BajaNomad

LOBSTER FOR THANKSGIVING IN PUERTO NUEVO...(just south of Rosarito Beach)

Udo - 11-29-2013 at 05:44 PM

Jana and myself decided to treat the family to a lobster dinner at the famous "lobster village" in Puerto Nuevo, just south of Rosarito beach.
We ate at the Villa Ortega's restaurant at the bottom of the dirt road. The ambiance is out of this world, and we scored the best seats in the house at the corner table on the outside deck with the waves crashing just under our feet.

This is half of the 5 lb bug that managed to get to our plates.

I'm sitting in the corner, with my wife Jana across from me. Next to me was daughter Jennifer, and son-in-law Nick Broman. Son Scott is sitting next to Jana, and my sister Rhea is sitting closest to the camera.

Son Scott, and my sister Rhea are digging into their bugs:

Jana is deciding beween the margarita or the lobster!

Son-in-law, Nick Broman is showing of his lobster!

We were serenated a one of several mariachi bands who roam the local restaurants.

The best singer was also the acoustic bass player

We REALLY had a superb time!
The crossing was uneventful. We crossed back at Tecate, where we were about 40 cars back in a single line (we stopped at the top of the hill), and waited a total of 24 minutes until we went by the CBP crossing guard.

woody with a view - 11-29-2013 at 05:52 PM

good times!

David K - 11-29-2013 at 06:02 PM

Wonderful! Thank you Udo and Jana for sharing your 'Baja Turkey' dinner with us (visually)!

churro - 11-29-2013 at 06:36 PM

Very nice family outing! YUM!!

tripledigitken - 11-29-2013 at 07:14 PM

Looks great. Good to see legal size lobster served.

Ken Cooke - 11-29-2013 at 07:29 PM

I love Ortegas! Glad you had such a good time.

Udo - 11-30-2013 at 09:55 AM

You have to bypass a gauntlet of other restaurant hustlers to get to Ortega's, just ignore them.

The view is worth every effort.

BTW...just before you get to the dirt road where you make a left, there is a liquor store on the right (LIQORES DON PISTO) who sells alcohol for the lowest price in all of Baja.

EnsenadaDr - 11-30-2013 at 12:51 PM

Udo, to be honest, I had a craving for turkey before Thanksgiving, but I didn't Thanksgiving Day. Your meal looks great, the lobsters look awesome, what a great idea for Thanksgiving!! When is lobster season over BTW?

DocRey - 11-30-2013 at 01:15 PM

Thanks. Makes us want to drop everything & head down right now! It's our favorite place also.

Chupacabra - 12-3-2013 at 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
You have to bypass a gauntlet of other restaurant hustlers to get to Ortega's, just ignore them.

I always go to Ortega's because I love those patios that are practically over the water, plus they have their own secure lot so I don't worry much about my surfboards and other gear that I typically have with me.

As far as the restaurant hustlers, I find that to be extremely unappealing. As soon as you pull in to the town people start screaming at you. I run away from places like that. Why do they do that, does it actually drum up business?

Udo - 12-4-2013 at 08:24 AM

Yes it does, Chupacabra.

About one in ten take the bait and politely listen and get "sold" on the restaurant that is being hustled.
Some tag teams stand in front of your car while the other motions for you to open the side window.
In Ensenada it is a different story...they use red flag wavers to attract you to their restaurant.

EnsenadaDr - 12-4-2013 at 09:14 AM

The same reason people troll this board and pretend they are from La Jolla. What a ridiculous question, and denigrating Mexico at the same time. Umm, Chupacabra, why do yOU think the people wave people down? Because they are competing for business and Mexico is a poor country. But I guess you wouldn't know that living in La Jolla, California now would you? Who are you anyway? You are so keen to post things about others, but you won't reveal your true self. So give us a hint, maybe you are a distant cousin of Greengoes?
Quote:
Originally posted by Chupacabra
Quote:
Originally posted by Udo

I always go to Ortega's because I love those patios that are practically over the water, plus they have their own secure lot so I don't worry much about my surfboards and other gear that I typically have with me.

As far as the restaurant hustlers, I find that to be extremely unappealing. As soon as you pull in to the town people start screaming at you. I run away from places like that. Why do they do that, does it actually drum up business?

mtgoat666 - 12-4-2013 at 09:36 AM

you referr to one restaurant as "ortegas"

i seem to recall that majority of restaurants in town are named "ortegas." i think "oretegas" is spanglish for "lobster" :lol::lol::lol::lol:

monoloco - 12-4-2013 at 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
The same reason people troll this board and pretend they are from La Jolla. What a ridiculous question, and denigrating Mexico at the same time. Umm, Chupacabra, why do yOU think the people wave people down? Because they are competing for business and Mexico is a poor country. But I guess you wouldn't know that living in La Jolla, California now would you? Who are you anyway? You are so keen to post things about others, but you won't reveal your true self. So give us a hint, maybe you are a distant cousin of Greengoes?
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Udo

I agree with chupacabra, pushy restaurant hustlers are annoying and I usually avoid any place that employs them, as I would in the states or any other country. How does having that opinion constitute denigrating Mexico, or make one a troll? Also, what evidence do you have that chupacabra is "pretending" to be from La Jolla?

EnsenadaDr - 12-4-2013 at 02:25 PM

Monoloco your point is well taken. No one likes the pushiness. But I believe his "surprise" and the not understanding why they do these things is not genuine, it's just a pretext to badmouth Mexico. The expats down here know about and do not like pushy vendors. Not knowing the reason why however, is short of marooonic for a mature person that supposedly has visited Mexico "surfing" numerous times. Udo answered very graciously and his thread was awesome, cause yes, frankly some of us do get tired of Gobble Gobble especially since it is touted as being a healthy alternative to red meat and we eat it during the year. So the lobster dinner was a great alternative to the norm. A troll is a troll is a troll....
Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Udo

I agree with chupacabra, pushy restaurant hustlers are annoying and I usually avoid any place that employs them, as I would in the states or any other country. How does having that opinion constitute denigrating Mexico, or make one a troll? Also, what evidence do you have that chupacabra is "pretending" to be from La Jolla?

monoloco - 12-4-2013 at 03:15 PM

Quote:
Monoloco your point is well taken. No one likes the pushiness. But I believe his "surprise" and the not understanding why they do these things is not genuine, it's just a pretext to badmouth Mexico. The expats down here know about and do not like pushy vendors. Not knowing the reason why however, is short of marooonic for a mature person that supposedly has visited Mexico "surfing" numerous times. Udo answered very graciously and his thread was awesome, cause yes, frankly some of us do get tired of Gobble Gobble especially since it is touted as being a healthy alternative to red meat and we eat it during the year. So the lobster dinner was a great alternative to the norm. A troll is a troll is a troll....
Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Udo

If chupacabra was "badmouthing" anything, it was aggressive restaurant hustlers. I still don't see how you would infer anything about his attitude toward Mexico from that.

Chupacabra - 12-5-2013 at 11:46 AM

Quote:

Quote:
I believe his "surprise" and the not understanding why they do these things is not genuine, it's just a pretext to badmouth Mexico. The expats down here know about and do not like pushy vendors. Not knowing the reason why however, is short of marooonic for a mature person that supposedly has visited Mexico "surfing" numerous times. Udo answered very graciously and his thread was awesome, cause yes, frankly some of us do get tired of Gobble Gobble especially since it is touted as being a healthy alternative to red meat and we eat it during the year. So the lobster dinner was a great alternative to the norm. A troll is a troll is a troll....

Maybe this will help

sancho - 12-5-2013 at 12:08 PM

That's funny Chupacabra, Udo's lobster dinner has gone
off track a BIT. For someone to suggest this board has
anybody who doesn't, to a person,
defend, cherish, Baja/Mex, is nit picking, looking
for a reason to support their absurd premise. This is
La Familia de Baja, however I assume folks here are very small %
of the general population of the US/Canada, enjoy the support

Baja_Itzcoatl - 12-5-2013 at 12:55 PM

I go to Puerto Nuevo 26 times a year and I don’t feel I’m in Puerto Nuevo unless I see the restaurant hustlers… Otherwise I would drive 20 minutes to Ports O Call in San Pedro and have lobster there? It’s the experience and you know what, half the time I eat at one of the restaurants with the more aggressive hustlers who make me laugh in the way they try to get me to their restaurant. There are many of us out there who like it…. my $0.02cents

BajaLuna - 12-5-2013 at 02:38 PM

Glad to see that you had a great Baja Thanksgiving with your family, Udo!

bajabum - 12-11-2013 at 08:39 PM

sad thing is that I don't think Puerto nuevo restaurants have served a locally caught lobster in years...they cleaned out their fishery many moons ago. most of their lobster comes from south of SQ during the season and from places like chile in the off season...lobster still tastes incredible there though still!