BajaNomad

Tuna pens in tow - La Paz area. Any sightings ?

amirravon - 10-24-2013 at 10:36 PM

Can somebody confirm that the Tuna pens from Ensenada are really have been towed to La Paz ? Any info/ Location will be helpful... Thanks

Mula - 10-25-2013 at 05:28 AM

I don't know about this, but there are tuna pens around Mag Bay now.

amirravon - 10-25-2013 at 05:34 AM

Are thy under tow ?

Mula - 10-25-2013 at 05:55 AM

No.

Tuna pens

captkw - 10-25-2013 at 07:54 AM

I am no expert on tuna pens,,but to tow from way up there down around the cape and then up to la paz...That's stupid !!

comitan - 10-25-2013 at 07:55 AM

Its my understanding they are towing them to Japan.

beachbum1A - 10-25-2013 at 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
Its my understanding they are towing them to Japan.

I LIKE THAT!!

comitan - 10-25-2013 at 10:00 AM

Japanese Herd Our Tuna Off To Japan

And they make them swim all the way!

If you fish below the border, tuna pens are not an unfamiliar sight. These huge circular pens, roughly 150 feet wide and 50 feet deep, are the temporary homes to bluefin tuna that are fattened up before being sent to the Japanese fish market – sometimes dragged at an agonizingly slow two knots across the Pacific, all the way to Japan.

Wayde Nichols aboard his 48 foot Señor Jefe managed to steer his boat into the middle of a floating tuna pen nearly half the size of a football field. To get out, the outer ring was submerged by the crew of the tow boat to allow them to drive out.

During their 12 hour ordeal in the tuna pen, the Señor Jefe crew members alternated between fright and excitement. During the period of intense negotiations to free their boat, they experienced the adrenaline rush of a wide open tuna bite inside the pen.

Nothing stands between the Japanese and their sushi. It’s just another high seas hazard that might give you grief or it might provide you with some of the best catches of the day.

What does the law say about this? Is this legal? Yes, they do have permits from the Mexican Government to grow the fish.

I know why they are moving them

durrelllrobert - 10-25-2013 at 10:18 AM

I sent an email to the Ensenada Port Captain explaining that the pens off Punta Banda were interfering with my view. Sure enough they started moving them the next day :lol::lol::lol:

Alan - 10-25-2013 at 03:31 PM

Comitan, I also saw that article in the GG and really had to just laugh out loud but it is something I would expect from that paper. (always trying to stir controversy).

It just isn't cost effective to tow those pens all the way to Japan. I have a neighbor who has pens. When they buy a school that has been wrapped they transfer them from the net to a towing pen and then tow that to the grow out pens. The article is correct in that they can't be towed over 2kts so with just the normal ocean currents many days they actually lose ground.

The sportfisher in the article I believe is the one that ran into a pen at the Coronado Islands just below San Diego. Those pens have been there for years and are pretty well marked with radar reflectors and even lights. My guess is that someone was on autopilot and asleep at the helm.

Alan - 10-25-2013 at 03:45 PM

The pens next to Isla Gaviota just outside Pichilingue are grow out pens for Amberjack (a warmer water relative of the yellowtail). These are operated by Rancheros del Mar. The pens are currently empty as the brood stock and now their fry are still in their hatchery. When the fry reach a certain size they will be transferred back to the grow out pens from which they will eventually be sold and FLOWN to Japan.

I have heard someone is considering a farm for YFT yet I don't know where they are with that project but it is much more cost effective to disassemble the pens in Ensenada and truck them to La Paz to be reassembled. La Paz water is much to warm in summer for BFT.

amirravon - 10-25-2013 at 05:48 PM

Thanks guys for the info, If anybody happened to see the 6-7 Tuna pens under tow anywhere in Baja please replay to this post.
Any info will be appreciated.

Amir