BajaNomad

So, what r u doing 4 Thanksgiving?

BajaBlanca - 11-26-2013 at 06:57 PM

After much going back and forth, we have decided to indeed skip town and go to San Ignacio for Thanksgiving. It will be our first time staying with Terri and Gary of Ignacio Springs Inn.

http://www.ignaciosprings.com

They are famous for their beautiful yurts. And for their cooking. I am sooooo ready!

And where are you going?

woody with a view - 11-26-2013 at 06:59 PM

you're in for a treat! they make the best breakfast in Baja! as for the dinner, who knows!

we'll be giving Thanks in SD.

Bajaboy - 11-26-2013 at 07:00 PM

I have no idea....and for that I am thankful.

vacaenbaja - 11-26-2013 at 07:02 PM

Make sure to ask for the jalapeno jelly.

Mexitron - 11-26-2013 at 07:03 PM

In Oregon

Hook - 11-26-2013 at 07:07 PM

Me, I'm eatin' turkey and drinkin' a Beaujolais.

I wont be watching football, that's for sure. Still in mourning over the end of the baseball season and a Red Sux win.

woody with a view - 11-26-2013 at 07:10 PM

mourning? didn't you see that CHARGERS win?

grace59 - 11-26-2013 at 07:17 PM

Baja Bound for Thanksgiving!! Turkeying with my "family"of choice!! So fortunate that I get to head down even if it is for just a few nights!!!:bounce:

David K - 11-26-2013 at 07:21 PM

Going south... but not as far as the border...

EATING and FAMILY TIME and FOOTBALL and more EATING! Thanksgiving Day is a food festival with Baja Angel's family, and I have been enjoying it since my first one with them in 2005. Any new family member gets to add their favorite dish from their child memory. My final bachelor Thanksgiving was in El Rosario in 2004 with Antonio and we had lobster at Mama Espinoza's.

I picked up the turkey today (from Iowa Meats in San Diego) and we will be enjoying it cooked traditionally here then taking it to daughter's house. Also on menu is a smoked turkey from son and new father Josh and a ham from daughter Amber and lots of goodies from daughter Kristi and (my) son Chris and his lady, Natalie.

nbacc - 11-26-2013 at 07:24 PM

having family.............wish i was in San Felipe!

55steve - 11-26-2013 at 08:03 PM

We had Thanksgiving last month but will be doing it again at our place. We've got what's left of my family (2 brothers & Mom!) showing up.

woody with a view - 11-26-2013 at 08:11 PM

be thankful for family! i'm down to cousins and in-laws....

Paula - 11-26-2013 at 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
In Oregon

Mexitron, that is an incredible photo!

We are having a non turkey day, dinner out with friends.
One turkey per winter is enough, so we'll have it when family comes down for Christmas.

shari - 11-26-2013 at 09:00 PM

like a good canuck, we had American thanksgiving on Grey Cup Day! hahahaha
Thanks to Acadist for bringing the turkey! Enjoy the holiday everyone ...we have SO much to be thankful for...especially those of us who are lucky enough to live in Baja!
:yes:

bajadogs - 11-26-2013 at 09:43 PM

For the first time in over 20 years I'll be north of the border. :(

My parents will be happy... unless I get a wild hair. :)

Baja DOGS !!

captkw - 11-26-2013 at 09:51 PM

Hola,,Happy what ever !! I Just Have to Say ....Your avatar...KILLS ME!!!...b-tch,,,b-tch and yes,,this is life...sorry..HITS HOME !!

JohnMcfrog - 11-26-2013 at 10:00 PM

Blanca,

Playing golf with my 92 year old father yesterday and having 20 McCormicks at his rest home Thanksgiving on Saturday. Hoping for good weather on my phoney putting green on T day, to have room for these 30 McC people! Hope to see you and Les on my next time down, next week or the week after.

These Chargers are unpredictable. Love unpredictability!

Juanito

Gobble??

EdZeranski - 11-26-2013 at 11:01 PM

Quote:
[ It will be our first time staying with Terri and Gary of Ignacio Springs Inn.
And where are you going?

Great spot and people!! That's the spot we stay at on the way to the north road to Scorpion Bay/San Juanico. Tomorrow we will be in Borrego Springs then to the American Legion pot luck on Thursday. I plan to do some canyon hiking and shoot some clays at the local club. Blanca and Les, have a great Holiday Season.

EdZ

El Woof, El Woof!!!

EdZeranski - 11-26-2013 at 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadogs

Our three Baja Dogs will be with us in Borrego Springs, Guapo, Chica, and Rosie. Oh... and our new San Quintin kitten too!!

EdZ KG6UTS

MMc - 11-26-2013 at 11:23 PM

Dropping in on a few a dawn then doing the hole 9 with parents and extended family. Friday will leave the house a 3:30 catch a boat about a hour south of the boarder and drop in on a few more. Sat.:P

bajadogs - 11-26-2013 at 11:25 PM

Very cool Ed!!! Have a great long lazy-dog weekend.

Kgryfon - 11-26-2013 at 11:57 PM

Cooking TG for 20-25 people at my house!

Cypress - 11-27-2013 at 03:19 AM

Not sure. Might go shoot some ducks.

Udo - 11-27-2013 at 08:07 AM

We normally do all the cooking for the family at Thanksgiving, but since we are currently living in a small apartment we are taking those family members who wish to come for a lobster dinner in Puerto Nuevo. We'll be at Villa Ortega's. Looking forward to the mariachi music and the lobster.

Skipjack Joe - 11-27-2013 at 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
In Oregon

Those are wonderful reflections, Steve.

We are going up to Lake Tahoe. The plan was to do some x-country skiing but it looks as though it will be mostly hiking and shooting. I've never photographed that area.

BajaBlanca - 11-27-2013 at 09:53 AM

Love the varied answers. I wish you all a wonderful holiday ......and I would love to see pics when all is said and done. The hunts, the birds and the food, the hikes, the snow!

Mexitron - 11-27-2013 at 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EdZeranski
Quote:
Originally posted by bajadogs

Our three Baja Dogs will be with us in Borrego Springs, Guapo, Chica, and Rosie. Oh... and our new San Quintin kitten too!!

EdZ KG6UTS

Check out what the rains in August did in Borrego---breached the Tubbs Cyn levee and cut some new channels----water was 600 feet wide in the drainage by Ocotillo Heights...

New arroyo boogie!!

EdZeranski - 11-27-2013 at 03:27 PM

Quote:
[Check out what the rains in August did in Borrego---breached the Tubbs Cyn levee and cut some new channels----water was 600 feet wide in the drainage by Ocotillo Heights...

Yep! I was there at the end of August on the way to Yuma. We have our house in Ocotillo Heights, 750 San Carlos, off Rango. Its interesting checking out our new arroyos at both ends of Borrego Springs. Last weekend we walked up Glorietta Canyon, Friday we will walk up as far as we can go up Tubb and down from Culp Valley.

EdZ KG6UTS
Checking in to the Wheels and Keels net on 3945/7233.5 followed by the Baja net.

Where'd he go???

EdZeranski - 11-27-2013 at 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Not sure. Might go shoot some ducks.

With these new glasses/antiojos/lentes I just shoot AT ducks

EdZ... with the old M37 Ithaca pumps and A5 Brownings.

DavidE - 11-27-2013 at 03:53 PM

Tried to find chicken since el pavo is but a dream. No luck. No arandano, I could whip up some spuds I guess. Somehow that falls on its face when faced with BAFAR salchichas para asar. Thin recap of flogged steer?

Kriminy I'll settle for oatmeal...

David K - 11-27-2013 at 04:16 PM

Dah-veed... in Baja, substitute lobster for turkey... It's the OTHER white meat!

Mama Espinoza's Thanksgiving Dinner, 2004 (with Antonio/BajaCactus and Tony Miranda) :P

BajaBlanca - 11-27-2013 at 04:57 PM

I agree with the idea for lobster! Tell you what, if We end up making turkey later on this month, we will find a way to get some up to you Sr. DavidE ! I suggest you buy some green apples and make some homemade applesauce to go with the lobster......some broccoli......and a salad and voila!

No matter where you are or what you do, make it a Happy Day, amiguitos. Smile a lot. Smile yourself silly.

:biggrin:

Pompano - 11-27-2013 at 05:27 PM

I'm doing a LUTEFISK & PEPPERONI PIZZA and a blood sausage appetizer.

Invites were went. Nobody is coming. The neighbors don't answer their doors.

bigboy - 11-27-2013 at 05:41 PM

We're in San Jose del Cabo at my brother's condo. We spent seven days driving down here including four nights with Shari and Juan.

DENNIS - 11-27-2013 at 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bigboy
We're in San Jose del Cabo at my brother's condo. We spent seven days driving down here including four nights with Shari and Juan.

Cool. Are you going to get a couple of bch-chairs and a bottle of wine and sit on your lot? :biggrin:

BajaLuna - 11-27-2013 at 06:16 PM

Hahaha Pompano!! YUCK! Had to eat lutefisk and pickled herring for the holidays as a kid!

We are having Thanksgiving with our daughter-in-law's family this year! Feels weird not to be cooking. This will be the first Thanksgiving with our 6 week old Granddaughter (our first granddaughter!!!!) and of course our Grandsons will be there too. Grandchildren make every day a thankful day!

I'd trade turkey for lobster any time! Not to mention this PNW rain for the Baja sunshine!

Have a beautiful day everyone!

Pompano - 11-27-2013 at 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Jorge
San Clemente Mission Hospital. Total left knee replcement done this morning. Right knee done 4 months ago. Hospital turky? Pompanos supper sounds better. Cant wait to try out new knees in Baja!

Hey..congrats on the new knees, George. I'm glad you're in warm country to try them out. Have fun in Baja and Happy Thanksgiving.

aguachico - 11-27-2013 at 07:38 PM

Quote:
San Clemente Mission Hospital. Total left knee replcement done this morning. Right knee done 4 months ago. Hospital turky? Pompanos supper sounds better. Cant wait to try out new knees in Baja!

Nice. Love my new knee of three years @ 47 yo's old. Custom fitted cat-scanned design titanium dancing C-H-I-N-G-A-dera.

Oye Blanca happy holidays. Second year in a row not making it to LB. Too much Baja - and I still have a JOB.

For thanksgiving I have to work. No worries, $$$ es bueno eh!

So Friday night catching the concert I missed last year dealing with hurricane Sandy. Pulgas Friday night con Chuy.

DianaT - 11-27-2013 at 08:12 PM

We have a close friend visiting, a friend we met while we were all teaching in Guatemala and have stayed close ever since. He along with another friend, who is an ex-Nomad, and possibly our Physicians Assistant (I hope) are planning to join John in hiking up to White Mountain next year to celebrate John's big 70 next year.

We have been so busy hiking, and touring that there is not time to cook. So we will be off to Whiskey Creek in Bishop for T-Day dinner! Friendship mixed with great times is worth not having the left-overs.

Children and grandchildren will be here over the x-mas holiday, so there will be a lot of cooking then. And besides, we have been stocking up on the small turkey's from Von's every time we spend enough money, so we will have turkey for months to come. :-)

David K - 11-27-2013 at 09:06 PM

Quote:
San Clemente Mission Hospital. Total left knee replcement done this morning. Right knee done 4 months ago. Hospital turkey? Pompanos supper sounds better. Cant wait to try out new knees in Baja!

Get well soon Jorge, more Baja Mission Trails await you!:cool:

Cypress - 11-28-2013 at 03:14 AM

Quote:
EdZ... with the old M37 Ithaca pumps and A5 Brownings.

I hammer 'em with an old Model 12 Winchester.:D

Paulina - 11-28-2013 at 09:15 AM

We will be horsing around NOB this year. I love where we live but it sucks that its not close enough to the border to go "home" for the holiday.

Happy Thanksgiving,

P<*)))>{

Phil S - 11-28-2013 at 10:08 AM

Since Mexitron decided to go to Oregon for Thanksgiving, Wendy & I both being "native" Oregonians, decided to try & maintain the "Oregon Balance", have chosen to go to Cabo for Thanksgiving. So that's where we are at this writing. Thought we'd head down to the beach at Pueblo Bonito Rose Resort for the day of 'soakin up rays', and pina colata's, and wrestling the vendors, as they work for peanuts to keep food on the table
Viva La Baja!!!!.

David K - 11-28-2013 at 10:15 AM

Turkey went into oven a 5am, in-laws on their way here from the desert, cream cheese pies, deviled eggs and banana pudding made last night... Baja Angel works her wings off prepping and cooking! We load it all up and head to San Diego ~11 am where the family is grouping and the other food is coming together. Smoked turkey and a ham join with our oven turkey as the main items... but so many other side dishes and desserts will round it off. Hoping the rain waits until tonight or tomorrow so we can party outside!

Ducks or Beavers???

bajaguy - 11-28-2013 at 10:19 AM

Phil....isn't today the game between the Ducks and Beavers??? (gotta be from Oregon to appreciate this)

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil S
Since Mexitron decided to go to Oregon for Thanksgiving, Wendy & I both being "native" Oregonians, decided to try & maintain the "Oregon Balance", have chosen to go to Cabo for Thanksgiving. So that's where we are at this writing. Thought we'd head down to the beach at Pueblo Bonito Rose Resort for the day of 'soakin up rays', and pina colata's, and wrestling the vendors, as they work for peanuts to keep food on the table
Viva La Baja!!!!.

bajadock - 11-28-2013 at 10:41 AM

Hiking the hills in a few minutes. Cooking two birds plus accoutrements with vecinos this afternoon.

CHEERS and GOBBLES.

DavidE - 11-28-2013 at 11:57 AM

Lobster? LOBSTER?

Shirley You Joke

Thanksgiving Christmas, and Easter, without the traditional foodstuffs gives me license to declare

ETHNIC FOOD CELEBRATION DAY !!!

Do the best ya can with what you got...

Cabbage, potatoes, carrots, and salchichas Bafar para asar.

They are crockpotting as I write...except for the wieners. They get heated separately.

MEIN GOTT

David K - 11-28-2013 at 12:01 PM

Great photo dock...

Well, the turkey is done... just waiting for the in-laws to arrive so we can carpool south!

Hook - 11-28-2013 at 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano

You shouldnt have mentioned the lutefish in your invitation, Roger.

wessongroup - 11-28-2013 at 12:46 PM

Paula - 11-28-2013 at 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano

You shouldnt have mentioned the lutefish in your invitation, Roger.

Yes, and maybe if you had offered pie for dessert... it IS Thanksgivng, after all:yes:

fishbuck - 11-28-2013 at 06:22 PM

I am sitting here in Everett WA. I am thankful for the day off from work.
I have been working my tail off. I have tomorrow off too and the weekend.
I am thankful for my job at The Boeing Company and for my union IAM 751.
I have worked 50-60+ hours almost every week this year so these 4 days off really mean a lot.
I am a long way from my fishcamp in San Quintin. I have only visited once since I moved up here from Newport Beach CA.
That visit to San Quintin was when I went to get my boat and bring it to Seattle. And also when I found out it had been stolen from my friend's hotel parking lot. That was a bad day. I loved that boat and had big dreams for it. I did manage to catch 1 nice fish with it in Bola. That boat was perfect for Bola and San Quintin but I will never get to explore it's full potential.
Oh well...
But I have already begun searching for it's replacement. I don't follow the normal Baja convention when it comes to picking boats but I think that's because I have spent a lot of time fishing in the Pacific.
I decided to stick with a Sea Ray and have found a few very interesting models.
Initially I was going to buy another S-23 Sorrento but they have been out of production too long and are hard to find. But that thing was very cool and was a perfect trailer boat. Better than the best 23 foot panga and man was it fast.
My new favorite is the Sea Ray 268 Sundancer or Weekender. They can be found with twin 205hp V6 Mercruisers. And the deck is totally flush with no protruding engine covers. A walkthrough transom and a swim step.
And the same beam as my S-23 of 8.5 feet makes it easy to trailer.
Perfect for going offshore outside of San Quintin bay to hunt yellowtail, tuna and dorado. And still easy enough to tow to Bola.
I have found 1 here in Seattle so maybe that's the one.
I desperately need a fishing trip to Baja. Maybe I can figure out how to get to San Bruno area for some big winter yellowtail. Maybe into Loreto and rent a car and drive north.
So as I pause for a few days and rest I have a little time to indulge myself in my Baja dreamin and schemin.
And to prepare myself for the fullthrottle effort at work to build as many airplanes as humanly possible.
And for that I am very thankful.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING to you all!:cool:

[Edited on 11-29-2013 by fishbuck]

bajajudy - 11-28-2013 at 06:50 PM

Just back from a wonderful thanksgiving at a friend's house.
Beautiful Sea of Cortez sunset.
Thai candles sent off in thankfulness.
Thanks for everything !

cessna821 - 11-28-2013 at 07:42 PM

We enjoyed a really delicious Thanksgiving dinner at the Serenidad hotel in Mulege.

[Edited on 11-29-2013 by cessna821]

ThanksgivingNom.jpg - 46kB