BajaNomad

You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.

vgabndo - 12-8-2013 at 02:30 PM

Remembering a genius of my time on the anniversary of his assassination by Mark David Chapman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLgYAHHkPFs

Damned right I'm still p!ssed.:fire:

Is there a Baja connection? Sure...his music will live forever. and that makes me happy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IttC2URDy6M

[Edited on 12-9-2013 by vgabndo]

john lennon.jpg - 10kB

Hook - 12-8-2013 at 02:41 PM

I still think his premature death was the greatest loss of any of the rock poets of that era. By far, really.

I still miss him, to this day.

To me, it was like the moment in time when you found out about JFK and 9/11. I still remember exactly what I was doing and where I was that early evening, PST.

[Edited on 12-8-2013 by Hook]

woody with a view - 12-8-2013 at 02:45 PM

they say i'm a dreamer....

wessongroup - 12-8-2013 at 03:41 PM

Nothing wrong with that pic ... :):)

Ateo - 12-8-2013 at 03:53 PM

Many people have listened to his music while cruising Baja, so it's Baja related. He lives on in his music and lyrics. I was too young to remember when he was murdered. A reminder that we need better mental health care in this country.

"...and the world will be as one."

Mulegena - 12-8-2013 at 04:14 PM

http://youtu.be/RwUGSYDKUxU

A good human walked this way and blessed us.

DENNIS - 12-8-2013 at 04:29 PM

Many people care. They just don't have the voice or the stage.
John did.
What a terrible waste.

Bubba - 12-8-2013 at 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
I still think his premature death was the greatest loss of any of the rock poets of that era. By far, really.

I still miss him, to this day.

To me, it was like the moment in time when you found out about JFK and 9/11. I still remember exactly what I was doing and where I was that early evening, PST.

[Edited on 12-8-2013 by Hook]

Same here, such a sad loss.

Bajahowodd - 12-8-2013 at 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
Many people have listened to his music while cruising Baja, so it's Baja related. He lives on in his music and lyrics. I was too young to remember when he was murdered. A reminder that we need better mental health care in this country.

I have scratched my butt while traveling Baja. Does that mean that Hemorrhoid cream would be a valid topic for this forum?

tripledigitken - 12-8-2013 at 06:24 PM

It would be the same tragedy no matter what the belief system the killer had, don't you think?

liknbaja127 - 12-8-2013 at 06:53 PM

Truly missed. a real genius.

vgabndo - 12-8-2013 at 07:01 PM

Ken and Doug you are absolutely correct. I have edited my post to remove my criticism of Chapman's motives. I hope that others will share their recollections of a man who meant so much to so many of us.

I remember hearing I Want to Hold Your Hand for the first time on a Japanese radio station in a bar in Okinawa and someone had heard that they were all the rage back home! The hottest thing on that juke box as I remember was Green Onions. Booker T and the MGs.:lol:

Long-Gone Lennon.

MrBillM - 12-8-2013 at 08:38 PM

All of his good stuff was in the rearview mirror by the time the nut cracked and John got whacked.

While I didn't care for most of the latter-day Druggie stuff, there were exceptions.

Like "Lovely Rita".

And "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da".

Of course, those were written by [Sir] Paul.

Anyway.

[Edited on 12-9-2013 by MrBillM]

Ateo - 12-8-2013 at 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Quote:

I have scratched my butt while traveling Baja. Does that mean that Hemorrhoid cream would be a valid topic for this forum?

I'm not opposed to you talkin about your hemoroids.

Barry A. - 12-8-2013 at 10:30 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm not opposed to you talkin about your hemoroids.

Me neither, but please give us some warning first. :biggrin:

Barry

[Edited on 12-9-2013 by Barry A.]

Hook - 12-8-2013 at 10:35 PM

Oh, Bill, those weren't even very ORIGINAL songs by Paul, really. Especially Ob La Di; it was just a light hearted piano rag. Rita was a pretty good ditty, though.

John's songs always had so much more meaning and originality than Sir Paul's, IMO.

Here's my top 10-12 songs by John Lennon, in no particular order, except that they are chronological.

You Can't Do That
No Reply
You're Gonna Lose That Girl
Nowhere Man
Baby, You're a Rich Man
Dear Prudence
Happiness is a Warm Gun
I Dig a Pony
Dont Let Me Down
Imagine
Jealous Guy

Where did melody go, these days?

Good night, John.

Skipjack Joe - 12-8-2013 at 11:58 PM

I'm a big fan of Lennon as well but not that much of "I'm a dreamer". It's pretty naive. Probably because I just finished "Heart of Darkness". Perhaps something in between would be a good goal.

Hook - 12-9-2013 at 10:44 AM

Well, people once dreamed about governing themselves without a king to make their lives miserable. Look what happened.

Every major social advancement started as a dream in someone's mind.

That's ENTERTAINMENT !

MrBillM - 12-9-2013 at 11:13 AM

And ALL that's important is whether or not YOU (or me) enjoy the presentation.

Unlike the Lennon sycophants and the usual suspects on the Left, I'm not looking for deep Philosophical meaning in Hoofers, Songsters and Musicians who aren't exactly the epitome of thought.

I just like to be entertained.

For philosophy I'll look elsewhere.

Like George F. Will.

Of ALL the Beetle tunes, I liked (along with other light ones) the two mentioned.

Also, another I heard an instrumental version of last night on Sirius Escape.

Penny Lane.

Pompano - 12-9-2013 at 11:20 AM

I have a question. When did John Lennon leave the Beattles? That period in time was so full of music & events that keeping track of it all was difficult....and a little cloudy today.

Skipjack Joe - 12-9-2013 at 11:36 AM

Quote:

Well, people once dreamed about governing themselves without a king to make their lives miserable. Look what happened.

No much happened. There is still social inequality. Now it is on account of wealth and then it was due to blood lines. The hierarchy remains.

elgatoloco - 12-9-2013 at 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
I have a question. When did John Lennon leave the Beattles? That period in time was so full of music & events that keeping track of it all was difficult....and a little cloudy today.

September 1969

Pompano - 12-9-2013 at 11:41 AM

Thanks elgatoloco...1969. Lots of things happening then....loud things. I recall a few that caused my tinnitus. (hearing loss)

Edit to add:

1969? Anybody remember Zip to Zap? ...a music event before Woodstock!

[Edited on 12-9-2013 by Pompano]

Hook - 12-9-2013 at 11:45 AM

Wikipedia covers that pretty well, Pompano. I was just reading it last night.

During the period occupying the recording of the White Album, Let it Be and Abbey Road, John, George and Ringo had a period where they either said they were leaving the Beatles (John) or walked out of recording sessions (George and Ringo). The Let it Be sessions were filled with acrimony between all of them and continued into the recording of Abbey Road. John told the others he was leaving but agreed to delay the announcement until after Abbey Road was released.

Taken from Wikipedia:

The primary recording sessions for Abbey Road began on 2 July.[223] Lennon, who rejected Martin's proposed format of a "continuously moving piece of music", wanted his and McCartney's songs to occupy separate sides of the album.[224] The eventual format, with individually composed songs on the first side and the second consisting largely of a medley, was McCartney's suggested compromise.[224] On 4 July, the first solo single by a Beatle was released: Lennon's "Give Peace a Chance", credited to the Plastic Ono Band. The completion and mixing of "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" on 20 August 1969 was the last occasion on which all four Beatles were together in the same studio.[225] Lennon announced his departure to the rest of the group on 20 September, but agreed to withhold a public announcement to avoid undermining sales of the forthcoming album.[226]

Released six days after Lennon's declaration, Abbey Road sold four million copies within three months and topped the UK charts for a total of seventeen weeks.[227] Its second track, the ballad "Something", was issued as a single—the only Harrison composition ever to appear as a Beatles A-side.[228] Abbey Road received mixed reviews, although the medley met with general acclaim.[227] Unterberger considers it "a fitting swan song for the group", containing "some of the greatest harmonies to be heard on any rock record".[229] MacDonald calls it "erratic and often hollow", despite the "semblance of unity and coherence" offered by the medley.[230] Martin singled it out as his personal favourite of all the band's albums; Lennon said it was "competent" but had "no life in it". Recording engineer Emerick noted that the replacement of the studio's valve mixing console with a transistorized one yielded a less punchy sound, leaving the group frustrated at the thinner tone and lack of impact and contributing to its "kinder, gentler" feel relative to their previous albums.[231]

For the still unfinished Get Back album, one last song, Harrison's "I Me Mine", was recorded on 3 January 1970. Lennon, in Denmark at the time, did not participate.[232] In March, rejecting the work Johns had done on the project, now retitled Let It Be, Klein gave the session tapes to American producer Phil Spector, who had recently produced Lennon's solo single "Instant Karma!"[233] In addition to remixing the material, Spector edited, spliced and overdubbed several of the recordings that had been intended as "live". McCartney was unhappy with the producer's approach and particularly dissatisfied with the lavish orchestration on "The Long and Winding Road", which involved a fourteen-voice choir and thirty-six-piece instrumental ensemble.[234] McCartney's demands that the alterations to the song be reverted were ignored,[235] and he publicly announced his departure from the band on 10 April 1970, a week before the release of his first, self-titled solo album.[234][236]

So, it depends on which event you choose to point to; his private announcement of quitting, his last time in the recording studio with the other three, his releasing of his own single or the public announcement by Paul that effectively ended the Beatles.

[Edited on 12-9-2013 by Hook]

Pompano - 12-9-2013 at 11:59 AM

On Wikipedia....an internet resource for most everything under the sun. Probably the real stuff about Lennon and the Beattles, but I can't say I believe everything written on that site...something like Trip Advisor for researching upcoming travels. You often get a prejudiced opinion which is nothing like the actual place or event.

At any rate...I liked most of the music from Lennon that I could hear and that's good enough. Like anyone, his personal life seems to have had some hills and valleys.

elgatoloco - 12-9-2013 at 12:11 PM

Quote:
Thanks elgatoloco...1969. Lots of things happening then....loud things. I recall a few that caused my tinnitus. (hearing loss)

I was 11. :saint: My two older sisters would play the Beatles incessantly to the point that I developed an aversion to it. My oldest sister saw them play at Dodger Stadium. In my early twenties I re-discovered their music. Lots of good listening.

tripledigitken - 12-9-2013 at 01:11 PM

plain and simple.............It was Yoko's fault!

Quote:
Wikipedia covers that pretty well, Pompano. I was just reading it last night.

During the period occupying the recording of the White Album, Let it Be and Abbey Road, John, George and Ringo had a period where they either said they were leaving the Beatles (John) or walked out of recording sessions (George and Ringo). The Let it Be sessions were filled with acrimony between all of them and continued into the recording of Abbey Road. John told the others he was leaving but agreed to delay the announcement until after Abbey Road was released.

Taken from Wikipedia:

The primary recording sessions for Abbey Road began on 2 July.[223] Lennon, who rejected Martin's proposed format of a "continuously moving piece of music", wanted his and McCartney's songs to occupy separate sides of the album.[224] The eventual format, with individually composed songs on the first side and the second consisting largely of a medley, was McCartney's suggested compromise.[224] On 4 July, the first solo single by a Beatle was released: Lennon's "Give Peace a Chance", credited to the Plastic Ono Band. The completion and mixing of "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" on 20 August 1969 was the last occasion on which all four Beatles were together in the same studio.[225] Lennon announced his departure to the rest of the group on 20 September, but agreed to withhold a public announcement to avoid undermining sales of the forthcoming album.[226]

Released six days after Lennon's declaration, Abbey Road sold four million copies within three months and topped the UK charts for a total of seventeen weeks.[227] Its second track, the ballad "Something", was issued as a single—the only Harrison composition ever to appear as a Beatles A-side.[228] Abbey Road received mixed reviews, although the medley met with general acclaim.[227] Unterberger considers it "a fitting swan song for the group", containing "some of the greatest harmonies to be heard on any rock record".[229] MacDonald calls it "erratic and often hollow", despite the "semblance of unity and coherence" offered by the medley.[230] Martin singled it out as his personal favourite of all the band's albums; Lennon said it was "competent" but had "no life in it". Recording engineer Emerick noted that the replacement of the studio's valve mixing console with a transistorized one yielded a less punchy sound, leaving the group frustrated at the thinner tone and lack of impact and contributing to its "kinder, gentler" feel relative to their previous albums.[231]

For the still unfinished Get Back album, one last song, Harrison's "I Me Mine", was recorded on 3 January 1970. Lennon, in Denmark at the time, did not participate.[232] In March, rejecting the work Johns had done on the project, now retitled Let It Be, Klein gave the session tapes to American producer Phil Spector, who had recently produced Lennon's solo single "Instant Karma!"[233] In addition to remixing the material, Spector edited, spliced and overdubbed several of the recordings that had been intended as "live". McCartney was unhappy with the producer's approach and particularly dissatisfied with the lavish orchestration on "The Long and Winding Road", which involved a fourteen-voice choir and thirty-six-piece instrumental ensemble.[234] McCartney's demands that the alterations to the song be reverted were ignored,[235] and he publicly announced his departure from the band on 10 April 1970, a week before the release of his first, self-titled solo album.[234][236]

So, it depends on which event you choose to point to; his private announcement of quitting, his last time in the recording studio with the other three, his releasing of his own single or the public announcement by Paul that effectively ended the Beatles.

[Edited on 12-9-2013 by Hook]

Hook - 12-9-2013 at 02:30 PM

Ah, a conspiracy theorist!

I used to think that but I now chalk it up to four guys who came of age under the most intense scrutiny and adoration, maybe in the history of the modern era. Sinatra only had to deal with Sinatra, Elvis only with Elvis. They had to make four personalities work, plus the pressure of their significant others. After they no longer needed to stay together for money, there was less incentive to deal with personalities that had certainly been affected by drugs and alcohol.

Yoko may have goaded John into being the first to express a desire to leave, but it was inevitable, after how poorly they were all getting along. Nothing lasts forever, except, I guess, the Rolling Stones. But they have undergone numerous changes and always used lots of studio musicians as well.

Some say it was the Beatles not chosing Linda Eastman's relative to be their new manager that was the final straw. Paul had to live with that.

One Look at Yoko ..................

MrBillM - 12-9-2013 at 02:44 PM

Is enough to make a convincing argument that Lennon's Brain was fried from those drugs.

Pompano - 12-9-2013 at 02:48 PM

Being a larger than life figure who has been almost canonized, John Lennon was...and still is...a big target. Like so many idols, he is doomed to be overrated...no way not to be, given his success and fame. All over the world adoring fans model their lives and beliefs after the Lennon icon, and they really, really shouldn’t.

As to the Beattles breakup, this is what I just read after a 'search'...and it's 'just' what I read, not meaning that it is gospel.

"Contrary to later tales of a spontaneous break and/or the decision by Paul McCartney to leave the band, it was John Lennon who destroyed the Beatles. Certainly, all was not well with the band during the final years of the ‘60s, but it was Lennon and Lennon alone who brought down the axe, announcing at an otherwise routine meeting that he was leaving the group. It was kept under wraps for some time, but no one was under any illusions about the ability of the group to go on without him. Essentially, Lennon’s departure made the death of the Beatles inevitable; it just took a year or so for the obituary to be written."

To conclude, I can tell you that I get this from reading a few other 'facts' about the event:

That you can never believe what is written...only what you see.

Believe what you SEE ................

MrBillM - 12-9-2013 at 03:07 PM

And one look at Yoko ......................

A picture IS worth a thousand words.

Lee - 12-9-2013 at 03:35 PM

John created ''Double Fantasy'', his last album, with the help of Yoko. If the album reflects anything, it is the happiness and creativity he found with her. Personally, I think it's a great album.

In the end, John loved Yoko. That's all that really matters.

Skipjack Joe - 12-9-2013 at 03:40 PM

I had read somewhere that it was the trip to India that spelled the beginning of the end for the group. And that trip was large Harrison's idea. Nothing was quite the same after they returned.

It's amazing to me how they could produce such great music under those contentious conditions. Abbey Road is arguably their best album.

[Edited on 12-9-2013 by Skipjack Joe]

Hook - 12-9-2013 at 03:47 PM

Roger, if you cant trust ANYTHING you read, then I guess you will have to go to the next best thing.

Gotta Peso!!! :lol:

El Jefe - 12-9-2013 at 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
Is enough to make a convincing argument that Lennon's Brain was fried from those drugs.

I find absolutely nothing wrong with the way Yoko Ono looks.

Now Bill on the other hand, you must be extremely handsome and surrounded by beautiful people all the time. But to quote a song somebody wrote,
One thing you can't hide
Is when you're crippled inside

Pompano - 12-9-2013 at 03:53 PM

I don't know why, but I recall an album“Sometime in New York City”. Maybe because I was in the area. I doubt it became popular, but then I never followed it. Just a ghost of a memory these days.

Ken Bondy - 12-9-2013 at 03:54 PM

"....imagine no religion...."

One of his greatest lines.

Skipjack Joe - 12-9-2013 at 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Bondy

You couldn't resist, could you?

Pompano - 12-9-2013 at 03:58 PM

Quote:
Roger, if you cant trust ANYTHING you read, then I guess you will have to go to the next best thing.

Gotta Peso!!! :lol:

Paul, after listening to a bunch of politicians spouting their garbage....I look forward to the honest b.s. from GottaPeso.

At least with him, you get some free entertainment.

As for getting any accuracy in writing...I just found out my birth certificate has a misspelling. :yes:

tripledigitken - 12-9-2013 at 04:01 PM

To those posting in this thread, during the 60's and 70's, were the Beatles at the top of your "play list"?

Pompano - 12-9-2013 at 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Bondy

You couldn't resist, could you?

Me neither.

The man who sang “imagine no religion” was obsessed with every spiritual and New Age fad that came his way, including Hindu meditation, the I-Ching, and astrology of all kinds....

...or so I read. :rolleyes:

..and now I go to get this computer repaired. It's starting to type some stupid stuff.

[Edited on 12-9-2013 by Pompano]

Skipjack Joe - 12-9-2013 at 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
To those posting in this thread, during the 60's and 70's, were the Beatles at the top of your "play list"?

They still are.

You can take a man out of the 60's but you can't take the 60's out of a man.

Pompano - 12-9-2013 at 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Quote:

They still are.

You can take a man out of the 60's but you can't take the 60's out of a man.

For sure on both counts. The 60-70's were The Beattles....

that and ...for some reason...insatiable hunger

banana split.jpg - 8kB

tripledigitken - 12-9-2013 at 04:37 PM

In looking at my playlist and bands from the 60's and 70's, not one Beatles song made the cut. Jimi Hendrix, Stones, Bob Dylan, Allman Bros., Eric Clapton. The harder edged tunes that were played on the FM stations were what we listened to.

No doubt of the impact they had and the quality of some of their best tunes.

Barry A. - 12-9-2013 at 05:26 PM

Quote:
In looking at my playlist and bands from the 60's and 70's, not one Beatles song made the cut. Jimi Hendrix, Stones, Bob Dylan, Allman Bros., Eric Clapton. The harder edged tunes that were played on the FM stations were what we listened to.

No doubt of the impact they had and the quality of some of their best tunes.

What?? No Frampton??? :lol:

Barry

Bajahowodd - 12-9-2013 at 05:55 PM

The Beatles were way overrated. Most of their early music was bubblegum, plain and simple. Later a couple of songs from Paul and maybe a few more from John, but, they just were not the second coming that so many folks seems to believe.

Barry A. - 12-9-2013 at 06:05 PM

Quote:
The Beatles were way overrated. Most of their early music was bubblegum, plain and simple. Later a couple of songs from Paul and maybe a few more from John, but, they just were not the second coming that so many folks seems to believe.

However, many of the actual melodies (without the words) will live forever------incredible melodies!!!

Barry

Lee - 12-9-2013 at 08:01 PM

Quote:

You weren't alive for Beatlemania, were you?

Paul, who represents The Beatles and Wings, still sells out his concerts. Guess people still love bubble gum songs.

Mania is for Maniacs

MrBillM - 12-9-2013 at 08:23 PM

Music is Pleasant Diversion and Entertainers are simply that.

Nothing more.

They aren't Saints.

Not even Perry Como.

Although he came close.

It's not as if they were really important.

Like Baseball Players.

As to Yoko, well .................

They say Beauty (or the Beast ?) is in the Eye of the Beholder.

In her defense, I saw her awhile back saying "Don't Frack Me" and she doesn't look a whole lot worse than she did back then.

vandenberg - 12-9-2013 at 08:35 PM

Whatever..we all have to take our age into the equation. I kind of like the Beatles, but never thought they were in the same league as an Ella, Louis, Anita, Carmen and the big bands, even if some of their songs where rather silly. To me, no comparison.
Probably just the old man talking.:biggrin:

Don't Ever Sell Silly Short

MrBillM - 12-9-2013 at 08:55 PM

In 1940 when Glenn Miller had a number of hits, including perhaps his greatest (In the Mood), he was out-grossed by Kay Kyser's Band.

Silly Sells.

[Edited on 12-10-2013 by MrBillM]

Skipjack Joe - 12-9-2013 at 09:58 PM

Just pretty melodies? I don't think so.

To my way of thinking the beatles were the most creative musicians of my generation. The diversity of their music is really amazing. The rolling stones, for example, were great. But they used the same formula, genre, over and over. That's true of all the musicians mentioned on this thread. The music of the Beatles after around 65 had incredible range, even the pieces on the same record. Truly amazing musicians for about 5 years.

Musicians often are not simply satisfied with their abilities. They want to make a real difference. And try to convey messages that must be said. That was Lennon's downfall. Perhaps it was his inner searching which was so fascinating in his music which became so boring when he found "the answer". The same happened to Tolstoy BTW. His best writing came earlier in life until he became enlightened and started to preach about the perfect man. His latter works were just polemics.

For lyrics: Paul Simon, Bob Dylan, and many others have much more to say .... and say it better.

Pompano - 12-9-2013 at 10:14 PM

The music of an era…. That’s what makes us remember the 60's & 70's so much...at least for me, anyway.

“Drove my Chevy to the levee, but the levee was dry….”

For many of us it was some major life events for our young minds....protests, drafts, an ugly war, confused homecomings, then working to create your world... all made when some particular music and group was playing... and because of those tense times the events…with it’s music…were etched forever into your memory.

Sights, smells, and sounds. Very poignant for a few of us.

Sights. "I fell into a burning ring of fire" Johnny Cash.... always reminds me of being caught in a forest fire on Hwy 12, Montana, while on a motorcycle trip from ND to Baja. Very exciting...and lots of sparks.

Smells. Hah! Whenever I smell burning leaves in the fall, I still smile at the memories of the 60's and try to hum a little tune.

Sounds. A locomotive whistle reminds me of younger days when I got the cultivator stuck on those damn railroad tracks..

* edit to elaborate and correct spelling levy-levee..thanks Jim...I must have been thinking of 'to levy taxes'..as happens so often these days. ;)

[Edited on 12-10-2013 by Pompano]

mulegejim - 12-10-2013 at 12:20 AM

Quote:
The music of an era…. That’s what makes us remember the 60's & 70's so much...at least for me, anyway.

“Drove my Chevy to the levy, but the levy was dry….”

For many of us it was some major life events for our young minds....protests, drafts, an ugly war, confused homecomings, then working to create your world... all made when some particular music and group was playing... and because of those tense times the events…with it’s music…were etched forever into your memory.

Sights, smells, and sounds. Very poignant for a few of us.

Hah! Whenever I smell burning leaves in the fall, I still smile at the memories and try to hum a little tune.

One of my favorite songs....tells a real story of a generation. I believe it should be "drove my Chevy to the levee" however. I believe the levee referred to is actually a bar. Great lyrics to try to decipher.

vgabndo - 12-10-2013 at 01:28 AM

I was a college aged disc jockey on colorful KBLU radio in Yuma Arizona working 6 hour board shifts on weekends doing an inflexible Top 40 play list. For some weeks, We Can Work it Out, and Day Tripper were #1 and #2 on the charts. 24 times a shift. It wasn't long before the Beatles weren't my favorites!:lol:

As for not being the second coming, that'll be a long wait, but I think the fact that you can't be stuck in a background music environment for very long before hearing a Beatles tune, Mantavani style, says a great deal about their impact on music history.

Paul Simon the Sage

MrBillM - 12-10-2013 at 07:07 AM

"If you took all the girls I knew when I was Single and put them all together for one night, they could never match my sweet imagination, everything looks worse in Black and White"

Hunting in the Bush, so to speak.

Off for a Hunt.

But not Bush.

Hook - 12-10-2013 at 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Whatever..we all have to take our age into the equation. I kind of like the Beatles, but never thought they were in the same league as an Ella, Louis, Anita, Carmen and the big bands, even if some of their songs where rather silly. To me, no comparison.
Probably just the old man talking.:biggrin:

I love the Beatles music...........but, to me, the greatest period in popular music was the swing era, too. The greatest period of melodies and lyrics. Lots of that was bubble gum, as well.

But in my time and in my opinion, the only popular artists that came close (and maybe surpassed) Lennon/McCartney in melody and lyric are Stevie Wonder and Sting. I really feel Sting is the greatest songwriter since the 80s.

Dylan was a great lyricist but Dylan needed to learn economy in words. I thought he forced a lot of lyrics for rhyme's sake. But when he was spare, few could compare. He did write the greatest single song of the rock era, IMO.

The artists that still make my "60-70s-80s era" rock playlist, consistently, are Sting, Steely Dan, Little Feat, Bonnie Raitt, the Stones (especially Exile and Sticky Fingers), the Beatles, Tom Petty, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, lots of other Motown, Dire Straits, Jimi, early Mac, JJ Cale.

But 90% of the music I listen to is sat radio; I dont listen to that much of my recorded music. On XM, I switch from the 40s to Willie's Roadhouse (love 50s-60s country, too, so I am immune to sappiness/bubble gum!) to The Loft for a dose of contemporary music. I listen to The Loft (though not much to Idiot's Delight) probably 50% of my day. Discovering The Loft gave me renewed interest in contemporary "rock". Great channel; you will hear swing era, GOOD classic rock, post-punk rock and contemporary rock. Even show tunes.

Bajahowodd - 12-10-2013 at 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Quote:

You weren't alive for Beatlemania, were you?

Paul, who represents The Beatles and Wings, still sells out his concerts. Guess people still love bubble gum songs.

I graduated from High School in 1964, so, I guess I could say I was around at that time.

Just saying that their early music was pure bubblegum. I imagine that all their subsequent success was predicated on the fame and riches they accumulated from junk music.

Later music from John was much deeper and meaningful than anything Paul ever did.

Stickers - 12-10-2013 at 06:01 PM

Driving home last night they played John Lennon's classic song:

Happy Xmas (War Is Over) done by Sarah McLachlan.

A truly great song that is now a standard and will live on forever.

Check out her version on iTunes you will love it.

Rick

I Believe You Mean Mantovani

Bajahowodd - 12-10-2013 at 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
I was a college aged disc jockey on colorful KBLU radio in Yuma Arizona working 6 hour board shifts on weekends doing an inflexible Top 40 play list. For some weeks, We Can Work it Out, and Day Tripper were #1 and #2 on the charts. 24 times a shift. It wasn't long before the Beatles weren't my favorites!:lol:

As for not being the second coming, that'll be a long wait, but I think the fact that you can't be stuck in a background music environment for very long before hearing a Beatles tune, Mantavani style, says a great deal about their impact on music history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantovani

Mr Bill's all time fave.

Mantovani one of Many .......

MrBillM - 12-10-2013 at 06:23 PM

OK, but no favorite of mine.

Perry Como on the other hand ...............

It doesn't get any better than "Round and Round".

BTW, for something as fine as anything Lennon ever said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-963CTDLy68

Martyman - 12-11-2013 at 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
John created ''Double Fantasy'', his last album, with the help of Yoko. If the album reflects anything, it is the happiness and creativity he found with her. Personally, I think it's a great album.

In the end, John loved Yoko. That's all that really matters.

I love that album too. I must admit that I skip all the Yoko songs.

willardguy - 12-11-2013 at 12:57 PM

the other side of the coin.

http://listverse.com/2012/05/12/top-10-unpleasant-facts-abou...

vgabndo - 12-11-2013 at 02:26 PM

Willard, I found this to illustrate how your post made me feel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQMFZyMzB6A

Thanks for the balance.:?:

Imagine there's no Lennon ..............

MrBillM - 12-11-2013 at 04:38 PM

It's easy if you try.

He was just another music-making Guy.

It's not as if his demise occasioned a dearth of Doper-Smoker tunes.

willardguy - 12-11-2013 at 05:16 PM

john DID have a little coke problem!

Lee - 12-11-2013 at 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy

''….he claimed that he had been spending time baking bread and being a stay-at-home dad; in fact, he had been living in a drug-induced haze most of the time.''

Define ''drug-induced haze?''

Admittedly, he was flawed. So what? He lived in the public eye. He was still a creative genius along with Paul. He didn't deserve to be shot down like a dog.

I was 17 when The Beatles broke in '64. My 2 year younger and 2 year older sisters didn't get it.

Magical Mystery Tour. Revolver. Abbey Road. White Album? Until The Beach Boys ''Pet Sounds,'' nothing was happening. Just saying.

willardguy - 12-11-2013 at 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Quote:

''….he claimed that he had been spending time baking bread and being a stay-at-home dad; in fact, he had been living in a drug-induced haze most of the time.''

Define ''drug-induced haze?''

Admittedly, he was flawed. So what? He lived in the public eye. He was still a creative genius along with Paul. He didn't deserve to be shot down like a dog.

I was 17 when The Beatles broke in '64. My 2 year younger and 2 year older sisters didn't get it.

Magical Mystery Tour. Revolver. Abbey Road. White Album? Until The Beach Boys ''Pet Sounds,'' nothing was happening. Just saying.
are you asking ME to define "drug induced haze"? I didnt write that! but I suggest you read keith richards fine book "life" where he talks about johns drug use and the condition he would leave in after a session with keith (usually flat on his back). as hard as john would try he just couldnt hang with the master!

Lee - 12-11-2013 at 05:57 PM

Quote:
...as hard as john would try he just couldnt hang with the master!

Read most of it. Intriguing. Keith defines mastery. What a lucky generation I grew up in.

willardguy - 12-11-2013 at 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Quote:
...as hard as john would try he just couldnt hang with the master!

Read most of it. Intriguing. Keith defines mastery. What a lucky generation I grew up in.
how true Lee! and cant help taking solace in the fact that one can live that life and still be going strong at 70! tiger blood? :lol:

tripledigitken - 12-11-2013 at 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee

Nothing was happening except the Beatles and the Beach Boys?

Really???

Some of the best music of a generation was produced in the late 60’s including the Beatles. Just a few monumental albums....

Highway 61 Revisited- Bob Dylan
Are You Experienced- Jimi Hendrix
Astral Weeks- Van Morrison
Doors- The Doors
Beggars Banquet- The Rolling Stones
The Band- The Band
Led Zeppelin II- Led Zeppelin
Tommy- The Who
Cheap Thrills- Janis Joplin
Sounds of Silence- Simon and Garfunkel
Disraeli Gears- Cream
Sweethearts of the Rodeo- The Byrds

Pompano - 12-11-2013 at 06:48 PM

I just asked the internet genie....

The "500 Greatest Songs of All Time" was the cover story of a special issue of Rolling Stone; issue number 963, published December 9, 2004—a year after the magazine published its list of the "500 Greatest Albums of All Time". The 500 songs were ranked by a point system based on the voting input of 172 musicians, critics, music-industry personnel, and a hearing-impaired goose-hunter from North Dakota. The top 10 songs from the list are included here—they are:

1."Like a Rolling Stone" Bob Dylan
2 "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" The Rolling Stones
3 "Imagine" John Lennon
4 "What's Going On" Marvin Gaye
5 "Respect" Aretha Franklin
6 "Good Vibrations" The Beach Boys
7 "Johnny B. Goode" Chuck Berry
8 "Hey Jude" The Beatles
9 "Smells Like Teen Spirit" Nirvana
10 "What'd I Say" Ray Charles

How about that, I actually agree with most of their pics...
...but think that "Don't Cry for me, Argentina" should have made the pick?

Lee - 12-11-2013 at 10:16 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee

Really???

Some of the best music of a generation was produced in the late 60’s including the Beatles. Just a few monumental albums....

Doors- The Doors
The Band- The Band
Tommy- The Who
Disraeli Gears- Cream

All great albums. Monumental, yes. Call me biased. Nothing compared to The Beatles. Rolling Stone rated top 500 albums of all times. The Beatles had 4 albums in the top 10. Pet Sounds #2.

Sgt. Pepper
Pet Sounds
Revolver
Highway 61
Rubber Soul
What's Going On (Marvin Gaye)
Exile on Main St. (Stones)
London Calling (Clash)
Blonde on Blonde (Dylan)
White Album

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/500-greatest-albums-...

Skipjack Joe - 12-12-2013 at 12:28 AM

Lennon's best, to my way of thinking.

vgabndo - 12-12-2013 at 01:14 AM

Here come old flat top
He come groovin' up slowly
He got joo joo eyeballs
He one holy rollers
He got hair down to his knee
Got to be a joker
He just do what he please

He wear no shoeshine
He got toe jam football
He got monkey finger
He shoot Coca Cola
He say I know you, you know me
One thing I can tell you is
You got to be free
Come together, right now
Over me

He bad production
He got walrus gumboot
He got Ono sideboard
He one spinal cracker
He got feet down below his knees
Hold you in his armchair
You can feel his disease
Come together, right now
Over me

He roller coaster
He got early warning
He got muddy water
He one Mojo filter
He say one and one and one is three
Got to be good looking
Cause he's so hard to see
Come together right now
Over me

Come together, yeah
Come together, yeah
Come together, yeah
Come together, yeah
Come together, yeah
Come together, yeah
Come together, yeah
Come together, yeah
Come together, yeah

Observed through the proper window pane, this requires no translation at all.:lol:

tripledigitken - 12-12-2013 at 03:28 AM

Lee,

I only took exception to the comment that "nothing was happening" except the Beatles and the BB's.

Ken

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee

Really???

Doors- The Doors
The Band- The Band
Tommy- The Who
Disraeli Gears- Cream

All great albums. Monumental, yes. Call me biased. Nothing compared to The Beatles. Rolling Stone rated top 500 albums of all times. The Beatles had 4 albums in the top 10. Pet Sounds #2.

Sgt. Pepper
Pet Sounds
Revolver
Highway 61
Rubber Soul
What's Going On (Marvin Gaye)
Exile on Main St. (Stones)
London Calling (Clash)
Blonde on Blonde (Dylan)
White Album

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/500-greatest-albums-...

[Edited on 12-12-2013 by tripledigitken]

Hook - 12-12-2013 at 06:28 AM

I've never found Pet Sounds to be that easy of an album to listen to. I can see its influence, though, especially in the unusual arrangements for a rock album. I do love the "hits" from that album; Sloop John B, Wouldn't It Be Nice and God Only Knows. I think Good Vibrations was also recorded during the Pet Sounds sessions but was released as a single and wasnt on the album. But the rest feels like moody Brian Wilson noodling, at times. Not very melodic. At least everything on Sgt. Peppers is melodic. I'm big on melody, cant you tell.

And the Rolling Stone lists are often unfathomable. Especially their 100 greatest debut albums, where their criteria of docking points from an album if the artist went on to greater albums, afterwards, is mystifying. A great album is DQed because an artist became even better? You have to see that list to believe it. No Cars, no Ricki Lee Jones, no Dire Straits, comes to mind. But plenty of hip-hop/rap, grunge and punk. Clearly, the RS editors wanted to be considered "hip" and "now", especially since the publication's better days are behind them and they are struggling to remain relevant.

Flawed Song-and-Dance Man

MrBillM - 12-12-2013 at 09:10 AM

So What ?

Entertainers are often flawed. And very plentiful. Their weaknesses and excesses are unimportant because, essentially, their contributions or influence outside their trade is unimportant.

It is the foolish who try to make Saints or Sages out of them.

Other than Perry Como, of course.

[Edited on 12-12-2013 by MrBillM]

Barry A. - 12-12-2013 at 09:37 AM

Quote:
So What ?

Entertainers are often flawed. And very plentiful. Their weaknesses and excesses are unimportant because, essentially, their contributions or influence outside their trade is unimportant.

[Edited on 12-12-2013 by MrBillM]

So true!!! Barbara "Babs" Striesand (sp?) a good example------devine voice (best of the century, IMO) but very flawed in her personal beliefs, but so what? Her talent is her contribution.

I am a KINGSTON TRIO guy, the original 3, that is. And a SINATRA fan also.

Barry

Skipjack Joe - 12-12-2013 at 09:40 AM

Quote:
So What ?

.... and Madonna. How could she be, with a name like that.

Pompano - 12-12-2013 at 10:01 AM

Poetry, drama, painting, dance, MUSIC. The energy on this thread proves that art is indeed powerful.. (and can even be dangerous.) Music in particular can stir up our emotions to point of confrontations. Plato warns us of the good and bad influences of music.

Lennon and the others discussed here? I'd say we can thank History for music of the 60's & 70's. (with drugs and war as a close second, of course.)

I'm thinking of beating rocks together, the first monkey to beat a hollow tree with a stick, or the first aborigine to whirl a Bullroarer in Australia. The oldest bone flute was made from a vulture's wing and is dated to 30,000BC.

We now have acid rock. See what happened?

Skipjack Joe - 12-12-2013 at 10:43 AM

Don't know what happened. I thought the early sound was quite good. I like to imagine baja's early native americans playing this instrument in that cave I once showed here.

[Edited on 12-12-2013 by Skipjack Joe]

vandenberg - 12-12-2013 at 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Barbara "Babs" Streisand a good example------devine voice (best of the century, IMO) but very flawed in her personal beliefs, but so what? Her talent is her contribution.

Barry

Barry,

you're allowed five. :biggrin::biggrin:

Skipjack Joe - 12-12-2013 at 03:20 PM

Kingston Trio - Si. Trini Lopez - No.

vgabndo - 12-12-2013 at 04:07 PM

The most important thing to remember about Perry Como was that he is JUST as exciting dead as he ever was alive. This is no secret.

http://www.squeegi.com/video.php?v=967b62ec-eaea-11e0-8112-0...

Barry A. - 12-12-2013 at 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Barbara "Babs" Streisand a good example------devine voice (best of the century, IMO) but very flawed in her personal beliefs, but so what? Her talent is her contribution.

Barry

Barry,

you're allowed five. :biggrin::biggrin:

Perhaps, but my memory is too shot to just come up with the other 2 off the top of my head.. :rolleyes:

I loved the EAGLES, and somebody mentioned Madonna (she is amazing). And, second to Babs for tone-control has GOT to be Emma Lou Harris for her first 25 years----getting a little rusty now, but still good well into her '60's. She still gives me tingles in my body when I hear certain songs of her's (maybe that is because she is beautiful to watch, too).

Then there is Andrea Bocelli-------tough to beat HIM.

For me it is ALL about the tonal-quality as I can seldom make out what they are saying. :lol:

Barry

Lee - 12-12-2013 at 05:14 PM

Quote:
Lee,

I only took exception to the comment that "nothing was happening" except the Beatles and the BB's.

OK poor choice of words. Let's not forget Traffic, Jeff Beck, Dave Mason, Ginger Baker, Steve Winwood, Clapton, Blind Faith, Airplane, Big Brother & The Holding Company, The Dead, Moby Grape, Charlatans, Steve Miller, Boz, Quicksilver, Santana, Sly and Janis. Steward Brand, Chet Helms, Big Daddy Tom Donahue, Haight before the hippies, Castro St. before the gays. Man those were the days.

vgabndo - 12-12-2013 at 06:26 PM

Jeez Lee, how about Grant Street before Ferlinghetti. It really hasn't been the same since Emperor Norton died!

Yes I do remember sitting in a chicken wire cage at the Fox and the Hound listening to jazz before I could buy a drink. The summer of love and the transition of the HA may not have been the best example of progress, but it was the best we could do, and it was history making. If this was a bad thing, how much better a thing was if for Nixon and Kissinger to swear on their Bibles that we weren't in Laos, when we now know they were in process of dropping more bombs on that country than fell on all of Europe for all of WWII. Others Americans were doing that while we were letting our hair grow. I know where I heap the shame. IMAGINE.:lol:

BigOly - 12-12-2013 at 06:39 PM

Joni Mitchell----"They paved Paradise" sorry!

[Edited on 12-13-2013 by BigOly]

tripledigitken - 12-12-2013 at 06:39 PM

Vag,

That added a lot to this thread.

:?:

[Edited on 12-13-2013 by tripledigitken]

vgabndo - 12-12-2013 at 10:16 PM

My apologies to the guy who started the thread.:lol::lol::lol:

Lee sparked me. I don't think the hippies screwed-up the Haight Ashberry any worse than Nixon screwed-up Laos. Lennon was an anti-war icon, and although that wasn't what got him killed, I never seem to tire of comparing hippie transparency to Nixonian deceit. I never forgave Merle Haggard for "Okie from Muskogee" either!!!!:lol::lol::lol:

I'm sure glad politics isn't like that any more.:coolup:

Paving Paradise

MrBillM - 12-14-2013 at 01:02 PM

One thing about music are the memories often triggered by associating a song heard with a memorable event in life.

Although I'd heard the Joni Mitchell song many times before then, whenever I hear it now I remember sailing off St. John in the USVI looking at a hillside being carved up with new homes.

Along the same line (sort of), "Spirit in the Sky" will forever bring forth pleasant memories from the many Topless Bars we used to visit after work at North American Aviation in El Segundo.

THAT song was a favorite with the Dancers.

[Edited on 12-14-2013 by MrBillM]