BajaNomad

Halloween in Rosarito: Crowds & Craziness!

bryanmckenzie - 10-31-2013 at 06:53 PM

While I've never much liked Halloween as an adult, this is a new wrinkle. Crazy people and drivers all over Avenida Benito Juarez this evening. Way too many cars, way too much screaming, horns, pedestrians etc. for my liking. I shall walk to a nearby restaurant and enjoy a meal and a beverage. There is no way in heck that I am operating a motor vehicle this evening among the craziness. Photos in my TRIP REPORT tomorrow, if anything is worthy this evening.

[Edited on 2013-11-1 by bryanmckenzie]

DENNIS - 10-31-2013 at 07:11 PM

Another example of customs being mangled and misused. Halloween is for kids....not adults acting like drunk children.
Rosarito has a way of commercializing most everything to a fault.

bryanmckenzie - 10-31-2013 at 09:24 PM

Yes. Wait until you see the videos from this evening. Tomorrow.
Dennis, are you joining BajaDock & myself for lunch Saturday?

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Another example of customs being mangled and misused. Halloween is for kids....not adults acting like drunk children.
Rosarito has a way of commercializing most everything to a fault.

CJ - 10-31-2013 at 10:20 PM

Well We just enjoyed the Halloween in Loreto immensely the adults and the children. Dennis get off your computer and go out and smell the roses. Just a thought...CJ:cool:

David K - 10-31-2013 at 10:24 PM

I though Mexico had a Day of the Dead tomorrow or the next day... and Halloween was a gringo event? Here in SoCal, they celebrate both (for some cultural awareness)! Maybe Mexico now has both too?:light::?:

nandopedal - 11-1-2013 at 07:42 AM

Yes David you are correct, this days we all jump into the "Cultural awareness wagon".......5 d' mayo. oh I hear the bells!

Getting out to smell the Rosaritos ....

bryanmckenzie - 11-1-2013 at 09:00 AM

So I took CJ's advice and got off the computer and went walkabout on Halloween evening to find some dinner. As best I could tell walking about a mile each way and having a bite to eat, I was the only token Gringo anywhere to be found. I kinda liked that. Mass throngs of people and noise everywhere. Here are a few pictures from yesterday evening and four, short (low-res) videos.

Halloween Video 1 (WMV format)

Halloween Video 2 (WMV format)

Halloween Video 3 (WMV format)

Halloween Video 4 (WMV format)

The have steel chain and heavy duty padlock to the apartment parking area. Yes, when you get a key to stay overnight, this is where you put the key.

They came by car and truck and van, crammed full of kids and adults dressed in all sorts of costumes, spilling out the doors and pickup beds, storming a business locale for candy, before clamoring back into their vehicles to assault the next location. Watch the video. Listen to the cacophany of sounds. In a way it was kinda neat to walk among all this revillry without actually taking part in it.
Sipping a cold Pacifico and eating a fat beef-stuffed quesadilla watching the world drift by was a nice ending to a beautiful day.

[Edited on 2013-11-1 by bryanmckenzie]

DavidE - 11-1-2013 at 10:37 AM

Baja California has become like Santa Ana, or Fresno. Dias de los Muertos is virtually unknown and other than chopping weeds and painting in the panteon, unrecognized.

El Halloween, Seņor Santa Claus, y El Easter Bunny now infects la gente. Taco Bell and microwave enchiladas are sure to follow.

BajaBlanca - 11-1-2013 at 10:48 AM

Even the girl in the tortilleria is dressed up!

Well, When Your Economy is Dependent on Tourism

Gypsy Jan - 11-1-2013 at 12:42 PM

Any excuse to get dressed up and party is sufficient.

Tourist dollars have been pretty scarce on the ground in Rosarito the last few years, so I am pretty sure the merchants are doing all they can to prime the pump.

Our observant friends are going to mass today for the Dia de Todos Santos (Day of All Saints) mass and tomorrow they and their families will be heading up to the cemetery with flowers, food and other tokens for the Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead).

It is a heartfelt and moving experience to observe.

Skipjack Joe - 11-1-2013 at 01:15 PM

Don't think it has much to do with tourism. Kids want what they see on television. Once a critical mass is reached they do it because their friends are doing it.

Dare I say it? Yes, it's one of the issues that irks the Muslim Fundamentalists so much in the Middle East. No, not Halloween ... loss of culture.

[Edited on 11-1-2013 by Skipjack Joe]

bryanmckenzie - 11-1-2013 at 01:21 PM

Jan & Joe,

That's why I pointed out that I was seemingly the only Gringo in all of town. This thing in Mexico has a life of its own, seemingly importing American "values" --- consumerism. Alas, Mexico is importing from us our worst values --- junk food, diabetes, buy-buy-buy, etc. 'Nuf said.

-Bryan

its diversity bro

EdZeranski - 11-3-2013 at 08:34 AM

Quote:
[ Crazy people and drivers all over Avenida Benito Juarez this evening. Way too many cars, way too much screaming, horns, pedestrians etc. for my liking.
\\

Sounds like the Malecon in Loreto on Friday/Saturday/socker celebrations back before it was torn up and gas was a bit cheaper. Anyway, why worry about a "new" holiday/celebration starting???> Isn't that part of sainted DIVERSITY:?::?: