BajaNomad

Rather Than Carry A Ton Of ID...

DavidE - 11-2-2013 at 12:59 PM

I'd rather go north without my Mexican passport (they are insanely difficult and expensive to replace and SRE demands they remain crisp like brand new for official transactions in Mexico. Same for the IFE I.D. card.

So, to the point...

I do not use a tourist card. Am I going to run headlong into that knothead INM (immigration) at the the paralelo 28 ag inspection near Guerrero Negro when I come back?

Or has the station been closed for awhile?

I am not allowed (gran delito) to falsely use an FMM, and I found out a couple of years ago INM does keep track of passports, all of them for dual nationalities.

Thanks.

Finally starting the medical process that will re-unite me with my family. Next step: Surgery...

woody with a view - 11-2-2013 at 01:04 PM

take the airport road and bypass or roll the dice or carry your papers....

comitan - 11-2-2013 at 01:08 PM

#1 Both our Mexican passports are very sad condition but never a problem.

#2 Just take the backroad around INM.

DENNIS - 11-2-2013 at 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidE

Finally starting the medical process that will re-unite me with my family. Next step: Surgery...

What size dress will you be wearing for your coming-out party? :lol::lol::lol:

Jes kiddin', David. Best of luck.

chippy - 11-2-2013 at 01:18 PM

I´ve never needed anything but my "credencial" while traveling in Mexico. Thats boats,planes, trains, busses and cars. You only need a Mexican passport if flying international. My ife card is 7 years old and not crisp by any means. Don´t worry be happy.

DavidE - 11-2-2013 at 01:18 PM

Dang, I hate to carry even my US Passport. I've never used the "airport road". But I do have to stop in Guerrero on the way back. At the BanaMex. Any idea of how to use the airport bypass? I can't even find gallon ziplocks here, in case I need to take the documents with me. I'm going to get a cheap attache case when I'm north.

I had all my documents stolen out of my trunk in the Wal-Mart in Nogales AZ in 2011. I could not go back home. I had to cross back to into Nogales Son, go through a huge rigamarole (including the demand for Nogales AZ police reports, pay four thousand pesos, then retreat like a whipped dog back the SF bay area and wait seven and a half weeks for the replacement documents to arrive at the Nogales Sonora sub delagado federal's office. There was a sudden 1,000 peso fee for his "prompt" services. I remain positively gun shy.

Thanks For All The Tips

DavidE - 11-2-2013 at 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

What size dress will you be wearing for your coming-out party? :lol::lol::lol:

Jes kiddin', David. Best of luck.

They're not going to cut yet, this is just the foreplay crap that is supposed to scare the hell out of me. I need a four hour soak in Ponce de Leon's spa.

Ain't nothin' worse than a Mexican bureaucrat that looks over your permits, gives a smirk, then says "Ni Modo". I liked it better when a high denomination banknote made a great calling card.

rts551 - 11-2-2013 at 01:30 PM

Quote:
Dang, I hate to carry even my US Passport. I've never used the "airport road". But I do have to stop in Guerrero on the way back. At the BanaMex. Any idea of how to use the airport bypass? I can't even find gallon ziplocks here, in case I need to take the documents with me. I'm going to get a cheap attache case when I'm north.

I had all my documents stolen out of my trunk in the Wal-Mart in Nogales AZ in 2011. I could not go back home. I had to cross back to into Nogales Son, go through a huge rigamarole (including the demand for Nogales AZ police reports, pay four thousand pesos, then retreat like a whipped dog back the SF bay area and wait seven and a half weeks for the replacement documents to arrive at the Nogales Sonora sub delagado federal's office. There was a sudden 1,000 peso fee for his "prompt" services. I remain positively gun shy.

While I do not support breaking the law, I will answer your question. Foe the last 10-12 times through there seems to be someone in the office but they never come out to check. Only the AG guys. Doesn't mean they will not the next time. It is their job to enforce immigration rules.

Timo1 - 11-2-2013 at 01:34 PM

I'm not telling the by-pass route

NOPE uh uh

DENNIS - 11-2-2013 at 01:41 PM

Quote:

I had all my documents stolen out of my trunk in the Wal-Mart in Nogales AZ in 2011. I could not go back home.

I make beautiful copies of everything. Even bought a laminating machine [around twenty five bucks at Amazon] for all the cards...even my Cal DL and military ID.
Next........Bank Notes. :lol::lol: [that's a joke]
Maybe I should just say byebye right now. :o

vandenberg - 11-2-2013 at 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
I make beautiful copies of everything. Even bought a laminating machine [around twenty five bucks at Amazon] for all the cards...even my Cal DL and military ID.
Next........Bank Notes. :lol::lol: [that's a joke]
Maybe I should just say byebye right now. :o

Laminated bank notes :no::no:
Now there's a new one for you. :P:lol::lol:

monoloco - 11-2-2013 at 02:59 PM

When did it become a requirement for Mexicans to carry a passport when traveling in their own country?

DENNIS - 11-2-2013 at 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
When did it become a requirement for Mexicans to carry a passport when traveling in their own country?

About two hours ago. :lol::lol:

acadist - 11-2-2013 at 04:21 PM

If you never met him, David does not look quite like a local :o

slidin' through....

EdZeranski - 11-2-2013 at 04:31 PM

Quote:
Am I going to run headlong into that knothead INM (immigration) at the the paralelo 28 ag inspection near Guerrero Negro when I come back?

Lately, past couple of years, I've been waved through when north bound. Going south they want the 10P for the spray but sometimes try to weasel 20P.

EdZ

Bajahowodd - 11-2-2013 at 04:52 PM

I haven't seen anyone on the Northbound side in many years. Southbound, is usually the Ag agent.

But, since DavidE has a Mexican passport, does he not have a Mexican Drivers License? It would seem to me that would suffice.

David K - 11-2-2013 at 04:55 PM

There is nothing illegal about using another road to go into Baja Sur, than Mex. 1! If they wanted to post inspectors at the other roads or blockade them, then they could. The Santa Gertrudis mission access road, El Arco 'highway', old main peninsula road, and G.N. Airport road are all open roadways between the two Baja states.

o3dave - 11-2-2013 at 07:04 PM

Im heading through there tomorrow and would like to avoid "the spray"

Can someone offer the airport road route.

TIA

PS if the instructions are crystal clear. I will mail you the 10p
:spingrin:

liknbaja127 - 11-2-2013 at 07:11 PM

been throught twice this year, north bound not asked, but south bound
we paid 20 pecos each time! Wow next time I will ask for the change:?::light:

woody with a view - 11-2-2013 at 07:11 PM

turn right at the airport. find a road towards town. they all go that way and wave to the eagle monument as you pass 1/4 mile away.

Terry28 - 11-3-2013 at 10:49 AM

As for the spray, I have always told them we had a dog in the car so please don't spray....they don't, but still had to pay the 10-20 peso fee....

monoloco - 11-3-2013 at 11:15 AM

That spray smells just like tap water to me.

DavidE - 11-3-2013 at 06:10 PM

Here is what happened TWICE.
INM man comes out. "Where is your tourist card?
Show him pasaporte. This is what the law says you show not the IFE card.
Confusion? So I whip out my Michoacan DL.
Both asked me to pull over to the side.
They take my pasaporte inside.
I wait forever. They last guy left me hanging and processed three cars, one of which the occupants did not have tourist cards. That ate 20 minutes by itself.
So I roar into Guerrero to the INM office
"Oh señor you do not need a tourist card if you are ciudadano.
No **** Sherlock
I end up driving in the dark after being delayed. I drive from Ensenada and I do not want to be hung up. When I am able to see at night again this will not be a problem.

By the way scoping it out today, they took ALL signs down for the airport turnoff. All of them.

And there is a serious as hell puesto de control permanente 30 miles north of Guerrero Negro now.

rts551 - 11-3-2013 at 07:03 PM

You sure seem to have more problems than most David. Eve wondeer why?

Quote:
Here is what happened TWICE.
INM man comes out. "Where is your tourist card?
Show him pasaporte. This is what the law says you show not the IFE card.
Confusion? So I whip out my Michoacan DL.
Both asked me to pull over to the side.
They take my pasaporte inside.
I wait forever. They last guy left me hanging and processed three cars, one of which the occupants did not have tourist cards. That ate 20 minutes by itself.
So I roar into Guerrero to the INM office
"Oh señor you do not need a tourist card if you are ciudadano.
No **** Sherlock
I end up driving in the dark after being delayed. I drive from Ensenada and I do not want to be hung up. When I am able to see at night again this will not be a problem.

By the way scoping it out today, they took ALL signs down for the airport turnoff. All of them.

And there is a serious as hell puesto de control permanente 30 miles north of Guerrero Negro now.

comitan - 11-3-2013 at 07:30 PM

ATTITUDE---ATTITUDE---ATTITUDE.:lol::lol:

DavidE - 11-3-2013 at 08:31 PM

No. I spend ALL my time in Mexico. 24/7/365 for years at a time. Tomorrow will be my first entry into the USA since early 2011. Then for 24 hours and then get the hell out. I don't sit 200 miles distant from the Mexican border and pontificate.

Udo - 11-4-2013 at 03:25 PM

If you look at the receipt the "sprayers" give you, it clearly states the receipt id=s for 10 pesos. They try to get 20 and pocket the other 10.

Quote:
Originally posted by liknbaja127
been throught twice this year, north bound not asked, but south bound
we paid 20 pecos each time! Wow next time I will ask for the change:?::light:

Bajahowodd - 11-4-2013 at 04:51 PM

First of all, the spray IS optional. Just decline it. I always tell them I have allergies, and I'm waived on through. Second of all, if you don't get the spray, there is no reason to pay anything, lest the place just becomes a toll booth for travelers between the states.

DavidE - 11-4-2013 at 07:37 PM

Apart from my indomitable sarcasm on this forum, I am not a grumpy person. I chatted with a soldado today when I pulled over at their puesto de control to stretch my legs. Good kid, from Tlaxcala. I told him my favorite Mexican military joke and they all broke out laughing even the sargento. They shook my hand and I went on my way. No I can't tell the joke here. The webmaster would banish me, but it starts out...a gringo, a jota and a catholic priest all show up at a puesto at the same time...

2:42 minutes at San Ysidro. All the actors were out there in the lanes. I asked a preventiva what happened to the disabled unfortunates scootering around on wheeled creepers "No dar permiso para ellos". He went on to explain how one guy got stuck under a vehicle and CBP had to run up the line screaming for the driver to stop. I told one of the guys with the biggest stand that he could sell pee cups (1 liter) for 12 pesos. "¿Bacios?" he was incredulous. "Por cierto" Empties, I replied. I explained their intended use and he positively cracked up. Called his wife over and she nodded. "With Lids!" I emphasized, "Dios Mio don't try to sell cups without tight sealing lids". The lady nodded with a faraway look in her eyes: Betcha nickel empty cups start getting promo'd. Find a need a fill it...

Had dinner ayer at Baja's Best. Before I knew it I was staring at a piano sized transformer out back that the owner planning to erect on a pole. "It (power) comes all the way down here from Rosarito. And I'm at the bitter end of the line".

Puts out a great burger and fries for 70 pesos. Charbroiled over mesquite, 1/3rd pound.

But that 30 peso cup of coffee I had at Espinosa's this morning ($2.35) with breakfast was a little rich for my blood. The place does put out a good 60 peso plate of chilaquiles. But the rest of the breakfast menu was kinda pricey. Baja's Best was dark when I passed it. At 2PM Baja Cactus reported: Hotel Completo. Full up.

I did not count but there had to be no less than 200 RV's that came past me between Maneadero and Vizcaino. One was a caravan with 15 or so rigs in it.

For David K, some gasolinera tipo de cambios were as low as 11 to 1, the highest was 12.35.

Pretty serious construction between Ensenada and El Rosario. Three or four lengthy detours. Dirt studded with fist-size rocks. A rather uncomfortable ride.

Gas price in Rosarito was 10 centavos liter higher than it was at Antonio's place. 11.71 liter for Magna and 12.15 for Premium down south.

DavidE - 11-4-2013 at 11:07 PM

No, he is gringo. Nice person. He teased me about his "UMSDA Prime" mesquite charbroiled steaks. If I don't limp out of here flat busted tomorrow and if the suddenly vibrating CV joint in the transaxle doesn't blow up, I may take him up on it.