BajaNomad

Tropical Storm Sonia

Bill Collector - 11-3-2013 at 07:06 AM

Everyone be safe..post conditions when you have time.

Katiejay99 - 11-3-2013 at 07:29 AM

Nothing happening in Todos Santos. Overcast, light breeze, no rain. Humid, tho.

Russ - 11-3-2013 at 07:29 AM

Kinda late but you never know what the wind gods will send your way.

avn-animated.jpg - 47kB

bajajudy - 11-3-2013 at 07:35 AM

Very overcast
No wind
Headed to the beach, more later

CaboDreamer - 11-3-2013 at 07:43 AM

I'm two miles 'as the crow flys' across the arroyo in central San Jose from you Judy and a steady downpour has begun. I hope you took your umbrella along to the beach. This storm has the potential to bring a lot of rain to the the Cape region.

cabobaja - 11-3-2013 at 08:07 AM

Starting to rain in Todos Santos.

bajajudy - 11-3-2013 at 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CaboDreamer
I'm two miles 'as the crow flys' across the arroyo in central San Jose from you Judy and a steady downpour has begun. I hope you took your umbrella along to the beach. This storm has the potential to bring a lot of rain to the the Cape region.

Never made it to the beach. Scurrying around covering our outside living area with tarps.
Dark as doodoo, especially to the south/southwest
No wind

El Jefe - 11-3-2013 at 08:36 AM

Just got rain in Cherry Blossom Lane! Had our first shower in the last 30 minutes out on the near east cape. Solid rain, not just a sprinkle. All accompanied by rolling thunder in the distance. Now it is off again. Wind is a nice breeze. The sea is relatively calm. No surf to speak of.

All is good with the world. Smells nice out there.

east cape rain

captkw - 11-3-2013 at 08:45 AM

Hopefully it will pour off and on..the waterfalls are bleak.... BCS needs every drop !!

CaboDreamer - 11-3-2013 at 09:14 AM

Yes Capt, we could sure use some welcome rain. This is a photo of the arroyo crossing at El Chorro back in the day:spingrin: before global warming...

Thanks

captkw - 11-3-2013 at 09:20 AM

I was the first honkey to hang out there... Its really dry now very little water.....

CaboDreamer - 11-3-2013 at 09:23 AM

I was the first honkey to hang out there... Its really dry now very little water.....

Before Abe?

Thanks for the weather play by play

Whale-ista - 11-3-2013 at 09:32 AM

Interesting to read your different perspectives. Thank you for keeping us informed.

Be safe down south. I've been in La Paz and Cabo for some strong chubascos, but never a formally declared tropical storm. Loved the lightning displays over the gulf.

I remember some cruising friends caught in the 1982 storm that drove many boats onto the beach in Cabo. That was an epic Blow! A lot of sailors lost boats that season.

Currently I'm in San Diego, wishing for rain! I realize this storm won't make it this far north, but we are so dry a little water would be welcome...

Bill Collector - 11-3-2013 at 09:43 AM

It just started to rain in Los Barriles 9:40....winds picking up slightly, seas are getting rougher..

DENNIS - 11-3-2013 at 10:03 AM

Sonia is lookin' serious:

http://www.cyclocane.com/sonia-storm-tracker/

BigOly - 11-3-2013 at 10:03 AM

BajaParrothead - 11-3-2013 at 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BigOly

:lol::lol::lol:

cabodreamer

captkw - 11-3-2013 at 11:55 AM

Hola,,I see that your now offline...but I'll reply...Long before Abe and all the BS.. I found the waterfalls in 79/80 winter season..and the only guys that went out to the Presa were ol man "niclos" from el charro and "Oscar" from agua calienta (rip friend)..then you could camp in the middle of the road for a good week and not see a car!! very different today !!...Abe was not a friend of us locals and brought out a very negative gringo additude to the area...That said he did do a good thing in LA PAZ with the snake gig !!! back to the waterfalls and area,,, it really needs some long,,slow rain up top where there was bears and a lake with pine trees less than 40 miles from cabo....bet you did not know THAT !!!

tiotomasbcs - 11-3-2013 at 04:41 PM

Captain, amigo. Are you down here now enjoying our rainy season? There has been some good rain and would think the East Cape is very green like over here? I'm only looking for an update from over the mountains from El Pescadero. Very dark here and some breezes but little rain. Cooler than it's been, tho. Go Sonia!:smug: Tio

God,,I wished !!

captkw - 11-3-2013 at 04:50 PM

Im in Monterey bay ca fixing boats,cars,trucks and even a crawer that would Do that widow maker DK talks about...And I would love A repot about the serria la lagunas..people don't belive it when tell about the snow,,pine trees so close to cabo..hope tohell its a lot greener.2 winters ago was the driest I have ever seen..heard that this summer at least 1 of the falls was dryed up...

[Edited on 11-3-2013 by captkw]

CaboDreamer - 11-3-2013 at 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
Hola,,I see that your now offline...but I'll reply...Long before Abe and all the BS.. I found the waterfalls in 79/80 winter season..and the only guys that went out to the Presa were ol man "niclos" from el charro and "Oscar" from agua calienta (rip friend)..then you could camp in the middle of the road for a good week and not see a car!! very different today !!...Abe was not a friend of us locals and brought out a very negative gringo additude to the area...That said he did do a good thing in LA PAZ with the snake gig !!! back to the waterfalls and area,,, it really needs some long,,slow rain up top where there was bears and a lake with pine trees less than 40 miles from cabo....bet you did not know THAT !!!

Thanks for sharing Capt! I too hiked up to the falls on my first back-road adventure here in the Cape region 17 years ago. Without side tracking the theme of this post too much, I know Nicolas Castro (well over 100 years young) and his family. Nicolas was born in a ranch above the waterfalls. As well as having the pleasure to have shared laughter with Oscar of Agua Caliente. Possible the kindest, happiest spirit I have ever met on this plane. Did know about the lake...do tell me more about the bears.

Back to Sonia, here in San Jose del Cabo off and on l (mostly off) light rain throughout the day and currently a bit of breeze and sunlight peeking through the clouds. Looks like the center of the storm will pass to the south. We'll see what tonight brings.

bajajudy - 11-3-2013 at 06:01 PM

Seems to have passed
Winds out of the north
Gorgeous sunset.

OSCAR and waterfalls

captkw - 11-3-2013 at 06:57 PM

Hola,,yes Oscar is sorely missed by many..I was told the funeral was by far the biggest that Santiago ever seen ! the happest,nicest spirit I have met on this spinnig rock!! I go and see his wife and his son helped me bury my dog near the presa about three yrs ago..I'm very well known in that area as its been a large part of my life..about the bears..many of the old guys have told their was bears years ago but not for a while and every one has given me defferent dates as to when they disapperd.which is understandable...bears don't walk around waving flags...there is big cats,,deer,wild pig and a lot of doves.. hence the hotol la poloma where bing Crosby would fly in and hunt... and since the rain stopped and no chabasco I thought I would reply ...K&T:cool:

[Edited on 11-4-2013 by captkw]

[Edited on 11-4-2013 by captkw]

bajajudy - 11-4-2013 at 07:00 AM

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr
60 when I woke up

BFS - 11-4-2013 at 11:27 AM

I guess that's it, summer is over.
Bummer

I refuse to accept reality !

captkw - 11-5-2013 at 08:10 PM

Perpetual summer has worked for me...Aka...B.C.S. for the winter's...Not The Summer's....IMO..K&T:cool:

mulegemichael - 11-5-2013 at 08:25 PM

first time i ever ever drove up to canon la zorra,( canyon of the fox), i came around a corner just before the parking area for the hike up to the falls and a trapper was standing there at the edge of the road with a bunch of traps and a half dozen dead fox in them....i was flabbergasted!!...just blew me away!...have many, many stories of adventures up that canyon before they started charging for entry...

El Zorra

captkw - 11-6-2013 at 09:53 AM

That has been called sol de mayo all my life till recently...I think its a marketing ploy...I been told that they fixed up the parking lot and now charge for access..I know it dried up a few months back...."They paved paradise And put up a parking Lot "