BajaNomad

Looks like Entremares (Paraiso de Mar) on the Mogote is finished

danaeb - 11-14-2013 at 03:31 PM

http://peninsulardigital.com/extra/cancelan-definitivamente-...

[Edited on 11-14-2013 by danaeb]

Paula - 11-14-2013 at 03:49 PM

Good! Now if they can just get someone to haul all the block and concrete away so that the beautiful, peaceful view of El Magote is restored...

danaeb - 11-14-2013 at 04:05 PM

Couldn't agree more Paula, but I'm not holding my breath. :(

Jack Swords - 11-15-2013 at 07:20 AM

Good to hear that the thing is finally stopped. Be interesting to talk to those who bought houses or condos and where they stand. The past couple of years they have been paying for maintenance and the little shuttle operation. Then there is the golf course that uses "grey" water from the city. So much destruction has taken place out there, lots of mangroves were removed. And, the peninsula has been shrinking in width over the past 10-15 years, beaches I used to run the dog on are gone. So how does this get reclaimed with the golfcourse, home owners, bankrupt developer?

Alan - 11-15-2013 at 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack Swords
Good to hear that the thing is finally stopped. Be interesting to talk to those who bought houses or condos and where they stand. The past couple of years they have been paying for maintenance and the little shuttle operation. Then there is the golf course that uses "grey" water from the city. So much destruction has taken place out there, lots of mangroves were removed. And, the peninsula has been shrinking in width over the past 10-15 years, beaches I used to run the dog on are gone. So how does this get reclaimed with the golfcourse, home owners, bankrupt developer?
Unfortunately I don't think we can un-ring that bell. I would have much preferred that they allow the completion of the existing project but stop any future expansion rather than the blight this decision will leave behind. I don't think there are any winners in this decision.

Bajatripper - 11-20-2013 at 01:34 PM

We can only hope. Now, what to do with all of those buildings over there? Wonder how many super-storms it will take to wash them all into the inner bay?

gnukid - 11-20-2013 at 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajatripper
We can only hope. Now, what to do with all of those buildings over there? Wonder how many super-storms it will take to wash them all into the inner bay?

The way I read it, the road access is closed to heavy traffic such as the workers but is otherwise open to regular people. The boat ferry is still running and people and some workers still transit daily by panga and people still live/visit.

The issue is that the designated forest area are not permitted for high traffic/commercial access notwithstanding all the other problems such as settling and moving dunes, and the unfinished buildings and the problem with running a huge project resort by panga.

weebray - 11-20-2013 at 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajatripper

We can only hope that the land is turned over to the Mexican Navy, based nearby, to sharpen their bombing skills and delight the people of La Paz with their pyrotechnic displays.

susaninlapaz - 2-6-2014 at 06:25 PM

I am so glad I found you folks...someone I met at Don Eddie's RV Park in San Quintin when I said I was not part of La Paz Gringos cuz I did not move to Mexico to hang with gringos. So, here you are, and you seem like a great alternative. I really appreciate this thread about the magote, because all of my Mexican friends and the Mexican family that has adopted me think it is a sin against god and nature.

weebray - 2-6-2014 at 06:50 PM

Bienvenidos Susan, Good choice not to join LP gringos. If you have an opinion, and it sounds like you do, you would not last long on their site. They have a "pablum only" policy and quash anything other than fluff about luncheons or facelifts and other Prozac related items. At the slightest hint of controversy they ban the offender. I made a snide remark about something stupid some vacuous dirt pimp said and got banned - good riddance.

DavidE - 2-7-2014 at 11:06 AM

More than a few on this board are not part of "Gringolandia"

Bienvenidos Amiga

I'll never forget the telephone call I made to the scam artists seeking money for the mega resort that was planned for Loreto. Massive full color brochures, superlatives describing the quality of life as one golfed their way into paradise, before going to the marina and boarding their sloop for a little afternoon c-cktail cruise...

(In Spanish)

Good Afternoon

"Are you calling about our exciting new development in Loreto?"

Yes

"Let me tell you some of the thousands of benefits an investment in your future is going to bring....blah....blah....blah..."

Excuse me I have a question

"Yes?"

Where are you going to get the water? A project like that is going to millions of gallons of water per day?

"Who are you seņor?"

I am an engineer. And unless you run a pipeline from Cd. Constitucion and take water away from agricola, there is nowhere enough water to feed a proyecto like this.

CLICK

Bajatripper - 2-7-2014 at 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan
Quote:
Originally posted by Jack Swords
Unfortunately I don't think we can un-ring that bell. I would have much preferred that they allow the completion of the existing project but stop any future expansion rather than the blight this decision will leave behind. I don't think there are any winners in this decision.

Actually, I think there are some winners in this situation, for it will serve to warn those who don't take Mexican laws and environmental regulations seriously that they would well lose their investments. I'm thinking of the future battles that are brewing for the beaches at Balandra.

Bajatripper - 2-7-2014 at 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by susaninlapaz
I am so glad I found you folks...someone I met at Don Eddie's RV Park in San Quintin when I said I was not part of La Paz Gringos cuz I did not move to Mexico to hang with gringos. So, here you are, and you seem like a great alternative. I really appreciate this thread about the magote, because all of my Mexican friends and the Mexican family that has adopted me think it is a sin against god and nature.

A few years ago I was doing research in La Paz on tourism development. Among the questions I asked local (Mexican) residents was what they thought of the development taking place on the Mogote. With few exceptions, they were all for it. Most of the resistance I found among Mexicans was from out-of-state students who were more environmentally aware than your typical paceņo (natives of La Paz). Paceņos were more interested in the economic growth the project promised.

On the other hand, when I mentioned some of the plans floating around for developing Bahia Balandra and how that might impact future generations of paceņos, I got lots of resistance to the idea of development there.

After some consideration, I concluded that paceņos weren't so concerned about losing access to the Mogote because few of them have had the opportunity to visit it, since it takes either a boat or a 4-wheel drive to gain access to the spit. Bahia Balandra, on the other hand, is a very popular spot among paceņo families, so they have a vested interest in preserving it for their children.

At least, that was my take on the results of my interviews on the subject.

PS welcome to the board and glad to have you as a member.

[Edited on 2-7-2014 by Bajatripper]