BajaNomad

I may just import this to Baja

tripledigitken - 12-9-2013 at 01:00 PM

mi esposa surprised me with this from her trip to Costco in La Mesa today..........................

$22.99

DENNIS - 12-9-2013 at 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
mi esposa surprised me with this from her trip to Costco in La Mesa today..........................

Just add a straw and you're ready for a trip down HWY-1.
[save the bottle]

LancairDriver - 12-9-2013 at 02:39 PM

If your going through Mulege stop in at the Jungle and have a shot of this.(Louis XIII Cognac)

image.jpg - 34kB

This is why I like Pacifico.

Pompano - 12-9-2013 at 02:55 PM

Corona?

Some say it's a boring beer and have trouble staying awake.

DENNIS - 12-9-2013 at 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LancairDriver
If your going through Mulege stop in at the Jungle and have a shot of this.(Louis XIII Cognac)

WOW.......[isn't it Louie 14?] I worked in a bar in the mid-sixties that had this stuff, and it was fifty bucks a measured ounce then.
Must be YUMMY.

LancairDriver - 12-9-2013 at 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by LancairDriver

WOW.......[isn't it Louie 14?] I worked in a bar in the mid-sixties that had this stuff, and it was fifty bucks a measured ounce then.
Must be YUMMY.

A friends wife ordered a shot after dinner in Vegas recently and he got real sticker shock when the bill came. Shot was $250.

your Nobleza Blanca

Mulegena - 12-9-2013 at 05:12 PM

So Ken, how is it?

Quote:

$22.99

tripledigitken - 12-9-2013 at 05:21 PM

Have yet to open it, will get back to you.

CortezBlue - 12-9-2013 at 06:40 PM

I love how someone is willing to pay $20 plus bucks for a plata tequila that is probably no better than el Jimador for $8 at Calimax

tripledigitken - 12-9-2013 at 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CortezBlue
I love how someone is willing to pay $20 plus bucks for a plata tequila that is probably no better than el Jimador for $8 at Calimax

Have u done a blind test?

I think Cortez just threw me an insult....

[Edited on 12-10-2013 by tripledigitken]

CortezBlue - 12-9-2013 at 06:55 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Have u done a blind test?

How dare you make fun of my disability!

Sorry, I had to go there

Look, honestly, I can't stand plata as a sipping tequila, and if I did, I still would bet there are much better silver tequilas that would compete and win. Taxes, shipping etc,

Now, that being said I can easily go to the store and buy mexican tequila in Mexico. If you are land locked in the USA, then drink yourself silly with this stuff until you can buy the real stuff at a reasonable price

Dena - 12-9-2013 at 07:22 PM

OK, I'll bite...er, I mean sip....what do you consider the "real Stuff" ??

tripledigitken - 12-9-2013 at 07:24 PM

My ref. to import was obviously lost on you. I would bring it down south much like many bring wine south with them. Most premium tequilas are not widely available sob.

Because u don't like blanco the rest of us are idiots?

Dena - 12-9-2013 at 07:43 PM

Quote:
My ref. to import was obviously lost on you. I would bring it down south much like many bring wine south with them. Most premium tequilas are not widely available sob.

Nope, not at all....I was just genuinely interested in your opinion on what you considered the "real stuff"! Jeeze, seems like you could do with a shot or 2 right now:bounce:!???!

tripledigitken - 12-9-2013 at 07:48 PM

I was responding to cortez not your post. He also was the one mentioning the "real stuff" not me. Peace, love and fish tacos.

Ken

Quote:
Originally posted by Dena
Quote:

Nope, not at all....I was just genuinely interested in your opinion on what you considered the "real stuff"! Jeeze, seems like you could do with a shot or 2 right now:bounce:!???!

Dena - 12-9-2013 at 07:59 PM

OK, fine, then...I'm the one who needs a shot or two,
If only some one will tell me what the "Real Stuff" is!!

Pescador - 12-10-2013 at 08:45 AM

I really like Arenitas Gold which I used to be able to buy in Algodones and it was very reasonable. Now Saul has it in Mulege and he is usually sold out right away. It sells for 90 pesos a litre and we have done lots of blind taste tests and it sits right up there with the expensive stuff. It is bottled by Casa Don Roberto in Tequila and makes a really great margarita.

The best test, in my mind, is how it comes across when one has not seen the bottle beforehand. I have a good friend who is a real tequila snob and he thought I was putting him on with this brand and still did not believe me until he went to Saul's in Mulege and bought a sealed bottle.

DENNIS - 12-10-2013 at 08:59 AM

Quote:

Hard to explain, I suppose. Harder for me to understand too, since I don't care for Tequila outside a Margarita.

CortezBlue - 12-10-2013 at 10:20 AM

Quote:

No, I understand exactly what you meant. And, I never said that anyone was and Idiot. I do like plata, for margaritas, but most folks sip anejo or resposado.

But, the truth of the matter is, if you have access to Tequila in Mexico, you can get great tequilas for far less. Reason, Financial. NO TAXES, NO SHIPPING COSTS.

Wine is different. Great wines in Mexico, can be found, but not if you are into Italian or French or even Napa wines. If you do find them, you will pay a huge premium for the importation.

It seems like a pretty simple concept, but it is lost on some folks, I guess

CortezBlue - 12-10-2013 at 10:29 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Hard to explain, I suppose. Harder for me to understand too, since I don't care for Tequila outside a Margarita.

The Real Stuff, is a reference to buying Mexican made Tequila in Mexico. If you read up on this product, it is made by a gal in San Diego, who has a Papa in Jalisco.

My point is simple, you can get really great Tequila's in Mexico for far less pesos.

Again, if you are land locked in the USA, I agree, buy it from Costco and enjoy it. But if you find the NOM code on the bottle, you can find out who actually makes the tequila. You may find the Mfg makes the same tequila in a different bottle with a different name.

durrelllrobert - 12-10-2013 at 10:37 AM

Over Thanksgiving we did a blind test of premium vodkas at my daughters house with 8 different tasters. This was brought on by my son-in-laws statement that Costco's "French" vodka was the same as Grey Goose and my point was that there was absolutely no difference in taste between any two vodkas regardless of how many times they were distilled. So the contenders were Grey Goose, Costco "French", Absolute and MX Oso Negro as the control. Absolute and Costco each got one vote as best and, yep, Oso Negro got the other 6.

willardguy - 12-10-2013 at 10:40 AM

tax free tequila? I don't think so blue!

http://www.mexicomatters.net/businessmexico/11_tequilabusine...

tripledigitken - 12-10-2013 at 11:26 AM

Cortez,

Yes, I'm land locked and I only drink US made tequila.

:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

vandenberg - 12-10-2013 at 11:35 AM

Bob, Nice to know I drink the premium stuff, Oso Negro.

:biggrin::biggrin:

mulegemichael - 12-10-2013 at 11:36 AM

oso negro; a headache in a bottle!

DENNIS - 12-10-2013 at 12:18 PM

Quote:

The Real Stuff, is a reference to buying Mexican made Tequila in Mexico. If you read up on this product, it is made by a gal in San Diego, who has a Papa in Jalisco.

I thought the Tequila district in Jalisco had the name locked up, just as does the Cognac district in France.

CortezBlue - 12-10-2013 at 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
tax free tequila? I don't think so blue!

http://www.mexicomatters.net/businessmexico/11_tequilabusine...

If you buy any liquor in the USA it has a Tax Stamp over the top of the bottle. This is a HIGH tax that you have to pay for any liquor in the USA.

Unless Obama has further reach than I think, you only have to pay a Mexico tax not a HUGE USA Tax

This is an example and I am going to use El Jimador as a reference. NO, I am not saying El Jimador is better than XY or Z.

We pay $8 for El Jimador Plata for a 950ML bottle in San Felipe

a 750ml El Jimador Plata in USA (Bev Mo, etc.) is anywhere from $18.00 on sale to $28 full retail.

CortezBlue - 12-10-2013 at 01:54 PM

Quote:
Cortez,

Yes, I'm land locked and I only drink US made tequila.

:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

I don't thnk it is US made, I'm sure it is made in Jalisco,

If I am in the USA and I need to buy Tequila I usually buy the Kirkland brand at Costco. It seems to be great tasting and is one of the more reasonably prices tequilas.

This thread has gone out of control. My bottom line for tequila depends on what I use it for. For mixed drinks, I will use El Jimador plata/oro

But, when you start seeing these "Fancy bottled" tequilas with names Like Geroge Clooney and everyone else, it is very easy to track where it comes from by the NOM 4 digit number on the bottle. In Fact there is an app for that. Tequila Matchmaker.

Once you start doing some research you will find that you are paying for a pretty bottle, not the tequila on the inside.

Plus it is kind of fun to cross the name brands to a more generic tequila by the NOM number, it is a great way to mess with your prudish friends that think Patron is the best tequila because a guy that make shampoo makes the tequila.

:lol:

CortezBlue - 12-10-2013 at 01:58 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I thought the Tequila district in Jalisco had the name locked up, just as does the Cognac district in France.

As far as I know you correct. However, I did hear, but have not verified it, that Paul Mitchel pays to ship his Agave juice up to Houston and it is manufactured in Houston. I think the label states, made is 100% blue agave from Mexico.

Again, I just heard this and not sure if it is a fact. But, I will tell you, it is hard to find Patron any where in Mexico, except for higher end hotels and restaurants.

Skipjack Joe - 12-10-2013 at 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
oso negro; a headache in a bottle!

Around here oso negro is a diner.

CortezBlue - 12-10-2013 at 03:34 PM

Up in Canada it's a Black Bear, Ay

Tbone - 12-10-2013 at 03:55 PM

I haven't seen one of the red (or any other color) tax stamps on booze bottles for years. I'm not saying booze isn't taxed, just haven't seen the stamps.

elgatoloco - 12-10-2013 at 04:41 PM

I have tasted the Nobleza. Sipped it and used it for bloody maria and margarita. IMEO it is a very nice value and worthy of a spot in my bar. Plus the bottle looks great.

The family has been producing award winning Blue Weber Agave plants for five generations. The Blanco is double distilled and actually has a hint of sweet when you sip.

http://www.tequila.net/advanced-tequila-search/tag/tnom/1414...

El Jimador actually makes two Blancos. One that is 100% Agave and double distilled and one that's neither. I am thinking that's the $8.00 one?

Lots of tequilas out there and something for every taste. I do know that Cazadores is one of the worst tasting tequilas ever made but many profess a deep appreciation for its subtle, smoky, sweat, tobacco, donkey fart flavors, but I digress.

:lol:

:saint:

CortezBlue - 12-10-2013 at 06:58 PM

If you look at the NOM number 1414, this tequilaria manufacturer's for several different companies. So now cross the tequilas to one of the others and you will probably find an equivalent for less pesos

[Edited on 12-11-2013 by CortezBlue]

Sweetwater - 12-10-2013 at 09:47 PM

WHERE do you find your best Mexican tequila?

I remember this tequila

which I believe I purchased here

It seems I was in Ciudad Constitucion or thereabouts....:cool:

CortezBlue - 12-12-2013 at 10:34 AM

Looks just like the San Felipe store that just opened

durrelllrobert - 12-12-2013 at 04:43 PM

Quote:
Up in Canada it's a Black Bear, Ay
Yea, and sold as an expensive premium import (around $38/ liter)

Bajahowodd - 12-12-2013 at 06:01 PM

Most people are unaware of this, but due to both Federal and State law, anyone who does not have a Costco membership is free to buy spirits there. You just need to go to the hospitality desk and get a free pass. Same goes for the pharmacy, but since you check out at the pharmacy, you don't have to get a pass at the hospitality desk.

Bajajorge - 12-13-2013 at 09:46 AM

Quote:

And the El Jimador is Repasado, not blanca from Calimax, just bought one there a couple of days ago.

Bajahowodd - 12-15-2013 at 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
Over Thanksgiving we did a blind test of premium vodkas at my daughters house with 8 different tasters. This was brought on by my son-in-laws statement that Costco's "French" vodka was the same as Grey Goose and my point was that there was absolutely no difference in taste between any two vodkas regardless of how many times they were distilled. So the contenders were Grey Goose, Costco "French", Absolute and MX Oso Negro as the control. Absolute and Costco each got one vote as best and, yep, Oso Negro got the other 6.

A taste test of vodka is like a taste test of air. More highly distilled vodkas will go down more smoothly. But because of its nature, it does not have a taste.

CortezBlue - 12-16-2013 at 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajajorge
Quote:

And the El Jimador is Repasado, not blanca from Calimax, just bought one there a couple of days ago.

Jorge

Sorry, I am not understanding your post.

El Jefe - 12-16-2013 at 03:41 PM

I've been using El Capricho Elixir de Agave from the Cabo Costco in margaritas for some time and never had a complaint. It is not called tequila but for all practical purposes, is the same stuff. I have friends that serve it in their restaurant as their house tequila when they are giving away free shots.

It really is pretty good and costs less than 100 pesos per liter.

My mix is 1 part Capricho, 1 part Controy, 1/3 part lime juice over ice and shake.

Now sipping is another story. I kinda like that smokey flavor of a good Anjeo on the rocks or simply a reposado neat. Ah, life is good......