BajaNomad

Convoy ? Passenger?

Fortmac - 12-9-2013 at 01:28 PM

Leaving Northern Canada this week(Dec 12) with my truck and dirtbike. Hope to hit the Tijiuana crossing in 3-4 days; then straight to my condo in San Jose Del Cabo.

Just so nobody judges me, I am going quickly through so I can get to my second home and meet my wife who is flying down.

Never did the crossing before, would gladly join a convoy for any portion or take an experienced passenger.

shari - 12-9-2013 at 01:34 PM

holy snowball...leaving Fort Mac this time of year sounds like a plan to me! hahaha...have a safe trip paisano...hope you find a good travel companion to make the trip more fun.

LancairDriver - 12-9-2013 at 01:40 PM

Possibly check with Mark_BC who is looking to get dumped off part way down to embark on a fatbike adventure. Maybe U2 him.

motoged - 12-10-2013 at 01:03 AM

Fort Mac,
I am leaving Kamloops Dec 11th and hope to cross at Tecate Dec 15 or 16th (Sunday or Monday) w/ pickup and dirtbike.

Does that work?

I will be checking e-mails in the evenings while on the way down....headed to Todos and south cape for 2-3 weeks before wandering back up for some loops....

Maybe we could at least hook up in San Jose/area.

I am in south cape from Dec 20-Jan 7th.

[Edited on 12-10-2013 by motoged]

David K - 12-10-2013 at 01:21 AM

Everything is well signed... look for 'Ensenada Scenic Route (Toll/ Cuota) and Mex #1-D.

Next, look for San Quintin and Mex. #1... past San Quintin in 5 hours and things get more fun, less people, narrower highway... Top the fuel tanks at El Rosario (Km. 57) Pemex, on the left. Great motel right there 'Baja Cactus' next to Pemex. Or drive 2 miles to the other end of town for Baja's Best Bed & Breakfast on the right, or the Turista Motel, on the left. No more towns for a while... next Pemex gas in 200 miles... but emergency gas sold at Cataviņa (76 miles) and again at the L.A. Bay highway junction, 60 more miles.

That should get you to Baja Sur... where there are more frequent towns and gas stations. San Ignacio has a Canadian run B&B called Ignacio Springs... they will feed you right! In a beautiful oasis at the approx. halfway mark on Hwy. 1 to Cabo from Tijuana.

Fortmac - 12-10-2013 at 08:17 AM

Wow, Motoged,.... that is pefect timing, I will hopefully meet up with you at the crossing and we are both packing dirtbikes.... too cool!!
Sent you an U2U message with my cel# etc.

motoged - 12-10-2013 at 12:09 PM

Fortmac,
U2U'd you and e-mailed you....we will be in touch.

Now, if DK could just map our route, highlight spots of interest along the 1000 mile drive, recommend places to eat and stay (DK...know any good places in El Rosario ? :biggrin: ), and put up some pics of his previous Baja trips.....we might just make it in one piece ... :light::lol: :saint:

Sounds like some highway construction along the way...:cool:

shari - 12-10-2013 at 02:28 PM

Fortmac...you couldnt ask for a better convoy companion than Ged...he knows the ropes and is a great guy to boot...just ask dtbushpilot!

I highly recommend trying to make it work! You wont be disappointed.

motoged - 12-10-2013 at 03:07 PM

Shari,
David is on his phone right now warning Fortmac about my guiding style:
:biggrin::biggrin:

CortezBlue - 12-10-2013 at 03:32 PM

I was just released from, let's say, an institution, and I have some free time on my hands. Would love to catch a ride down south. I will have a set of curtain rod's wrapped in paper that I need to deliver to a friend. Where can you pick me up?

[Edited on 12-10-2013 by CortezBlue]

motoged - 12-10-2013 at 04:08 PM

What colour are the curtains?

shari - 12-10-2013 at 04:44 PM

HAR HAR HAR....ha ha....hahahahaha...hahahahaahahahaaaaahaaaa...best belly laugh I've had all day Ged...look forward to DT's response.

CortezBlue - 12-10-2013 at 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
What colour are the curtains?

Gray, nuf said!!:o