BajaNomad

Baja quad, 2WD or 4WD what do you think?

vgabndo - 11-4-2013 at 09:05 PM

I know it depends on a lot of conditions. I want to do a lot of exploring so 4x4 seems mandatory, but I recently had a LOT of fun in the Oregon Dunes on a Honda 400 EX. I'm worried I'll get bored with a "tractor". What do you folks think?

dtbushpilot - 11-4-2013 at 09:12 PM

You need both....

BajaDixon - 11-4-2013 at 09:23 PM

Modern 4x4 quads are not tractors. I have a Polaris 850xp that goes 75mph and has an amazing ride. Even has power steering. I can run some pretty rough ground at 50mph and remain stable.

There is also a new version of quads that are 4wd but basically designed as a sport machine. Both Can Am and Polaris make one. They're like rocketships on wheels.

One big advantage of a traditional 4wd quad is the ability to load front and rear racks with extra gas, tools, a spare tire, and equipment.

The truth is though that you will rarely need to use the 4wd option, but if you need it it's great to have.

J.P. - 11-4-2013 at 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
I know it depends on a lot of conditions. I want to do a lot of exploring so 4x4 seems mandatory, but I recently had a LOT of fun in the Oregon Dunes on a Honda 400 EX. I'm worried I'll get bored with a "tractor". What do you folks think?

I have a 4x4 Quad, admittedly it's more like a tractor but its fun to blast the dunes with two people on it when some of the 2 wheel drives are struggling with only one person on board. and when exploring in the rough there is nothing that compares with a 4x4 quad with independent 4 wheel suspension

motoged - 11-4-2013 at 11:17 PM

4X4.....don't always need it....but it's good to have. :light:

Russ - 11-4-2013 at 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
4X4.....don't always need it....but it's good to have. :light:

You'll want something with rear independent suspension too. I really like my Polaris Ranger (glorified golf cart). I don't play on the dunes much and drive with a lot more caution than not so many years ago. Yesterday 3 of us went just over 100 miles. Wished we'd brought camping gear because there was much more to explore and getting home before dark really cut into what we wanted to do. We met a lot of Ranchers and on Sunday more cars & trucks than expected. Everything was so green and some trails were like tunnels of green. The pitiyia hunters were everywhere.

vgabndo - 11-5-2013 at 12:10 PM

Thanks folks, I really need to remember that I am 70 and a "tractor" is plenty to keep my remaining adrenal gland pumping!

If money were no object, it would be easy huh? :lol: