BajaNomad

"The" Baja

motoged - 11-20-2013 at 12:07 PM

Reading a post where the word "the" preceded the word "Baja" led me to think..... it would be appropriate if referring to "the Baja peninsula" , but left the word "peninsula" is left out as an "omitted reference" (there is a proper grammatical term for that....but my CRS is showing up at the moment).

I offer this remarkable contribution to the forum as a momentary "hhmmmmmm?!", and in acknowledgement of all previous posts about the subject :saint:

Maybe related to this ? : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-marking_in_English

Maybe not...... just a thought :light:

sancho - 11-20-2013 at 12:47 PM

I used to find that slightly irratating, not sure why, seemed
it started some yrs. back, then I figured there are better
things to concern myself about

lizard lips - 11-20-2013 at 01:07 PM

"The Baja" sucks. What other Baja would the person be relating to?

Skipjack Joe - 11-20-2013 at 01:10 PM

Actually this sort of thing would not have bothered me in the past. But now it's different. This is precisely the sort of thing that a grumpy old man can chew on for days.

Bajatripper - 11-20-2013 at 01:16 PM

Doubt there is any relationship, but people have referred to "The Yucatan" for years (perhaps hundreds of years) as a means to identify the peninsula at the other extreme of Mexico.

wessongroup - 11-20-2013 at 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Actually this sort of thing would not have bothered me in the past. But now it's different. This is precisely the sort of thing that a grumpy old man can chew on for days.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

schwlind - 11-20-2013 at 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Reading a post where the word "the" preceded the word "Baja" led me to think..... it would be appropriate if referring to "the Baja peninsula" , but left the word "peninsula" is left out as an "omitted reference" (there is a proper grammatical term for that....but my CRS is showing up at the moment).

I offer this remarkable contribution to the forum as a momentary "hhmmmmmm?!", and in acknowledgement of all previous posts about the subject :saint:

Maybe related to this ? : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-marking_in_English

Maybe not...... just a thought :light:

I think it is a California thing... like interstate 5 is called "the" 5

Taco de Baja - 11-20-2013 at 01:37 PM

It's a thing from those who are from The Canada.

Barry A. - 11-20-2013 at 01:51 PM

I am familiar with as far back as the late '50's in San Diego, and we often referred to the penninsula as "THE BAJA", mostly out of respect for the place------it seemed to enphathise in our minds and to others that BAJA was a very particular & special place, worthy of everybodies amazement and wonder, and somehow calling it "THE BAJA" seemed to be appropriate. I retain that belief to this day, and that title actually excites me to this day.

Barry

motoged - 11-20-2013 at 01:54 PM

A while back a Ukrainian pointed out that her homeland was "Ukraine", not "the Ukraine"....and she said it with a smile ;D

I just find it interesting what formulates our way of describing a place.:light:

DENNIS - 11-20-2013 at 02:06 PM

It's just plain wrong. Baja isn't a thing.....nor is it strictly a place. It's a world unto itself, complete with a world-view of it's own.
It's a feeling akin to that for a first love.
It's a feeling akin to that for our first unrequited love.
It's a challenge...and a rite of passage.
It's an escape...a place to get away.
And, it's a place to find oneself.

It's a place to live with history and nature, as well as a place to watch the future unfold......
..........perhaps too quickly.
It's a place to assimilate a culture.
It's a place to call home.

But........it's not a thing. It's not "The" anything.

It's BAJA.

55steve - 11-20-2013 at 02:11 PM

Similar thing with the Sierras... it's the Sierra - NEVER plural

Boarder? Someone that rents from you - not something you cross

Center council boat? It's console dummy...

V haul boat - hull, you dork!

I actually am working on a list of common misused words - maybe I AM the miserable old man!

El Jefe - 11-20-2013 at 02:16 PM

Hey, I just tell people I live in south lower and I'm proud of it.

vandenberg - 11-20-2013 at 02:26 PM

I tell my European family that I live in Mexico.

And they ask me if I know any murdering Cartel members or any of the folks they regularly dig up.:saint:

Russ - 11-20-2013 at 02:48 PM

Baja:P

Pompano - 11-20-2013 at 02:57 PM

It's an easy accident and sometimes an affection. I suppose it depends on who's saying it and why.

'The' is the most frequently used word in the English language.

Every speaker learns the use of the word 'the' through years of experience, and probably never gives it a second thought. Unless, of course, the day comes when he has to try and teach the use of the word to speakers of a language which doesn't have it. For them, for speakers of languages like Japanese, it is probably the most difficult English word of all to learn to use correctly.

So..forgive those poor souls who say, 'The Baja'.
They are most likely trying their best to fit in with the rest of us who are always absolutely correct in all things to do with My Baja.

mcfez - 11-20-2013 at 03:11 PM

Oh...............I just love the Baja!

"The"...............is used many.....and not just a few. Google is full of The Baja. However one wishes to address The Baja......does it really matter much? There are many "Americanized" names in The Baja for certain areas......yet improperly said. Or is it? :-)

Tbone - 11-20-2013 at 03:35 PM

Kinda like....The Walmart...has sort of a hillbilly sound.

Chupacabra - 11-20-2013 at 04:01 PM

I LOVES TEH BAJA

What really annoys me is when people from the Midwest and East use the term "Cali". Nobody from California would ever say "Cali."

As in "I'm gonna drive my lifted Bro Truck out to Cali someday."

bajajudy - 11-20-2013 at 04:04 PM

Actually it is an adjective.

David K - 11-20-2013 at 04:08 PM

From Dave Deal in Jimmy Smith's book:

The Baja Map-r.JPG - 23kB

David K - 11-20-2013 at 04:10 PM

For a few years... this was THE LICENSE PLATE :light::lol:

nomad 041.jpg - 29kB

DENNIS - 11-20-2013 at 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy

Maybe not, The bajajudy. "The" doesn't describe much.
===================

THE:

definite article
(used, especially before a noun, with a specifying or particularizing effect, as opposed to the indefinite or generalizing force of the indefinite article a or an ): the book you gave me; Come into the house.

bufeo - 11-20-2013 at 04:51 PM

Personally I use the term Baja California, but it doesn't bother me when someone says The Baja. To me it's no different than saying "I floated the Salmon". In context, the listener surely knows the speaker's meaning. Yeah, I know, that may not be the case on this forum. :biggrin: Someone's bound to ask, "Floated the salmon [note lower case] in what?"

Allen R

bufeo - 11-20-2013 at 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy

Maybe not, The bajajudy. "The" doesn't describe much.
===================

THE:

definite article
(used, especially before a noun, with a specifying or particularizing effect, as opposed to the indefinite or generalizing force of the indefinite article a or an ): the book you gave me; Come into the house.

Strictly speaking, Dennis, a "definite article" is a form of adjective.

Allen R

DENNIS - 11-20-2013 at 05:05 PM

OK.....Call it what you will, but I'll call it what myself and Ed Tabor called it fifty years ago over a table of empty beer bottles at the Flying Sportsman's Lodge in Loreto.
And, I'll call it what every person I met on journeys south before there was a road, rancheros and travelers alike, as few as there were, when it would take us two weeks, at least, to make the trip.

You folks who want to call it "the Baja"...........call it that, or anything you want , but you're all Noobs to Baja.

DENNIS - 11-20-2013 at 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bufeo

Strictly speaking, Dennis, a "definite article" is a form of adjective.

Thank you, amigo Allen. I wonder if the Franciscans and Dominicans were are of that?

Correction appreciated, El Allen.:lol:

mcfez - 11-20-2013 at 05:10 PM

The United States?

Germans always say ....let's go to "The" United States for vacation".
Let's go to "The" Baja would be the same use ?

So on and forth........

"Where are you from asked the Frenchman."....
I'm from "The" United States is replied.....

Why so so many say "The" United States? :-)

Hell....there are some that actually name an area in south SF as Shell Beach. That's not proper either.

Really......who da hell cares? Few.

bufeo - 11-20-2013 at 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS...Thank you, amigo Allen. I wonder if the Franciscans and Dominicans were are of that?

Correction appreciated, El Allen.:lol:

Assume you meant "aware of that"...

And, Yes, there's only one "Allen"...just ask my wife. :yes:

:spingrin:

Allen R

brewer - 11-20-2013 at 05:23 PM

Quote:

I think it proves the person saying "the Baja" either hasn't been there, or is a relative newcomer to Baja. I hate to say it, but it really irritates me too...

brewer - 11-20-2013 at 05:26 PM

Quote:
OK.....Call it what you will, but I'll call it what myself and Ed Tabor called it fifty years ago over a table of empty beer bottles at the Flying Sportsman's Lodge in Loreto.
And, I'll call it what every person I met on journeys south before there was a road, rancheros and travelers alike, as few as there were, when it would take us two weeks, at least, to make the trip.

You folks who want to call it "the Baja"...........call it that, or anything you want , but you're all Noobs to Baja.

Just read this, well said.

David K - 11-20-2013 at 05:34 PM

Quote:

flying sportsmen-r.JPG - 48kB

bajadock - 11-20-2013 at 05:46 PM

Why do Californians need to identify interstates with "THE"...5, 8, 805, 15, 405...?

David K - 11-20-2013 at 05:48 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by brewer

I think it proves the person saying "the Baja" either hasn't been there, or is a relative newcomer to Baja. I hate to say it, but it really irritates me too...

While I never say the phrase "The Baja" as in I am going to ...,
I do drop 'California' from it, as 'Baja' is just short for for Baja California.

To me, in the 70's and 80's, 'The Baja' was the short way to talk about a race... "The Baja" was short for the Baja 1000 or the Baja 500... "The Baja" was my C.B. Radio handle back in those decades, too. It was also short for the Baja peninsula, as was said earlier.

The newer use of that term 'The Baja' was really something you heard from Canadians... and even I heard "On the Baja"... It is just a style of speaking. British people say 'The Sudan' instead of just Sudan for the country in Africa.

We say 'The Congo' and The Yucatan (as mentioned earlier, too). The Sahara? I think that's okay, do you really need 'Desert' added? Baja is so famous, it doesn't need California added!!! :light:

Oh, as for the Jesuits, etc. ; BAJA was just 'CALIFORNIA'... Not until 1769, with the push by Spain to establish missions north of the peninsula was there two Californias (Antigua or Old and Nueva or New)... eventually changing to Baja (Lower) and Alta (Upper) California... When we (USA) dropped the ALTA, we basically forced Mexico to keep the BAJA attached to the peninsula... but IT WAS CALIFORNIA FIRST! :light:
:yes:

David K - 11-20-2013 at 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadock
Why do Californians need to identify interstates with "THE"...5, 8, 805, 15, 405...?

I never say 'The 5', always I-5 or Interstate 5... and I was born here in (Alta) California.

Ateo - 11-20-2013 at 05:52 PM

First World Problem.............

What's next, a discussion about who has the best iPhone case?

Just kidding, sort of.

Who cares what someone chooses to call it?

We all know Dennis has the last word on this stuff, as he's not a noob.

:tumble::tumble:

[Edited on 11-21-2013 by Ateo]

vgabndo - 11-20-2013 at 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 55steve

I actually am working on a list of common misused words - maybe I AM the miserable old man!

I could care less!:lol::lol::lol:

motoged - 11-20-2013 at 06:04 PM

An interesting conversation....seems like some folks have some ability to not be bothered by either use as they know what is being referenced; others have some sense of ownership/entitlement to their terminology based on how many years they have been going to Baja California (you know....that peninsula south of Sandy Eggo ;D ) and dismiss any application of logic or grammar to their justification; while others realize that it is simply the horde of Canadians that filter down through united states on whatever highway has a numerical designation that are responsible for this linguistic tragedy/ blasphemy...:light: :biggrin:

No doubt the majority of us know how to get there and why we do it....no matter what we call the place. That's what really counts.

:cool:

mcfez - 11-20-2013 at 06:38 PM

The motoged has spoken wise words.......

motoged - 11-20-2013 at 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez
The motoged has spoken wise words.......

Yeah....it's all the Canadians fault :lol::lol::lol:

They started it....and they just talk funny, anyways :biggrin:

55steve - 11-20-2013 at 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
Quote:
Originally posted by 55steve

I could care less!:lol::lol::lol:

Couldn't care less to be correct...but you knew that...

DENNIS - 11-20-2013 at 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bufeo
Assume you meant "aware of that"...

Of course. Always appreciate a heartfelt correction.

DENNIS - 11-20-2013 at 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
The newer use of that term 'The Baja' was really something you heard from Canadians... and even I heard "On the Baja"... It is just a style of speaking.

Sooooo...they started this blasphemy. Them....They.....I should have known.
:fire::fire::fire:...put yo asssss right here.......:fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire:

DENNIS - 11-20-2013 at 07:14 PM

Quote:

Because most Californians today are from elsewhere and have no California heart and soul.

liknbaja127 - 11-20-2013 at 07:59 PM

Call it want you want, I gust hope I can call It home some day:bounce:

DocRey - 11-20-2013 at 08:01 PM

The Baja, Baja, Baja California, etc. , etc. Really doesn't matter to me. I just hope some day to either take a lengthy vacation or live there for a period of time after my retirement.

Marc - 11-20-2013 at 08:06 PM

Who cares? I don't believe I just read this thread to the end.

grace59 - 11-20-2013 at 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by liknbaja127
Call it want you want, I gust hope I can call It home some day:bounce:

I'm with you liknbaja :tumble:
Baja is the home of my heart!!

grace59 - 11-20-2013 at 08:20 PM

Quote:
It's just plain wrong. Baja isn't a thing.....nor is it strictly a place. It's a world unto itself, complete with a world-view of it's own.

It's a place to live with history and nature, as well as a place to watch the future unfold......

It's BAJA.

Ah, Dennis...You just got me all misty-eyed and longing for Baja as I sit up here in The Washington State freezing The behind off....:lol:

Ateo - 11-20-2013 at 09:15 PM

Quote:
The motored has spoken wise words.......

EXACTLY.

Barry A. - 11-20-2013 at 09:31 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Because most Californians today are from elsewhere and have no California heart and soul.

I am a third-generation Californian, took 4-unit College courses on California History and Geography at San Diego State, and I say "The Baja" all the time. I also come down to SoCal on "the 5" several times a year. So there!!!!! :P :lol:

Barry

DENNIS - 11-20-2013 at 09:49 PM

OK....Let's morph the question a bit:

What do people who live here...I mean live here....call it? Baja?....Or.....uh....that other thing?

Russ - 11-20-2013 at 09:53 PM

I take the 805 to the border but I live in Baja Sur.

elgatoloco - 11-20-2013 at 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
I am familiar with as far back as the late '50's in San Diego, and we often referred to the penninsula as "THE BAJA", mostly out of respect for the place------it seemed to enphathise in our minds and to others that BAJA was a very particular & special place, worthy of everybodies amazement and wonder, and somehow calling it "THE BAJA" seemed to be appropriate. I retain that belief to this day, and that title actually excites me to this day.

Barry

I agree 110%

David K - 11-20-2013 at 10:22 PM

La Baja is fine according to Baja native 'BajaCactus'.

Lee - 11-20-2013 at 10:47 PM

The Baja is South of the 38th Parallel where The True Baja begins.

Skipjack Joe - 11-21-2013 at 12:28 AM

Actually it is peculiar that we call it Baja. Baja means Lower, as in Lower California. Why would you call it just Lower. Probably because you have no idea what it means and are just mouthing a foreign sound.

That's like calling North Dakota, North. Or the Black Hills, Black. Kinda dumb, actually. Even BC makes more sense.

If Socal is the LA/SanDiego area then what is Baja California - Sosocal, VerySoCal. You see, none of it makes sense.

Osprey - 11-21-2013 at 04:11 AM

I was chatting with the bartender one time at the Los Arcos in La Paz and I mentioned the Mexican congress had a bill in consideration to change the name of Baja Sur to Guerrero Negro (to put an end to some confusion). He said he didn't like the idea -- I asked him why and he said he was born in La Paz and didn't see a good reason for the change. I said "What's the difference?"

He said "What's your name?" I told him George. He said "Why don't I just start calling you Harold?"

schwlind - 11-21-2013 at 05:40 AM

Quote:

It's BAJA.

Dennis... I agree 100%

schwlind - 11-21-2013 at 05:48 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by brewer

While I never say the phrase "The Baja" as in I am going to ...,
I do drop 'California' from it, as 'Baja' is just short for for Baja California.

To me, in the 70's and 80's, 'The Baja' was the short way to talk about a race... "The Baja" was short for the Baja 1000 or the Baja 500... "The Baja" was my C.B. Radio handle back in those decades, too. It was also short for the Baja peninsula, as was said earlier.

The newer use of that term 'The Baja' was really something you heard from Canadians... and even I heard "On the Baja"... It is just a style of speaking. British people say 'The Sudan' instead of just Sudan for the country in Africa.

We say 'The Congo' and The Yucatan (as mentioned earlier, too). The Sahara? I think that's okay, do you really need 'Desert' added? Baja is so famous, it doesn't need California added!!! :light:

Oh, as for the Jesuits, etc. ; BAJA was just 'CALIFORNIA'... Not until 1769, with the push by Spain to establish missions north of the peninsula was there two Californias (Antigua or Old and Nueva or New)... eventually changing to Baja (Lower) and Alta (Upper) California... When we (USA) dropped the ALTA, we basically forced Mexico to keep the BAJA attached to the peninsula... but IT WAS CALIFORNIA FIRST! :light:
:yes:

You would be surprised (or maybe not).. there are many who only get confused when one says Baja California... often they follow up by asking... "where in California is that?"

:-) DUH!

Chupacabra - 11-21-2013 at 06:59 AM

Quote:
Quote:

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/the-californian...

mcfez - 11-21-2013 at 07:00 AM

The folks that live year round living there in THE Baja?

How bout the part timers that live in THE Baja (has a home there in The Baja)?

Why not add the visitors that have been going to The Baja for over 25 years on a regular basis?

I have heard The Baja used by the citizens themselves. From visiting old timers as well the 'newbies. There are two sides to each coin.

The United States or United States? The Baja or Baja?

Quote:
OK....Let's morph the question a bit:

What do people who live here...I mean live here....call it? Baja?....Or.....uh....that other thing?

[Edited on 11-21-2013 by mcfez]

Chupacabra - 11-21-2013 at 07:05 AM

Quote:
Quote:

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/the-californian...

David K - 11-21-2013 at 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee

So, from the San Francisco Bay and south?

A lot of folks feel the 'true Baja' begins when you see boojum trees... near the 30th parallel or south of El Rosario... For me it is anywhere south of the Mexican border with California, but especially when I leave the pavement!

mcfez - 11-21-2013 at 10:07 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee

A lot of folks feel the 'true Baja' begins when you see boojum trees... near the 30th parallel or south of El Rosario... For me it is anywhere south of the Mexican border with California, but especially when I leave the pavement!

I agree 100% with you David.

DENNIS - 11-21-2013 at 10:15 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee

Again....those that need a map to find Baja are missing the point.
Baja is a state of mind. Either you have it...or you don't. A GPS won't help with this deficiency. :saint:

CortezBlue - 11-21-2013 at 11:13 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee

I agree 100% with you David.

Many folks also think that there was a shooter in the grassy knoll in Dallas, but that doesn't make it true.

Regardless of the flora and fauna or the geology, Baja California, in Spanish, means lower California. And when someone visits, they are in the Baja Pennesula or The Baja

or

When you have several Tequilas, you are in the Baja, state of mind!!

[Edited on 11-21-2013 by CortezBlue]

[Edited on 11-21-2013 by CortezBlue]

motoged - 11-21-2013 at 11:18 AM

Quote:
La Baja is fine according to Baja native 'BajaCactus'.

Now, David....what would he know ??;D;D

Clearly semimental positions taken by old yankee farts who planted their burros there have more of a grasp of this dilemma than any Mexican... light::lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 11-21-2013 by motoged]

DENNIS - 11-21-2013 at 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CortezBlue

When you have several Tequilas, you are in the Baja, state of mind!!

Ohhhh...is that what causes it. I'll have to pay closer attention. Thanks for the tip. :lol:

DENNIS - 11-21-2013 at 11:23 AM

Quote:

Many folks also think that there was a shooter in the grassy knoll in Dallas, but that doesn't make it true.

It is true. It was a 50 cal machine gun, but it jammed. They were supposed to shot Jackie before she bailed out. :cool:

CortezBlue - 11-21-2013 at 12:02 PM

Quote:
Quote:

It is true. It was a 50 cal machine gun, but it jammed. They were supposed to shot Jackie before she bailed out. :cool:

Did you see the latest thory on cable this month.

The last shot came from an AR15 friendly fire from one of the SS guy's in the car behind Kennedy's. I think it was called "The Smoking Gun!"

Skipjack Joe - 11-21-2013 at 12:09 PM

Quote:

Did you see the latest thory on cable this month.

The last shot came from an AR15 friendly fire from one of the SS guy's in the car behind Kennedy's. I think it was called "The Smoking Gun!"

I thought 1 gnukid was enough for this board.

David K - 11-21-2013 at 12:15 PM

I was wondering when President Kennedy would get added to this thread!?!! :lol::rolleyes:

DENNIS - 11-21-2013 at 12:28 PM

Quote:
I was wondering when President Kennedy would get added to this thread!?!! :lol::rolleyes:

Ohh well.......why not since tomorrow is the day:

http://www.jfklibrary.org/JFK/JFK-in-History/November-22-196...

David K - 11-21-2013 at 02:32 PM

One of my early memories is the Kennedy funeral procession on TV... My mom was trying to figure out how to record it using my dad's wire recorder. John Glenn orbiting the earth was another...

DavidE - 11-21-2013 at 03:46 PM

Living in Quintana Roo, I always detected an extraneous who would refer to it with a "The".

Bajacalifornianos used to be quick to gently correctly someone who misidentified their tierra, now they seemingly could care less.

¿Estas Bajacaliforniano? is the understood way to ask someone if they are a Baja California native.

wessongroup - 11-21-2013 at 03:51 PM

Always thought of it as like going to "The Pike" in Long Beach .... didn't really matter, as long as I got there ... just saying

motoged - 11-21-2013 at 04:42 PM

So....do we say "I love Baja/the Baja" .... or "I have THE love for Baja/the Baja" ?

What seems to really matter is we like that piece of dirt, sand, and water.....and the sunsets/sunrises :saint:

David K - 11-21-2013 at 05:37 PM

Quote:
So....do we say "I love Baja/the Baja" .... or "I have THE love for Baja/the Baja" ?

What seems to really matter is we like that piece of dirt, sand, and water.....and the sunsets/sunrises :saint:

Both sound good to me, as long as BAJA is in there somewhere! :light:

mcfez - 11-22-2013 at 06:53 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Both sound good to me, as long as BAJA is in there somewhere! :light:

:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

Osprey - 11-22-2013 at 07:07 AM

Baja Border

Baja Border is what I call that special place where Baja California meets the border of the State of California. Obviously the zone begins with the border of the U.S. but it has no real geopolitical line or name or mark on a map that explains its Southern limit.

If you saw the movie classic “Last of the Mohicans” you were treated to splendid but very rugged scenery carefully chosen as movie set sites in Upstate New York. If I had left out the word Upstate, you’d be faced with the challenge of dreaming up a visual image of savages in Brooklyn or Manhattan. It is for this stark distinction that some New Yorkers say “There’s New York City, then there’s everything else (in New York State).” When the movie was filmed, the sites were chosen because that’s where the Mohican Indians lived and, more importantly, it remains unspoiled, untrammeled, untamed and unpeopled to this day.

The two Baja California states are like that; there is Tijuana, Tecate, Ensenada, then there’s everything else. New York City and Tijuana have all the people pleasures you could want – even today you’ve got to really want to travel, have a sense of adventure, of falling off the map when you leave those huge cities to discover and enjoy everything else country. A trip to the Baja Border is to experience the great hub of commerce and the people who make it all run – a trip to Egypt is a trip to The Nile River, not to the great barren desert beyond. The river defines the country.

I don’t know how it happened but from my very first visit to the Baja Border in 1953 my expectations went unsatisfied and when I could travel further south in the 60’s and 70s, the border became, to me, flyover country. I couldn’t wait to see what was around the next cove or mountain as I seemed to be driven to find and enjoy Baja’s outback. Over the next few decades I was drawn to those few destinations which gave me solitude and the challenges that entails.

It’s no wonder I retired to a tiny little fishing village almost 800 miles south of the Baja Border. The stark separations come home to me daily as I read a popular chat forum. Almost 8,000 regular members fill the board with up to the minute info about Baja Border fiestas, new restaurants, economic stimulus ideas, off-road racing schedules, etc. that remind me just how far I fled to find another kind of life. I can almost see an old man like me on a well-hidden lake in the Adirondacks pulling up a Manhattan chat group on the internet to read the latest Broadway play reviews, Wall Street mergers and thoughts about a new New York Yankees manager.

Perhaps even clearer when they post shots of the New World Towers and all I have to offer is an early morning shot of a fawn eating from my hand, sunrise over the lake as a simple, but fitting, backdrop.

Skipjack Joe - 11-22-2013 at 09:18 AM

I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment of The Last of the Mohicans. It's one of the most beautiful films ever made of the American Landscape and no other of the eastern part of the country comes even close. There were many great scenes but the one that stays in my mind was their search up a gently sloped granite with water flowing down it's surface. Filmed at first through the leaves, then downwards at the men and then from the level of their feet.

There places in Yosemite like that, but without the woods. New England is very special.

DENNIS - 11-22-2013 at 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
There places in Yosemite like that, but without the woods. New England is very special.

New England in the Fall can't be described with mere words. One must be standing on a country hillside looking across an expanse to fully appreciate it.

DENNIS - 11-22-2013 at 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
New York City and Tijuana have all the people pleasures you could want –

Ron Bacardí even put up a large billboard advertisement with a picture of The Statue of Liberty along the border fence road to hawk their product while at the same time, mock the immigration policies of the US.

bufeo - 11-22-2013 at 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
Baja Border...If you saw the movie classic “Last of the Mohicans” you were treated to splendid but very rugged scenery carefully chosen as movie set sites in Upstate New York. ...

Strange, if you're referring to the movie with D.D. Lewis. I thought all 23 locations for this production were in North Carolina. I believe the earlier version was filmed in California...so where does the "Upstate New York" come in?

But, what do I know?

Allen R

Osprey - 11-22-2013 at 12:16 PM

Bufeo, we're both right: "Filmed in Upstate New York with many scenes shot in N. Carolina".

Guess you might want me to change my analogy to "There's Charlotte, then there's Everything Else."

[Edited on 11-22-2013 by Osprey]

Skipjack Joe - 11-22-2013 at 04:53 PM

The section I liked was 'The River Walk' which is a 2 mile stretch of the Little River in North Carolina. I found this to be more impressive than the images of Chimney Top at the conclusion of the film.

http://www.mohicanpress.com/mo06057.html

Apparently there are many who admire this film. It works on many levels.

Bajahowodd - 11-22-2013 at 06:00 PM

Greetings from the France, The Germany, The Turkey. The Ukraine, The Italy......

motoged - 11-22-2013 at 06:05 PM

Geez....you on EuroRail:?: :biggrin:

David K - 11-22-2013 at 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Greetings from the France, The Germany, The Turkey. The Ukraine, The Italy......

I hope you don't say 'The Switzerland'... because it is better known as the place where CH sticker is on the cars, standing for Confoederatio Helvetica or as we say in English: The Swiss Confederation (or The Confederation of Helvecia)

motoged - 11-22-2013 at 06:51 PM

Helvetica.....a so the Swiss designed that font.....eh?! ;D

David K - 11-22-2013 at 11:52 PM

Quote:

Yup, even the word 'Swiss' is what English speakers hear... Sort of like how do we get "Germany" from the country's name: Deutschland ???

Here is what Wiki says about it (Switzerland or 'CH'):

The English name Switzerland is a compound containing Switzer, an obsolete term for the Swiss, which was in use during the 16th to 19th centuries. The English adjective Swiss is a loan from French Suisse, also in use since the 16th century. The name Switzer is from the Alemannic Schwiizer, in origin an inhabitant of Schwyz and its associated territory, one of the Waldstätten cantons which formed the nucleus of the Old Swiss Confederacy. The name originates as an exonym, applied pars pro toto to the troops of the Confederacy. The Swiss themselves began to adopt the name for themselves after the Swabian War of 1499, used alongside the term for "Confederates", Eidgenossen, used since the 14th century.

watizname - 11-23-2013 at 12:06 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Yup, even the word 'Swiss' is what English speakers hear... Sort of like how do we get "Germany" from the country's name: Deutschland ???

Here is what Wiki says about it (Switzerland or 'CH'):

The English name Switzerland is a compound containing Switzer, an obsolete term for the Swiss, which was in use during the 16th to 19th centuries. The English adjective Swiss is a loan from French Suisse, also in use since the 16th century. The name Switzer is from the Alemannic Schwiizer, in origin an inhabitant of Schwyz and its associated territory, one of the Waldstätten cantons which formed the nucleus of the Old Swiss Confederacy. The name originates as an exonym, applied pars pro toto to the troops of the Confederacy. The Swiss themselves began to adopt the name for themselves after the Swabian War of 1499, used alongside the term for "Confederates", Eidgenossen, used since the 14th century.

Huh??????????????????????????????????????????????:?:

David K - 11-23-2013 at 02:08 PM

What's your question?

Bajahowodd - 11-23-2013 at 05:55 PM

Quote:
Geez....you on EuroRail:?: :biggrin:

Not meaning to brag, but for a number of reasons, I have visited those countries, as well as the Syria, the Lebanon, the Greece, the Croatia, the Bulgaria. I could go on and on.

The original post touched on the fact that folks fall into bad habits when speaking of places, especially if they have not visited the countries they refer to.

In my opinion, Baja and Ukraine are probably the places that are most misidentified.