BajaNomad

San Javier-Comondu-San Isidro-Paso Hondo-Ranchito/Mulege road conditions

Mula - 11-6-2013 at 08:07 AM

We just got back from a 2 day - pre Cabalgata - road trip to check the conditions.

We went in reverse of what we will be doing by mule Nov 27 departing Ranchito outside of Mulege.

Did not take any photos, but will the end of the month.

The greens and the flowers in all the vegetation are brilliant!

1st leg: Loreto to KM 28 on the San Javier road. The rock slide areas are spectacular. And impressive.

KM 28 turn off to Comondu to Monte Alban is fine. From Monte Alban it's 4 wheel and a lot of time in low. Pretty rough. Took over 3 hours to Comondu.

2nd leg: Comondu to San Isidro is very overgrown and the road is barely used with a lot of wash outs. Lots of areas for 4 low.

3rd leg: San Isidro to Paso Hondo is a breeze.

4th leg: Paso Hondo to Ranchito - over the mountains.
Locals in Paso Hondo told us it was 3 1/2 hours to Mulege and the road was fine. Yeah, right. 6 hours later we made it to Ranchito.

This would be a good one for the World's best truck drivers show.

No problems in a 1986 F 250 Diesel.

And really happy that next time I am doing this route - will be by mule!

November 27 to Dec. 2 arrival in San Javier.

bajacalifornian - 11-6-2013 at 08:30 AM

Cool Cher!

David K - 11-6-2013 at 09:21 AM

Great!!:bounce:

TMW - 11-6-2013 at 10:15 AM

Excellent, thanks. I've been wanting to do the San Isidro to San Javier section thru the Comondu's and I may do it after the 1000 on my way to Loreto.

Sweetwater - 11-6-2013 at 10:22 AM

Thanks! Two of us rode XR Honda's west to east through the Comondu area and out to San Javier a couple of years ago. It was the roughest stretch of the trip. We did not attempt the road to San Isidro because it was washed out back then and that was at least 2 typhoons ago. It sounds like that road will never be a 2 wheel drive ride and really rough even for motos and 4x4's.