BajaNomad

GottaPeso

KurtG - 10-24-2013 at 01:06 PM

While riding through Catavina Monday I didn't see GottaPeso and inquired about him. I was told that he had "lost his vision" and was in San Diego. I hope he is getting the care he needs, he has been looking pretty rough the last year or so.

rts551 - 10-24-2013 at 01:14 PM

I was wondering why I hadn't seen him lately

4baja - 10-24-2013 at 05:34 PM

hes either in brazil were he owns a home or at the whamo factory as the ceo sice he invented frisbees or at his malibu home. all these places im sure are crappy places to live rather then liveing in catavina.

vgabndo - 10-24-2013 at 05:44 PM

He's a survivor. Marches to his own drummer. Good luck to him.

IMG_0502.JPG - 42kB

Marc - 10-24-2013 at 07:10 PM

In a way, the world needs guys like this. I'll miss him...I think:rolleyes::rolleyes:

woody with a view - 10-24-2013 at 07:24 PM

i love that cat!

any guy who could strum a guitar while leaning on the "Fender" of a car, and then start a new company is amazing....

tripledigitken - 10-24-2013 at 07:30 PM

Why is he held in so high regard?

I never saw him.

(This is a sincere question.)

willardguy - 10-24-2013 at 07:30 PM

? so you figure he lost his vision, or lost his VISION?? either way he left more questions than answers!

KurtG - 10-24-2013 at 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken

I never saw him.

I'm not sure "high regard" applies. He has been a fixture there for quite a few years. Some view him as simply a teller of tall tales but I have regarded him as being truly delusional. I have no professional standing for that opinion, just my instinct. In any case I have always given him a few pesos and have thought that he was probably as well off there than he would be living on the streets in the US. I don't miss the small amounts I have given him and if it provided him with a meal or two then that is enough for me.

woody with a view - 10-24-2013 at 08:05 PM

well said, Kurt!

DianaT - 10-25-2013 at 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by KurtG
Quote:

I never saw him.

I'm not sure "high regard" applies. He has been a fixture there for quite a few years. Some view him as simply a teller of tall tales but I have regarded him as being truly delusional. I have no professional standing for that opinion, just my instinct. In any case I have always given him a few pesos and have thought that he was probably as well off there than he would be living on the streets in the US. I don't miss the small amounts I have given him and if it provided him with a meal or two then that is enough for me.

I agree -- well said. And he may have been definitely better off and probably happier living in Cataviña where the locals just accepted who he is and he was probably in less danger down there.
So many people in California with mental health issues just end up in prison.

From previous posts on this site

durrelllrobert - 10-25-2013 at 12:00 PM

Quote:

I never saw him.

Every time you stopped in Catavina he would come over, lean on your car and ask "Gotta peso for me?" But it was his stories that made him a Baja legend:

He invented the Frisbee and the Hula Hoop
His planned venture into strawberries in the Catavina area was the inspiration for John Lennon' song "Strawberry Fields Forever"

He owned much of Hawaii before it was a state

He invented the internet before Al Gore did

He was personal friends with Elvis and Natalie Woods

He was married to Marylyn Monroe

He founded Campell's Soup company

He was "Boy" in all the Johnnie Weissmuller Tarzan films

He owns a mansion in Brazil

He invented the Frisbee, Hula Hoop, roller skate and Duncun yoyo

He produced the Elvis pictures and Easy Rider but got ripped off by Hollywood

He plans to buy Catavina soon

He's expecting his inheritance any day now

willardguy - 10-25-2013 at 12:09 PM

maybe the last one came true? he did know the high end neighborhoods of los angeles, I worked exclusively in beverly hills, bel-air, brentwood, he knew all the streets and landmarks. no question he had spent alot of time there!

vgabndo - 10-25-2013 at 12:41 PM

Well, he wasn't Johnny Sheffield, "Boy", and even if he was that would make him 82 years old! And defunto three years ago.

Clearly he was one taco short of a combination plate, and I expect my beggars to be humble, so while I respected his ability to survive on the side of highway one, I didn't respect him enough to engage with him...although there was something about Elvis.:lol:

ncampion - 10-25-2013 at 01:39 PM

Having meet and spoken with him a few times, I'm pretty sure he suffered from Schizophrenia. Symptoms are fairly clear, I had a brother with the disease and his mannerisms and delusions are very similar. BTW, they often tend to be highly intelligent. I liked the guy.

rts551 - 10-25-2013 at 02:02 PM

He had a good memory and obviously had either been around or read a lot.

I would bring him canned ravioli. He thought they were a real treat.

DENNIS - 10-25-2013 at 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551

I love those things. Bring me some. :biggrin:

LancairDriver - 10-25-2013 at 03:33 PM

Hope he's OK and gets some help. Glad to see a lot of people helped him out when passing through Catavina. I always gave him some spending money, and was entertained with his story's, although while far fetched, always seemed to indicate some surprising reality of what he was talking about. Since he obviously didn't have access to the internet or other news sources, he must have been exposed at some point in his life with some basis for some of his tales. Also saw a few people enjoying openly making fun of him, which he seemed to ignore. It would really be interesting to know his true identity and circumstances.

Ateo - 10-25-2013 at 04:04 PM

Imagine the car ride back to the border. Someone got their ear talked off.

here ya go!

willardguy - 10-25-2013 at 04:16 PM

(from 2012 rip to the tip) pretty much sums it up!;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h50ZpyIEyiE oops, make that rip to cabo!

[Edited on 10-25-2013 by willardguy]

Bajahowodd - 10-25-2013 at 04:51 PM

I am in the same group as Ken. Never noticed him, despite the fact that we have stayed at the hotel with many different names, and I have walked around to the various restaurants and bodegas.

rts551 - 10-25-2013 at 04:57 PM

I never saw him drinking or where he seemed out of it. Just Cigs and stories. I always assumed that there was some kind of mental/emotional illness that kept him from general society.

Too bad we can not find out what his status is.

[Edited on 10-25-2013 by rts551]

willardguy - 10-25-2013 at 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
(from 2012 rip to the tip) pretty much sums it up!;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h50ZpyIEyiE oops, make that rip to cabo!

[Edited on 10-25-2013 by willardguy]
not unlike some nomads:rolleyes:it didnt take long for his tall tales to wear thin!:lol: here's another youtube of senor peso.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dfx-nliurxs

BajaRat - 10-25-2013 at 05:40 PM

With gold prices fluctuating he probably went NOB to change some of his investment portfolios.........

Hook - 10-25-2013 at 06:12 PM

Of the three times I've talked to him, the Strawberry Fields story was the only one that came out all three times. I did also hear references to Natalie Wood, Marilyn and Tarzan. But the Strawberry Fields was the consistent thread.

Then, one day, it hit me. The rather, uh, surreal lyrics of the song seemed to describe him perfectly. I concluded that HE had concluded the same thing and the song references became part of his shtick. I think it just resonated with him very clearly.

Let me take you down
Cause I'm going to
Strawberry Fields
Nothing is real
And nothing to get hung about
Strawberry Fields forever

Living is easy with eyes closed
Misunderstanding all you see
It's getting hard to be someone
But it all works out
It doesn't matter much to me

Let me take you down
Cause I'm going to
Strawberry Fields
Nothing is real

No one I think is in my tree
I mean it must be high or low
That is you can't, you know, tune in
But it's all right
That is I think it's not too bad

Let me take you down
Cause I'm going to
Strawberry Fields
Nothing is real

Always, no sometimes, think it's me
But you know I know when it's a dream
I think I know I mean a yes
But it's all wrong
That is I think I disagree

Let me take you down
Cause I'm going to
Strawberry Fields
Nothing is real

[Edited on 10-26-2013 by Hook]

BajaNomad - 10-25-2013 at 07:32 PM

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=49084

churro - 10-25-2013 at 07:53 PM

I hope he is OK. I would love to toss him a few pesos when I am down that way over the Holidays

Senor Peso

EdZeranski - 10-25-2013 at 08:46 PM

I talked to him many times, always outlandish but harmless. My usual soda stop is the little tienda across the road and just north of the Hotel. One time, not having coins in my pocket, I offered a 50P note but he said it was too much so I dug some coins out of the truck.

EdZ KG6UTS
Colonia Zaragossa

Kgryfon - 10-26-2013 at 03:08 AM

I never met the guy. I watched a bunch of the videos of him. He consistently talks about being kidnapped at age 8, or something else significant happened to him at age 8. Wonder what really happened to him at age 8. In any case, I hope he is doing ok.

durrelllrobert - 10-26-2013 at 09:05 AM

Quote:
He had a good memory and obviously had either been around or read a lot.

and a can opener too?

DENNIS - 10-26-2013 at 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert

and a can opener too?

You gotta catch up, Bob. These treats have pull -tabs. :biggrin:

Mula - 11-8-2013 at 04:55 PM

Any one got an update on Gotta Peso?

woody with a view - 11-8-2013 at 05:08 PM

we'll keep an eye out in 6 days.

BajaBlanca - 11-9-2013 at 10:30 AM

I have never seen gotta peso either.

Schizophrenia is a devastating disease....I have a brilliant (as in extremely high IQ) cousin who exaggerated his drug use and subsequently became schizophrenic. He could walk right by you and not recognize you, the next day seem quite at home. Scary, sad.

LancairDriver - 11-9-2013 at 01:32 PM

Hope he did in fact make it back to the States and get some help. It would be interesting to see how his border crossing went. Probably greatly frustrated the border authorities looking for any drivers license, passport, or other ID.

David K - 11-9-2013 at 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LancairDriver
Hope he did in fact make it back to the States and get some help. It would be interesting to see how his border crossing went. Probably greatly frustrated the border authorities looking for any drivers license, passport, or other ID.

Doesn't he just have to tell him he was 'Boy' in the Tarzan movies, or invented the Hula Hoop, or did he write Roots?

Marla Daily - 12-13-2013 at 11:27 AM

Yesterday passing through Catavina, our friends told us that earlier this year the delegado made arrangements to have Gotta Peso driven to the border where he was met by U.S. Consular officials and handed over to the U.S. for care. We were told he had lived in the chasis of a car in Catavina for the past seven years. With the deterioration of his eyesight, he needed care.

DENNIS - 12-13-2013 at 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marla Daily
Yesterday passing through Catavina, our friends told us that earlier this year the delegado made arrangements to have Gotta Peso driven to the border where he was met by U.S. Consular officials and handed over to the U.S. for care. We were told he had lived in the chasis of a car in Catavina for the past seven years. With the deterioration of his eyesight, he needed care.

I wish him the best.

rts551 - 12-13-2013 at 12:26 PM

hope all goes well. He seemed to find peace in Catavina.

DianaT - 12-13-2013 at 12:34 PM

Quote:
hope all goes well. He seemed to find peace in Catavina.

It is a mixed bag....

güero - 12-13-2013 at 01:25 PM

Marla is correct. He was cleaned up and deported. The locals in Cataviña were worried about his health. He was going blind from diabetis and his general health was declining. He didn't drink alcohol. When he was given a beer he would trade for a coke. Coco Cola was his drug of choice.

David K - 12-13-2013 at 02:52 PM

Did he turn in his FMM before leaving Mexico?:?::light:

I seriously wish this Baja urban legend well... Did anyone write down all the things he invented and movie parts he was in???

mtgoat666 - 12-13-2013 at 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Did he turn in his FMM before leaving Mexico?:?::light:

I seriously wish this Baja urban legend well... Did anyone write down all the things he invented and movie parts he was in???

mental illness as entertainment for the touristas,... :(:(

woody with a view - 12-13-2013 at 04:10 PM

Merry Xmas, GottaPeso!

And a Happy New Year, too!

wherever you are.....

Gotta Peso of Catavina

Pompano - 12-13-2013 at 04:31 PM

It's certainly no secret that photography is a hobby of mine, and over the last few years I looked forward to visiting with Gotta Peso in Catavina and taking his picture. We kidded each other often. I always asked and I believe he was pleased to have his photo taken for internet viewing. Maybe he thought it helped with his 'fame'...at least I hope so.

Now that he is gone from the scene, I shall miss him...and wish him Godspeed on the road to wellness. A toast to the locals who cared enough for him to get him some help.

He joins the long list of Characters of the Baja Road. Some were legends in time, some were just legends in their own mind. Unique and unforgettable...stuff of Baja...being what they are.

Here's some memories of him at Catavina.

Wishing you well, Gitano.

DENNIS - 12-13-2013 at 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

This is a job for Greg Niemann. A new chapter for "Legends of BAJA."

DENNIS - 12-13-2013 at 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
Merry Xmas, GottaPeso!

And a Happy New Year, too!

wherever you are.....

Ditto Deluxe.
Thanks, Woody.

mulegemichael - 12-13-2013 at 06:34 PM

gee whiz are we gonna miss this fixture in our neighborhood!!!.....we counted on him greeting us in catavina as we passed through this past decade...really, really will miss him and wish him the best!....i'll never, ever forget the first time we pulled up to the tienda and i told my bride to "take care of this guy" while i bought us a couple of snacks....when i came back out we were marilyn monroes best friends..!!

Paulina - 12-13-2013 at 07:02 PM

I too wish him well. He told us that his name was Andy, so that's what we always called him. I'm glad that some folks cared enough about Andy to reach out for help, but sad for him at the same time. He must have wanted it, as I can only imagine how the ride north must have been.

I offered him a small fresh yellowtail once. He gladly accepted it, but then had no idea how to cook/eat it. I gave him a few simple suggestions and have always wondered how that went down.

Take care, Andy.

P>*)))>{

tecatero - 12-22-2013 at 06:29 AM

I have great video (2007),need to dig it up, of him telling me about how he invented the "hula hoop" , partying w Marilyn, helping elvis write Blue suede shoes, etc....
As we drove away my son was 8 y/o, he looked at me and said "Dad, did he really invent the hula hoop".........Miss that guy, a true baja folk hero

Hook - 12-22-2013 at 07:09 AM

HA! I KNEW he was a fake!!!

Elvis didn't write Blue Suede Shoes.

Bubba - 12-22-2013 at 08:35 AM

I have never met the man but always enjoyed reading all the posts about him. I hope he gets the medical attention he needs.

BajaNomad - 12-22-2013 at 09:27 AM

http://goo.gl/maps/ThkxL

gottapeso-googlemaps.jpg - 49kB

woody with a view - 12-22-2013 at 09:38 AM

^^^CLASSIC!^^^

KaceyJ - 12-22-2013 at 09:47 AM

He was always harmless and entertaining . Will miss talking with him when going thru town . I have been wondering about his numbered days since a couple of years ago a couple of prominent locals expressed a small amount of grumbling and outrage at the disparity that he was allowed to continue in Catavina and yet the same in their minds would never happen in the USA

I hope he is comfortable and well though I cringe at the idea he may have been substituted the streets of downtown dreg city San Diego for the desert of Baja

vgabndo - 12-22-2013 at 11:47 AM

Thanks Doug. That's Feb. 2009. I wasn't aware that Google had done Street Views down there. You are always teaching something new.

And, Kacey, I'm afraid you are correct. My recent experience with dealing with a mental health crisis in California (not mine:no:) did nothing for my confidence that Andy will get more than the regular 5150 revolving door. Access to free emergency room health maintenance, I suppose, might make it worth leaving the mountains if he was that sick.

The most amazing thing to me is that he was the most visible possible suspect for being an illegal alien, and while most of us worry about having an FMM before we get south of Maneadero, Andy apparently found no need for concern for years on end.

I have to wonder how the immigration officers got to Guerrero Negro all these years without routinely driving past a Gringo pan handler who didn't exactly look like he was on his way to Cabo for a tan. :?:

Good Luck Andy, Whammo sends their thanks!

torch - 12-23-2013 at 08:56 AM

I laugh outloud everytime I remember the story he told us about scuba diving with cheeta (the chimp from tarzan). He actually made the custom dive suit for the monkey.

Mula - 12-23-2013 at 08:58 AM

Some great memories from the conversations with Andy.

watizname - 12-23-2013 at 09:31 AM

The Google Earth thing is amazing. A chance happening now frozen in time. He'll live forever in Cativina now. :wow:

DawnPatrol - 12-23-2013 at 10:33 AM

"Clearly he was one taco short of a combination plate"

Gotta love that one! I am going to use that

BajaNomad - 12-23-2013 at 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by watizname
He'll live forever in Cativina now.

Or, until the next time they come through to update their images.

rts551 - 2-8-2015 at 07:09 PM

Wonder how he is doing today? or if he is even still with us.

Cisco - 2-8-2015 at 07:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h50ZpyIEyiE

KaceyJ - 2-8-2015 at 08:02 PM

Too much sun. Looks like in the video he is in the beginning of having cataracts. Hope he is n a nice place and not some sort of s hole like down town San Diego wandering the streets.

Did anyone ever figure out what he calls himself these days?

bajabuddha - 2-8-2015 at 11:30 PM

He needs to trade his Cataract in on a Rincoln Continental..........

DENNIS - 2-9-2015 at 07:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
He needs to trade his Cataract in on a Rincoln Continental..........

Fuuuuuneeeeeee :lol:

mtgoat666 - 2-9-2015 at 07:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Cisco  

I have never understood what compels people to mock the mentally ill homeless or use the mentally ill homeless for their juvenile entertainment.

Who is rip to cabo?

satmike - 2-9-2015 at 09:13 AM

Cameron Steele

LancairDriver - 2-9-2015 at 11:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

I have never understood what compels people to mock the mentally ill homeless or use the mentally ill homeless for their juvenile entertainment.

Who is rip to cabo?

X2. A lot of Nomads helped him out and treated him with some level of respect, but of course there are always a few who thought being cute at his expense somehow enhanced their image.

woody with a view - 2-9-2015 at 12:55 PM

I don't see any disrespect in the video. Andy loved the attention when someone would interact with him. I'm surprised he could keep his stories straight.

I miss talking to him and hope his money finally arrived!

Back to Gotta Peso

woody with a view - 2-9-2015 at 07:38 PM

The view in Google Earth Street View. I wonder what he was thinking when the car went by with its cameras on top?

[Edited on 2-10-2015 by woody with a view]

[Edited on 2-10-2015 by BajaNomad]

Cisco - 2-9-2015 at 11:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
The view in Google Earth Street View. I wonder what he was thinking when the car went by with its cameras on top?

[Edited on 2-10-2015 by woody with a view]

Great post Woody.

Wherever he is I'm sure his story of the Alien Visitation he thwarted, the super-lazer machine he developed or the da-daa da-da-da-da regarding this incident is being faithfully replicated in the the re-telling for the enjoyment of all.

I enjoyed his stories also and of the couple that I heard more than once I don't recall any discrepancy in the telling.

As BN's we could learn something from that kind of honesty.

[Edited on 2-10-2015 by BajaNomad]

BajaBreak - 2-10-2015 at 02:43 PM

Back in 2014, I believe it was June, after watching the Baja 500, I was pretty sure I came across him on the road to Tecate. Didn't get a picture so maybe it didn't happen.

It was 15 or 20 miles before the border at a market, and the guy looked real similar and pretty rough, asking for a ride up to the border. I had to say no, because I was in a small regular cab truck and didn't have the room, but it sure sounded like him from the videos I've seen. Suppose he would have had to cross back South of the US if he went back to the US in 2013. Not too into driving around with strange characters with me either.

I will forever wonder...

Russ - 2-10-2015 at 02:51 PM

Did a little enhancement.

[Edited on 2-10-2015 by Russ]

willardguy - 2-10-2015 at 03:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBreak  
Back in 2014, I believe it was June, after watching the Baja 500, I was pretty sure I came across him on the road to Tecate. Didn't get a picture so maybe it didn't happen.

It was 15 or 20 miles before the border at a market, and the guy looked real similar and pretty rough, asking for a ride up to the border. I had to say no, because I was in a small regular cab truck and didn't have the room, but it sure sounded like him from the videos I've seen. Suppose he would have had to cross back South of the US if he went back to the US in 2013. Not too into driving around with strange characters with me either.

I will forever wonder...

if he was wearing an Indian Jones hat and sporting a shirt from the richie cunningham collection, and claiming to have discovered several lost missions and invented the A-trac, that was our own DK! :lol:

StuckSucks - 2-10-2015 at 03:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaNomad  

Or, until the next time they come through to update their images.

This Street View image is dated Feb 2009, so I'm sure there's an update lurking.

BajaBreak - 2-10-2015 at 03:47 PM

I didn't get it at first, but oh now I do, hahaha. Leave DK alone! ;) I have got to get an Indiana Jones hat...

I felt bad not helping him, but figured there were still a lot of folks going up from the race. Guy just kind of popped up at my door and I believe the first thing he said was 'you got a peso?'. He seemed really desperate, but maybe it was someone else. Thought I'd post it in case there were sightings in that area...

LancairDriver - 2-10-2015 at 04:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
Quote: Originally posted by BajaBreak  

I will forever wonder...

if he was wearing an Indian Jones hat and sporting a shirt from the richie cunningham collection, and claiming to have discovered several lost missions and invented the A-trac, that was our own DK! :lol:

????What a strange obsession with DK to insert a comment on a thread concerning Gotta Peso. Maybe start another thread to get it out of your system?

Tbone - 2-10-2015 at 04:03 PM

Who is rip to cabo?

Why do people laugh at farts?

bajabuddha - 2-10-2015 at 04:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Tbone  

Who is rip to cabo?

Why do people laugh at farts?

I know why they smell funny;

.........so deaf people can enjoy 'em too! :light: