BajaNomad

Bahia de los Angeles to San Francisquito?

JohnK - 11-18-2013 at 10:00 PM

Has anybody been on the road directly down lately? I drove about halfway down last year. Doable but rough. Was thinking about going the whole way next (Thanksgiving) week. I have a high profile Tacoma with a popup camper. The alternative is back out to Mex 1, then back thru El Arco. Any firsthand observations would be welcome.
JohnK

Pacifico - 11-18-2013 at 10:04 PM

I did it in August and the road was the worst I've ever seen it. Maybe it has been graded since then? If it hasn't, I would definitely recommend going around through El Arco.

BajaRat - 11-18-2013 at 10:08 PM

Hi John,
We have been wanting to do that route as well. There have been recent threads on the subject with mile marks and photos you can research or one of the resident pros will be along soon.
Have fun :cool:

Bajaboy - 11-18-2013 at 10:09 PM

We do the drive every year about this time. Last year, the road to Playa San Rafael was horrible and slow going. From there south, there were a few tight spots but for the most part, it was in good shape. This year, better yet, next week, we will be coming in from El Arco and exiting via Bahia de Los Angeles. Who knows, maybe we'll cross paths along the way. Make sure you stop in and say hello to Pancho at PSR.

I will report when we return. Looking forward to field testing my new Tacoma.

Zac

BajaRat - 11-18-2013 at 10:11 PM

Safe travels to you and the fam Zac ;)
Take lots of photos........... but only a few with the Toyo in them :lol:

[Edited on 11-19-2013 by BajaRat]

Bajaboy - 11-18-2013 at 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaRat
Safe travels to you and the fam Zac ;)
Take lots of photos........... but only a few with the Toyo in them :lol:

[Edited on 11-19-2013 by BajaRat]

Right on...only a few pics of the new Toy...I pick up my new Baja Rack tomorrow...can't wait...don't hold your breath for gps, though:lol:

JohnK - 11-18-2013 at 10:21 PM

New Tacoma! Lucky man, Zac. I turned around before Playa San Rafael last year. I understand it's worth visiting. If we make it, we will certainly say hi to Pancho. Thanks Pacifico. And BajaRat, I guess I'll have to do some more browsing thru the trip reports. Thanks, folks!

Bajaboy - 11-18-2013 at 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnK
New Tacoma! Lucky man, Zac. I turned around before Playa San Rafael last year. I understand it's worth visiting. If we make it, we will certainly say hi to Pancho. Thanks Pacifico. And BajaRat, I guess I'll have to do some more browsing thru the trip reports. Thanks, folks!

The new Tacoma was more of a necessity...my 3 and 5 year olds did not fit in the 2005 Tacoma Access cab. But I'm not complaining one bit....

redhilltown - 11-19-2013 at 12:08 AM

We drove to Las Animas a few weeks ago out of L.A. Bay and I think that usually the answer is not the road, but what you are driving, what is your experience, and what are your expectations. The road was completely fine for a stock Sequoia...rough...some washboard...but certainly nothing remotely difficult. Beyond that turn off I am not sure but I would assume similar. If you air down, take some time (and have some time!), it is just another non maintained Mexican dirt road with some difficulties but you won't be boulder hopping with a winch...though I am sure you could stray off course and find such fun!

Santiago - 11-19-2013 at 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
The new Tacoma was more of a necessity...my 3 and 5 year olds did not fit in the 2005 Tacoma Access cab. But I'm not complaining one bit....

Zac: this is your future if your kids are anything like mine (now in their late 20's).
1. 2018: Tundra extended cab.
2. 2021: Tundra crew cab.
3. 2023: You will be shopping with a tape measure and will be carefully measuring the back seats of everything made. It won't matter a twit who makes it - you will buy the biggest thing out there because the complaining is driving you nucking futz.
4. 2030: back to the Tacoma ext cab unless you now have grandkids - then you will be shopping for a full size van and convert it to a 4X4.

MTFBWY

TMW - 11-19-2013 at 08:30 AM

I drove out of LA Bay this past Friday stoping at Panchos place then on to the El Arco/San Francisquito jct and out to El Arco and on to hwy 1. I've been on that road three times in the past year and it is about the same. This trip I was driving my 04 GMC Z71 and dropped the tires to 25lbs. I don't consider it any worse than the Gonzaga Bay rd, you take the good with the bad. That said, the road thru El Arco to San Francisquito is better. From hwy 1 to El Arco is smooth and fast for a graded road.

JohnK - 11-19-2013 at 09:40 AM

I'll probably try it. Leaving Saturday. It'll be a Mexicali crossing, San Felipe down to Alfonsina's. Down past Coco's, around to LA Bay, and then down. Daytime driving, no rush. My wife's coming with me. We have the pop-up camper on the Tacoma. Maybe spending a night at Gonzaga, two nights at La Gringa. See how far down we get. Will check out Pancho's. We have the week, but I don't want one of those psycho gotta-get-home marathon drives north on the last day.

Drove it July, 2012 south to north...

David K - 11-19-2013 at 10:14 AM

Just a typical Baja graded road... that has not seen a grader over it in some time. 2WD easy, but do let some air out to smooth the ride if it is too rough for you.

Bahia San Rafael (Pancho wasn't at his place, so we camped at the beach a mile+ north):

The junction to Bahia Las Animas and the mystery walls ( http://vivabaja.com/109 ):

Las Flores/San Juan Tramline Railroad Bed:

Bahia de los Angeles:

JohnK - 11-19-2013 at 10:35 AM

Thank you again, DavidK! I was actually thinking of your Shell Island trip as a possible alternative. So much Baja I haven't checked out yet!

David K - 11-19-2013 at 11:04 AM

So much Baja... So little Time!

Shell Island is great because it is just 5-6 hours from my home and we are typically the only people camping on it. The only issue being that it is an island so getting on and off during lunar high tide can be a factor! ;)

We did camp on it going south and back north on our big 2012 trip to the tip!

Dropping tire pressure to around 15 psi is also required to float on this sand/crushed shell surface!

JohnK - 11-19-2013 at 01:16 PM

Well. Maybe I'll try! Hang a left at km26 or so? Did you ever make note of a GPS lat/long? Thanks again.

David K - 11-19-2013 at 01:20 PM

Yup... just past km.26 see a pair of cinder block columns and head east 2 miles.

Marc - 11-24-2013 at 09:02 AM

Pretty bad! Sliced a tire in October.