BajaNomad

This Time of Year

Gypsy Jan - 12-10-2013 at 02:08 PM

It seems to bring a lot of memories to the forefront - of the recently passed and the not so recent who were landmarks in our lives.

Our housekeeper asked to rearrange her work days so she could march in Virgin of Guadalupe procession on Thursday.

She was embarrassed to be asking me at the last minute, in case it inconvenienced us and because she had forgotten the actual date, it took her kids to remind her.

I told her that it was no problem.

She wanted to tell me (with my imperfect Spanish, this is my interpretation) about her father, who passed four years ago and her mother who she takes care of who is fading away due to advanced diabetes.

She marches to honor them and pray for their redemption and salvation.

We moved on to speak of other things - I was apologetic because the dogs don't like to go out the doggie doors when its cold to do their business, so every morning there is something not nice to clean up inside.

She said that she didn't mind at all, then she went on to tell me that when the altars are set up in the cemetery for the Day of the Dead that there is always a statue or picture of a dog as a part of every altar.

She took my hands into her own and said that, regardless of the person's life, good or bad, or whether he/she liked dogs, the dogs are there to guide them along the road they are taking.

[Edited on 12-10-2013 by Gypsy Jan]

DENNIS - 12-10-2013 at 02:20 PM

Thanks for that, Jan.