BajaNomad

Good Yellowail Bite in Asuncion...killer sunset!

shari - 10-26-2013 at 07:07 PM

Man oh Man...I love October weather! It was a gorgeous day here today perfect for the fishermen who got easy limits of yellowtail but have noodle arms tonight from jigging.

Fishing, shrimp tacos at Don Ramons, a big plate of sashimi and c-cktail hour up on the Abalone Suite deck with Chuckie & his amigo for a beauty of a sunset.....ahhhhhh baja!

only sad part was saying hasta pronto to Baja Gypsies who are headed back to the snow in Saskatchewan...ewwww. We had a great farewell dinner at Keykos...best pina coladas on the peninsula! Have a safe journey amigos.

churro - 10-26-2013 at 07:14 PM

Nice Shots! Nice Fish!

mulegemichael - 10-26-2013 at 08:02 PM

OH!...i so wish we were there right now....opening an antique bookstore is NOT that much fun when i thought i was retired...we will be in the beachhouse this winter SOMETIME!!...i promise!

shari - 10-26-2013 at 08:34 PM

oh geeze Michael....yeah...sooooo much work! You will deserve a vacation to pull on some fish lips soon.

rdrrm8e - 10-26-2013 at 10:31 PM

Shari

Figures I was one day off.....:wow:

I got home ok and took care of the issue I promised

Love to you and Juan

I left my chair. That chair has literally been around the world with me

I'd love to get it back if anybody is coming north

shari - 10-27-2013 at 08:18 AM

is that the chair that watches the blowhole all day? Should I send it north with someone? Glad you got home fine...thanks again amigo

bryanmckenzie - 10-27-2013 at 08:49 AM

Sweet! I cannot wait to spend a half day fishing! And finally getting to see this (yet another) beautiful part of Baja and meeting everyone. I've never hooked a yellowtail.

[Edited on 2013-10-27 by bryanmckenzie]

rdrrm8e - 10-27-2013 at 09:15 AM

Yes Shari...the green chair with my name on it

If somebody is coming north on the 5 fwy I will meet them

Thanks

Green Chair retrieval

bryanmckenzie - 10-27-2013 at 10:17 AM

I can help you out, rdrrm8e. I know what it's like to lose a favorite chair or two (one in San Felipe and one in in Los Cabos).

I'll be crossing northbound I-5 at San Ysidro (approx 4pm I hope) on Nov. 14 from El Rosario, headed to Anaheim. Changing out rental vehicle at SAN airport, a stop in San Marcos, then onward. Where would you like to meet? Will this date work for you?

-Bryan

Quote:
Originally posted by rdrrm8e
Yes Shari...the green chair with my name on it

If somebody is coming north on the 5 fwy I will meet them

Thanks

SHARI

captkw - 10-27-2013 at 11:49 AM

Hola,what were they "jigging"??? Thanks....K&T:cool:

shari - 10-27-2013 at 01:57 PM

Bryan....that's perfect...chair rescue!
They were jigging big irons for YT.

Today they got a nice mixed bag and Alan who is building a home here caught his first ever yellowtail!!! White fish for ceviche, calico, bonita and sheepshead..nice mixed bag and a gorgeous day on the water.

the face only a mother could love....hahahaha

woody with a view - 10-27-2013 at 02:23 PM

they don't call them Vieja for no reason!:biggrin:

white fish is some good eating!!!!

keep the reports coming! we hope to be in the hood in 3 weeks.

[Edited on 10-27-2013 by woody with a view]

"Tossing iron"

captkw - 10-27-2013 at 02:35 PM

Yep, Its a workout ! I have found crab to be the bait of choice on the sheepheads..like butter to them !!!

willardguy - 10-27-2013 at 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bryanmckenzie
Sweet! I cannot wait to spend a half day fishing! And finally getting to see this (yet another) beautiful part of Baja and meeting everyone. I've never hooked a yellowtail.

you might want to clarify that immediately after the photo was snapped the marlin was resuscitated, released, and swam off happily to fight another day! (otherwise these nomads will have you drawn and quartered):lol:

chuckie - 10-27-2013 at 04:41 PM

I think it was a saifish..and no way was it released after being handled like that....

Kgryfon - 10-27-2013 at 04:49 PM

What kind of fish is the red and black one? Awesome catch and pictures!

Pacifico - 10-27-2013 at 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kgryfon
What kind of fish is the red and black one? Awesome catch and pictures!

Sheepshead.....good eating!

Kgryfon

captkw - 10-27-2013 at 05:40 PM

That's a sheephead and tastes like lobster and will take your finger off easly..they eat barnacles,mussels,crabs and just about they can sink their teeth into,Which is about anything..I use wire leader with no weight from shore in the crevices of rocks...same for chio mira AKA clown fish...sorry they ARE nOT IN THE EAST BAY:lol:

bryanmckenzie - 10-27-2013 at 05:46 PM

Sorry, Chuckie ... we/I did decided to release the sailfish (hopefully with minimal harm). It was a beauty. But the little girl was just a baby and needed a few more years. We put her back in the sea. All of us, gladly. I just had a momentary photo opp. And that made my day! I didn't need any more than that.

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
I think it was a saifish..and no way was it released after being handled like that....
:bounce:

[Edited on 2013-10-28 by bryanmckenzie]

Pescador - 10-28-2013 at 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bryanmckenzie
Sorry, Chuckie ... we/I did decided to release the sailfish (hopefully with minimal harm). It was a beauty. But the little girl was just a baby and needed a few more years. We put her back in the sea. All of us, gladly. I just had a momentary photo opp. And that made my day! I didn't need any more than that.

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
:bounce:

Most of the sailfish that get hauled up on the back deck and handled like that do not survive. While they may swim off and you are busy congratulating yourself on the release, they suffer slime problems, back and internal injuries and according to the Billfish Foundation, most will die within the year. Even though it is pretty common practice, it is still destructive to the fish and causes a lot of mortality. It is better to leave them in the water and snap all the photos you want.

bryanmckenzie - 10-28-2013 at 01:22 PM

Thanks for explaining that, Pescador. I didn't know that. And no one else mentioned anything either, crew or other attendees. Since I'm more of a deep sea drinker than a deep sea fisherman, I shall heed your advice in the future. And stick with Dorado and Tellowtail and the like.

Yippie ... trip starts tomorrow! And intersects the Baja 1000 race on November 14.

bryanmckenzie - 10-28-2013 at 01:25 PM

Sorry, Willardguy. That Marlin was very tasty that evening. And the next several weeks back home. And at the malecon restaurants in CSL. :biggrin:

Kgryfon - 10-28-2013 at 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
That's a sheephead and tastes like lobster and will take your finger off easly..they eat barnacles,mussels,crabs and just about they can sink their teeth into,Which is about anything..I use wire leader with no weight from shore in the crevices of rocks...same for chio mira AKA clown fish...sorry they ARE nOT IN THE EAST BAY:lol:

With the teeth and the coloring they look like vampire fish...bwah ha ha!! Perfect time of year to catch one! ;D And you're right, I have never seen one around these parts!

chuckie - 10-28-2013 at 05:50 PM

What Pecador said..doubtful it survived....

letting go

captkw - 10-28-2013 at 06:11 PM

Most of the time its best to cut the leader next to the mouth..And yes that depends on the hook and many factors...Such as a long dragged out fight will actually drown a marlin,shark...but,,taking a fish out of the water even for a pic is not the best way to go...keep in the water and don't mess with their protecting mucas/slime.....I have seen fish released and while running back to port the fish was bottom's up(floating dead) on the surface after the angler was long gone....Glad that folks are protecting whats left !!:cool:

Skipjack Joe - 10-28-2013 at 11:55 PM

Yes, that sailfish will probably not survive. It is exhausted. Once a sailfish gets that brown brassy coloration it means that he's really tired and has lactic acid buildup in his blood. A sailfish should be released while it's back still has a purple color and the sides are pretty pale. Fishing with really light tackle, or flyfishing, or bringing up on board pretty much spells doom to the fish.

No way you could have known. The Mexican guides didn't know when I fished. I've released them in that condition as well.

boe4fun - 10-29-2013 at 07:37 AM

Shelley once used a sheepshead to make a "mock lobster salad" which we served at a party we had. Everyone there thought we had sprung for the real stuff!

shari - 10-29-2013 at 08:16 AM

I make necklaces out of the teeth and people think they are dolphin teeth!
sheepshead....the great pretenders!

bryanmckenzie - 10-30-2013 at 10:48 AM

Thanks everyone. I had no idea. I feel like such a schmuck. I wish the crew or the reservations person or someone had given us a short educational session on what to expect and behave like a conscientious visitor and sometimes angler. :(

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Yes, that sailfish will probably not survive. It is exhausted. Once a sailfish gets that brown brassy coloration it means that he's really tired and has lactic acid buildup in his blood. A sailfish should be released while it's back still has a purple color and the sides are pretty pale. Fishing with really light tackle, or flyfishing, or bringing up on board pretty much spells doom to the fish.

No way you could have known. The Mexican guides didn't know when I fished. I've released them in that condition as well.

Pescador - 10-30-2013 at 06:30 PM

Well, BryanMcKenzie I really feel that you are an upstanding citizen to take the information and receive in the vein in which it was intended. It has been a longstanding custom for people to drag the small marlin and sailfish up on the deck for a photo and then throw them back in the water thinking that they had acted in a really positive and sensitive way. But the truth has slowly evolved and there will always be some captains who will continue to do that even though all the new research has shown it is detrimental. My favorite quote is:

C-P-R Is A Sham
Releasing billfish has grown in popularity in the last few years, and that is a good thing. But there is still a segment of the angling community that feels a need for some kind of trophy to commemorate their achievement. Out of this need was born the concept of c-p-r - catch-photograph-release. This idea of this misguided procedure is to catch the fish, hoist it out of the water to get a good photograph, and then release it "unharmed". While admirable in its goal, it is dangerously unrealistic in practice. The skeleton of a billfish was not designed to support the weight of its body out of the buoyant protection of the water, and serious damage can be done to its internal organs. And, as any fisherman knows, handling a fish causes damage to its protective slime coat, greatly increasing the change of infection or infestation. Billfish are beautiful creatures that provide us with wonderful entertainment but which need our protection. If the memory of the battle is not sufficient reward for you, perhaps you should seek a different pastime.

Stan

So if you are ever in the Santa Rosalia area and want to go out fishing for a day, just stop by and I would be happy to take you out.

chuckie - 10-30-2013 at 06:52 PM

The best part about the sunset Shari showed us was that she was sitting with us on the upstairs patio when she took that picture......Love the place, love her and Juan....gonna keep going back.....

bryanmckenzie - 10-30-2013 at 06:54 PM

Pescador, Stan ...

Thank you. I think. Only because I'm feeling even scmhuckier than before my last post. I want to (and try to) be a good enviro-citizen, but it sucks when you're having fun, told to catch-and-release, and yet that's messed up! Dangnabbit! I'm trying to balance Baja-fun with doing the right thing.

I want to be a good Baja Nomad. As most all off us do. Yet, some of us need just a bit of "education." Thank you for straightening out at least this one person.

-Bryan

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
Well, BryanMcKenzie I really feel that you are an upstanding citizen to take the information and receive in the vein in which it was intended. It has been a longstanding custom for people to drag the small marlin and sailfish up on the deck for a photo and then throw them back in the water thinking that they had acted in a really positive and sensitive way. But the truth has slowly evolved and there will always be some captains who will continue to do that even though all the new research has shown it is detrimental. My favorite quote is:

C-P-R Is A Sham
Releasing billfish has grown in popularity in the last few years, and that is a good thing. But there is still a segment of the angling community that feels a need for some kind of trophy to commemorate their achievement. Out of this need was born the concept of c-p-r - catch-photograph-release. This idea of this misguided procedure is to catch the fish, hoist it out of the water to get a good photograph, and then release it "unharmed". While admirable in its goal, it is dangerously unrealistic in practice. The skeleton of a billfish was not designed to support the weight of its body out of the buoyant protection of the water, and serious damage can be done to its internal organs. And, as any fisherman knows, handling a fish causes damage to its protective slime coat, greatly increasing the change of infection or infestation. Billfish are beautiful creatures that provide us with wonderful entertainment but which need our protection. If the memory of the battle is not sufficient reward for you, perhaps you should seek a different pastime.

Stan

So if you are ever in the Santa Rosalia area and want to go out fishing for a day, just stop by and I would be happy to take you out.

WoW,,,Awesome!!

captkw - 10-30-2013 at 07:41 PM

quote "C-P-R Is A Sham
Releasing billfish has grown in popularity in the last few years, and that is a good thing""" ............ Being I cant spell,,,type,,,write....but have spent my life on the water..and have run a lot of fishing trips...that post was RIGHT on the Money..but,, at least folks are releasing more fish than ever and that is a good start!! A big fish should never leave the water for a reel release !!:cool:

[Edited on 10-31-2013 by captkw]

Skipjack Joe - 10-30-2013 at 10:49 PM

On the other hand C&R has been hugely successful in the freshwater world. You can expect to catch fish as large as they were in the 1930's in many of the trophy trout rivers throughout the west due to C&R. I believe studies have shown that over 90% of trout released by flyfishermen and those using single barbless hooks will survive. There are trout in these rivers that are caught 4-5 times every season.

But that's because the tackle being used doesn't really stress the fish that hard. The trout is brought in in a reasonable amount of time without any exhausting runs and are hooked in the lip. But when these same flyfishermen fly down to Las Arenas and fish for tuna with a flyrod it's very different. A 25-30lb tuna can take an hour to subdue with a flyrod and it's only coming in because it is totally drained, usually on it's side, no longer able to swim upright.