BajaNomad

Introduction

JAG - 11-1-2013 at 08:22 AM

Hello, I have followed the BN forum for several years now and thought I would introduce myself and maybe help some newbies with some of their questions.
I have been coming down to Baja since I was 16 and now at 67 after visiting and fishing most of the areas, My wife Sherry and I only travel the paved roads in order to explore more of the forgotten and seldom traveled areas.
We live in Rosarito at our house for most of the year and when it gets damp and cold we take a break in AZ.

DENNIS - 11-1-2013 at 08:34 AM

Welcome to BajaNomad, Sr. Jag. Nice of you to offer your expertise. Greatly appreciated.

bajacalifornian - 11-1-2013 at 08:45 AM

Hey! Welcome also.

I did, however stumble on "only travel the paved roads in order to explore more of the forgotten and seldom traveled areas".

Would these be the same areas as one finds off-road?

JAG - 11-1-2013 at 09:13 AM

No not necessarily,

bajadock - 11-1-2013 at 10:13 AM

Good Morning and welcome JAG,
What are some of your first memories of early Baja experiences?

Your favorite taco shop and/or mariscos restaurant in your area?

JAG - 11-1-2013 at 10:42 AM

I have fond memories of The Long Bar in Tijuana, Hussongs, El Charro. Fishing at Lopez Mateos, East Cape etc. Diving at Tres Hermanos and catching a lobster that was as long as the width of the hood of my 57 chevy. Sherry and I have traveled up and down the whole Pacific coast twice in our boat stopping all along the way to Panama. Its a long story. Hopefully I can give some input to those in need.

DENNIS - 11-1-2013 at 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JAG
I have fond memories of The Long Bar in Tijuana,

Ohhh yeah...."rites of passage" memories.
How about the Foreign Club after the Bullfights?

JAG - 11-1-2013 at 10:59 AM

Thats one I missed, Infact I have never heard of it ?

shari - 11-1-2013 at 11:00 AM

welcome to the fray Jag...I would be interested to hear your experiences of living in Rosarito and of course other baja stuff you have experienced.

vgabndo - 11-1-2013 at 11:08 AM

I already feel like I'd like to sit across a campfire from you and hear stories, the road to Campo Serena is all paved! I hope that happens. Bienvenidos al 'sandbox'.

JAG - 11-1-2013 at 11:42 AM

Lets see, Bahia Asuncion. Hi Shari, a couple of months ago we rented the orange house behind Udo's for a couple of days and found the Hueso Ballena 20 miles south of your place. Had a wonderful time and really enjoyed talking at dinner.

DENNIS - 11-1-2013 at 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JAG
Thats one I missed, Infact I have never heard of it ?

Sheltered life, eh. :lol:

bryanmckenzie - 11-1-2013 at 01:06 PM

Hi JAG. And welcome.

I am in Rosarito right now for one more night, before heading south.
I, too, shall be doing just "pavement" on this trip (rental car from San Diego) and will miss going OR just a bit.

I am going to dinner this evening at Splash Restaurant (about Km 51-ish, as I recall) about 6pm. I'm meeting BornFisher at Km-38 at 5pm at Mario's Baja Open House real estate office at 5:00pm next to the K-38 surf shop, then checking in at his house for the night, before going to Splash to see friends, eat & have a margarita.

Do the two of you feel like joining us?
It sounds like you have some great stories to share. TRIP MAP and trip report HERE.

[Edited on 2013-11-1 by bryanmckenzie]

JAG - 11-1-2013 at 01:30 PM

Bryan, Nice to hear from you, but I am across the border for a few days. Thanks for the invite