BajaNomad

Coco - and his new leg prothesis

John M - 10-24-2013 at 09:54 AM

This past Monday (October 21) a small group of friends arrived at Coco’s Corner to lend a bit of help to our friend. Another Nomad – Redhilltown – had recently stopped there and noted a couple of things that would help Coco to be able to use his newly acquired leg prosthesis.

Leading up to our trip, and using a photo Redhilltown (Nomad)provided, my good friend and neighbor Brian (“Sublimity” also on Nomad) used his fabrication skills and advice to make up some pieces we thought would help with the project.

We got to Coco’s early Monday and soon began to assemble the parts and pieces. Unknown to us, another group – Amigos 4x4 Club from Rosarito arrived and the several men soon pitched in providing their own skills and help.

At one point we had to be corrected as we may have failed to remember that Coco is the job-site superintendent!

Before long the job was finished. Coco then got into his wheelchair, moved up to the new ramp, installed both new prosthesis devices and prepared himself for the challenge ahead. Asking for quiet so that he could concentrate, a minute had barely passed before Coco was standing upright, using the ramp for support. A cheer followed. Before long Coco was walking steadily to the end of the ramp, made a u-turn and returned to where he had started. Another u-turn followed, with Coco all smiles and even tears in his eyes as he extended both arms thus standing alone, unsupported except by his determination and new legs! Coco’s comment “I haven’t walked in five years” brought all of us to the realization that indeed our small gesture meant so much not only to Coco but to everyone present.

There are still some improvements needed, and Brian will be fabricating some grips to make it easier for Coco to get to the standing position from his wheelchair, but all in all we’d call this a real success.

Coco said he intends to use this new ramp as often as he can.

We owe a lot to the friends with us on this trip as well as to the generous men from Amigos 4x4 Club – they took a video of these exciting steps and will be posting it on U-Tube soon.

John & Barbara; Brian & Nicole, Bradley and Ashley; Bob; TW; Russ & Molly, Devin.

Original ramp proved to be not long enough

Assembly crew including Amigos 4x4 Club

Coco preparing to stand for the first time in a long while

Confidence

How about that balance already!?

Our new friends and master helpers.

Coco giving necessary advice.

So. Cal. Crew from left: Tom (TW), Bob, John, Bradley, Brian, Russ, and Devin

John M

[Edited on 10-24-2013 by John M]

BajaRat - 10-24-2013 at 10:01 AM

Thanks You Guys :cool:

tripledigitken - 10-24-2013 at 10:05 AM

Now that's a feel good story.

Big thanks to John & Barbara; Brian & Nicole, Bradley and Ashley; Bob; TW; Russ & Molly, Devin.

jbcoug - 10-24-2013 at 10:06 AM

Great news! Who provided/created the prosthesis?

John

motoged - 10-24-2013 at 10:07 AM

Good work.

More evidence that Coco is a Stand Up Guy :saint:

DENNIS - 10-24-2013 at 10:17 AM

Wonderful, John. Absolutely wonderful.
Being one who requires a leg brace myself, allow me to give a hint as to Coco's challenge.
it's a lot easier going uphill than down. Hand rails are all important.

prosthesis question

John M - 10-24-2013 at 10:19 AM

I do not know who provided them. Some years ago I exchanged a few email with a fellow, Paul Boe, who did this sort of thing and he made trips to Baja and I think paid Coco a visit a time or two. Other than that I have no other info.

The "legs" fit him pretty well but will need some adjustments as he walks and gets used to them.

John M

DENNIS - 10-24-2013 at 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by John M
I Some years ago I exchanged a few email with a fellow, Paul Boe,

Paul is an outstanding Nomad as well as an Asuncionite:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/member.php?action=viewpro&me...

jbcoug - 10-24-2013 at 10:31 AM

John M,

That's what I was wondering. I traveled for a couple weeks with Paul back in August and everywhere we stopped Paul found people to help. His group does amazing things to help amputees and I guessed they might be involved. Thanks to all who helped make this possible for Coco!!!!!

John

bufeo - 10-24-2013 at 10:39 AM

What a grand project, John. You and all those who contributed in one way or another are to be commended. I'm sure Coco will appreciate the ramp and I have no doubt he'll persevere.

Good on ya', mate.

Allen R.

David K - 10-24-2013 at 10:46 AM

Great news John! Thank you...

BajaGeoff - 10-24-2013 at 11:29 AM

Awesome! Great job!

dizzyspots - 10-24-2013 at 12:01 PM

WOW...nice job guys!!...Is there an updated list of stuff that he needs/wants...we're headed down to GB next week and will bring stuff:
cat food
honey nut cheerios
canned veggies

anything else???

BajaBlanca - 10-24-2013 at 01:03 PM

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Great story! Paul is one of those great people you are lucky to meet.

Keri - 10-24-2013 at 04:10 PM

You guys are the best. Thanks mucho, Makes my heart feel good,k:bounce::biggrin::bounce:

DavidE - 10-24-2013 at 04:42 PM

Inspiring! Two Ears And A Tail!

Ateo - 10-24-2013 at 06:06 PM

Very cool. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Paulina - 10-24-2013 at 07:01 PM

It made my heart happy to see young people involved too. Thank you for including them, teaching them a valuable life lesson.

P>*)))>{

Yes Paulina - even the young helped

John M - 10-25-2013 at 07:24 AM

The young ones weren't just standing around either!

These are indeed good lessons taught and learned.

John M

to Dizzyspots - needs

John M - 10-25-2013 at 01:35 PM

He's now got 30 lbs of cat food - plenty for awhile I'd think.

There is also a lot of canned meat on the shelf there.

Didn't see much in the way of canned fruit/veggies.

For the ramp we helped with, he could use a couple of things for improvement - probably the hand rails we are working on is the most needed - they have to be fabricated to fit and we took measurements and can bend them up. A race pit crew (MAG 7) has offered to weld them at some point during the upcoming Baja 1000 - we just have to get them in the mail to 'em.

The other thing is a single piece of low shag carpet 2' wide x 15' long. This will be used on the ground between the rails to provide a continuous smooth surface for Coco to walk on. I intend to go to a carpet remnant place tomorrow (Saturday) to see what I can get. Coco thinks there should be a piece of plywood under the carpet - it would be something like a 4'x8' sheet of 3/8" plywood, cut down the middle to give (2) 2'x8' pieces to go on the ground.

Let me know if you think you could get the carpet, otherwise I can buy it, and perhaps I can Fed Ex it to you before you leave.

John M

dizzyspots - 10-25-2013 at 02:06 PM

carpet runner and canned fruits/veggies on the list for the trip
unable on the plywood...no room