BajaNomad

Head North for Cheap Gas

RnR - 11-5-2013 at 06:38 AM

Well, it looks like it is about to happen. Soon, you'll be crossing the border NORTHBOUND to fill your tank with cheaper gas.

Magna price is about $3.53/US gal.

California prices have dropped below this price in many places, even near the border .....

TecateRay - 11-5-2013 at 07:26 AM

Diesel here in San Diego is still almost 50 cents a gallon more if the exchange rate is around 12.7, but the gap is shrinking rapidly.

I wonder if Mexico's monthly price increases will slow down or even reverse if prices here in the US continue to hold around $3.50/gallon for regular.

DavidE - 11-5-2013 at 08:00 AM

I filled up in Rosarito yesterday. My car does not like corn likker and Chevron, Shell and Union 76, the ones without alcohol, cost ten to twenty cents more per gallon. I'll drive in the EUA on Pemex gasoline, then return and fill up in Ensenada. When they start adding gasoline to V.O. then I'll think about using Archer Daniel Midland adulterated gasoline.

O.G. - 11-5-2013 at 08:07 AM

Is Mexico gas Ethanol free?

BajaNomad - 11-5-2013 at 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by O.G.

On my winter trips over the past two or three years, I've used premium and have realized they were using MTBE. I don't know if it's been seasonal, or all year long - or if they're even still doing it.

I don't know about the Magna.

Hook - 11-5-2013 at 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RnR
Well, it looks like it is about to happen. Soon, you'll be crossing the border NORTHBOUND to fill your tank with cheaper gas.

Magna price is about $3.53/US gal.

California prices have dropped below this price in many places, even near the border .....

That's CA diesel pricing for you.

I found diesel as low as 3.63-3.70 in AZ in early October. It's probably come down from that, since then.

Here in Sonora, diesel is selling for 12.20/liter. At 12.5 pesos/dollar, that works out to about 3.70.

DaliDali - 11-5-2013 at 08:50 AM

Using an ear of corn to "extend" a gallon of gasoline is shameful. It's a FOOD product for crying out loud.
The non edible parts of corn ok.....but don't use the actual corn kernels themselves.
AgroBusiness loves it.....corn for gas and corn for tortillas.....
Sugar cane, to brew an alcohol concoction is the same thing.

Using an ear of corn for gasoline, drives up the price of corn, due to increased demand. And corn/sugar are very basic food product worldwide, and especially here in Mexico where tortillas are a 3 times a day staple food product.

Hook - 11-5-2013 at 09:23 AM

Well, it's shameful because it's such a bad fuel.

But corn futures are currently at a three year low in prices. So, the initial crunch on foodstuffs (which was very real) has largely abated.

I believe corn actually topped 8.00/bushel at one point but is now down around 4.25/bushel and likely headed lower. Farmers followed the demand and increased the supply dramatically in the US and other countries.

Alcohol is still a bad fuel, though.

RnR - 11-5-2013 at 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
Quote:

On my winter trips over the past two or three years, I've used premium and have realized they were using MTBE. I don't know if it's been seasonal, or all year long - or if they're even still doing it.

The premium has a high content of MTBE (year-round).

Catch a big whiff of it while filling and it will burn your eyes and sinuses.

DaliDali - 11-5-2013 at 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Well, it's shameful because it's such a bad fuel.

But corn futures are currently at a three year low in prices. So, the initial crunch on foodstuffs (which was very real) has largely abated.

I believe corn actually topped 8.00/bushel at one point but is now down around 4.25/bushel and likely headed lower. Farmers followed the demand and increased the supply dramatically in the US and other countries.

Alcohol is still a bad fuel, though.

Yep.....melted the inner liner on Sierra outboard motor fuel hoses and clogged up the line so bad, the Yamaha would idle, but die on acceleration.
I took the hose off and there it was.....a partially melted inner liner blocking the fuel flow.

If a fuel hose says "impermeable", it has a liner which is subject to the melt down syndrome.

On edit and second thoughts.....the additive from Yamaha called "Ring Free" could be the culprit to the hose liner melt down.
I put an ounce in on every fill up, to help keep the rings carbon free.

I suppose a new fuel hose is a better bargain than a ring job.

[Edited on 11-5-2013 by DaliDali]

David K - 11-5-2013 at 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
Quote:

Is that a yes to O.G.'s question? MTBE is an octane booster that replaced lead in gasoline, back in the 70's, right? It is made from petroleum processing, right?

As far as I can tell Pemex, even the Pemex that is made in the USA contains no ethanol (corn product), so Pemex is better on our motors, burns less per mile, and as long as fuel tanks don't leak, MTBE is good for your car and mileage, right? In fact, MTBE (if it does leak into ground water) is not harmful, but just has an unpleasant smell.... if I read Wiki correctly...?

I believe Jon (Ateo) is our Nomad fuel tank guy... and Doug (BajaNomad) is a gasolene expert having worked for TRICK Racing Fuel...

DavidE - 11-5-2013 at 12:58 PM

Yeah I smell MTBE when fueling with Premium. It was banned in the EUA primarily because of tank leakage and earth contamination. But as far as emissions go, it is supposed to be a far better choice than 10-15% alcohol, and as far as economy and engine driveability is concerned MTBE laced gasoline is "supposed to be" better than straight gasoline.

That little crapbox of mine knows the difference between Baja Sur Magna and Baja Magna. Gad what a persnickety engine (Mitsubishi 3.0 V6). When I got to Antonio's I switched from red to green pump fuel.

BTW coming north through Cataviņa on Sunday there must have been 200 gallons worth of "gasolina" alongside the road stored in 20 and 40 liter jugs. Many "angeles". There were no gasolinistas at the entronque to Bahia de Los Angeles.

When coming north, you will encounter a sign indicating a HARD RIGHT off the border fence road. Then a sign saying SAN DIEGO -- "AVE (something or other)". CAUTION, when you see that sign, get into the LEFTMOST turn lane. Turn left and remain in the 2nd lane from the left. Ahead you will see an overhead sign with arrow for San Diego. Any other lane choice and you will be skarewwed. Yup, ask an expert :(

Ateo - 11-5-2013 at 01:28 PM

Here's a link to the material safety data sheet for premium Pemex

http://www.pemex.com/productos/gasolinas_refinados/Documents...

Don't know if it has MTBE or not.

Ateo - 11-5-2013 at 01:31 PM

And that msds is from 2008.

tripledigitken - 11-5-2013 at 01:37 PM

Ateo,

Can u provide a link to brands in CA that sell non e-10 fuel?

I did find out that in CA, stations do not have to identify that ethonol is an additive.

Ken

Bad News !!

captkw - 11-5-2013 at 02:12 PM

I Think it was july this year that I spent some time on the subject and in CA. there was not one place (Gas station) that sold non "E"....But they sell none "E" for small planes at airports...Don't want them falling out of the sky !! some states besides CA do sell none "E"...Seems that in CA you have to buy racing fuels like SONICO and the like..At ACE hardware in CA you can buy a pint of (32 FL. OZ.) two stroke fuel for 7/8 dlls that dosnt have the big "E" in it..brand nome "TRUFUEL" Wayy to much money to run a car !!!....K&T:cool:

[Edited on 11-5-2013 by captkw]

tripledigitken - 11-5-2013 at 02:24 PM

After spending time this morning online I agree.

Those here that feel Shell/76/Chev do sell gas sans alcohol please post a link.

Thanks

Ken

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
I Think it was july this year that I spent some time on the subject and in CA. there was not one place (Gas station) that sold non "E"....But they sell none "E" for small planes at airports...Don't want them falling out of the sky !! some states besides CA do sell none "E"...Seems that in CA you have to buy racing fuels like SONICO and the like..At ACE hardware in CA you can buy a pint of (32 FL. OZ.) two stroke fuel for 7/8 dlls that dosnt have the big "E" in it..brand nome "TRUFUEL" Wayy to much money to run a car !!!....K&T:cool:

Ateo - 11-5-2013 at 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Ateo,

Can u provide a link to brands in CA that sell non e-10 fuel?

I did find out that in CA, stations do not have to identify that ethonol is an additive.

Ken

Sorry. None of the majors use non ethanol blends in California. Independents? I doubt it. They all buy from the majors anyway so unless there's some refinery specifically making a non ethanol blend......out of luck.

David K - 11-5-2013 at 03:46 PM

Jon, is it possible that Costco and ARCO have the max, ethanol (10%?) and Chevron/ Shell have less than 10%. How else is it that my mileage is better on Chevron or Shell than on Costco or ARCO?

The Big "E"

captkw - 11-5-2013 at 03:52 PM

as I understand parts of S.CAL us E15 and I heard you can get up top E85.......hell,,might try running moonshine !!

Ateo - 11-5-2013 at 03:57 PM

As far as I know, the ethanol thing is a mandate. They want to limit the amount of gasoline to yield less emissions.

C.A.R.B

captkw - 11-5-2013 at 04:42 PM

and lots of lobbying from the Midwest corn growers ass....I not sure ,,but I think they are also subsudised..by the tax payers....But,, not my field...any one know???:cool:...PS,, HUH,,I did not write burro...LOL

woody with a view - 11-5-2013 at 07:33 PM

$2.97 at the AMPM in Yuma on 16th street.