BajaNomad

TSA: my Baja luggage looks suspicious ??

bryanmckenzie - 10-30-2013 at 10:15 AM

So I'm getting ready for bed, open my suitcase, see things out of place, along with a TSA inspection tag.

Dammit! TSA inspected my one checked bag again. It's a domestic flight. What could they possibly have seen this time that interested them so much to go through my luggage???

Oops, now that I unload, I think I see what they saw on some sort of X-ray or scanner equipment. When put together I guess it makes sense.

In case you can't figure it out:

(1) a blood pressure monitor that I suppose could look like a timer
(2) a car AC-DC inverter that I guess they could confuse with a battery or detonator
(3) a plastic bag full or architectural drawing equipment (triangles, scales, templates, calculator and the like) that I suppose could be confused as shrapnel.

My bad. :P

HI-RES photo

[Edited on 2013-10-30 by bryanmckenzie]

Heather - 10-30-2013 at 11:24 AM

I always get those in my luggage, or in my kids' luggage. Thought they were just random checks!

empty bags are also suspicious

Whale-ista - 10-30-2013 at 11:33 AM

I once used a large duffel bag to ship household goods to another location while working away from home. On the return flight I simply checked the bag, empty, to use for the next load.

It was checked by TSA, and I received the courtesy note. Hmmm.. suspiciously empty...

motoged - 10-30-2013 at 11:35 AM

I lock my luggage....so I need to be there when they rifle through my stuff. It was interesting in LAX when the guy thought the cylinders of chocolate from Oaxaca were dynamite when viewing the bag in Xray....

bryanmckenzie - 10-30-2013 at 11:42 AM

I've had it happen several times. Including to Europe. And domestic flights. In Frankfurt, Lufthansa/security pulled ONLY my think portable flatbed scanner, took it to a secure room and had it "sniffed." Another time only my 3Dconnexion device was pulled out and scrutinized (thru Xray machine). Ditto at Baja land crossing, Tijuana secondary, that item was pulled and checked. For those wondering, it's an awesome type of "joystick" / navigator that works awesome with Google Earth.

Ironically, this time they didn't bother with that device as I carry it with my laptop and more on me, on board.

philodog - 10-31-2013 at 09:05 AM

I bought a gallon can of maple syrup in New Hampshire for a gift and found TSA had broken the seal, saw it wasn`t gasoline, screwed the cap back on but not quite tight enough. Ruined the gift and my suitcase.

bkbend - 10-31-2013 at 09:09 AM

Years ago I was camping at one of the campos south of San Felipe and took the kids out to the sulpher mine for an afternoon. Came home and had to take a flight for work shortly after. Wearing the same shoes. After the x-ray my stuff went through the sniffer and I was pulled aside to explain the explosives residue they found. Fortunately, it's a small airport and I knew the TSA guy from other activities so the grilling wasn't too bad.

bryanmckenzie - 10-31-2013 at 10:33 AM

I have an idea for the return trip ... I'm just going to lay that little slip right on top of everything. What do you think they'll think? :P

(1) he never opened his suitcase
(2) "Hey, did one of you guys already check this one?"
(3) wise guy, go through it really thoroughly and make a mess

motoged - 10-31-2013 at 10:37 AM

Just leave a week's worth of soiled underwear as the top layer in your suitcase....:biggrin:

MIGHT IT HAVE BEEN THE TEE SHIRT YOU WERE WEARING?

DavidE - 10-31-2013 at 02:06 PM

vgabndo - 10-31-2013 at 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE

:lol::lol:i In this day and age in a city, I'd have to see wrinkles moving in those sticks before I got completely comfortable. Cheese and rice, THAT will get you noticed.

bryanmckenzie - 10-31-2013 at 06:49 PM

Nope, the TSA missed the obvious. I now have that here in Rosarito. Hmm, maybe I should take that down to Chiapas. :spingrin: :spingrin: :spingrin:

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE
:spingrin:

Feathers - 10-31-2013 at 07:50 PM

I got the same 'flyer' in my luggage when I flew to Tennessee last month.

Muchas Gracias PATRIOT ACT! I feel so much safer. :O

Feathers - 10-31-2013 at 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
I lock my luggage....so I need to be there when they rifle through my stuff. It was interesting in LAX when the guy thought the cylinders of chocolate from Oaxaca were dynamite when viewing the bag in Xray....

hmmm... the 'flyer' in my luggage said they have the authority to circumvent (bust open) ANY locked carry-on luggage.

Just sayin'.

bryanmckenzie - 10-31-2013 at 09:22 PM

They do. Check Patriot Act. And TSA policies n& Procedures. It's why I leave mine unlocked with easy access.

Quote:
Originally posted by Feathers
Quote:
Originally posted by motoged

hmmm... the 'flyer' in my luggage said they have the authority to circumvent (bust open) ANY locked carry-on luggage.

Just sayin'.

watizname - 11-1-2013 at 08:18 AM

My wife brought a bag of salt back once, because of the picture of the whale on it. Our bags "disappeared" for about a half hour, and they questioned us about why we were bringing a bag of salt back. :rolleyes:

bryanmckenzie - 11-1-2013 at 02:21 PM

Salt ??? :o
Bags disappeared for 30 minutes? :?:
Air travel or land crossing???

Quote:
Originally posted by watizname
My wife brought a bag of salt back once, because of the picture of the whale on it. Our bags "disappeared" for about a half hour, and they questioned us about why we were bringing a bag of salt back. :rolleyes:

watizname - 11-1-2013 at 03:45 PM

Air- back to Florida when we lived there. I guess, the "sniffer" picked up the sodium and that raised a flag. Still, they had a hard time believing we were bringing back a one pound bag of salt from Mexico. Still have the bag with the gray whale on it somewhere's around here. :tumble:

LaRibereņa - 11-4-2013 at 08:48 AM

Returning to the US, Martin's bag was pulled off for inspection. "What's this?" "It's a kilo of tortillas. What's the problem?" "It could be hot." "Nah, they're cold - I bought 'em this morning."

BigOly - 11-4-2013 at 09:16 AM

I have to take our cat out of her carry bag when going through screening at the airports. While holding the cat, nowadays, they always rub pads over both my hands and check them for residue.

Collect the whole set!!!!

EdZeranski - 11-4-2013 at 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bryanmckenzie
So I'm getting ready for bed, open my suitcase, see things out of place, along with a TSA inspection tag.

I traveled all over the world for almost 48 years doing communications systems, about/at least 125000 airmiles a year. When TSA( Those Sorry A**holes) started putting the visit tags in my bags I saved them with double stick tape sticking them to the lid of the boxes with an engraved plastic sign saying "Collect the Whole Set". My bags were aluminum Halliburtons with the rubber gasket. TSA seems like welfare unemployables sucking up an easy job, swaggering personal power, but not protecting much.

EdZ