BajaNomad

Gazing at the sea

El Jefe - 11-10-2013 at 10:12 AM

My nephew Kyle made the drive down with me last month and stayed at the house for a few days. A great re-bonding time we had.

As we were sitting on the deck gazing out at the sea he told me that he once heard that there was a word for our state of being at that moment in time that was spoken in a different (possibly Pacific Islander) language.

You all know the feeling. That state of bliss when you are just sitting there staring at the beautiful ocean, Zen like. I do it a lot. Really a lot!

But the word specifically implies looking at the sea and the feeling it gives, not just being peaceful or serene or happy or thankful or filled up or whatever in a general sense.

So anybody have the word? I'm going out on the deck to ponder it.

[Edited on 11-10-2013 by El Jefe]

DocRey - 11-10-2013 at 10:15 AM

Very cool. Thanks.

BajaBlanca - 11-10-2013 at 11:17 AM

don't know the word but SURELY know the feeling. I will head out to the front porch to ponder it a little more.

vgabndo - 11-10-2013 at 11:22 AM

That is an intriguing idea. I have always heard that most languages of the world have a single word for "sitting and dreaming into the campfire", and in English, what I just wrote is about the best we can do.

Perhaps this upper primate has some prehistoric element that is universally soothed by the uncontrollable waves or tongues of flame.

David K - 11-10-2013 at 11:24 AM

One Hawaiian word for Resting Place: pu'uho'omaha

Osprey - 11-10-2013 at 11:56 AM

I don't think you can see the ocean from Omaha

Chupacabra - 11-10-2013 at 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by El Jefe
You all know the feeling. That state of bliss when you are just sitting there staring at the beautiful ocean, Zen like.

I get the same feeling when I gaze at my navel.

sancho - 11-10-2013 at 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
I don't think you can see the ocean from Omaha

Wasn't there a Omaha Beach Normandy WWII?
For me it's a Cortez Sunrise, once heard of the
Ocean called the Foutain of Youth. Used to camp
at Bahia Muertos, the 10 inch waves lapping thru
the nite, waking up you felt like you were in a
drugged state, deep sleep

[Edited on 11-10-2013 by sancho]

vgabndo - 11-10-2013 at 01:16 PM

I love the way this site sparks my curiosity. It turns out that "navel-gazing" has a whole life of its own. :lol:

"excessively introspective", "heavy concentration on a single issue"

I wonder if the repetitive motion of the sea and the flame might not be nature's mantra which assists our monkey brains to quiet a bit and contemplate?

El Jefe - 11-10-2013 at 03:14 PM

Yes, gazing at the sea and at the campfire are indeed similar yet different in the effect on our psyches. The fire draws us inward to the cozy, safe comfort of the immediate area of flickering light it creates. All the dark dangers of the world seem to melt away as we are enveloped in the small cocoon of the fire's glow. And we are mesmerized, just as we are, in my opinion, when we are watching TV. It is as if we are pre-programmed (a worthy pun) to sit dully in front of the flickering screen.

Gazing on the sea results in a similar meditative state, yet our senses are drawn outward to the vastness of the ocean, to the long line of the horizon, to the deepness of the sky, to infinity and beyond! Take in a deep breath of the sea breeze. Draw it in. Ah, Wonderful! You are alive.

Ateo - 11-10-2013 at 03:20 PM

The word is perspective. Not poetic, but it's what happens to me.

BeemerDan - 11-11-2013 at 11:24 AM

[img][/img]

El Jefe - 11-11-2013 at 12:06 PM

BeemerDan, that photo, Perfect!

DavidE - 11-11-2013 at 04:06 PM

HahahaIgotityouwantitbuta taasallmine!

grace59 - 11-11-2013 at 05:36 PM

I know this feeling so well and decided to research and try to find "that word". I wasn't successful, but did find some interesting untranslatable words in this article. So, just for fun, here it is:
http://matadornetwork.com/abroad/20-awesomely-untranslatable...

Bwana_John - 11-11-2013 at 06:25 PM

"for when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you”

micah202 - 11-11-2013 at 10:49 PM

....how 'bout 'sea-renity':spingrin:

Skipjack Joe - 11-12-2013 at 12:27 AM

I don't think there is one word for the sea, but many. Just as there are many seas.

David K - 11-12-2013 at 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by micah202

....how 'bout 'sea-renity':spingrin:

That is a good one!

vgabndo - 11-12-2013 at 07:12 PM

Dan, I love your burro "contemplating his navel"!

I think the work for being drawn into staring at a campfire might be called: mezmerflagration.

Timo1 - 11-12-2013 at 07:53 PM

One time when I was on valium I stared at a spot on my blue jeans for 2 1/2 hours

I knew "the word" but forgot it

:lol:

Marc - 11-12-2013 at 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chupacabra
Quote:
Originally posted by El Jefe
You all know the feeling. That state of bliss when you are just sitting there staring at the beautiful ocean, Zen like.

I get the same feeling when I gaze at my navel.

I can't see my navel any longer.