BajaNomad

Maps, CD roms and atlases

Gulliver - 12-12-2013 at 08:17 PM

I have been getting by for the last quarter century with the AAA map and the Kevin Healey fold out map. I find myself wondering if I might be helped by some better stuff.

What are the opinions of the National Geographic Baja Explorer CD-ROMs? Is the Baja Almanac worth the money? Other suggestions? I carry a GPS.

I have a dual sport bike that I trailer behind my class B. The bike is unstoppable and has long legs so I can head up some pretty dubious tracks but it would be nice to have an idea whether they connect through.

Thanks,
Mike

woody with a view - 12-12-2013 at 08:23 PM

oh boy, stand by....

Barry A. - 12-12-2013 at 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
oh boy, stand by....

:lol::lol::lol: Yep, Gulliver, any second now--------you hit the jackpot!!! :O: :spingrin:
Barry

Gulliver - 12-12-2013 at 09:31 PM

Hold the presses! I just found my copy of the almanac. Terrible brain fart. That's what I get for not going down for three years running.

But the question about the CD's still stands. Or anything else interesting.

I've got my asbestos underpants on. Go for it!

Mike

David K - 12-12-2013 at 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gulliver
Hold the presses! I just found my copy of the almanac. Terrible brain fart. That's what I get for not going down for three years running.

But the question about the CD's still stands. Or anything else interesting.

I've got my asbestos underpants on. Go for it!

Mike

So you had the Almanac all along and just forgot about it? :wow:

Seriously, the Nat Geo maps are nice, big scale, but I don't know what you can do with them as far as planning or exploring... The Almanac has the most data (topography, roads, trails) and not a ton of errors... I believe the CDs are of the Nat Geo maps?

The Kevin Healey map used to be real good, about 10 years ago, then he changed it and it is no longer accurate.

The AAA map, 2004/7/10 edition is great for planning and using on the trip, but only has major dirt roads... so you need the Almanac too, if you go off road.

Do you need to see samples of any maps, or are you good with the Almanac and AAA map?

Gulliver - 12-12-2013 at 11:09 PM

Yeah, forgot about it. I was looking at Judy's ad and thinking, "Gee that looks great. And familiar too." Dug through my stack of almanacs for all the US states and didn't see it. Got on here and posted. Then Barbara looked and found it. I think the womb is a search engine.

The almanac is pretty good but when I see postings about a 'road' heading South out of Agua Verde I get all excited and want to look it up. I'll probably be based out of Ligui and exploring all around there my moto. I want to see if I can come in by the back way to look down on Ligui and Puerto Escondito from the Sierra Gigante. Some day I'm going to leave my bones up one of those roads.

David K - 12-12-2013 at 11:29 PM

The other Agua Verde road is in there... Glad it was found and I hope you have a great time. Remember, Ligüí was the site of the 3rd California mission (1705-1721)... and it was the first to be abandoned. Sadly, the remaining ruins were destroyed by the flash flood in 2001. Someone erected a metal cross and outlined a area with rocks about 100 meters from where the mission was. It too is being 'eaten' away by the widening arroyo... Just a real bad location for any building... or graves!

Gulliver - 12-12-2013 at 11:41 PM

Hmm. I'm looking at Agua Verde on the bottom of pg. 42 and the continuation on the top of 44. I don't see it.

I see the water course but no trail or road. Maybe my 70 year old eyes aren't up to it!

The reason I got excited was the posts with Google Earth shots showing a 'road' leaving the Agua Verde Road just a few miles from the village and heading up in the hills with the implied notion that it connected through.

David K - 12-12-2013 at 11:46 PM

Last Map is 22... OH, you are looking at the 2003 Almanac!

You need to have the 2009 one, for that road...

Gulliver - 12-12-2013 at 11:49 PM

Oops. I guess I'll be sending Judy some money. Hope she can get one to me before I head South in a week. Or I can buy one along the way. Rather have her get the profit though.

Thanks,

Mike

David K - 12-12-2013 at 11:52 PM

Sounds like Judy and company got the last of them... Don't count on finding them in Baja... but you might? Judy sells my book too, if you are into a little mission history! ;)

Gulliver - 12-12-2013 at 11:54 PM

Sending her an email just now to inquire about mailing. I wonder if she has a phone number? I don't even know where she is based.

David K - 12-13-2013 at 12:23 AM

San Jose del Cabo is the store location, but their online catalog sales of books comes from inside the USA (for speedy service to USA and Canada customers).

Gulliver - 12-13-2013 at 12:32 AM

She will probably know how long it takes to get an order out the door and how badly the post office usually messes around.

I live on a small island and they lost a whole basket of outgoing mail last year. Never told us. Never have explained. The mail just evaporated. And never has been found. No checks cashed by the wrong person or anyone. How the hell do they loose a two by three foot box of mail??

The first we knew was when our mortgage payment didn't arrive at the bank and we got nailed with a great big charge. When we pestered the investigating officer for the post office were threatened with prosecution if we complained to the news services. This after weeks of no action. We b-tched anyway and hundreds of other people came out of the woodwork. We have gone over to all electronic payment. They are talking about closing our post office and stopping Saturday delivery and stuff like that. Ask me if I give a hoot.

Going to bed before I start kicking the cat.