BajaNomad

BOLA icon dies in car crash

marv sherrill - 12-9-2013 at 06:19 PM

Anyone who has been to Bay of LA has undoubedly met Herman Hill - resident geologist and jokester, and a mainstay at Guiermos resturant. I was just informed that he died in a single car crash in San Quintin 2 days ago. I don't know any more information. Perhaps his good friend Roger at Villa Bahia could post more information later.

David K - 12-9-2013 at 06:25 PM

Very sad news indeed!!!

Herman was the life of the party at Diaz' New Years Eve Dance... and very fun to visit with... but tight lipped on his source of gold!

Vaya Con Dios Herman!

[Edited on 12-10-2013 by David K]

Meany - 12-9-2013 at 06:31 PM

Sad to here. I loved his story's......

Marc - 12-9-2013 at 06:36 PM

Herman signed his book for me a while back. One of a kind. RIP.

[Edited on 12-10-2013 by Marc]

Paulina - 12-9-2013 at 06:47 PM

Damn it Herman.

He has been my baja dad for 22 years.

My heart is broken right now.

I've got a call into Mia.

I was hoping for just one more dance on New Years eve.

Good night Irene, good night Irene, I'll see you in my dreams.

With love,
Paulina

basautter - 12-9-2013 at 06:51 PM

Very sad...he was a great guy, and wrote a great book. We will miss him during our annual visits to BOLA.

woody with a view - 12-9-2013 at 06:54 PM

town is losing some good guys recently.....RIP!

shari - 12-9-2013 at 08:00 PM

fare thee well Herman on your voyage to the other side. So sorry for those left behind who will miss you.

bajario - 12-9-2013 at 09:19 PM

RIP.

I have his book on my night stand. It's the only one that I read in bed that didn't put me too sleep.

MexicoTed - 12-9-2013 at 11:57 PM

Met him about 10 years ago while staying at Raquel and Larrys. What a great guy and full of even better stories. We spent an afternoon together sitting and talking. Sorry to hear.

David K - 12-10-2013 at 12:02 AM

The three L.A. Bay guys: Mike Humfreville, Beach Bob and Herman Hill are all together now.

larryC - 12-10-2013 at 08:21 AM

Too bad, he will be missed. What a character, but a great character.
Larry

DENNIS - 12-10-2013 at 08:55 AM

Not that it's all that important, but are there any new details available?

After the great run that Herman had, it seems he deserved a more fitting exit.

DEP, Señor.

Neal Johns - 12-10-2013 at 10:08 AM

Met him for the first time a couple of years ago when I was down with Art in his 4x4 motorhome. Very friendly to us. RIP.
Neal

David K - 12-10-2013 at 10:42 AM

On July 4, 2001, while piloting the Viva Baja 4WD Van with several amigos (now Nomads) on board and having just returned from our first search for the lost mission (Santa María Magdalena) of Choral Pepper's writings, we learned of a party at Herman's home. So we headed from Camp Gecko and Paulina's place to Guillermo's compound where Herman had a home. Mike Humfreville cooked up some fish he was given a day or two before at Cielito Lindo (It may have been from Minnow/ Tom?). The college kids from the research station were all there... a super 4th of July fiesta, Baja style!

Of the Nomads on the lost mission search, I think Neal and DavidE had enough wild times searching for the mission and stayed back at camp?

Anyway, it was quite a get-together and you could see how much the kids loved old Herman... as anyone else who met him must be now...

edm1 - 12-10-2013 at 12:19 PM

Herman, where didyou hide your gold?

RIP!!!

Neal, we met Herman only 6 months ago.

DENNIS - 12-10-2013 at 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by edm1
Herman, where didyou hide your gold?

RIP!!!

Neal, we met Herman only 6 months ago.

"Herman's Lost Mine." A blockbuster worthy of Bogart. :biggrin:

Wiles - 12-10-2013 at 12:41 PM

Paulina, my heart is heavy with sorrow for your loss. Another voice has been added to the choir drifting each night above the water and desert. I am sure you will hear him often.
Wiles

24baja - 12-10-2013 at 01:58 PM

We wish we had had the chance to meet this wonderful icon. So sorry to hear of his passing and will keep all his loved ones in our thoughts. RIP Herman, may you find streets of gold and your lost mine. Connie and Brett

Tbone - 12-10-2013 at 03:00 PM

A couple years ago I bought one of Herman’s books and he signed it while having Margaritas at Guiermos. Lots of good stories, great guy. I looked forward to seeing him at Guiermos.

wetto - 12-10-2013 at 03:41 PM

Had drinks with Herman at Hippy Johns place in the compound several years ago. What great stories from a long time resident of Baja. I will be missing him as I travel down this year.

elgatoloco - 12-10-2013 at 05:08 PM

That is sad news. We only hung out with him a few times but he always had a great story to tell.

Paulina - 12-10-2013 at 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Not that it's all that important, but are there any new details available?

After the great run that Herman had, it seems he deserved a more fitting exit.

DEP, Señor.

Dennis,

There aren't any more details available yet, at least they haven't come by me. I have a few feelers out. As far as his exit goes, I was hoping it would be peaceful in his sleep, but I didn't win that one.

Knowing Herman he finally remembered to take the emergency brake off and was able to clear the 110 mph mark on the speedo, as he launched off a jump, with a trunk full of Jesuit gold, and car full of imaginary "Turtle farm girls" who knew how to clean windows, with visions of his killer margaritas dancing in their bellybuttons.

I'm just hoping it was quick.

P>*)))>{

DENNIS - 12-10-2013 at 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
Knowing Herman he finally remembered to take the emergency brake off and was able to clear the 110 mph mark on the speedo, as he launched off a jump, with a trunk full of Jesuit gold, and car full of imaginary "Turtle farm girls" who knew how to clean windows, with visions of his killer margaritas dancing in their bellybuttons.

I'm just hoping it was quick.

P>*)))>{

We can hope. Thanks, P. So sorry for your loss of a heart-close buddy. He may be on the same train north as Mandela. Who knows?

Paulina - 12-10-2013 at 07:56 PM

I last saw Herman at the end of September. He posed for this photo with me, as a favor to my son. Ever since my son was little he has been intrigued by Herman's old Navy tattoos. The story Herman told about this one was that he wanted to make sure that if his leg was ever shot off in the war, the medic could find it and know who to re-attach it to.

H.C. Hill

There was one summer when my son insisted he have his name written on his leg with a black Sharpie.

The following is the tribute my son put on his fb page yesterday;

"My "Baja Grandpa" of 22 years, Herman Chester Hill, died in a single car crash in Baja yesterday. I got to see him one last time a few years ago after I graduated college.

As a kid, I practically grew up sitting at that table behind him learning old Vegas card tricks, roaming the beach for hours with a metal detector, and watching old VHS tapes when the town generator was running.

He tattooed his initials on his leg so that they'd know who to return it to if it was blown off in the war. This picture was taken this past summer; he was in his 90s.

Bahia de los Angeles will not be the same without him. Thanks, Herman."

Today at work I received a txt from my son, who lives in New York. This is what I saw when I opened the message;

Herman, you are loved.

P>*)))>{

[Edited on 11-12-2013 by Paulina]

DENNIS - 12-10-2013 at 08:11 PM

My bud Richie, "Slick", just got back from LA Bay a few days back and had seen Herman close to his last day, reported here by Marv to be 12/07.
Herman had told Richie he wanted to be in Ensenada on the 7th to celebrate a birthday party, or something like that. He may have been in a terrible hurry.

He was 92, but didn't know what that meant.

woody with a view - 12-10-2013 at 08:17 PM

it sucks that people don't ever get to know how much people really love them before they check out.

that tatoo is pretty epic! wish i could have met the man.....

DENNIS - 12-10-2013 at 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
it sucks that people don't ever get to know how much people really love them before they check out.

True enough. Didn't Jimmy Buffett sing something about a poet that didn't achieve fame until he died? [like so many others]
Paulina knows this one. :biggrin:

Paulina - 12-10-2013 at 08:39 PM

Dennis,
I bet that was it, there was a 60th birthday party was last weekend in Ensenada. Leave it to Herman to "Barney Oldfield" it north, instead of leaving a day or two early. I wasn't kidding about the emergency brake. To be honest, Herman really should not have been driving, and I count it a blessing that no one else was involved.

Woody,
Herman knew. He posed for that last photo for my son. My son just wasn't decided at the time if he was going to get his own initials or copy Herman's. Herman ended up making the decision for him, I guess. Every time I left Bahia I never knew if it was going to be the last time I saw Herman. I always made sure to say I love you. Sometimes he beat me to it.

P>*)))>{

That song is "Death of an Unpopular Poet".

[Edited on 11-12-2013 by Paulina]

vgabndo - 12-10-2013 at 08:58 PM

Paulina, I'm so sorry for your loss, and thank you for sharing your son's tribute. I scrolled the page to the tattoo and the tears erupted. What a sweet man you raised.

DENNIS - 12-10-2013 at 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
I count it a blessing that no one else was involved.

P>*)))>{

That was Richie's immediate response this AM when I talked with him..."Was anyone else hurt?"

Richie had in the recent past gone to GN with Herman and they had to agree before departure that Richie would drive the home leg of the trip.
He said Herman should never have been behind the wheel, if only for his age. I guess his driving was somewhat acceptable anyway.

Ohh well...:saint:

Graham - 12-11-2013 at 05:04 AM

So sorry to hear this... I went to see him on Thanksgiving a couple of weeks ago.

Talked about his prospecting adventures and Baja author things and shared a beer or two. He said he was heading north to Las Vegas.

A few pictures I took at the time. What a great character. He sounded sharp for a 92 year old... So thankful to have been able to share his company and his great stories over the years.

wilderone - 12-11-2013 at 08:03 AM

This brings tears. Paulina, my heart and prayers go out to you. I met Herman once on a solo kayak trip. I rolled into town looking for a place to launch. Herman was sitting with a friend on the plaza and inquired about my arrival there. He immediately invited me to his house to look at the map together. While there, about 5 other people stopped by. We brought out the beer and shots and had an impromptu party. So gracious, friendly, knowledgeable, outgoing - an inspiration. Rest in peace, Herman - you will be greatly missed.

DENNIS - 12-11-2013 at 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
Seems like Herman lived the life he wanted to.

Props to him.

Sorry to all those that will miss him.

Frank....didn't you know him? :?:

David K - 12-11-2013 at 10:15 AM

Thank you Paulina and Graham for adding the photos of Herman... and the words that accompanied them.

Martyman - 12-11-2013 at 12:15 PM

Sorry to hear about Herman...He was a friendly guy.

BOLA icon dies in car crash

jgletne - 12-11-2013 at 04:41 PM

Herman was a great guy. I always asked him to tell his chicken a$$hole joke when I brought down new friends. Here he is delivering the punch line at Guillermo's last October.

DENNIS - 12-11-2013 at 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jgletne
Try the photo again

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=24603#pid7909...

Paulina - 12-11-2013 at 07:46 PM

Graham,

Thank you for posting your photos. I spoke to Herman's sister tonight, and will be forwarding your photos to her. The family will love to have them as they are so recent.

Jgletne, Herman loved to tell that chicken joke. I hope the photos are coming soon. The best part was that no one knew it was a joke till the end. That's how it was with most of Herman's stories.

P>*)))>{

[Edited on 12-12-2013 by Paulina]

DENNIS - 12-11-2013 at 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Wo Dennis, that is a 2007 thread... long ago changed!

oooops....and here I thought Baja was "the land that time forgot"....or something like that. :lol::lol:

Graham - 12-12-2013 at 06:03 AM

Paulina,

Thanks for forwarding the pictures to Herman's family. It was a privilege to share quality time with him on Thanksgiving.
Graham

desertcpl - 12-12-2013 at 12:08 PM

some one tell us the chicken joke

BajaBlanca - 12-12-2013 at 12:11 PM

RIP Herman, we met you years ago and shared a beer at your home. You signed my book for me, thanks.

Herman Hill October, 2013

David K - 12-12-2013 at 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jgletne
Try the photo again

Photos from 'jgletne':

Here (below): photo is Herman delivering his chicken joke punch line. Both were taken in October

basautter - 12-13-2013 at 06:55 PM

Herman will be missed. He was the highlight of our annual dirt bike visits to LA Bay. Enjoyed hearing his stories over breakfast at Guillermo's. Does anyone have any details on what happened??

neilm81301 - 12-14-2013 at 06:20 PM

Damn, another great one I never got to meet. Well, as they say, 'it's my own damn fault'.

I was down there in Mar., '04; bought beer at the Diaz tienda; sat out on the benches. A couple of the old timers came by and shared; I think he was one of them, by the photos. Never got their names.

The chicken joke - is that the recipe with the popcorn?

Neil

Paulina - 12-14-2013 at 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by neilm81301
Damn, another great one I never got to meet. Well, as they say, 'it's my own damn fault'.

I was down there in Mar., '04; bought beer at the Diaz tienda; sat out on the benches. A couple of the old timers came by and shared; I think he was one of them, by the photos. Never got their names.

The chicken joke - is that the recipe with the popcorn?

Neil

Neil,

It could very well have been Herman. We called that "office hours", usually from 2-4pm, having a beer or three on the patio at Diaz's. This was taken in 2006.

P>*)))>{

From Roger's Villa Bahia newsletter his sends out....

mcfez - 12-19-2013 at 10:22 PM

All friends and relatives of Herman Hill join in honoring the memory of Herman Hill, a long time resident of Bahia de los Angeles who passed away recently. The picture above is of Herman at age 20 on his Seaman’s Certificate of Service as an Engineman in the Merchant Marines. He later joined the US Navy in WWII, and served as a Boatswain’s Mate aboard ships in the Pacific, attaining the rank of Chief. Herman did not survive a rollover accident on the road to Bahia, returning from a trip to his beloved Las Vegas, and his even more beloved Keno girls. He knew more about getting gold out of the mountains of Central Baja than any man alive. He was one hell of a man. Rest in peace Herman.

herm.jpg - 44kB

Paulina - 1-5-2014 at 08:32 PM

We just returned from a trip to Bahia. On our way down we stopped in San Quintin, where I made a visit to the Caminos Federales. They showed me the log book where Herman's accident was logged in. The report came in on Sunday, Dec. 8th, 11am. Km199+100m.

We located the accident site, but were not able to safely park to inspect the area.

After talking to Herman's neighbor and a few others in town, it appears that Herman left Bahia on Friday morning, Dec. 6th. He planned to attend a birthday party in Ensenada on Sat., then head up to the V.A. in San Diego on Sunday, then on to Vegas. He had reservations at his favorite El Cortez hotel already made.

Sadly, Herman's accident happened on Friday and was not reported until Sunday. We can only hope that he didn't suffer.

Km199 is the grade that sits just south of San Ignacito and before the dry lake bed (Km200).

Herman was heading north, so he had just passed the dry lake bed, and was a third of the way down the grade when he didn't make the curve.

From the amount of skid marks, this deadly curve has been a problem for others as well.

On our way back north on Jan. 1st, Dern was able to drive very slowly past Herman's curve. I held my camera out the window to try and capture what my eye couldn't see. On our next trip down we are going to try to drive off the road and up onto the mesa where we can park and hike in. Herman deserves a monument. We'll make it happen.

I am posting this info to clear up any questions as to where and when Herman's accident happened. I waited to post after contacting his family.

P>*)))>{

[Edited on 6-1-2014 by Paulina]

BajaRat - 1-5-2014 at 09:05 PM

Thanks Paulina, I'm very sorry to hear of the loss of such a good friend. RIP
We will look for the future monument and pay our respect.

Santiago - 1-5-2014 at 09:22 PM

Thanks for this.

David K - 1-6-2014 at 10:16 AM

Thank you Paulina... Someday I think the highway section south of El Rosario to Punta Prieta will be known for the memorials to Hector and Herman.