BajaNomad

Stalling on bumps

captkw - 11-5-2013 at 09:33 AM

A tech that knows his job would ck the "freeze frame" with a good OBD scan tool..also the fuel pump wireing is a good place to do a wiggle test...I would run obd scan tool live while driving and with a DVM hooked to the fuel pump ..its fuel or spark once ya figure which one it is you can then proceed.....:cool: OR just don't hit bumps...BTW, It will more than likely get worse !!:spingrin:

fuel or spark

captkw - 11-5-2013 at 10:12 AM

You could also hook up a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail and shim out .under the hood and run under the wiper and go hit some bumps..just another way..if the fuel pump was replaced by a Ya Hoo??????...PS is your scan tool OBD 2....?

[Edited on 11-5-2013 by captkw]

DTC

captkw - 11-5-2013 at 11:02 AM

If your not getting any DTC which should I would think that would kick out on the ignition side ( a code) if not,,would indicate fuel and if the tank is a chassis ground that could pose a issue also..In this biz,, it a good thing to ck-out what was last repaired...electrical connections take time and paitance and should be waterproofed in under the car...DUH!!!:cool:

Solution

bajaguy - 11-5-2013 at 11:16 AM

Hey, 'Patch.........lift up the radiator cap and drive a Toyota Tacoma under it......problem solved!!!

Had the same problem happen several years ago.......checked and replaced everything electrical and fuel related. Turned out it was a bad coil

bajaguy - 11-5-2013 at 11:23 AM

The coil was intermittent, was the last thing we replaced.

Toyota is waiting at DK Toyota of Oceanside!!!:lol:

NoW Thats funny

captkw - 11-5-2013 at 11:24 AM

That's rare for a coil..newer ones are mostly potted and are rather shock proof...Sure it wasn't the coil connectins on the coil that where funky ???:?:

bajaguy - 11-5-2013 at 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
That's rare for a coil..newer ones are mostly potted and are rather shock proof...Sure it wasn't the coil connectins on the coil that where funky ???:?:

This was SEVERAL years ago on a 1968 Porsche 912 Targa.

My mechanic was a German who in his 20's was an aircraft mechanic for the Luftwaffe in WWII....really knew his stuff.....

Coil

captkw - 11-5-2013 at 11:50 AM

LOL that explains it..that would have been a round oil filled coil and they could do that ...I had a early 70's 911 and on the runner board area painted nicely " POLISH TARGA" !! That almost caused a few wrecks:lol:

wessongroup - 11-5-2013 at 11:52 AM

Good stuff ... thanks :):)

cabonotcho - 11-5-2013 at 03:29 PM

Well at least there are no bumps or topes to be found in baja.

I saw one !! But,It wasn't Real!!

captkw - 11-5-2013 at 03:37 PM

:P

chuckie - 11-5-2013 at 04:27 PM

I stall on bumps sometimes, when I forget to tie my shoes.....

Maderita - 11-8-2013 at 12:49 AM

Sounds like a ground problem to me. Probably in the computer/ignition if the engine dies instantly, without a sputter. If it sputters and dies over a few seconds, the problem may be the fuel pump ground.
Check the engine to chassis main ground and then this:
http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f22dc7e

Barry A. - 11-8-2013 at 11:56 AM

BUMP---------for SoulPatch.