BajaNomad

San Luis Sentri Hassel

El Comadante Loco - 11-16-2013 at 09:03 AM

Talked to a friend of mine who crossed using his sentri at San Luis around 5pm yesterday, says it was the worst experience he has had. He was bringing his personal gear and stuff from a months stay in San Felipe. He got sent to secondary and they went through every box, bag, under the seat, under the truck and under the hood where they even took off the battery caps, Sounded like pure harassment. He was lectured about what he could and could not bring and was told that his case would be presented to the agent’s supervisor for further action and that he could expect a letter outlining what course of action would be taken and what he would have to do... Interesting that if what he did was so out of line and in violation of policy I wonder why they did not pick up his Sentri on the spot.

I have crossed many times in Mexicali and Tj with my truck loaded with gear and cooler boxes and have never been told I could not bring my gear across...

Any other Nomad have any problems crossing with personal gear in their truck.. Any other San Luis hassels????

Sentri hassle

BaldEagleMav - 11-16-2013 at 11:55 AM

Hi,

I have had Sentri for about 7 years. There was only one time (about 4years ago) that I crossed in the Sentri lane in my pickup with a "large load".

We live in Tijuana and were going camping in the US. We had a shell on the back of the pickup. There was a bed set up in the back for sleeping and we had our camping gear loaded on top of the bed and in the cab, behind the seats (extra-cab pickup). It was possible to see under the bed - all the way to the end of the truck bed (bedliner was visible after opening the tailgate by
looking under the bed).

This was the largest load I have ever passed through in the Sentri lane - though I have passed various amounts of "stuff" from time-to-time. Sometimes I declare what I am crossing, sometimes I don't.

The border agent told us that the Sentri lane is intended for "quick inspections", and that the load we were crossing was not considered to be within this definition. I don't remember if he sent us to secondary or not (I don't think he did), but he didn't give us any grief beyond this comment.

To be honest, I had no idea from the orientation given to us when we were given the Sentri pass - or in any paperwork, that there is any limitation to what or how much can pass through Sentri. The idea in my mind is that you are "pre-screened" to get Sentri - and there are random "compliance checks" in secondary. In my understanding, the limits for importation that apply to anyone crossing on foot or in a vehicle also apply equally to the Sentri lane.

There was never any mention of this incident when we went to renew our Sentri a little over 2 years ago.

The agents in Sentri rarely even look in the back of our pickup. It appears to have been a random visual check the day he called our attention this "large load" situation.

Regards,
Baldeaglemav

DavidE - 11-16-2013 at 04:49 PM

Rule 1
I'm paranoid

Rule 2
You're pranoid

Rule 3
Someone pulls up to my station obviously flaunting rules that have been meticulously printed and posted for all SENTRI users to see, understand, and abide by

Rule 4
They are sticking it to you. Flaunting the law. Har har har, see the dopey fed.

Rule 5
The old lady hammered on me all night yet again. Nag nag nag. No sleep and now this jerk pulls up.

I'm going to unscrew his head and ---- ---- --- ----.

That's life in the DMV line, US Customs, Traffic Court, IRS, you name it. Think paranoia. Think SUSPICION. Them against us.

Ever had one say to you..."pee me off and I'm going to take a jack hammer to your car!"