check to see if the "clicking" stopped, tho.

Barry
That happened to me a couple of weeks ago, i think it was a turtle.

Barry A. - 10-17-2013 at 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Lobster at Agua Verde, south of Loreto... never heard of any in the upper Cortez... and the water gets very cold in the winter up there!

------yeah but, lobsters walk really slowly and it's a long walk from the Pacific where the water is cold all year long, David.

Barry

churro - 10-17-2013 at 09:48 PM

I have caught lobster in the midriff islands, Isla los animas, while free diving in shallow water.... i got 2 bugs in one area... that was the only lobster i have seen ever in that area. ... my thought was someone planted them there

David K - 10-17-2013 at 09:55 PM

Without opening books, I think the lobster in the Gulf of California is called a 'caribe'? It is different than the bugs on the Pacific side... and neither are like the Atlantic ones which have claws!

David K - 10-17-2013 at 10:07 PM

Okay, I went to the books... and behold, an actual Baja Lobster Map! Three cheers for Mike McMahan! ('There It Is: Baja!', 1973). Looks like the upper range is just south of L.A. Bay... on his map

Mike McMahan may be most famous for his Baja Wall Maps from the 1960's to 1980's...

churro - 10-17-2013 at 10:15 PM

Thanks David! So much info on this web site!

David K - 10-17-2013 at 10:19 PM

Baja is just so much fun and so amazing!

I have details and photos of both kinds of lobster too (from Mike's book)... if anyone is interested I will add them tomorrow or later...

dtbushpilot - 10-18-2013 at 06:39 AM

Quote:

I have details and photos of both kinds of lobster too (from Mike's book)... if anyone is interested I will add them tomorrow or later...

Absolutely, thanks DK....

Pescador - 10-18-2013 at 06:47 AM

Cortez lobsters do not trap or hoop and most are either netted or gigged or otherwise collected by divers.

larryC - 10-18-2013 at 06:54 AM

Don't know about Gonzaga, but there are red spiny lobsters here in Bahia, and I have seen the black Caribe and slipper lobsters here also. Not real plentiful but here non the less.
Larry

BajaParrothead - 10-18-2013 at 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
Cortez lobsters do not trap or hoop and most are either netted or gigged or otherwise collected by divers.

Pescador, why would they be more difficult to trap? Smarter set of bugs in the SOC? :?:

durrelllrobert - 10-18-2013 at 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Quote:

I don't believe so as the water is too warm?!?!?!?-------I have never seen any there and we have looked over the last 45 years. Their is a lot of "clicking" going on under water when you free-dive, snorkle, or skuba----not sure what the "clicking" is, tho.

Barry

CLICKER CLAMS?

durrelllrobert - 10-18-2013 at 09:30 AM

The fishing cooperative “California de San Ignacio” in Bahia Asuncion, which was established in 1939 with only 45 members, now has 125. The processing plant was built in 1978 and now exports 70 tons each season of red lobster and 22 tons of green abalone. They also can and export caracoles or sea snails and produce 43 tons or 2,112 cases of 24 cans each as well as six tons of processed sea cucumber. Other products include white fish, crab, frozen sardines and yellowtail.

www.sandiegored.com/noticias/.../The-Tail-End-of-Lobster-Sea...

David K - 10-18-2013 at 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
Quote:

Absolutely, thanks DK....

Mike (McMahan) has several pages on lobsters, and so I will suggest getting the book... It was first published as a hardback then republished 10 years later as a paperback, with a different title! Baja Judy may have the paper back? Here are two pages on lobsters, and then the two different covers for McMahan's GREAT book>>>

1973:

1983:

Some will recall the cool early 1950's video of 4 guys driving down Baja hunting and fishing? Mike McMahan was one of those guys... Here is the 1953 book they wrote about that adventure:

Mike McMahan is also famous for his discoveries on Malarrimo Beach...

Including the more dangerous kind!:

Pescador - 10-19-2013 at 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaParrothead
Quote:

Pescador, why would they be more difficult to trap? Smarter set of bugs in the SOC? :?:

On the Cortez side we have two types of rock lobsters. First is the Slipper lobster which is kind of an ugly creature and much different than a spiny. Wikipedia has a good picture. Second is the spiny which has slightly different coloration than the spiny lobster found on the Pacific side.

The spiny lobsters we have on the Cortez side just do not come in the traps. Some speculate that they eat different things and perhaps do not feed on the carrion or dead fish on the ocean floor. It is common knowledge that the spinys on the Pacific side are trapped and that is the main method of harvest. We have had fishermen from the other side come over, set traps in known areas, but they don't get any. One of the stories floating around at Punta Chivato was that the spinies on the Cortez side are vegetarian. I don't believe that but something is different.
Almost all of the lobster sold on the Cortez side comes from nets that are set for other fish and they happen to get them or from divers. Most divers report they prefer to go at night. They either use a Hawaiin sling or a small spear gun with a single rubber.

Like everything else that has any monetary value, lobsters are in steep decline and the vendors keep getting smaller lobsters all the time.

thxs

yakyak2010 - 10-19-2013 at 08:37 AM

Hey, thxs everyone. Great info. I thought I might get one reply "too warm idiot" instead you guys gave great info on a variety of topics. Thxs again

55steve - 10-19-2013 at 08:41 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by BajaParrothead
Quote:

On the Cortez side we have two types of rock lobsters. First is the Slipper lobster which is kind of an ugly creature and much different than a spiny. Wikipedia has a good picture. Second is the spiny which has slightly different coloration than the spiny lobster found on the Pacific side.

The spiny lobsters we have on the Cortez side just do not come in the traps. Some speculate that they eat different things and perhaps do not feed on the carrion or dead fish on the ocean floor. It is common knowledge that the spinys on the Pacific side are trapped and that is the main method of harvest. We have had fishermen from the other side come over, set traps in known areas, but they don't get any. One of the stories floating around at Punta Chivato was that the spinies on the Cortez side are vegetarian. I don't believe that but something is different.
Almost all of the lobster sold on the Cortez side comes from nets that are set for other fish and they happen to get them or from divers. Most divers report they prefer to go at night. They either use a Hawaiin sling or a small spear gun with a single rubber.

Like everything else that has any monetary value, lobsters are in steep decline and the vendors keep getting smaller lobsters all the time.

Here's a pic of a few recent Bahia de Los Angeles bugs that a friend sent me.

bahia bugs.jpg - 37kB

willardguy - 10-19-2013 at 11:36 AM

Quote:
I would have to say the answer is "yes". mike mcmahan's map jives with coco's story, putting lobster as far north as ensenada blanca. we know there's lobster in LA bay. we have eye witness to seeing bugs in gonzaga. water too warm? lobster are regularly taken waaay up at rocky point.
im certain if you were to soak hoops long enough around the gonzaga area you see some bugs, of course that brings up an even bigger problem! :O ;D