BajaNomad

Need info on Hike to waterfall across from Juncalito Beach entrance

Frede - 12-10-2013 at 04:38 PM

We attempted to hike to the falls on the trail accessed across Highway 1 from the Juncalito Beach entrance. We only made it as far as the abandoned ranch house and then the trail fades. Anyone know how to get to the falls?

David K - 12-10-2013 at 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Frede
We attempted to hike to the falls on the trail accessed across Highway 1 from the Juncalito Beach entrance. We only made it as far as the abandoned ranch house and then the trail fades. Anyone know how to get to the falls?

Welcome to Baja Nomad...

I think you are talking about the Steinback or Tabor Canyon?

It is across from the Puerto Escondido entrance, a bit south of Juncalito... Photos of the falls/ pools... and some satellite maps, in this thread: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=21916

There may be another canyon even further south, per Phil S.

[Edited on 12-11-2013 by David K]

Skipjack Joe - 12-10-2013 at 09:55 PM

Just cross the highway when you come out of Pt Escondido and head for the mountains. If the road is fenced then hike in along the dry bed a hundred feet north of there. Eventually you come to a much larger river bed. Follow it until it enters the canyon.

There should be a good amount of water in there right now. It's a good place to get out of the wind. It soon comes to a place with steep walls and huge boulders blocking your way. It takes rock climbing ability to get past this spot. But there is a good pool at it's base.

The way can be easily seen from Google Earth.

Skipjack Joe - 12-10-2013 at 10:15 PM

I just looked at GE and discovered that you can get past that narrows by leaving the river bed before it gets steep and walking along the flat edge and eventually dropping back down to river. It opens up after that and goes quite a ways with palm groves. Should be good. I envy you.

elfbrewery - 12-12-2013 at 04:23 PM

Good luck. We walked this three times in the last 20 years. The last time, after Hurricane Jimena, I couldn't find a reasonable path. I had the GPS with me from the second trek, but couldn't reach the first big pool (of water). Be safe.