BajaNomad

Week of Nov. 4/14 Road Report

windgrrl - 11-12-2013 at 07:04 AM

Crossed at Tecate on Friday at 0910 with pre-paid visas. Quick inspection of vehicles and RVs going south, bit of a delay due to RV inspections and a request for registration our motorcycles which are really mountain bikes. Our truck was packed with sports gear and some supplies for down south. We were asked to open the rear and then if we had a house in Baja. No inspection...maybe because it would be harder than solving a Rubic's cube to get it all back in. There is a new button to push at the pedestrian crossing into town. My back pack was lightly searched.

Construction:
Hwy 3, North of Sordo Mundo
Vado needs work south of Rancho Santa Ynez
Bridge detour south of El Coyote
Washouts just after Playa Ventura
Around Puerto Escondido
Long stretch south of Constitution
Lots of road repair around La Paz outskirts and paving at major intersections

Watch for:
Racers. Men working with machinery and hand tools in many places along Mex 1
Bicyclists and the pump total at Mulege. Very nice attendant at Mulege, but his co-worker was a bit of a coyote. The Argentinian on a unicycle traveling to set an 8000 mile world record. There were 2 less military checkpoints, very obvious stop signs in Constitution (and police on the job) and a highway patrol with radar north of la Paz.

And....the bathrooms at the El Rosario Pemex....wait for it....are the best I saw on the way down. And that includes the US stops.

It was worth the drive down to get bread and espresso at El Triunfo which is still standing despite pending modernization.

[Edited on 11-12-2013 by windgrrl]

Jack Swords - 11-12-2013 at 08:08 AM

Thanks for the report, always good to have information before heading down (2 weeks). We sure like the prepaid Fmm.

David K - 11-12-2013 at 09:24 AM

"And....the bathrooms at the El Rosario Pemex....wait for it....are the best I saw on the way down. And that includes the US stops. "

... and I didn't have to pay you to say this! :lol::yes:

windgrrl - 11-12-2013 at 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
"And....the bathrooms at the El Rosario Pemex....wait for it....are the best I saw on the way down. And that includes the US stops. "

... and I didn't have to pay you to say this! :lol::yes:

Here's another one for the Karma bank...and the service at the pump was excellent.

Disclosure: I am not affiliated with DK nor have I received any monetary or in kind remuneration for this review.

I would rather stay at Jardine's, but please stay somewhere else so I can get a room there.

[Edited on 11-12-2013 by windgrrl]