BajaNomad

Kurt Caselli Killed in Baja 1000 Accident

bajaguy - 11-16-2013 at 07:29 AM

From ensenada.net

Article posted November 15, 2013
por Elizabeth Vargas by Elizabeth Vargas

A Race Runner Baja 1000 the rider Kurt Caselli, died this afternoon in an accident that occurred near the highway 94 km Ensenada San Felipe, at the height of Santa Catarina.

The Director Municipal Civil Protection Julio Cesar Obregon Angulo confirmed the event that just began circulating on social networks around 21:00.

International SCORE information has not yet confirmed the death, indicates that Caselli disputed the lead with Honda.

Apparently the motorcyclist had an accident alone, to lose control of the unit and the fall killed.

Caselli was the winner of the qualification phase in Class 22 only on Wednesday.

Kurt Caselli according to Agpnoticias sports portal, was the leading candidate to end the reign of Honda in its category, next to Ensenada Ivan Ramirez, Mike Brown and Kendall Norman.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&tl...

[Edited on 11-16-2013 by bajaguy]

This was too young for this guy to go

Ken Cooke - 11-16-2013 at 08:35 AM

bajafam - 11-16-2013 at 08:47 AM

Crappy news........... RIP

grace59 - 11-16-2013 at 08:56 AM

So very sad!

DianaT - 11-16-2013 at 09:01 AM

Very sad for his family. :no:

Hook - 11-16-2013 at 09:16 AM

Seems a rather sanitized version, compared to some of the other things I've read.

mtgoat666 - 11-16-2013 at 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Seems a rather sanitized version, compared to some of the other things I've read.

ya, news articles said he was murdered by spectators that set a "booby trap."

i guess the racers have long known that spectators set booby traps, and racers know the risks they take, but seems that spectator high jinks had result of murder.

EnsenadaDr - 11-16-2013 at 10:07 AM

what was the booby trap?
Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:

i guess the racers have long known that spectators set booby traps, and racers know the risks they take, but seems that spectator high jinks had result of murder.

BajaNomad - 11-16-2013 at 10:12 AM

"Information regarding the incident is still somewhat vague, but it’s been widely reported that the factory-backed KTM rider hit a man-made 'booby trap' at mile marker 796 (of the 883.1-mile race) while leading and while involved in a close battle with the eventual winning JCR Honda Team."

http://www.cyclenews.com/221/22610/Racing-Article/R-I-P--Kur...

Ken Cooke - 11-16-2013 at 10:15 AM

From Bryce Stavron
https://www.facebook.com/bryce.stavron

"Just so the air clears up, I've heard from numerous people, there was no booby trap. Kurt was an incredible rider but to anyone who has raced Baja, you know how incredibly dangerous the natural God made terrain is down there. Do not ruin the spirit of Baja racing just because you feel the need to blame it on someone. I've hit a rock in Matomi wash near San Felipe as fast as my bike would go and rode the front wheel for so long knowing if I go down it could be the end for me. Baja racing will always be one of the, if not the most dangerous form of off-road racing in the world because of the Natural terrain, mental and physical obstacles you have to overcome. Rick Johnson once said it's not about how fast you go but it's how slow you can go and still win. For this very reason he said it. Godspeed Kurt we will all miss you."

bajagrouper - 11-16-2013 at 11:03 AM

Some buttcracks string a rope to a tree attached at the riders head height across the road then pull it tight as the rider approaches,
such a sad loss.......my prayers to his family.....

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
what was the booby trap?
Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:

vgabndo - 11-16-2013 at 11:11 AM

Just before 2:00 AM, my local time, SCORE shut off their audio feed from "Weatherman Diablo", they had just finished setting up another station called "Weatherman North" and about the time that the 1X and 2X were passing Mike's, it was reported that a big iron pipe had been put across the road very near the RM where Kurt died. There were several transmissions about the pipe across the road.
The SCORE helicopter was supposed to have flown there and made sure the problem was taken care of. The next report was, 1X has passed Check point 7, then someone came on the radio and asked where the 2X was, then a few minutes later, this DELAYED (not live) re-broadcast of a microphone laying on Weatherman's desk in his motorhome was terminated by the the broadcaster, SCORE.

Note that I was also watching the LIVE finish line sports broadcaster wannabes in a different window so I knew clearly that the audio-only broadcast of Weatherman was a delay. And, David, I do know that this wasn't the "real" weatherman, but a new man. Aside from the fact that he seems many times by his language to have forgotten that his every word, to his dog, to his friends, and to himself were being streamed to the world, he seemed to do a great job of making sure he didn't get blamed for leaving someone cold in the desert all night. When he described an ATV as a "four wheeled motorcycle thingie" I got the impression he was more familiar with radio than racing, but that is not a criticism.

I very saddened today that we have lost this bright young man, but Baja has a way to go to catch up with the Isle of Man as a grim reaper of racers. There seems to be no end to the folks who are anxious to zip-on the leathers either place.

[Edited on 11-16-2013 by vgabndo]

motoged - 11-16-2013 at 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajagrouper
Some buttcracks string a rope to a tree attached at the riders head height across the road then pull it tight as the rider approaches....

That is one form...as are holes, ramps, obstacles, misplaced route markers....but this incident is yet unconfirmed.

Another world class rider lost ...a risky sport but that doesn't soften the tragedy :(

Hook - 11-16-2013 at 11:15 AM

Does that really clear the air? Numerous news accounts and racing websites reporting it and "numerous people" denying it, according to one person's Facebook page?

Has a Facebook page now become a credible news source?:o

[Edited on 11-16-2013 by Hook]

B U L L E T I N: SCORE International confirms

LaTijereta - 11-16-2013 at 11:41 AM

B U L L E T I N

SCORE International confirms tragic racing accident claims life of American desert racing star Kurt Caselli

ENSENADA, Mexico—SCORE International, a desert racing sanctioning body based in Reno, Nev., has confirmed that American motorcycle star Kurt Caselli tragically lost his life Friday as a result of injuries sustained during a late-race accident at the SCORE Baja 1000 being held in Mexico’s Baja California.
One of the best-liked and respected personalities in American desert racing, Caselli, 30, of Palmdale, Calif., died of serious trauma incurred when he apparently lost control of his KTM motorcycle in a sandy, high-speed section at approximate race-mile 792 while his team was leading in the late stages of the 883.1-mile international desert race.
The accident occurred at 4:30 p.m. PT Friday.
“Our desert racing family has lost a very special person in Kurt,” commented SCORE President Roger Norman. “Kurt was a superb racer and this is a tragedy that affects us all. We extend our deepest condolences, thoughts and prayers to the Caselli family. Their loss is immeasurable and we grieve with them.”
A multi-time AMA National Hare & Hound Champion, WORCS Champion and many-time ISDE gold medalist, Caselli was a developing international rally racer as well. In June of this year he won the Desafio Ruta 40 Rally in Argentina – in what was only his second international rally since making his debut in the Dakar Rally at the end of 2012. Caselli won two stages of the Dakar Rally this past January.
Caselli and his factory-backed KTM racing team won last year’s SCORE San Felipe 250 and finished second and third in the other two SCORE Baja races this season.

SCORE MEDIA CONTACT: Dominic Clark, dominiccnv@aol.com

http://score-international.com/b-u-l-l-e-t-i-n-score-interna...

BajaBlanca - 11-16-2013 at 11:46 AM

Sad news indeed.

DEP

vgabndo - 11-16-2013 at 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LaTijereta
B U L L E T I N

SCORE International confirms tragic racing accident claims life of American desert racing star Kurt Caselli

ENSENADA, Mexico—SCORE International, a desert racing sanctioning body based in Reno, Nev., has confirmed that American motorcycle star Kurt Caselli tragically lost his life Friday as a result of injuries sustained during a late-race accident at the SCORE Baja 1000 being held in Mexico’s Baja California.
One of the best-liked and respected personalities in American desert racing, Caselli, 30, of Palmdale, Calif., died of serious trauma incurred when he apparently lost control of his KTM motorcycle in a sandy, high-speed section at approximate race-mile 792 while his team was leading in the late stages of the 883.1-mile international desert race.
The accident occurred at 4:30 p.m. PT Friday.
“Our desert racing family has lost a very special person in Kurt,” commented SCORE President Roger Norman. “Kurt was a superb racer and this is a tragedy that affects us all. We extend our deepest condolences, thoughts and prayers to the Caselli family. Their loss is immeasurable and we grieve with them.”
A multi-time AMA National Hare & Hound Champion, WORCS Champion and many-time ISDE gold medalist, Caselli was a developing international rally racer as well. In June of this year he won the Desafio Ruta 40 Rally in Argentina – in what was only his second international rally since making his debut in the Dakar Rally at the end of 2012. Caselli won two stages of the Dakar Rally this past January.
Caselli and his factory-backed KTM racing team won last year’s SCORE San Felipe 250 and finished second and third in the other two SCORE Baja races this season.

SCORE MEDIA CONTACT: Dominic Clark, dominiccnv@aol.com

http://score-international.com/b-u-l-l-e-t-i-n-score-interna...

The way SCORE handled this LIVE last night leaves me feeling that this report is about as dependable as something on Facebook. If you were listening and watching last night, you couldn't have missed this little problem that the SCORE stream chose to ignore. The 1X and 2X had been a hundred miles from the finish line and a minute apart, and when the 2nd. place bike crossed the finish line, SCORE publicly decided to not even comment on the fact that the FIRST place bike was missing!

If they didn't already know that they had a disaster that they didn't want to spoil their party, wouldn't someone have raised the question that 2X might have had a mechanical breakdown, or run out of gas, or got lost. NOPE, they just pretended that nothing happened for hours after that.

For balance, I've been reading comments from Mexican citizens living in Baja California who aren't race fans. It is not at all uncommon to hear that, especially the environmentalists, and people who have to drive on the dirt roads when the race is over, would appreciate it if the gringos would move their race to their own country. Put another way, consider how UNLIKELY it would be for a boobie trap to be put across a road if thousands of Mexicans descended on rural Mississippi and held a very dangerous race on the public roads. It wouldn't be boobie traps folks, our racists would likely use IEDs.

To paraphrase on Mexican poster, "Baja California isn't your back yard, it is where we live."

BajaNomad - 11-16-2013 at 12:17 PM

"Early reports that the crash was related to an on-course booby trap or other sabotage have been discredited, though an investigation is underway."

http://xgames.espn.go.com/rally-moto-x/article/9984830/motoc...

Ateo - 11-16-2013 at 12:27 PM

No booby trap, from what I hear.

All I can say it was an eerie feeling hearing the Weatherman channel say that Kurt's Spot/GPS was not moving. As we climbed down out of the mountains east of San Q, the sun was setting, it grew very dark, and the longer everyone listened on the radio, the clearer the picture became, that something was not right.

LaTijereta - 11-16-2013 at 12:45 PM

My thoughts on this tragedy..
Kurt left this world doing something he loved, and no one can take that away from him..
SCORE’s “live” commentator for these races has fallen way short on his knowledge of the racers, their vehicles, and history surrounding this great event.. Roger Norman’s SCORE has got to able to get out front of his broadcast and tracking information if this new page of SCORE is going to succeed.. This guy has been the discussed on many Offroad sites for his poor commentary at these races..
Racing down here in Baja has grown to a “tourist industry” , bring a lot of money into the local economy for all the cities and small towns along the route.. The true Baja Racer has been able to enjoy his or her time down here, and leave with great memories and friends when these races are over..

Kurt.. Va Con Dios...

bufeo - 11-16-2013 at 12:47 PM

I'm so very saddened by Kurt's untimely death. I was shocked when I got up early this morning to check in on the results of the moto racers and see how the Class 10s were doing.

We knew KC only through his close friendship with our son-in-law, but we were around him many times, at races and in other venues. Kurt was a first class person. Our hearts go out to his family and friends. He'll be sorely missed.

Allen R

Cypress - 11-16-2013 at 01:26 PM

A rope across the road? Head high? Booby trap? How 'bout murder. Ought to fry the punks that did it.

bufeo - 11-16-2013 at 01:37 PM

As far as I've seen there was no booby trap to blame here.

See https://www.facebook.com/trobert33/posts/10152377834873747

Allen R

David K - 11-16-2013 at 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bufeo

Allen R

Thank you. I hope that was the case. It is sad that those who oppose this sport resort to such stories to achieve their goals.

DianaT - 11-16-2013 at 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:

Allen R

Thank you. I hope that was the case. It is sad that those who oppose this sport resort to such stories to achieve their goals.

And just how do you know that is their "motive"?

Has there been a problem with traps in offroad races in Baja? YES

Have any riders been injured by a trap? YES

Are all the details vague of often obscured in the first reporting of any type of accident? YES

So please, just how do you magically know the "motives" of some of those reports?

Again, you don't. You are just making baseless accusations --- doing EXACTLY what you say the mystical "they" are doing.

I certainly hope there was no trap.

[Edited on 11-16-2013 by DianaT]

elgatoloco - 11-16-2013 at 02:17 PM

Sad indeed.

As far as reporting is concerned relative to weatherman, score and the rest. I don't think that I would want to hear the news about something like this on the radio broadcast on the www. I am guessing that an abundance of caution was used and efforts made to contact family before a news blast to the world. :no:

He died doing what he loved. Every day is to cherished.

David K - 11-16-2013 at 02:17 PM

Reading 101: I sad I HOPE it was an accident... and NOT a booby trap.

DianaT - 11-16-2013 at 02:20 PM

Quote:
..... It is sad that those who oppose this sport resort to such stories to achieve their goals.

Yes, reading 101 --- or did you "forget" this part of your post?

You are clueless and didn't have the time to do your usual editing to make it sound differently.

[Edited on 11-16-2013 by DianaT]

monoloco - 11-16-2013 at 02:23 PM

Terrible news, RIP KC.

Ateo - 11-16-2013 at 02:25 PM

From THR/Kawasaki rider that we pitted at RM 605 yesterday, Taylor Robert:

I want to make something very clear and stop the rumors. Kurt Caselli did not crash because of a man made booby trap, a spectator, or any other nonsense that people are saying about his accident. My teammate Ricky Brabec was the fist person to Kurt which was in a very secluded area with no Spectators. Ivan Ramirez showed up shortly after Ricky. They decided Ricky would go get help while Ivan stayed with Kurt. Even though the news didn't come out until the night time the accident happened while there was still daylight, and didn't have anything to do with racing at night. This was merely a racing accident and had nothing to do with booby traps, spectators, or another vehicle so please stop spreading rumors.

DianaT - 11-16-2013 at 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo

I want to make something very clear and stop the rumors. Kurt Caselli did not crash because of a man made booby trap, a spectator, or any other nonsense that people are saying about his accident. My teammate Ricky Brabec was the fist person to Kurt which was in a very secluded area with no Spectators. Ivan Ramirez showed up shortly after Ricky. They decided Ricky would go get help while Ivan stayed with Kurt. Even though the news didn't come out until the night time the accident happened while there was still daylight, and didn't have anything to do with racing at night. This was merely a racing accident and had nothing to do with booby traps, spectators, or another vehicle so please stop spreading rumors.

While it certainly will not bring him back, I do hope that is accurate.

DEP

Sorry - Sorry - Sorry

bajaguy - 11-16-2013 at 02:42 PM

I am really sorry I posted this information.

My original motive was to provide information on a tragic accident........HOWEVER.........

People speculating on the cause of the accident, or passing along unverified information without any VALID PROOF, and the FLAMING DIATRIBES from the usual suspects have reduced the original intention to a steaming pile of dog crap.

If you don't have anything positive to add to this post, please don't.

If you want to flame someone, do it with a u2u or take it to off topic.

End of rant

mtgoat666 - 11-16-2013 at 02:45 PM

Quote:
Reading 101: I sad I HOPE it was an accident... and NOT a booby trap.

That's not what you said, dk. Man up and own your words instead of doing the childish "what me?" BS routine

mtgoat666 - 11-16-2013 at 02:48 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Allen R

Dk: cite one instance of opponents fabricating booby trap stories. Btw, it is fans that set the boobytraps. Not the nicest or smartest fans, but fans none the less

DENNIS - 11-16-2013 at 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy

My original motive was to provide information on a tragic accident........HOWEVER.........

People speculating on the cause of the accident, or passing along unverified information without any VALID PROOF, and the FLAMING DIATRIBES from the usual suspects have reduced the original intention to a steaming pile of dog crap.

End of rant

This kinda looked like a valid source;

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
"Information regarding the incident is still somewhat vague, but it’s been widely reported that the factory-backed KTM rider hit a man-made 'booby trap' at mile marker 796 (of the 883.1-mile race) while leading and while involved in a close battle with the eventual winning JCR Honda Team."

bajaguy - 11-16-2013 at 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy

End of rant

This kinda looked like a valid source;

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad

Actually, it was not a valid report, the on the scene report was posted by Ateo.......people including racers jumping to conclusions, not fact based

vgabndo - 11-16-2013 at 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo

This is plenty good enough for me! Thank you for sharing it.

Late last night the very first reports of the accident that I read were broadcast in a window along side the SCORE finish line stream. The rumor was already in full bloom in the hash tag world. The report of a boobie trap in the area to Weatherman, and his reporting it to SCORE certainly contributed to the speculation. (Make that MY speculation if it was read that way.)

I don't think the argument that SCORE failed to report the accident to protect the victim's loved ones is valid. SCORE's pretending that there had been no accident also contributed to the rumor mill, and could do little to alleviate the suffering of the loved ones of a man who might be expected to die violently most any given day as a result of his dangerous profession. I am sad that the fears they must all have held, have come to pass, and I'm honestly happy that no malice contributed to the tragic accident.

What was the real story of the pipe across the racetrack in the RM 700's that was on the radio? Does anyone know first hand?

Sweetwater - 11-16-2013 at 05:23 PM

Tragedies are just tragic and those who exploit them will face their own karma.

RIP KC

EnsenadaDr - 11-16-2013 at 05:31 PM

I know on the Tour de France the spectators are so abundant they actually interfere with the riders.

JoeJustJoe - 11-16-2013 at 05:44 PM

"Eyewitness News" in Los Angeles is reporting Kurt Caselli hit a small animal, and that caused his accident and death.

A quick search on the internet seems to support the view the accident was cause by a collision with some type of animal.

From "Fox News:"

Caselli’s KTM team, who have now recovered the bike, discovered traces on the machine that indicate he had collided with some small animal, which apparently caused the crash.

http://msn.foxsports.com/speed/supercross/kurt-caselli-kille...

Probably some anti-Mexico forces came up with the booby trap bogus report:

Initial reports that said an on-track booby trap caused Caselli’s crash have apparently now been discredited.

http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/16/off-road-rac...

[Edited on 11-17-2013 by JoeJustJoe]

Hook - 11-16-2013 at 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
I know on the Tour de France the spectators are so abundant they actually interfere with the riders.

This entry may earn you the Golden Schwanstuker Award for the most irrelevant post of the year.

EnsenadaDr - 11-16-2013 at 06:03 PM

The latest news is that the crew recovered his bike and he might have collided with a small animal.

http://msn.foxsports.com/speed/supercross/kurt-caselli-kille...

The Tour De France ?

MrBillM - 11-16-2013 at 06:25 PM

Spectators were involved ?

KTM MOURNS THE LOSS OF KURT CASELLI

BajaNomad - 11-16-2013 at 06:55 PM

KTM's official statement:

----------------

Kurt, part of the Factory FMF/Bonanza Plumbing/KTM team competing in this desert race, was in a leading position when he suffered a crash that resulted in severe head trauma. He died of his injuries in Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico.

The team, who have now recovered Kurt's bike discovered traces on the machine that indicate he had collided with some small animal, which apparently caused the crash.

Kurt, 30, was an accomplished American offroad and desert rider but he had also made a successful transition to international rallies for the KTM Factory Team. He was admired and respected in racing circles for his skill, natural talent and exemplary sportsmanship far beyond the borders of his home country. While Kurt was one of the most popular figures on the KTM team, he was also an unmatched role model for young riders and fans.

Passionate about his sport, he had multiple consecutive championships in WORCS and National Hare and Hound racing and had been the lead rider for the USA International Six Days Enduro team for the past ten years. In January 2013, Kurt was drafted into the official KTM Rally team to ride in the Dakar Rally, replacing his friend and factory teammate Marc Coma, who was injured. Kurt’s debut ride in the 2013 Dakar Rally was impressive. He was subsequently given a permanent spot on the KTM Rally team and was preparing to contest the Dakar 2014 and the FIM World Cross Country Rallies Championship in the coming season.

Pit Beirer, Head of KTM Motorsports: “Today we lost a KTM hero in the worst possible circumstances. We are shocked and saddened by this tragic news and our thoughts and deepest condolences go out to Kurt’s family. Kurt was much more than a very talented rider; he was also an exceptional team player. He represented and lived by the values and a passion for racing that lies at the very core of KTM. Our sport has lost more than a great rider; we have also lost an excellent ambassador for offroad racing.”

Jon-Erik Burleson, President of KTM North America: ”We at KTM can't put into context the loss everyone in the motorcycling community is experiencing. Beyond his racing successes and talent as a rider, Kurt was above all else a core member of our greater off-road family that simply can't be replaced. Kurt inspired the KTM family to keep pushing the limits of racing. He was the driving force behind our renewed efforts in Baja, Hare & Hound and the International Six Days Enduro. His work ethic, attitude and graciousness will never be matched.”

Antti Kallonen, Factory FMF/KTM Team Manager: “The loss of Kurt is immense to the sport, our team and to our family. Kurt has been on KTM his entire professional career. Even in the early years he brought something special to the off-road environment by bringing a leadership role like no other. He had the uncanny ability to bring a team together for efforts big and small. Professional motorcycle racing is always considered an individual sport, but Kurt made it a team sport. Whenever there was an opportunity to lead, help, inspire, advise or coach Kurt went into it like he went into a race—completely prepared, completely confident and knowing he could win. Kurt was the most galvanizing force I’ve ever seen. Those who knew him were lucky. Those of us who got to work with him were blessed”.

Kurt Caselli will be deeply missed by the entire KTM family, his teammates, his fellow competitors and by his fans all over the world. At this time of acute sadness, the KTM management and the entire KTM international family extend their heartfelt condolences to the Caselli family.

http://www.ktm.com/news-events/news/all/details/ktm-mourns-t...

-----------------

EnsenadaDr - 11-16-2013 at 08:25 PM

One of his last posts on his Twitter account:

kurt caselli ‏@kurtcaselli 31 Oct
This years Baja 1000 is starting at 11pm Thursday night the 14th of November. Gunna be and interesting… http://instagram.com/p/gJl4obO7YL/

Click on the link for a picture of the bike and helmet and other comments.

Reply Retweet Favorite More Expand

[Edited on 11-17-2013 by EnsenadaDr]

Bajame - 11-17-2013 at 12:19 PM

So sad , My son lived across the street from him when he was younger and coached his baseball team . Have they checked out the web cam yet . My son heard that the front of the bike fell apart and that is why he lost control .

rts551 - 11-17-2013 at 02:38 PM

I was in the area. Talked to the KTM pit. This thread is a good indication of how Baja Nomad can really screw up "information". Hope newbies don'tbelieve everything they read here.

Barry A. - 11-17-2013 at 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
I was in the area. Talked to the KTM pit. This thread is a good indication of how Baja Nomad can really screw up "information". Hope newbies don'tbelieve everything they read here.

As always happens, everywhere, when there is a vacume of information, people will go with what they got, be it speculation or gospel.

It's not unique to NOMADS, and it is human nature.

Barry

David K - 11-17-2013 at 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Quote:

As always happens, everywhere, when there is a vacume of information, people will go with what they got, be it speculation or gospel.

Barry

Do we know where the booby trap rumor got started? Perry, do you recall where you read it, as I think you were the first Nomad to report it here? Hitting a cow or coyote or deer makes it an act of Nature instead an act of 'Human Nature'.

DianaT - 11-17-2013 at 03:44 PM

Quote:

It, unfortunately happens far too often in lots of places when ever there is a disaster, and it certainly does not mean that there are hidden agendas behind the reports as one person here indicated was the case. Most of the first reports are given in good faith and often the final answers are not available for quite some time --- not until all the information and evidence is evaluated.

Meantime, for his family and friends, it is just such a tragedy --- so young, and so sad.

Not believing everything that is posted on this forum is very good advice.

chuckie - 11-17-2013 at 04:04 PM

ol rts551 is always in the area, always talks to everyone, always knows it all..Same BS as last year when a rider was killed in the NORRA race..he was the expert even tho he wasnt within a 100 miles...argued with those of us who were on site...geez

Bajaboy - 11-17-2013 at 04:10 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Barry

Sound a bit like Fox News:lol:

Barry A. - 11-17-2013 at 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Quote:
Quote:

Barry

Sound a bit like Fox News:lol:

------or an Obama Press briefing!!! :lol:

Barry

Hook - 11-18-2013 at 08:23 AM

Quote:

Every speculative post about the incident I saw on Nomads had a link to several different RACING websites.

This rumor wasnt generated by Nomads; it came from the racing community.

DianaT - 11-18-2013 at 02:37 PM

Quote:

Every speculative post about the incident I saw on Nomads had a link to several different RACING websites.

This rumor wasnt generated by Nomads; it came from the racing community.

I guess those would not be the people who

Quote:

....... It is sad that those who oppose this sport resort to such stories to achieve their goals.

DEP young man and for the sake of your family, may they have answers after all of the information is gathered.

[Edited on 11-18-2013 by DianaT]

rts551 - 11-18-2013 at 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
ol rts551 is always in the area, always talks to everyone, always knows it all..Same BS as last year when a rider was killed in the NORRA race..he was the expert even tho he wasnt within a 100 miles...argued with those of us who were on site...geez

Jealous Chuck it. I am saying...quit the BS. The rumors are easy . let the investigation happen. You were not there.

way too many rumors and mis-info on this forum

[Edited on 11-18-2013 by rts551]

Hook - 11-18-2013 at 05:56 PM

So, who's handling this "investigation", rts551? The local policia municipal? One of the states of Baja?

SCORE?

Ken Cooke - 11-18-2013 at 09:20 PM

link: https://www.facebook.com/KurtCaselliRespect

Kurt gave his jersey to this kid what a top guy

mtgoat666 - 11-18-2013 at 10:37 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie

Jealous Chuck it. I am saying...quit the BS. The rumors are easy . let the investigation happen. You were not there.

way too many rumors and mis-info on this forum

[Edited on 11-18-2013 by rts551]

It's just chit chat about the news, sometimes rumors and theories are more interesting than facts.

BajaLuna - 11-18-2013 at 11:02 PM

A top guy indeed, Ken! I'm sure that made his day and he will treasure it forever.

RIP Caselli

Update 11-20-2013

steekers - 11-20-2013 at 11:39 AM

Hello all. My very close source says there will be an extensive reporting done by an ESPN reporter that was with the KTM team. When it gets finalized, I will put it as a new thread and this speculative thread will hopefully end ;D

motoged - 11-20-2013 at 11:49 AM

A buddy passed on a post from somewhere from his mechanic saying that the bike's front end showed signs of likely hitting a large animal like a cow or horse....time will tell.

What is for sure is that he died from injuries incurred in a very risky activity that he was very good at and it is tragic.... death of a loved one is hard on the heart for those experiencing the unexpected loss.

Keyboard racers will have their say....his fans, friends and loved ones carry the burden.

RIP, Kurt :saint:

[Edited on 11-20-2013 by motoged]

ncampion - 11-21-2013 at 10:20 AM

Here's something that I got from a friend who is connected with KTM race team.

These are the facts of what happened at RM 792.
(per Skyler Howes and Ivan Ramirez)

KTM had just pitted Kurt at RM 779. 13 miles later is where Kurt had crashed. The first person on scene was a spectator named "Turtle". Kurt was still breathing at this time. After many minutes, Turtle left to go get help. He did not want to leave but had no choice. This was in a very remote area with sand washes, ravines and trees and hardly any spectators. In the meantime, KTM was re-fueling their helicopter. When they got back in the air, they could not find Kurt - nor could the Honda helicopter. Chris was now getting calls from KTM and SCORE, everyone was looking for Kurt. Kim was working the radios for SCORE and this had now become a Code Red. She was helping us as much as she could. They were all frantically searching. Nobody could find him. We tracked him and told as many as we could what race mile he was at approximately (with Spot trackers, it's not exactly accurate and updates only every 10 or so minutes).

Ivan rode in to find him and he and Ricky Brabec got to Kurt almost at the same time (maybe one right before the other). Ricky on the 4x bike. This was quite a bit of time after Kurt had crashed. Then they started pushing the SOS button on the bike and got the info to KTM and SCORE. Kurt was not breathing at this point. The ambulance arrived at Kurt and now it's night time. They tried to revive him but Kurt had already passed.

After inspection of Kurt's bike, it has been confirmed that he hit a large animal at full speed - either a cow or horse.

Keep praying for Nancy, Caroline and Sarah for many days to come!

Kurt, may the heavens be filled with sweet trails & endless perfect conditions! You have left your mark in the most decent way a human can - with generosity, kindness, and more than an athlete could ever give to a sport! You gave it your heart and your soul. WE LOVE YOU!!!! ♥

woody with a view - 11-21-2013 at 10:34 AM

^^^ That's heavy! ^^^

RIP!

David K - 11-21-2013 at 10:49 AM

Thanks Nick!