BajaNomad

Wonder what is going on in Loreto. . .

Mula - 11-13-2013 at 08:55 AM

Strange message this morning from the Loreto_Community board.

Wonder what is happening . . .

Dear Friends,
Due to things out of our control The Loreto Restaurant Association has decided to cancel de MEXICAN REVOLUTION DAY FIESTA, for all of you who have bought a ticket our apologies and please ask for your refund.
Thanks for your support and understanding

grizzlyfsh95 - 11-13-2013 at 10:10 AM

Went through several days ago. Much of the area near the Malecon is flooded with sewer water. Bad smell, and not too sanitary. Stayed with a Nomad at the Coco Cabanas. Very nice stay.

elgatoloco - 11-13-2013 at 10:27 AM

That's crappy news.

BajaBlanca - 11-13-2013 at 12:24 PM

It stinks!

Loretana - 11-13-2013 at 05:35 PM

Yes it does. It's a disaster, and a real hazard to the public health.
This is the "manhole" on Calle Davis, oozing live sewage. And we've been driving thru this mess for three weeks. Yikes!

monoloco - 11-13-2013 at 05:43 PM

It will be even worse when it dries out and becomes an airborne health hazard.

Bajahowodd - 11-13-2013 at 05:49 PM

did not yhey undertake a huge sewage project just a few years ago? I remember all the detours.

Marc - 11-13-2013 at 06:04 PM

Eau de Mexico.

TLBaja79 - 11-13-2013 at 09:52 PM

Loreto is such an awesome place that just seems to keep getting in the way of itself.
Constant construction to close the Malecon and now this.... speaking of this year only

Phil S - 11-14-2013 at 06:32 AM

Holy Crap. We just got into town yesterday afternoon, & checked out Santa Fe Hotel. $999.00 pesos for two people. We passed. Then down to Las Flores and was over $100.00 for two people. Then over to Coco Cabana, and SCORED!!!!! $59.00 for just a room per night. And these folks are absolutely committed to customer satisfaction. Met folks from Albany Oregon at the great pool. (we're from Roseburg Or) small world stuff works at it's finest in Loreto. We drove down Davis, but must have missed the 'mess' because we took another street then turned into Coco Cabana. Didn't detect any odor while sitting around the pool visiting?????
Barb & Ed. See ya while we are here.

LaTijereta - 11-14-2013 at 06:51 AM

Good Morning Loreto..

[Edited on 11-14-2013 by LaTijereta]

live.jpg - 33kB

rhintransit - 11-14-2013 at 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil S
Holy Crap. We just got into town yesterday afternoon, & checked out Santa Fe Hotel. $999.00 pesos for two people. We passed. Then down to Las Flores and was over $100.00 for two people. Then over to Coco Cabana, and SCORED!!!!! $59.00 for just a room per night. And these folks are absolutely committed to customer satisfaction. Met folks from Albany Oregon at the great pool. (we're from Roseburg Or) small world stuff works at it's finest in Loreto. We drove down Davis, but must have missed the 'mess' because we took another street then turned into Coco Cabana. Didn't detect any odor while sitting around the pool visiting?????

Cocos Cabanas is very good. I have heard that Iguana Inn can't open because of standing water on the property. Another good choice is SuKasa Bungalows at 35-55/night.

sequoyah - 11-14-2013 at 10:06 AM

I talked with the owner of Las Cabanas and she said problem were on the other side of town. She also said repairs were underway.

rhintransit - 11-14-2013 at 01:24 PM

yes, there are a few streets with problems but north of downtown, some puddles in the tourist areas but the new malecon is looking great, the weather is good, people are as welcoming as ever and life goes on.

ncampion - 11-14-2013 at 04:19 PM

I'm beginning to think that the city is waiting for a good outbreak of Cholera to happen so they can get some International money to help fix the problem. It's been almost a month now.

ncampion - 11-14-2013 at 04:24 PM

OK, just saw that the next scheduled Cruise Ship vist is Dec. 8. Hope it gets cleaned up before then or it may be the last ship to visit period!

Bajahowodd - 11-14-2013 at 05:51 PM

Quote:

Coco Cabanas is a nice place. However, just on the next block down Salvatierra from Santa Fe, and next door to Domingo's Place restaurant is Hacienda Suites. Currently their rates are the same as Coco. Nice rooms. Big pool. Bar and restaurant on site.

Mula - 11-14-2013 at 08:34 PM

O.K., Casitas El Turburon on Calle Davis one block from the boat launch and harbor.

4 little complete houses. . . charming!

iguana inn

loretomike - 11-15-2013 at 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rhintransit
Quote:

Cocos Cabanas is very good. I have heard that Iguana Inn can't open because of standing water on the property. Another good choice is SuKasa Bungalows at 35-55/night.

The Iguana Inn is always closed from mid-summer thru mid-fall while the owners are enjoying life in south orange county. This was extended this year due to a late Oct. knee surgery. They are due back soon and the the Iguana Inn will reopen shortly thereafter.

The standing water mentioned is fresh water seeping up from an underground stream and has nothing to do with the sewage problem in others areas in town.

CJ - 11-16-2013 at 07:36 PM

Fresh water that comes out of the sewer drains. Come on get a grip. It's contaminated water and that's the way it is! Who do you think you are fooling? It's a mess and it needs to be cleaned up.
I drive through it when I'm going to my house. If you think it is fresh water go have a drink of it...

Loretana - 11-16-2013 at 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CJ
Fresh water that comes out of the sewer drains. Come on get a grip. It's contaminated water and that's the way it is! Who do you think you are fooling? It's a mess and it needs to be cleaned up.
I drive through it when I'm going to my house. If you think it is fresh water go have a drink of it...

Amen. And it's all over town, and we would be naïve to think any different.

Of course, if I was a hotelier or restaurant owner I would want to believe a different story. Contaminated effluent is just that.

Paula - 11-16-2013 at 11:57 PM

i've been told that there are two separate water issues happening in Loreto.
The water on the north end of town, on Madero and Davis and the dirt streets up there is sewage. You can smell it.

The water on Juarez, Salvatierra and Hidalgo is much cleaner, though probably not as clean as they say it is. The water table is at street level in the low part of town right now, and fresh spring water is coming up under people's houses and in the streets. This is why Calle Agua Dulce is named Agua Dulce.
Although it may be somewhat contaminated by leaky old pipes, it doesn't smell like the water up north. Historically the area between the malecon and the plaza was wetland and mangeles, not a place where people lived and built.

Phil S - 11-17-2013 at 05:16 AM

Same day I checked into Coco's Cabanas, I stopped by to see a friend I hadn't seen in two years that lives in Loreto. And he said that I shouldn't spend any time in Loreto because of the health issues, and he stays out of 'that' area that has standing water & smells. He also has some concerns for the restaurants that are open in that area?????? Who wouldn't?? We did go out to the restaurant just south of town that opened three weeks ago. You have a sitting choice of 'at the pool' or upstairs looking "out to sea". The owners have done a great job here. And lunch opens at noon. Cold Pacifico's. Great menu, and we had a delightful visit with the owner during the meal. Highly recommend this restaurant. Then next day moved to Nopolo where we stayed with another friend. Drove to Villa Groups new resort south of Loreto maybe 30 miles???? What an incredible project. Staff falling all over themselves to offer any kind of assistance. Other than being as remote as it gets, we did talk to several of the guests while we were there, and they all chose it for it's isolation?????? different strokes for different folks. But the lunch was fine, and though on the edge of pricey side, well worth the drive out there to see it. We didn't get "hit up" once while we were there to get a presentation. We did eat in Nopolo at a little (french???) restaurant while in the area. Seating besides their building, and on the sidewalk, and does have indoor eating. It was FULL, and happy eating guests. And by time I finished my meal, I joined them as a 'happy guest'. Saturday morning, hit the road for Cabo. In LaPaz, BOTTLENECK getting through this town on way to Cabo. Anyone know of any short cuts??? It must have taken us about half an hour just to CRAWL along the south arrouyo road. Maybe it was being Saturday morning, but found the highway at the junction stop light to head south, huge problem. Police were running a manual override controlling the lights. They favored the No. So. traffic. The eastbound 'crawled' painfully. But once out of town, the roadway was E Z driving. And finally at Cabo about 4:30 p.m. The highway from S.T. was wonderful driving. First time on this completed part.

bobblack - 12-7-2013 at 12:51 PM

What is the latest information about Loreto sewer in the streets problem...??????? any solution ... thanks BB.

Was just there.

sequoyah - 12-7-2013 at 03:24 PM

There is one street that has some standing water, but no smell and really no problem.