BajaNomad

Rough camping safety

Gulliver - 11-18-2013 at 11:32 AM

My partner have been taking our class B and a small cargo trailer to Baja for ten years or so. I sailed the sea in 91-93. I raced bikes the length of the peninsula starting in 69. It's not a new place for me.

That said, the last time we were wandering about in Baja Sur, we had discouraging experiences. Hustled for a few bucks by two fat bicycle cops in Santa Rosalia. Hustled again for maybe $40 in Old Cabo by two cops in a pickup. And then had the camper broken in to at Conception while we were paddling nearby. Lost maybe a grand worth of stuff. So we have been giving it a pass for a few years hoping that things would settle down as they have before.

Now we are getting the itch again. We tend to zip along until we get to maybe the Catavina boulder fields and slow way down. How are things doing for boonie campers recently. Petty theft? Police hassles?

Is rattlesnake beach still O.K.? Has FONATUR closed the whole peninsula down?

We paddle and explore with dual sport motorcycles. Hate to leave the camper when some dirt ball might break a window looking for things.

I used to leave a sign in the window that said in Spanish, "Barbara! Be careful! The snake has gotten out!?

Any current info would be most appreciated.

Mike-Lopez Island, WA

UHHH..HUH !!

captkw - 11-18-2013 at 11:39 AM

Rattle snake bch near P.E. is the same...like all places on earth...if you leave it and go out on the water,, it can be gone when you get back....What I learned to do as a Kid as a travel guy (not weekend warrior) is to find a like minded coulpe/folks and trade Watch the camp Days...

So sad

Gulliver - 11-18-2013 at 11:44 AM

So how about these teasers about troubles at Catavina and being a good idea to park where your lights can't be seen from the road? I'd rather not be woken up in the night by some drunk. Any recent hassles?

It bugs me sooo much since the vast majority of the locals are so nice.

Mike

DaliDali - 11-18-2013 at 12:04 PM

I think it's a prudent idea to restrict your camping to spots that have other campers in close proximity. Like within shouting distance at least, and where fellow campers can see your rig.

Warnings about remote camping abound.

It's just not a good idea.

Giving up a bit of your seclusion, for some security and peace of mind, might be something to ponder.

Just south of Catavina, on the east, or left side going south is Rancho Santa Inez campground. A wiser choice than in the boonies IMO.

Catavina

bajaguy - 11-18-2013 at 12:32 PM

If it's just for one nigh and you are not looking for atmospheret, you could probably park in the lot at the Delegation/Police station just north of the La Mission hotel...........go in and ask them.

chuckie - 11-18-2013 at 12:36 PM

Its really a shame, but its true. We gave it up a few years back after losing stuff in 2 different spots near Mulege. And we werent gone for very long from the vehicles. South end of Conception bay? Almost a 100% chance your vehicle will be robbed if you leave it more than a very short time. It takes all the fun out beachcombing if 1/2 the group has to stand watch...

Osprey - 11-18-2013 at 12:42 PM

What!!!! I spent 60 of the last years getting as far away from other people in all the places I fished and camped. From the Everglades to the Four Corners to the Gigantes and Lagunas of Baja California that's always been my goal. Tell me again just what I should have feared, why I should have traveled 1/1000th of the distance to be solo so I could be sure I'd be camped on top of somebody who I would later need to save me, help me. Are all of you people from Paris or New York City? WTF?

SOuTH END IS

captkw - 11-18-2013 at 12:42 PM

rEALLY,REALLY BAD...LIKE SOMEONE NEEDS TO HIDE IN A CAMPER AND CATCH THE LITTLE RATONS AND BEAT UM !!!!!:fire:

motoged - 11-18-2013 at 12:52 PM

Gulliver,
When I go riding moto away from vehicle, I ALWAYS leave vehicle in a town area with some degree of security.... i. e. tell motel owner I will leave truck there (especially if I have rented a room)...may offer $$$ for "keeping an eye out"; ask Nomad from this list for safe parking.

I do not leave truck unattended in the outback....because "wherever you are in Mexico....wait 20 minutes and a local will walk by ..." and we never know the good guys from the bad at first .....

I don't live in fear, but take conservative and "sensible" precautions.

Good luck with your travels :saint: Don't let the "Lilliputians" of fear tie you down...

Gulliver - 11-18-2013 at 01:15 PM

Well, Osprey, I've seen little evidence in the 54 years since I first crossed the border that would distinguish the government of Mexico from a criminal conspiracy. Given that daily experience, I have been astonished all along that the citizens have been behaving as well as they have. It is a monument to the human spirit that, in the face of monstrous oppression and corruption, the Mexican citizens act as well as they do.

That said, I see little reason to throw myself into the volcano. I don't consume narcotics and I shun those who do. I opposed NAFTA as a clear and present danger to both U.S. and Mexican democracy. I didn't cause the problem. Mexico city has the largest concentration of billionaires in the world and the local public sector workers aren't getting paid. Revolting.

It has come down to personal preservation. I don't enjoy being cooped up in a dusty trailer park. I, too, wish to be far from other people. If I can't do it in Mexico without a big dog and a claymore mine, I will do it somewhere else.

We may still give it a shot. We are keeping our options open. But as it feels just now, we will probably be spending our savings in the Chiricahua mountains this Winter. At least there I will have some expectation that the police will not prey on me.

Osprey - 11-18-2013 at 02:03 PM

I used to camp at Requeson quite a bit. I had a machete to cut fire wood and work the coals. One night a guy in a van showed up and camped close to my cabana and in the morning he told me he had seen my Nevada plates and the machete and that's why he camped right on top of me. The next day he showed me his van and bragged that he was self sufficient and was headed for Cabo, then back to take the ferry to Guymas, then camp here and there in Mexico. He said he didn't speak Spanish, did not EVER stop near Mexicans, talk to them, buy anything but gas because "Mexicans looked funny at him and his girlfriend" and he was very afraid.

I've thought of him as I have read the forum here with 1000s of posts about what campers haul down here for protection --- every known kind of legal and illegal spray, flare gun, stunning and or killing things they say they wouldn't bring except for their fear of personal injury or death. How fearful are those people who go to that extent and are STILL bound to put themselves at risk down here?

I'm too old to sleep on the ground anymore and probably that's best because it sounds like I might easily be killed by accident, Bear Sprayed in the dark, on the beach as I got up to whiz. Maybe those accidents are happening all over but the police reports fail to show clearly "causa muerto, spray para oso". Not too much info on bear attacks and repelentes in the Mexican police training manual I suppose.

Udo - 11-18-2013 at 02:42 PM

I need to throw in my two centavos:

My first 30 years of traveling in Baja, were done much like boondocking. Tent camping, camp in my Westphalia, stop to surf wherever there was a surf break, off-road bike, on-road bike, dual-sport, Jeeps, RVs, fifth wheels, cars (Subaru, DK). I would like to think I have driven every dirt road that heads east or west from Mexico one, but I may have missed some here and there. Essentially, if there was a bay somewhere as well as a point break, I was there. Most of the times I camped alone.
I have yet to encounter a break-in while camping.
However, our room was broken into one time on the second floor at the hotel Castillo Del Mar, in Rosarito beach. They stole my boom box, about 300 CDs in an album, and three bottles of Tequila. Never been back there since. The desk clerk was even a jerk about it.

chuckie - 11-18-2013 at 02:47 PM

Bear spray? where did that come from?

Udo - 11-18-2013 at 02:53 PM

They sell it on E BAY.

It is highly recommended when boondocking in Alaska.

mojo_norte - 11-18-2013 at 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
Bear spray? where did that come from?

Saw some over at the local Walmart this summer - pepper spray?

monoloco - 11-18-2013 at 05:02 PM

Never let your vehicle out of your sight when remote camping unless you have someone you trust watching it. It has been like this for a long time down here and will likely never change. If you want to go hiking or paddling and there is no one around to watch your rig, find a rancho and give the dueño a few pesos to keep an eye on it. As for getting shaken down by police, just refuse to play that game, and demand to be given an infraction and go to the police station to settle. 99 times out of 100 you will be let go with a warning to not commit the imaginary offense again because he will not want you to be explaining to his boss how he had just tried to extort you.

[Edited on 11-19-2013 by monoloco]

Skipjack Joe - 11-18-2013 at 05:02 PM

I'm not sure if your chances of being robbed is greater now than it was 30-40 years ago. They probably are. But there was plenty of theft going on back then. I had Nikon cameras stolen at both La Paz and Loreto in the early 1980's.

I would never think of camping along hwy 1 anymore. I have fond memories of car camping on the large arroyo just south of El Rosario and getting up to photograph at early light. I wouldn't even think of it these days.

Having said that we camp in the boonies every chance we get. That's the quintessential baja experience. Once that's gone baja isn't worth visiting to my way of thinking. I think it's still pretty safe off the beaten track but it only takes one bad experience to change your mind. Also, you're more vulnerable as you grow older.

JohnMcfrog - 11-18-2013 at 07:53 PM

I had a place for 15 years at Canta Mar. We put up bars on the windows and doors and never had a problem . I am at a place in BCS and still have no problems. Don't have any problems in my neighborhood in East County, San Diego, though have plenty of weapons.

Not sure about people with problems. Do notice that most americans drive over the speed limit in Tecate. I crawl thru small towns, just because it is their place and not mine. I am not a local and don't care what they do. They probably know somebody.

Have been in Baja for over 50 years and still think that reasonable care will put me out of harm's way.

Juanito

[Edited on 11-19-2013 by JohnMcfrog]

MMc - 11-18-2013 at 07:59 PM

We often camp miles away from anybody, don't much worry when we leave camp. We figure we are so far away from folks that the thieves won't bother. Also, it's just stuff.

When we are around others we work with everybody else to keep a eye out. After the first day you know you is who is who in camp. People in trailers?RVs seem to spend a lot of time in them and don't get to know to neighbors as well.

The worse it gets the better the story.
It's getting harder to spell adventure with a capitol "A"

Gulliver, go. Don't pay bribes. You'll have fun.

Gulliver - 11-18-2013 at 08:47 PM

"Also, it's just stuff."

To replace that stuff took six weeks off of our vacation time in dollars and a year to sort out the loss of my computer, even with fairly good backups. And the feeling when we found our home all torn apart has never completely left us. It was our safe place. We now travel with our cat. What if some ratons were to dump him out or kill him?

Maybe younger people can wander with nothing but a back pack and live immersed in another culture but I need a place to retreat. I need to relax fairly regularly in familiar surroundings. With a constant feeling that my personal space might be violated at any time, I cannot relax. The sunsets lead to noises in the night. And when my space is violated in an unlawful way, I don't know who to turn to. When robbed at Bahia Conception should I have gone to Santa Rosalia to file a report with the same turds who just shook me down? A great loss and no one to turn to.

I don't need adventures. I have lived a life of adventures. I need peace and beauty.

The happiness is gone. The boojums will have to live on without me. Being a crime victim is not for me. The barbarians have won.

I'm sorry this is so sad. I came to your wonderful forum to inquire and with hope that I would become enthusiastic for a return to old haunts. What has happened has been to remind me to follow my heart.

monoloco - 11-18-2013 at 10:17 PM

Well Gulliver, if you are looking for total security, you won't find it anywhere. We once had our whole camp stolen, tents, sleeping bags, stove, cooler, etc. from a campground on the Rogue river while we were out kayaking for the day. You need to have a security plan wherever you are camping.

dtbushpilot - 11-18-2013 at 11:09 PM

Im like udo, been camping all over baja for years, mostly in remote places, usually by ourselves, never had anything stolen. I accidently left the door of my Jeep open (not unlocked, standing open) all afternoon on Saturday in the parking lot of the desert inn in San Quintin, nothing was touched.

My dad and I just got back form New Mexico, went there to pick up my camper so that I could take it down to baja. We stayed at a very nice Mariott hotel with great security, 2 vehicles were broken into while we were there.

I will be on the road in Baja tomorrow, not going to worry about losing anything, I know it can happen anywhere, guess i've been lucky so far, probably going to be lucky again tomorrow....or maybe not. Either way I'm not going to let the possibility of theft keep me from enjoying life, if somebody wants my stuff I guess they can have it, I don't have anything worth fighting over......

motoged - 11-19-2013 at 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
....., if somebody wants my stuff I guess they can have it, I don't have anything worth fighting over......

Cool....can I have your 525 ? :biggrin::biggrin:

I will be in your barrio in late December/early January....just leave the gate open and some gas in the tank :lol:

paranewbi - 11-19-2013 at 06:36 AM

Sleeping in my VW van off street in an area outside Kino Bay, curtains drawn all around, I heard some voices outside and soon my unsecured wing window was opening...a small arm extended in and the hand attached was groping around for the door handle.
Slowly sitting up I reached out and grabbed the arm about the size of an eight year old and held it just long enough to hear a fearful scream and loud crying erupt from the owner as the sound of many small feet running off filled the night air. I let go and the solo owner was last heard crying in Spanish as his feet fled through the night.
Took me an hour to stop chuckling long enough to get back to sleep.

dtbushpilot - 11-19-2013 at 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
....., if somebody wants my stuff I guess they can have it, I don't have anything worth fighting over......

Cool....can I have your 525 ? :biggrin::biggrin:

I will be in your barrio in late December/early January....just leave the gate open and some gas in the tank :lol:

I'll probably be riding the 525, take the 690....you'll have to fix a flat tire first, new tube on the shelf, don't bring it back empty....:bounce::bounce:

Osprey - 11-19-2013 at 07:36 AM

As the 70s and 80s whizzed by it was harder and harder to find a place, a beach down here where I could be alone. I used to quip that the charm of Baja and the highway were bringing an end to my paradise and I may have to create some kind of bad publicity --- I would rape a gaggle of nuns and make sure I got away clean and the event was well publicized.

I was young enough then that I may have been able to pull that off (a small gaggle) but it would have been a messy affair at best. About all I could do now would be to steal their undergarments and hope for spectacular press.

No worries for my solitude nowdays for there is fear abundant across the land -- of everything, all the time, everywhere while it remains very quiet here in my own little cactus playground down south with less tourists every month and just a few enterprising pick pocket police just doing what they do in each little hamlet.

Ateo - 11-19-2013 at 07:47 AM

Driving to your campsite is much more dangerous than being at your campsite. =)

MMc - 11-19-2013 at 08:42 AM

Gulliver, You asked, we answered. Both my place in the USA and Baja have been broken into. I lost a lot more the USA, because of the personal treasures that were lost, is why I say it's just stuff. Baja is a great place to vacation in and you should go.
You do not know anybody on this board, so why should you believe us anyway. There are a lot more gringos going south then say 3 years ago. I hope you change your mind. Is it safe, yes. Is it without risk, no.
Look at sunrises Russ post if you need some inspiration.

[Edited on 11-19-2013 by MMc]

shari - 11-19-2013 at 08:56 AM

One great thing about our area of central pacific baja is that the vigilancia patrols for the cooperativas cover the entire coast every day making it a safe place to camp. It really discourages bad guys as they know the beaches are being patrolled and they watch any new vehicles in the area to see what they are up to...and if something happens to you or your vehicle, you know someone is going to pass by at some point.

Once we were camping in a very remote area north of here and at dark we saw two sets of headlights racing down the arroyo towards us...we were kinda nervous and Juan told me to get in the tent. The 2 trucks sped up and I admit I was scared...turns out it was the vigilancia who was also scared because they thought we were armed narcos waiting for a pick up at that beach.

We were all glad we knew each other and had a beer together laughing about it. Now when we camp, we advise the vigilancia where we will be so they dont bother us and dont have to come and check us out.

watizname - 11-19-2013 at 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
As the 70s and 80s whizzed by it was harder and harder to find a place, a beach down here where I could be alone. I used to quip that the charm of Baja and the highway were bringing an end to my paradise and I may have to create some kind of bad publicity --- I would rape a gaggle of nuns and make sure I got away clean and the event was well publicized.

I was young enough then that I may have been able to pull that off (a small gaggle) but it would have been a messy affair at best. About all I could do now would be to steal their undergarments and hope for spectacular press.

No worries for my solitude nowdays for there is fear abundant across the land -- of everything, all the time, everywhere while it remains very quiet here in my own little cactus playground down south with less tourists every month and just a few enterprising pick pocket police just doing what they do in each little hamlet.

Nun's undergarments????? Boy you do have a creative mind. I don't think I've ever even thought about nun's undergarments before. :o:o:o

mojo_norte - 11-19-2013 at 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gulliver
So how about these teasers about troubles at Catavina and being a good idea to park where your lights can't be seen from the road? I'd rather not be woken up in the night by some drunk. Any recent hassles?

It bugs me sooo much since the vast majority of the locals are so nice.

Mike

I have not heard these troubles in Catavina? I usually stop and camp in the Rocks for the night and feel it's pretty safe as long as you are out of sight of the highway and keep a low profile. The nearest town with any population is 50+ miles away .

David K - 11-19-2013 at 10:26 AM

Rough camping is safe... go where you can't be seen from the highway and better still, if the road requires 4WD.

As Mama Espinoza said, once the highway was finished in late 1973:

Bad Roads bring Good People...

Good Roads bring 'All Kinds' of People.

bajabuddha - 11-19-2013 at 11:12 AM

i had to give up my love of (relative) solitude and beach camping for a "dusty old trailer park" because of increasing crime in south Conception Bay. Was always watchful, even to the point of 'hypervigilance' (symptom of my PTSD). But unfortunately, desperate times have lead to desperate measures, and with tourism down almost 80% the length of the Peninsula the theft crimes have increased exponentially. Especially when the thieves are brothers or cousins of the local pollicia who could give two sheeits about you and your stuff.

And like was also posted, i'm too damned old to sleep on the ground any more, so am in a rustic 'community' (Gringolandia). I had to give up my favorite place on earth because it finally made me feel i was back in The War, and Chuck (sowwy, Chuck) was out in the bush watching me, waiting for that one misstep or opportunity, and i lost that 'lovin' feelin'.

Also, notice culturally that most if not all Pueblas you drive through in Baja as well as the mainlands have bars on the windows. I could never, nor will ever live in a community where i have to lock myself inside a jail cell to protect myself from the 'outside element' of crime again. I found a li'l hamlet in southern New Mexico that's NOT without its' share of crimes, plenty of Tweakers abound, but not where i bought my li'l plot of comfort... and if it ever comes closer i'll sell and move again until i find a place to be able to TRY to let that '3rd-eye' rest a while.

Even in our spot, there have been 2 motors stolen off Americano's boats this year, here in our RV camp. There have been thefts on private properties in the Puebla too (yes, and in San Diego, Salt Lake City and Sheboigan). The problem is IMHO that the bad press of all the cartel-related murders (most of whom are druggies killing rival druggies) has caused the mass casualties of tourism nationwide here. So desperate times have led to desperate measures, but in an impoverished nation thievery will abound no matter what. If it worries you that much, stay home. If you have to ask if you can afford it, chances are, you can't afford it. Never bring to or invest in Mexico what you can't afford to walk away from. However, it is truly a heartache to be ripped off, no matter where you are, from Rosarito to Rockaway. It's akin to rape, you've been violated, and it hurts.

I'm certain in my heart that the theft i endured in Conception Bay was involved with the son of the beach owner where i camped, and had been for 15 years. I knew the tyke since he was 8, and finally in his early 20's was a lazy shiftless Marijuano, and as he matured into an 'adult', the thefts on surrounding beaches including Requeson increased. One of his older brothers had to 'disappear' for a while from the area due to becoming a thief.

Stories will always abound here about things taken in the night (or worse). So will stories of those who have never been molested....... until it happens to them too.
Just keep that '3rd eye' open, use common sense, and if you love it, lock it.

David K - 11-19-2013 at 11:27 AM

It is sad when your dream is gone... But, to offer another side of the coin, just to show it isn't all bad... last year (2012) we camped at La Perla on Bahia Concepcion twice... and were the only people there on the second time, and just one other family on the first time... even the caretakers/ fishermen were gone. We had no issues with anyone, and had a great time.

Here is the second time we camped there last year:

Not a soul in sight... Just that Baja Feeling!

I think that being out-of-sight from Highway 1 has something to do with it, since the other places to camp on Concepcion can be viewed from 'above' so the vultures know they can drop in on you?

[Edited on 11-19-2013 by David K]

jimgrms - 11-19-2013 at 11:34 AM

I go places cause i like people ,and i like to be around folks and activity, when i want solitude and quite i stay home and close the door ,no matter where you are if you are not watchfull some one will take what you have .

bajabuddha - 11-19-2013 at 11:54 AM

Great pics of my 'old homestead', DaveK. You were probably fortunate that Rosa and her youngest WEREN'T there, made it even safer. I plan on camping there again this winter, but not until i have a friend to travel with and 'hold my hand' now lol.

Pompano - 11-19-2013 at 11:57 AM

Well, Gulliver, like yourself and many other nomads, I, too, have had lots of experience with camping in Baja...rough and easy. So here's my donation to the campfire talk.

From my records, I've made over 40 years of trips up and down the peninsula in any manner of vehicle...cars, vans, jeeps, pickup campers, trailers, fifth wheels, motorhomes, motorcycles, & once by hitchhiking. Like all Baja vets, I've camped in the boonies, beaches, alongside the highway, in gas stations, towns, rv camps, and every spot you can imagine.

One thing I know for sure....Baja has never been free of common thefts and worries about criminals doing you harm. 'Some' police can hassle you for bribes....anywhere. I've seen and witnessed it all, including thefts and homicides. I've personally been fortunate...no serious problems so far...but I've always had great radar and always, always pay attention to my surroundings.

Now, as an old-time Baja traveler you already know the dangers that exist in rough camping...they haven't changed any since those early trips, and it's highly doubtful that they ever will. Camp if you like, use your common sense, and take precautions to protect yourself and family from harm...it's always a gamble.

Whatever and wherever you choose, Baja or the States, I hope it's great fun!

It's my belief and habit that using some levity always seems to lighten the mood of any tense situation. Here's a good story about 'rough camping':

Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson were going camping. They pitched their tent under the stars and went to sleep. Sometime in the middle of the night Holmes woke Watson up and said: "Watson, look up at the sky, and tell me what you see."

Watson replied: "I see millions and millions of stars."

Holmes said: "And what do you deduce from that?"

Watson replied: "Well, if there are millions of stars, and if even a few of those have planets, it’s quite likely there are some planets like Earth out there. And if there are a few planets like Earth out there, there might also be life."

And Holmes said: "Watson, you idiot, it means that somebody stole our tent."

p.s. I know that joke is an 'oldie'....but so am I!

[Edited on 11-19-2013 by Pompano]

Barry A. - 11-19-2013 at 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Well, Gulliver, like yourself and many other nomads, I, too, have had lots of experience with camping in Baja...rough and easy. So here's my donation to the campfire talk.

From my records, I've made over 40 years of trips up and down the peninsula in any manner of vehicle...cars, vans, jeeps, pickup campers, trailers, fifth wheels, motorhomes, motorcycles, & once by hitchhiking. Like all Baja vets, I've camped in the boonies, beaches, alongside the highway, in gas stations, towns, rv camps, and every spot you can imagine.

One thing I know for sure....Baja have never been free of common thefts and worries about criminals doing you harm. 'Some' police can hassle you for bribes....anywhere. I've seen and witnessed it all, including thefts and homicides. I've personally been fortunate...no serious problems so far...but I've always had great radar and always, always pay attention to my surroundings.

Now, as an old-time Baja traveler you already know the dangers that exist in rough camping...they haven't changed any since those early trips, and it's highly doubtful that they ever will. Camp if you like, use your common sense, and take precautions to protect yourself and family from harm...it's always a gamble.

Roger nailed it!!! I 100% agree.

Barry

LaPazGringo - 11-19-2013 at 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by paranewbi
Sleeping in my VW van off street in an area outside Kino Bay, curtains drawn all around, I heard some voices outside and soon my unsecured wing window was opening...a small arm extended in and the hand attached was groping around for the door handle.
Slowly sitting up I reached out and grabbed the arm about the size of an eight year old and held it just long enough to hear a fearful scream and loud crying erupt from the owner as the sound of many small feet running off filled the night air. I let go and the solo owner was last heard crying in Spanish as his feet fled through the night.
Took me an hour to stop chuckling long enough to get back to sleep.

Hilarious! :lol: They were giving away mini baseball bats at a Padres game I went to and I carry mine on the floor beside my seat. It would have been perfect for a well-timed smashing of knuckles in your case. He'd think twice next time he stuck his hand inside someone's car if it had cost him a couple of weeks of use of that hand before. Would have been equally effective if you could have grabbed him and started screaming bloody murder while trying to pull him in through the window (but then you'd have to pull that off without laughing)! :lol:

[Edited on 11-19-2013 by LaPazGringo]

Neal Johns - 11-19-2013 at 04:15 PM

Osprey, I too have been camping in Baja for a few decades and always far, far in the boonies. No people, no problems. If you are going it hike or whatever for a long time, park at a rancho.

Being an Aridologist, I don't know anything about beach camping. :lol::lol::lol:
Neal

Gulliver - 11-19-2013 at 04:37 PM

While Barbara and I think over our options for this Winter, I will relate my story of perceptions.

In 1992, I was wandering about and decided to take the ferry over from La Paz to Topolobampo to ride the train up the canyon. Well worth doing, by the way. At the top of the climb, I got out at Creel and looked around. Soon I spotted the usual decrepit local bus labeled Creel to Batopilas. A survey of my map led me to buy a ticket for a wonderful and alarming ride back down to nowhere in the bottom of the canyon. As I am wont to do, I sought out the bench in front of the Conasupo and took my place with the old farts. I looked at my bench mate, a Tarahumara about eighty years old. My vocabulary of Raramuri was at most twenty words so I reverted. "Hola!

He looked me over carefully and then, in perfect American accented English, said, "Is it true that the area code for Los Angeles is 911?" I jumped a foot. We all had laugh and I spent most of three days right there swapping jokes.

It seems that satellite TV had come to town and they had learned all of their English AND knowledge of our life from the news.

I have been prioritizing my fears. Cops on the take? Aggravating, depressing but old news. Being mugged? Statistically not that likely. As many of you have said, plenty of that going on up North. Getting burgled, a significant chance.

We are putting together plans to use my prybar proof steel box/safe that will live inconspicuously in the cargo trailer. Buried under cheap camping crap and looking like nothing much, we can stash computers, money and such. I am a machinist and I built this thing many years ago. It is impossible to open OR remove without a cutting torch and/or a chain saw. It's painted green and says Coleman on it. I wanted a label that said Diapers Safe but don't know how to spell it in Spanish.

We have not counted out Baja. The Cirio and Sierra Giganta call. On a related note, has CONASUPO managed to block off Rattlesnake Beach at P.E. or is it still possible to camp there? The barbed wire used to come up and down yearly.

Rattle snake

captkw - 11-20-2013 at 04:25 AM

Hola,Far as I know its still open and that you may now get charged...or that the latest that I know of...you might U2U ligui (john) and/or camp at Juancilto....john owns a Killer place there and would know!!

wilderone - 11-21-2013 at 09:04 AM

I have to disagree about camping in remote places. 1. If it's remote, other people are simply not there. 2. If you are hidden from view, you're practically invisible. 3. I feel safer alone than surrounded by others in a campground (it's also quieter and you have the immediate environment all to yourself. 4. Not everyone is a thief.
Lots of places to camp and wander - lock the car of course, valuable hidden and out of sight, of course. You do that in a shopping center in any US city and in front of your own house.
The coastal road south of Punta Baja - nobody there. Again - stay out of sight - very easy to do. Don't camp on the edge of the cliff.
El Marmol and surrounding area - plenty of places to go where nobody else does.
Mision San Fernando, Las Pintas, road to Mision Santa Maria - nobody there. When I spent 5 days backpacking to Mision Santa Maria I parked my car at Sta Inez and asked them to watch it - paid them $5.
Explore to your heart's content around Mision San Borja - they'll watch your car.
Go to Conception Bay with the hordes 2 rows deep? might as well have a neon sign - "easy pickins here".
I had no problems at Requeson last year. There is a resident family and a couple economically-challenged people who check to see what campers have left behind. I gave clothing to the family and food to the other guy.
You won't have any problems camping at Ojo de Liebre campgrounds either. And what Sherry said is right on. The vigilante police checked on me and led me to a great camping spot. I was a bit concerned about wandering too far from my car because it was observable from the road; was gone a couple hours, but no problems.
Really remote and nobody along 25 miles of road outside of Comondu. A few ranchos along the way, but you can easily camp out of sight, or ask to camp on rancho property. Bring something to share.
There are plenty of places to go to enjoy whatever you like to do. the good ole days are gone where you'd pass a car on Mex. 1 every 20 minutes. You just need to accommodate the trend, buy bigger tires and get out there.

woody with a view - 11-21-2013 at 09:17 AM

just go. be smart and don't expect a tweaker to be hiding behind EVERY cactus.

Skipjack Joe - 11-21-2013 at 10:17 AM

Wilderone makes good points and good recommendations. Follow her advice.

Lee - 11-21-2013 at 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gulliver
The happiness is gone. The boojums will have to live on without me. Being a crime victim is not for me. The barbarians have won.

I'm sorry this is so sad. I came to your wonderful forum to inquire and with hope that I would become enthusiastic for a return to old haunts. What has happened has been to remind me to follow my heart.

This is a tough one. As you can tell, most if not all of the posts here say be careful -- don't think anyone is saying yeah they gave up on crime and shakedowns in Baja and now go elsewhere.

It's possible, in my opinion, to find the peace and beauty you're looking in Baja but those places exist in California too and lots of other places.

It's possible to have a healthy paranoia (I call it eyes in the back of my head) and be comfortable with it. That includes dealing with cops who have their hand's out.

In a world of have's and have not's, the hills have eyes.