BajaNomad

No doom and gloom

Osprey - 10-22-2013 at 12:22 PM

No Time for Doom and Gloom

All this gloom and doom talk about no fish in the sea pushes me to think about a better, happier future for fishermen everywhere. If the end of salt water fishing is drawing ever closer, what does that leave us? Fresh water fishing.

We can savor the flavor of the last of the best while we take more pictures of the fish they leave us in the ocean, its gulfs and bays and straights. That ending for us will be a new beginning for our kids and grandkids. Won’t be bad at all! Allow me to think ahead.

Salt water boundaries are impossible so it’s easy to see how a total lack of control over such a vast and varied biome would be problematic. Too big to manage, it was left to be abused, emptied by everyone in so many ways. Nothing could have stopped that so don’t point fingers.

No time to dwell, just move on and look at what’s left, what’s still fun and tasty; fresh water fish. You can’t count the world’s lakes – they are as many as the stars above and here and there they are managed, controlled, cherished as treasures of recreational fishing for millions of avid or weekend anglers world wide. One could hope that as the sea begins to move the empty meter into the red, even more controls would be put in place to maintain a happy balance in the freshwater fishing scheme.

Come with me on a tour of the future where you (or your progeny) walk (or Segue) through the new mega sports malls. We will be amazed at how the brightest and the best have retooled all their saltwater gear to the new, lightweight, everlasting, non rust world of fresh water fishing. No more saltwater fishing yachts ---- every kind of blowup, portable, cartop and trailerable contraption will be waiting for your great grandkids to touch and sit in and dream about for about the price of a good recliner chair.

Fishing lodges and timeshares will be found wherever there are docks and campgrounds and fish cleaning stations. Fishing clubs will buy up all the lake and reservoir shorelines which will be rented (many in national lotteries) month, week, day, hour. Canada will begin to build airports everywhere while resorts will sprout like spring daisies. TV will be 80% “How to cook Walleye” shows.

Fanatic flyfishers won’t notice a thing except crowds and those who can will be forced to buy fractional use of small jets.

All in all it will be a grand and busy time for the New Fishermen. No whining now. Take heart. Have a cool one (or more ) as long as you don’t get moist and maudlin.

vandenberg - 10-22-2013 at 12:51 PM

"Maudlin"??
Had to look that one up!!:biggrin::biggrin:

Udo - 10-23-2013 at 10:12 AM

Great perspective, George!

durrelllrobert - 10-23-2013 at 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
"Maudlin"??
Had to look that one up!!:biggrin::biggrin:

maud·lin
adjective \ˈmȯd-lən\ : showing or expressing too much emotion especially in a foolish or annoying way

Full Definition of MAUDLIN

1: drunk enough to be emotionally silly

2: weakly and effusively sentimental

I'll drank 2 dat:lol: