BajaNomad

Thanksgiving dinner reviews

tripledigitken - 11-29-2013 at 08:45 AM

How did this year's meal stack up?

It was just the two of us and we went out, unremarkable.

elgatoloco - 11-29-2013 at 09:20 AM

Ours was awesome! Except for the part about my wife having emergency surgery Monday for a detached retina. :no:

I cooked a 12 pound bird with apple and mesquite, roasted brussel sprouts, mashed potatoes,turkey gravy and cornbread stuffing (thank you TJ's).

We are thankful the eye doctor made quick work of the repair. :saint: Now if we could somehow speed up the healing.:dudette:

David K - 11-29-2013 at 09:35 AM

I hope Barb is okay and heals completely!

BajaRat - 11-29-2013 at 09:45 AM

Deep fried bird, mashed potatoes, white gravy and Amish pumpkin pie. I'm not a sweets person, but after one bite of the pie I told Michelle she would have to get her own piece.
Ken, sorry bout the uneventful meal, I'm sure the company made up for it.
Elgato, glad to here wifes ok. The bird was smoked with apple and mesquite ?
How long did it take ? That's one thing with frying the bird, it takes so little time that it throws off my old long drawn out morning routine.

monoloco - 11-29-2013 at 11:56 AM

The guest of honor was smoked with cherry wood

It came out well

woody with a view - 11-29-2013 at 12:02 PM

i'm just now feeling better. sick since tues night. not much grub for me....

at least the stomach bug waited until i got home! Thankful for that.

Hook - 11-29-2013 at 12:04 PM

Food was great.

For the first time I didnt buy De Boeuf beaujolais. It was one from Jacque Charlet, a 2011. BETTER THAN THE DE BOEUF'S I'VE HAD!! This was a beaujolais-villages.

But the find was the 2012 Geyser Peak Sauv Blanc that someone brought. Very good, inexpensive, SB from Sonoma County.

DENNIS - 11-29-2013 at 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by elgatoloco
Now if we could somehow speed up the healing.:dudette:

I'll have someone send you a million emails on the "power of prayer." :lol:

Paulina - 11-29-2013 at 12:28 PM

Dern's quote of the day was, "Get out of the kitchen. This is a one man's kitchen!"

It was a good thing that I can be a good listener (at times). He prepared the most amazing Paleo Thanksgiving dinner, complete with no grain, no dairy, no sugar pumpkin pie and vanilla ice cream. I live for this day. And, there is nothing like pie and ice cream for breakfast the next day.

Our Black Friday shopping is also done. BOGO 1/2 price fishing lures at Dick's Sporting Goods. We are stocked up on Krocs and new line for halibut at Las Animas next month.

Can't wait. I love "carpet fishing".

Mateo, please give Barb our speedy recovery wishes too.

Saludos,
P>*)))>{

woody with a view - 11-29-2013 at 03:08 PM

so you can brown bag lunch!!!

:lol:

CortezBlue - 11-29-2013 at 03:48 PM

Pavo frito yesterday

BBQ Pavo with diced bacon and onions on fresh baked hamburger buns with chipotle guda cheese

DENNIS - 11-29-2013 at 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CortezBlue
Pavo frito yesterday

Fried turkey??? Really??

Big frying pan....huh.

woody with a view - 11-29-2013 at 04:35 PM

no D, they use bigass aluminum buckets nowadays!

David K - 11-29-2013 at 05:05 PM

Here are few photos from yesterday, at daughter Amber's home in San Diego...

Do you see the turkey?

Josh's Smoked Turkey

My son Chris (grown up real well!) Why do I still think he's my little boy? (I see a Baja Calendar in the background)

Grandma Baja Angel holding the new baby, and daughter's boyfriend (also a Chris).

The 'Kids' Table', outside...

Dogs need love too!

Chris, Chris, and Daddy Josh with son.

Udo - 11-29-2013 at 05:13 PM

Nice family, David, and also nice photos.

acadist - 11-29-2013 at 05:49 PM

Great Thanksgiving! After a couple of unplanned delays we made it home from BA at about 2 in the afternoon. My awesome wife had the dinner almost done so after a quick rest we ate a juicy bird, best stuffing ever, cranberry sauce and home made sorbet, rolls and yams. Watched some 'American' football. Fell asleep from turkey coma and missed the 3 pies. WHAT A FEAST!

Chucking the Bird

MrBillM - 11-29-2013 at 08:04 PM

Since it was also Chanukah, we waited on the Turkey and had the Ham instead.

Ken Bondy - 11-29-2013 at 08:41 PM

Ours was great. Son Jesse and I helped carve the turkeys.

EnsenadaDr - 11-30-2013 at 12:47 PM

That is hysterical!!
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Bondy
Ours was great. Son Jesse and I helped carve the turkeys.

MMc - 11-30-2013 at 03:05 PM

Turkey, Dried brained and stuffed with family recipe. giblet gravy, mash potatoes, peas, carmel carrots, Waldorf salad with grapes and dates, cranberry cake and 3 pies. Family said it was good.
I have never understood why folks think cooking for Thanksgiving is a big deal. Many lose the idea that it's about being with family and enjoying each other. Perfect food will not make up for a bad people. Cooking for up to 12 is pretty much the same as cooking for four with more volume.
Surfing with only our crew in 2OH waves on Back Friday, eating left overs was killer.

elgatoloco - 12-2-2013 at 11:46 PM

Barb says "thanks for the get well wishes". I hope I never have a detached retina. Recovery means having to keep your head/eyes parallel with the earth 50 minutes of each hour all day for who knows how long. It's been a long week and we see the doc in the AM. Hoping she gets the A ok but it could be another week or.......Wife is never one to sit around much and this has been a real challenge.

BajaRat - cooked this one on a wood pellet grill. 2 3/4 hours at 325. Brined the bird and made a fresh from the wife's herb garden sage,thyme,basil,rosemary butter rub and used apple for the first 2 hours then switched to mesquite to finish. The drippings were used for gravy. In years past we spent Tday in Baja and I always did a wet smoke citrus stuffed tequila lime all day slow slow slow cooked turkey. I would start the bird after breakfast and dinner would be served promptly between 3 & 6 PM. :biggrin: This year we went for a more 'timely' meal.

Did not have a Beaujolais but instead opened a 2005 La Crema 9 Barrel Pinot. Wife was tired and only had one glass, I had to finish the rest while cleaning the kitchen post dinner. :saint: the things you do for love. :dudette:

[Edited on 12-3-2013 by elgatoloco]

rsadcock - 12-3-2013 at 02:28 PM

Had a fantastic meal at Club Marlin in El Centenario - all the trimmings and they even served an excellent pumpkin pie! Yummy
:spingrin: Great company as well with good friends Fred and Marilyn Metcalf.

bajalinda - 12-3-2013 at 03:19 PM

We had a delicious meal at Big Joe's in La Paz. This guy really knows how to cook a down-home style traditional Thanksgiving dinner. Great turkey and gravy, green beans, garlic mashed potatoes, and stuffing. That plus a serving of ham and a serving of mac and cheese (which is not part of my usual T-day fare, but I'm told the mac and cheese is a southern thing). Dessert was sweet potato pie or bread pudding. We opted for the bread pudding and it was melt-in-your-mouth good with bits of chocolate running through it and a coffee-whiskey sauce on top.

Joe and his wife are super hosts and we wish them all the best at this new restaurant that has been open for about 2 months now. Looking forward to going back for the regular menu.

Skipjack Joe - 12-3-2013 at 03:33 PM

We had delicious borsche this year. Made ours from scratch. It's hard to find good borsche these days.

DanO - 12-3-2013 at 05:36 PM

We had 40 people. Two 16 pound whole dry-brined spatchc-cked turkeys in the oven, two 6 pound boneless turkey breasts on the grill, a bunch of drumsticks in the smoker, freshly shucked oysters, green beans almondine, mashed potatoes, yams, lamb sausage stuffing, ten pumpkin pies. And that was just what my wife and I cooked. The guests brought along shrimp c-cktail, two cooked hams, green salad, apple pie, gluten-free pumpkin pie (my sister from San Francisco, of course), cranberry sauce, chocolate cake, home-baked bread, some weird green jello and fruit thing, and cheap beer (I supplied the wine).

My wife was so busy chatting away she didn't eat any turkey and the guests cleared out all of the leftovers when they took off (except for the cranberry sauce and a couple of pies, including the gluten-free one, oddly enough), so my wife insisted that we cook another Thanksgiving just for us and the boys on Saturday. That one was slightly easier, but I'd just as soon never see another turkey again.

bajadock - 12-3-2013 at 06:22 PM

DANO, Gluten free pumpkin pie? What's next alcohol free beer?

Colonia Puerto Escondido, aka "The Cloud Crowd", Snob Hill, Hillbillies...

Highlight for me was the grilled Portobello with dressing, located between the sweet and russet spud dollops. One turkey was bagged and baked, other was dry brined and baked.

Taittinger champagne, Carneros Pinot Noir, Burgess Cabernet Sauvignon, Trader Joe’s 2012 Vintage Ale and Ballast Point Sculpin were among the beverages.

I'm still eating leftovers. Drinking some too.

[Edited on 12-4-2013 by bajadock]

DanO - 12-4-2013 at 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadock
DANO, Gluten free pumpkin pie? What's next alcohol free beer?

Yeah, really. I never understood pretending to drink beer.