BajaNomad

Encouraging News For Ensenada

Bajahowodd - 10-30-2013 at 05:00 PM

I just read on the Lonely Planet web site that Princess Cruises has two ships that will make Hawaiian cruises between November and April that includes a stop at Ensenada. Before the big drug war kerfuffle, there were a number of cruise lines that originated their cruises in Ensenada. The US law (The Jones Act) prohibits foreign flagged ships from making trips that begin and end in the US unless they make a foreign port of call. From waht I can gather, the Princess ships will be making a total of 29 calls on Ensenada between November and April.

EnsenadaDr - 10-30-2013 at 07:41 PM

It's not Hawaii, but it's close!!

Nappo - 10-30-2013 at 09:36 PM

We saw one cruise ship in Ensenada on our way down to La Bocana on Oct 22 and coming back today, Oct 30, there were 2 in port.
Seems the fear may be backing off. Not sure the names or where they originated, but good to see tourists coming back to Baja.

Bajahowodd - 10-31-2013 at 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Nappo
We saw one cruise ship in Ensenada on our way down to La Bocana on Oct 22 and coming back today, Oct 30, there were 2 in port.
Seems the fear may be backing off. Not sure the names or where they originated, but good to see tourists coming back to Baja.

Good to know. Way back before the cartel madness, a number of cruise lines use Ensenada for their embarkation port for Hawaiian cruises. In those days, the lines had their passengers fly into San Diego and they were bussed to Ensenada to spend the night in hotels such as Nico Saad's San Nicolas and Hotel Corona. The overnight stay was a real boon to the local restaurant economy.

Unfortunately, when the mierda hit the fan with the cartel thing, many cruise lines, that merely stopped on the way elsewhere, just stopped calling on Ensenada.

DENNIS - 10-31-2013 at 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd

Unfortunately, when the mierda hit the fan with the cartel thing, many cruise lines, that merely stopped on the way elsewhere, just stopped calling on Ensenada.

Funny....isn't it, when the local Mexican newspapers will print fotos of people....that's headless people,...... hanging from overpasses, what it will do to a tourism industry.
No telling how sensitive the pampered and fickle can be.

Bajahowodd - 11-1-2013 at 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd

Funny....isn't it, when the local Mexican newspapers will print fotos of people....that's headless people,...... hanging from overpasses, what it will do to a tourism industry.
No telling how sensitive the pampered and fickle can be.

I realize that you are attempting humor, but maybe folks have bad memories. The mierda was really thick for several years. I have no clue why the bad guys backed off the grizzly stuff, but it certainly affected a huge number of folks who simply wanted to work an honest day for a living.