BajaNomad

Be Careful Pre-running the 1000

TMW - 11-3-2013 at 11:37 AM

Posted on RDC. Course markers changed at RM80. Could happen other places too with similar results or worse.

http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php/115297-Cauti...

WTF???

bajaguy - 11-3-2013 at 11:41 AM

Someone "monkey wrenching" the course???

DENNIS - 11-3-2013 at 12:06 PM

I remember fifteen years back, watching the spectators changing or just removing markers below Maneadero. They thought it was a game.

woody with a view - 11-3-2013 at 05:33 PM

a-holes!

rts551 - 11-3-2013 at 07:04 PM

lots of pre runners today on the hwy in BC.

What,, in British Columbia ???

captkw - 11-3-2013 at 07:08 PM

Ateo - 11-3-2013 at 07:15 PM

That photo pre head on collision was gnarly. One of our guys got back today and said the section he pre-ran had numerous mistakes on the mile markers.

DENNIS - 11-3-2013 at 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
a-holes!

Ohhh, for sure. I'm kinda surprised, now that lots of Mexican teams are participating, that the nonsense continues.

rts551 - 11-3-2013 at 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw

BC also equates to Baja Caifornia. The better BC

dtbushpilot - 11-3-2013 at 09:41 PM

This is one of the reasons that we no longer race the Baja 500, SF 250 or Baja 1000. Every year I see things that I think couldn't get more ridiculous only to find someone more stupid the next year. I have seen enough to write a book, The most stupid, careless ignorant people I've ever experienced in my life were in MX at an off road event. The most careless, ignorant clueless parents and their children I've ever seen were in MX at an off road event.....just sayin....

Floatflyer - 11-4-2013 at 06:16 AM

Re: Caution pre running around mile 80 b1k !!!!

I'm guessing peeed off ranchers are the ones who do that. The thing is that SCORE makes the deal with "ejidatarios", who are the 'owners' of huge portions of land, but inside each "ejido" there are ranchers, who might not agree with having the race pass through their ranch. I think that's how it works right? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I have come to understand.

The above quote is from the first post on this thread. I don't condone "monkey wrenching" the race course BUT I sure sympathize for those that have a race imact their safety and lives. Several time per year there is "off road" racing on the East Cape around Los Barriles and La Ribera. We live on the dirt coast road from La Ribera towards Cabo Pulmo and have no other option to drive except this road. It has become very common for prerunners to haul ass on this road with zero regard for non race traffic. This is a frightening experience if you are on a quad or just driving slowly somewhere and encounter these selfish idiots. As usual, 2 sides to a story.

[Edited on 11-4-2013 by Floatflyer]

shari - 11-4-2013 at 07:13 AM

A word of caution for those traveling on the highways of Baja these days...please be EXTRA cautious as it is the most dangerous time for driving here with all the race support vehicles, pre runners etc... driving very very fast and passing when & where they shouldn't be passing.

larryC - 11-4-2013 at 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Floatflyer

The above quote is from the first post on this thread. I don't condone "monkey wrenching" the race course BUT I sure sympathize for those that have a race imact their safety and lives. Several time per year there is "off road" racing on the East Cape around Los Barriles and La Ribera. We live on the dirt coast road from La Ribera towards Cabo Pulmo and have no other option to drive except this road. It has become very common for prerunners to haul burro on this road with zero regard for non race traffic. This is a frightening experience if you are on a quad or just driving slowly somewhere and encounter these selfish idiots. As usual, 2 sides to a story.

I agree with Floatflyer, my wife and I have been run off the road several times by prerunners or just wannabees (can't tell which they are but the end result is the same) on our way to town to get water or groceries. Some of those guys, not all, think every dirt road is their private race course. Race day is fine they can do what ever they want but the darn prerunners are unannounced and make it dangerous for every one. End of my rant.
Larry

David K - 11-4-2013 at 11:09 AM

TMW - 11-4-2013 at 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Floatflyer

I'm guessing peeed off ranchers are the ones who do that. The thing is that SCORE makes the deal with "ejidatarios", who are the 'owners' of huge portions of land, but inside each "ejido" there are ranchers, who might not agree with having the race pass through their ranch. I think that's how it works right? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I have come to understand.

The above quote is from the first post on this thread. I don't condone "monkey wrenching" the race course BUT I sure sympathize for those that have a race imact their safety and lives. Several time per year there is "off road" racing on the East Cape around Los Barriles and La Ribera. We live on the dirt coast road from La Ribera towards Cabo Pulmo and have no other option to drive except this road. It has become very common for prerunners to haul burro on this road with zero regard for non race traffic. This is a frightening experience if you are on a quad or just driving slowly somewhere and encounter these selfish idiots. As usual, 2 sides to a story.

SCORE works with the Ejido leaders and with the ranchers. If a rancher does not want the race on his property then SCORE works around it. Also SCORE pays them for the use of the property. I don't think the ranchers are moving the markers. Maybe a family member and his buddies thinking it would be fun to see the pre-runners go off to a deadend or similar. I don't think they realize how dangerous it can be.

A lot of pre-runners and chase people get stupid especially on race day just as dtbushpilot said. The people watching the race get stupid especially after the alcohol starting flowing.

DENNIS - 11-4-2013 at 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
I don't think the ranchers are moving the markers. Maybe a family member and his buddies thinking it would be fun to see the pre-runners go off to a deadend or similar. I don't think they realize how dangerous it can be.

The a-holes I watched doing it were neighborhood vandals. Their only motivation is to cause problems while they aren't in town tagging everybody's property.

When I watched them tearing down markers, the race was on.

[Edited on 11-4-2013 by DENNIS]

bryanmckenzie - 11-8-2013 at 06:21 PM

Thanks Shari. And others who have warned about driving Highway 1 during this time. :wow: :wow:

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
A word of caution for those traveling on the highways of Baja these days...please be EXTRA cautious as it is the most dangerous time for driving here with all the race support vehicles, pre runners etc... driving very very fast and passing when & where they shouldn't be passing.

David K - 11-8-2013 at 06:26 PM

It is already a dangerous highway... and during a race, a lot more so.

Neal Johns - 11-11-2013 at 12:03 PM

Some good news about Pre-Runners:
Many decades ago when I was not familiar with pre-run dates, I was leading a group down the east side of Laguna Salada and we stopped in a brushy area for a 10-100 break and a pre-runner had to take to the brush to miss our tail end guy. No harm done, BUT, he came back and apologized to us! Kudo's to most pre-runners/racers.
Neal