BajaNomad

October Baja Surf Trip

jasper234 - 11-23-2013 at 10:45 AM

Hi All -

First post here, I am so glad to have found this forum!

Took my oldest son on his maiden surf trip south of Ensenada last month. So nice to get re-acquainted with this great land after a nearly 10 year hiatus! Looking forward to many more trips coming up. Video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF5EX-YbUnI

[Edited on 11-24-2013 by BajaNomad]

Ateo - 11-23-2013 at 10:56 AM

Spectacular. Always love to see a kid driving! Thanks for posting.

David K - 11-23-2013 at 11:09 AM

Very nice... an epic father-son trip indeed!

BornFisher - 11-23-2013 at 11:10 AM

That was great, thanks!!

Chupacabra - 11-23-2013 at 12:55 PM

Epic, the kid was charging! He'll be bragging about this trip to the rest of the groms for months.

Chupacabra - 11-23-2013 at 12:57 PM

That wave at 5m30s was sweet!

Taco de Baja - 11-23-2013 at 01:15 PM

Looks like a great trip.
Ennio Morricone was a good choice for the sound track. Excellent Baja music. :tumble:

shari - 11-23-2013 at 05:42 PM

really great to see a father/son team enjoying baja! welcome back

jasper234 - 11-23-2013 at 06:55 PM

Thanks everyone, it was an epic trip indeed and one neither of us will ever forget. Both of us smiling ear to ear nearly every moment we were south of the border. On those less than great days at work, it is this trip that I currently think about - and the next one...

jasper234 - 11-23-2013 at 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chupacabra
That wave at 5m30s was sweet!

Yeh, was so proud of him. He only started seriously surfing this past summer.

MMc - 11-23-2013 at 07:31 PM

YOU ROCK! Take your kid every year until you can't.
My father started taking me fishing when I was 4. We have gone every year for 52 years. I have very fond memories of these trips, as we get older they are more important to both of us. We have fished all over the world for all kinds of fish. Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, Big Game, Blue water, Surf fishing,Mother boat, Kayak with my friends, his friends, with both.This last year we fished Santo Domingo for butts off the kayak, killed em
It was the one time a year as a teen that got got to see him as a friend and not the a$$hole I thought him to be, I hope it worked both ways.
Do more of these trips with him, he will never forget, maybe you will start a legacy.
Good on you for taking him and posting it so he can show others.
Also he needs to pop up and quit using his knee on the takeoff.

jasper234 - 11-24-2013 at 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MMc
YOU ROCK! Take your kid every year until you can't.
My father started taking me fishing when I was 4. We have gone every year for 52 years. I have very fond memories of these trips, as we get older they are more important to both of us. We have fished all over the world for all kinds of fish. Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, Big Game, Blue water, Surf fishing,Mother boat, Kayak with my friends, his friends, with both.This last year we fished Santo Domingo for butts off the kayak, killed em
It was the one time a year as a teen that got got to see him as a friend and not the a$$hole I thought him to be, I hope it worked both ways.
Do more of these trips with him, he will never forget, maybe you will start a legacy.
Good on you for taking him and posting it so he can show others.
Also he needs to pop up and quit using his knee on the takeoff.

Thanks. The fact that you and your father have been able to pull off a trip for so many years is just plain awesome. It is certainly my intent to try to pull off something similar. BTW, he is working on his pop-up, doing push-ups and jumping to his feet from his belly on the carpet all the time. He's got the bug!

MMc - 11-24-2013 at 08:37 AM

Get him on of those balance on a roller things. They help a lot.

The old man started it and kept at it. In my twenty's I took it over. He always made sure we did at least once a year.I have thanked many times for making time.

BajaNomad - 11-24-2013 at 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jasper234
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF5EX-YbUnI

BajaBlanca - 11-24-2013 at 11:54 AM

Welcome to bajanomad!

I don't understand diddly squat about surfing, but it sure looks like your kid is a natural!

jasper234 - 11-24-2013 at 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
Welcome to bajanomad!

I don't understand diddly squat about surfing, but it sure looks like your kid is a natural!

Thanks for the kind words, he's so excited to read all the positive feedback! We need to go down again soon so we can make another video.

bajaandy - 11-24-2013 at 06:56 PM

Solid contender for the coveted "Best Dad EVER!" award. From the meek looking "Hi mom" to the silly grinning Baja driver to the mad grommet pushing himself over the ledge onto some really good (and big for him!) waves, this will surely be a trip he will never forget. Way to go dad.

elgatoloco - 11-24-2013 at 07:13 PM

That was cool. :cool: Good on ya. You are making memories! The kid is a natural.

Growing up I got to surf with my dad and my mom in Baja. Mom gave it up when I was just 12 or 13 but my dad surfed until he was 63 and tore up his knee. We just celebrated his 89th birthday. He still golfs at least once a week.

watizname - 11-25-2013 at 04:35 PM

And the beat goes on. Very cool. :D

CortezBlue - 11-25-2013 at 05:36 PM

Burrrrrrr
It looks cold but fun!

jasper234 - 11-26-2013 at 06:41 AM

Thanks again everyone for the thoughtful replies. My son is so excited by the feedback! There is a nice swell coming in over the weekend, trying to convince the wife that we MUST go down Friday, even if it means a little less time with extended family...

Meany - 11-26-2013 at 07:06 AM

GO For IT!! :tumble::tumble:

woody with a view - 11-26-2013 at 12:38 PM

just got home from 11 days at different spots but it sure looks like Little Dude has some style! 3:23 in and he sure draws a sweet line. right on Harry!

Marc - 11-26-2013 at 08:06 PM

Someday......with his son.