BajaNomad

DENNIS Update

Pages:  1  

durrelllrobert - 12-16-2013 at 09:42 AM

He fell in his house Friday night and broke his hip. He is now at the VA in La Jolla and it's my understanding that they will be doing a total replacement because the break was so bad. That means he will be starting his rehab, that he was doing so good with, all over again.:o

[Edited on 12-20-2013 by durrelllrobert]

[Edited on 12-29-2013 by durrelllrobert]

desertcpl - 12-16-2013 at 09:58 AM

that's terrible,, so sorry to here this very sad news, I will miss his posting
wishing Dennis a speedy recovery

DianaT - 12-16-2013 at 10:12 AM

DAMN, That is terrible news. I just hope he bounces back quickly. I think he surprised everyone before, and with his determination, he will do it again!

I also hope someone is looking after his dog?

Dennis

bajaguy - 12-16-2013 at 10:14 AM

Bob......let me know if I can do anything

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
He fell in his house Friday night and broke his hip. He is now at the VA in La Jolla and it's my understanding that they will be doing a total replacement because the break was so bad. That means he will be starting his rehab, that he was doing so good with, all over again.:o

shari - 12-16-2013 at 10:29 AM

Geezo...so sorry to hear about big D's fall...I told him not to dance in his socks! Sending healing hugs and kisses your way D.

Sad Bad News, Indeed

Gypsy Jan - 12-16-2013 at 10:31 AM

Please convey the GJ family's best regards and good thoughts for a successful operation and complete recovery.

Also, please keep us Nomads updated on his progress

gnukid - 12-16-2013 at 10:36 AM

Get well soon Dennis, You can do it!

Hook - 12-16-2013 at 10:38 AM

Well, let's face it. He's the Patron of the Nomads board at this point, like it or not. And I tend to like an irreverant Patron. So, I like it.

Get well, soon, Dennis.

Sounds like he's gonna need some in-house care after this.

Maybe EnsenadaDr can be persuaded..........:o:lol:

Lee - 12-16-2013 at 10:57 AM

Not totally bad news. La Jolla VA is the best. Dennis'll be better than original.

EnsenadaDr - 12-16-2013 at 11:00 AM

I have a job in the US so I am not down in Ensenada as frequently. Sorry!! Maybe you can make it Hook.
Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Well, let's face it. He's the Patron of the Nomads board at this point, like it or not. And I tend to like an irreverant Patron. So, I like it.

Get well, soon, Dennis.

Sounds like he's gonna need some in-house care after this.

Maybe EnsenadaDr can be persuaded..........:o:lol:

comitan - 12-16-2013 at 11:10 AM

Dennis

You've got the best doctors, with your determination you'll be back in no time, you have a lot of Nomad support.

willardguy - 12-16-2013 at 11:21 AM

"you cant stop him, only hope to contain him" get well buddy!:yes:

tjsue - 12-16-2013 at 11:40 AM

Get well, Dennis!

Keri - 12-16-2013 at 11:46 AM

Hi DEnnis ,So sorry to hear about your hip. Hey big guy a new hip will just be stronger than the old one ,take it from one who knows been there done that..You will be up and hopping around real quickly. If I can do anything let me know,k

Pompano - 12-16-2013 at 11:51 AM

Damn, you fell and broke a hip? THAT'S gotta hurt.

You have mucho support and amigos here on Nomads, Dennis. I join all in wishing you a speedy return home ...and saying adios to those damnable hospital beds.

You need to take good care, my friend.

My best personal advice is: In-line skates don't go well with a walker.

sancho - 12-16-2013 at 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
He's the Patron of the Nomads board

No doubt about that, get well D

Osprey - 12-16-2013 at 12:13 PM

Hope you have a quick and solid recovery. It might entail a hip replacement. Just a word of caution. I had one, had a small problem later then saw one of the Lawyer ads on TV. Instead of using a lawyer I went directly to the manufacturer with my claim for millions.

They sent me a new hip in the mail. (UPS, insured)

LancairDriver - 12-16-2013 at 12:26 PM

Always enjoy Dennis's posts. Have a speedy recovery Dennis.

bacquito - 12-16-2013 at 12:33 PM

Get well, Punta Banda and Nomads will miss you and we look forward to a speedy recovery on your part

dasubergeek - 12-16-2013 at 12:36 PM

Feel better soon, DENNIS... and get your cantankerous butt back on these boards and keep us updated as soon as you can!

Russ - 12-16-2013 at 12:40 PM

You'll back kicking ass soon. Shake a leg!

DanO - 12-16-2013 at 12:47 PM

GWS, Dennis, we need our bulldog back.

Cypress - 12-16-2013 at 12:56 PM

How'd it happen? You'll be up and about before you know it.

BigOly - 12-16-2013 at 01:17 PM

Oh heck, speedy recovery. Another bump in the road.

DavidE - 12-16-2013 at 01:25 PM

¡!@#$%^&!
Getting old is such a b-tch. i am putting up a handrail on my back porch stair tomorrow.Can't take a tumble anymore without going code 3

Heal fast amigo

mulegemichael - 12-16-2013 at 01:30 PM

hope to be hearin' ya grumbling soon, amigo....git er done!

woody with a view - 12-16-2013 at 01:32 PM

heal up, Amigo!

Bubba - 12-16-2013 at 01:35 PM

Hoping for a full and speedy recovery for you Dennis.

vgabndo - 12-16-2013 at 01:37 PM

Well, crap, that doesn't make anything easier! Sorry Dennis. Hang in there!

GregN - 12-16-2013 at 01:54 PM

The best to you, Dennis.

bajalinda - 12-16-2013 at 01:57 PM

yikes - ouch!, that fall must have hurt. Get well soon - best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Mexitron - 12-16-2013 at 02:14 PM

Oh man...sorry Dennis, get back on your feet soon!

Bajamatic - 12-16-2013 at 02:19 PM

Sorry to hear about this news. GWS Dennis.

Ateo - 12-16-2013 at 03:00 PM

Hey DENNIS! Hope you're reading this thread of well wishes. I'm sure you're in good hands man. Get well dude.

Barbareno - 12-16-2013 at 03:25 PM

Wishing you the best recovery. Have wanted to meet you ever since I first landed on this site.

Crapola!

toneart - 12-16-2013 at 03:45 PM

Well, I'm sure he would have rather have his hip mailed to him, like Osprey. Anyway Dennis, you're in the hospital where you will get good care. I hope you are not in too much pain.

I think he will be on the BajaNomad soon after the surgery. At least it should be sooner than when he had his last setback.

Get well soon, Dennis! I'd bring some drums for you to play. That would insure that they kick you out of the hospital sooner than later. :lol:

Tony

bajacalifornian - 12-16-2013 at 04:19 PM

Damn. Really sorry to hear . . . only the best to you with your recovery.

DocRey - 12-16-2013 at 04:31 PM

Praying for a speedy recovery.:bounce:

Bouncing Back after the Break ?

MrBillM - 12-16-2013 at 04:58 PM

It seems like the problem was Snap, but NO Bounce.

That's Life among the Advanced Aged.

We have an older friend who went in for a repair over a year ago and it's been a downhill struggle ever since with fainter hope that recovery is likely.

Bajahowodd - 12-16-2013 at 06:04 PM

Just maybe it was meant to happen for his own good. He's been contemplating selling his place in Punta Banda and moving back North for some time. He has mentioned the need to be closer to VA care way before this happened.

Dennis is a great guy. He's extremely intelligent and has a wonderful sense of humor. I consider him to be a good friend.

I wish him the best.

Skipjack Joe - 12-16-2013 at 06:05 PM

Dennis, you've been through worse than this. Just think of all those young goyjus nurses that will be attending you and it won't seem so bad.

And come back soon. This board needs your pi$$ and grit.

[Edited on 12-17-2013 by Skipjack Joe]

Kgryfon - 12-16-2013 at 06:12 PM

All the best wishes to you for a speedy recovery, Dennis!

Marc - 12-16-2013 at 06:18 PM

Tough luck. Hang in there.

David K - 12-16-2013 at 07:50 PM

Heal up stronger than before Dennis!!!

BajaBlanca - 12-16-2013 at 08:08 PM

Oh my goodness! Right before the holidays. Are you allowed visitors? We will be in San Diego and could come over with some cheer! I think the replacement will be a piece of cake .... Hoping so, anyways!

liknbaja127 - 12-16-2013 at 08:26 PM

Hoping you a a fast recovery, All ready missing your posts.

fishbuck - 12-16-2013 at 08:43 PM

Whoa! Man, Dennis is getting a new hip... nice! But seriously, very sorry to hear about your injury.:(

bajadogs - 12-16-2013 at 09:05 PM

Hey Dennis, you sure know how to plan your holidays.
Truly wishing you all the best.
Mark

mcfez - 12-16-2013 at 09:39 PM

......does anything to get attention here :-)

GW my friend.

Paula - 12-16-2013 at 09:48 PM

Whoa, Dennis! You mean all I have to do to get out of decorating and baking cookies and wrapping packages is fall down??

Not on your life:dudette:

Hope it all goes well for you!

grace59 - 12-16-2013 at 10:02 PM

DENNIS....wishing you a full and speedy recovery! Give 'em hell!!

churro - 12-16-2013 at 10:17 PM

Get Well Soon Dennis!

BajaParrothead - 12-16-2013 at 10:33 PM

DENNIS you can certainly get through this one after conquering your last bout. We're all in your corner and at your side. Wishing a speedy recovery!!

Greg

bigmike - 12-17-2013 at 01:53 AM

Dennis,

Hope your surgery and recovery goes well. Your missed here in Punta Banda!! Let me know if you need anything here, we are driving up on Sunday!!

willyAirstream - 12-17-2013 at 07:41 AM

Hang in there Dennis. No more pole dancing. Get well soon.

Timo1 - 12-17-2013 at 07:48 AM

I guess this means no more ballet lessons for you

You'll be good as new soon

Dennis

Steve&Debby - 12-17-2013 at 08:43 AM

6 MILLION DOLLAR DENNIS :biggrin::biggrin:

Get well Soon

tripledigitken - 12-17-2013 at 08:51 AM

Hope your hospital stay is short. Get well soon.

Katiejay99 - 12-17-2013 at 08:51 AM

Get well soon Dennis. Sorry to hear about your mishap. Looking forward to your future posts.

micah202 - 12-17-2013 at 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve&;Debby
6 MILLION DOLLAR DENNIS :biggrin::biggrin:

Get well Soon

...ohh,Mannnnn,,,maybe we should start a collection!!!:wow:

TMW - 12-17-2013 at 09:33 AM

Dennis here is wishing you a speedy recovery.

watizname - 12-17-2013 at 09:36 AM

Oh geese. I hope he doesn't see a "bright light" or something and turn into a bleeding heart nice guy type. His acid wit is one of the things I look for on this board.
Never met you buddy, and although I don't always agree, I really enjoy your slice and dice repartee. Get well soon get back on here. Best of wishes for a speedy recovery.:yes:

CaboMagic - 12-17-2013 at 10:25 AM

Must admit my heart stopped/dropped when I read the subject line ..
Oh Dennis! Your prose and presence is an integral part of reading on this forum! Sending magic and best wishes your way for a swift recovery .. enjoy all that nurse attention :-) Your cyber amigos from Cabo Magic .. T&L

A Slip to the Hip

MrBillM - 12-17-2013 at 11:32 AM

Is often that's IT !

For US Geezers. The Numbers are Ugly.

Good Luck in Beating the Odds.

rhintransit - 12-17-2013 at 11:37 AM

sending best wishes for a speedy recovery!

fdt - 12-17-2013 at 02:38 PM

Get well soon Dennis.

DavidE - 12-17-2013 at 03:17 PM

Mr BillM, ah jeez I was hoping no one would bring that up. I try to keep in mind Dennis is going to take a look at the forum and this thread. I faced 13% odds with AML and I can tell you it crushed me down into the bed something awful. I had a friend who kept yelling "Leukemia? You're going to Die!" She was freaked not mean. Words are powerful.

vgabndo - 12-17-2013 at 03:45 PM

David, you've probably noticed that Bill HAS a mean streak, just like I have an angry streak. I too was taken aback that the condolences were uniformly positive and uplifting until something turd-like was suddenly floating in the punch bowl. It didn't seem very conscious to me.
The N I H says less than a third of hip fracture patients ultimately die of the injury or surgery, and the median age of those who suffer the injury is near 80 anyway. I hope I read it right.

DENNIS seems to be looking at pretty fair odds. The presence of numerous other deadly infirmities in the aged DOES contribute to the number of people taken-out by a hip fracture.

This might be a good reason for us old toots to be inoculated against pneumonia and to get a flu shot. It isn't the fracture that kills, but the inability to fight-off the other diseases while bedridden, if I understand it correctly.

Anyway, Dennis, don't let the dark side bring you down!

Ken Bondy - 12-17-2013 at 03:59 PM

Rooting for you Sr. Dennis. Get better quick and get back on board here. Miss your sharp wit.

Update

durrelllrobert - 12-17-2013 at 04:23 PM

The VA did the full hip replacement last night. He’s doing fine but in pain. He'staking the pain meds and not being stubborn about it – amazing! He’s starting PT later today. He says it’s going to be a long slow process but I don’t think he has any hard facts yet.

I’ll keep you posted,

tjsue - 12-17-2013 at 04:26 PM

He'll do ok. I have a friend that had her second one in October, and she's doing ok.

DavidE - 12-17-2013 at 04:49 PM

durrelllrobert

DIEZ MIL GRACIAS! Being old, grumpy and somewhat pessimistic about "Getting Better All The Time" as far as me personally, the positive news is highly appreciated. As I totter and stumble about, the spectre of a bad fall haunts me.

Poor Shari must have grimaced as she watched me ascend and descend a tall staircase in the "Blue House".

And your mentioning of pneumonia hits right to the point. Sometimes the best defense is a swift kick in the...

BajaNomad - 12-17-2013 at 05:03 PM

Quote:
The VA did the full hip replacement last night. He’s doing fine but in pain. He'staking the pain meds and not being stubborn about it – amazing! He’s starting PT later today. He says it’s going to be a long slow process but I don’t think he has any hard facts yet.

I’ll keep you posted,

I visited Dennis this afternoon at the VA. As noted, he had hip replacement surgery yesterday. He's in good spirits, but obviously in some pain at the moment as well. He said they'd started PT with him already today. He indicated some expectation of being there for some time to come in order to go through PT he has ahead. Someone is watching his home and his dog for him.

I was inquiring if there was anything I could do for him since I was local - and he told me everything seemed to be quite under control, and to tell everyone he said "hi" and that he was grateful for all the well-wishes people have posted.

:)

David K - 12-17-2013 at 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
Quote:

I’ll keep you posted,

I visited Dennis this afternoon at the VA. As noted, he had hip replacement surgery yesterday. He's in good spirits, but obviously in some pain at the moment as well. He said they'd started PT with him already today. He indicated some expectation of being there for some time to come in order to go through PT he has ahead. Someone is watching his home and his dog for him.

I was inquiring if there was anything I could do for him since I was local - and he told me everything seemed to be quite under control, and to tell everyone he said "hi" and that he was grateful for all the well-wishes people have posted.

:)

Very cool of you to do this Doug... the host with the most, Baja Nomad!

BajaParrothead - 12-17-2013 at 07:44 PM

Quote:

I’ll keep you posted,

Thanks Bob, we appreciate the updates and are thankful that it is good news.

acadist - 12-17-2013 at 09:18 PM

Get well soon!

Bajaboy - 12-17-2013 at 09:28 PM

Hurry up and get out of there Dennis....there are rumors of a collection fund from Nomads to get RuPaul impersonator to come sing for you:biggrin:

Mulegena - 12-17-2013 at 09:37 PM

So hurry and get your boogy on so you can play bongos with Ru Paul!!

Best wishes for a quick recovery.

BajaBlanca - 12-17-2013 at 10:30 PM

great news that the surgery was done already. It is now all uphill (((:

Paulina - 12-17-2013 at 10:49 PM

I'm glad to read that Dennis and Lulu are in good hands.
Heal quickly Dennis.

P>*)))>{

Barry A. - 12-17-2013 at 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
I'm glad to read that Dennis and Lulu are in good hands.
Heal quickly Dennis.

P>*)))>{

I certainly echo that!!!! Hurry back, Dennis.

Barry

EnsenadaDr - 12-18-2013 at 05:56 AM

1. Introduction

Stroke and osteoporotic hip fracture (HF) are two highly prevalent conditions among the elderly, both with poor clinical outcomes and high medical and social costs. Worldwide the prevalence of these events is expected to increase dramatically because of rapid population ageing. Osteoporosis and low-impact trauma are the main determinants of HF in the elderly. Stroke increases the risk of falls [1–5] as a result of impaired locomotor function and muscle weakness [6, 7], accelerates bone loss (especially in the hemiplegic leg) [8–26], and subsequently leads to fractures [4, 27–29]. Although accumulating evidence suggests bidirectional links between vascular diseases, including stroke, and osteoporotic fractures [9–11, 30–35], there is still considerable uncertainty regarding the contribution of stroke to osteoporotic HF.

The incidence of HF after a stroke was reported to be 1.5–4 times [27, 29, 36, 37] or even >7 times [28] higher than in the general population, but this was not observed in other studies [38–40]. Similarly, the reported prevalence of previous stroke among patients with HF ranges from 3% to 38.5% [4, 41–43].

Data concerning clinical characteristics, outcomes, prediction, and prevention of poststroke HF are also inconsistent [3, 35, 41, 44, 45]. Most previous studies have examined only a small number of the many clinical and pathogenic factors involved in stroke and HF. The exact aetiology and pathogenesis of poststroke osteoporosis remain not fully understood. Studies have generally focused on bone mineral density (BMD) and documented accelerated bone loss, especially in paretic limbs [10, 12–14, 22], with only few analysing mineral and bone metabolism in poststroke patients [15, 21, 46, 47]. Fracture prevention and osteoporosis care are not included in current guidelines for stroke management.

The aims of this study were (1) to investigate the prevalence of poststroke HF, (2) to compare in HF patients with and without a previous stroke the demographic, clinical, and laboratory characteristics and short-term outcomes, (3) to test in both groups the associations of parameters related to mineral and bone metabolism, and (4) to determine whether any clinical or laboratory characteristics are indicative/predictive for a poststroke HF.

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/srt/2013/641943/

shari - 12-18-2013 at 07:00 AM

Hip Hip Hooray!!! I knew that shaking my pom poms would do some good...big D..you KNOW I am your lead cheerleader...and dont worry, lots of us have impaired locomotors around here!!!

Gracias Doug for today's great news!

Give me a D...Give me an I...NN...I..S GET WELL fast Dennis!

EnsenadaDr.

DianaT - 12-18-2013 at 07:22 AM

It is a good thing statistics are created to be proved incorrect in many, many cases. It is a bit like reading all the warning material for every pill one takes; it scares the heck out of one.

I guess because of my age, I don't consider Dennis elderly. Now when my ex-mother-in-law fell and broke her hip at 95, that I consider elderly.

I have a close relative who is a bit over 70 and has had BOTH hips replaced in the last few years and is still riding her quad. Her significant other is over 80 and in the last few years had both knees replaced, and he is also out there. Very different scenarios, but staying positive certainly helped.

While it is easy to find all the possible negative outcomes, for Dennis, I prefer, as I am sure you do, to keep the positive thoughts and believe that Dennis is tougher than those statistics --- stroke, fracture and all. He will be back to take care of Lulu.

On the other hand, it is always interesting to read different studies and statistics. Thank you.

[Edited on 12-18-2013 by DianaT]

Liza Minnelli Has Had Two Hip Replacement Surgeries

Gypsy Jan - 12-18-2013 at 09:19 AM

And knee replacement, as well.

From The Gale Encyclopedia of Biography: "Throughout the 1990s Minnelli continued to appear on stage and screen. Minnelli filled in for Julie Andrews in the 1997 revival of musical Victor/Victoria, as well as appearing in many television specials including Broadway revival The West Side Waltz.

In 1999, Minnelli developed a one-woman Broadway tribute to her father, Minnelli on Minnelli, a great success. Otherwise, however, during the late 1990s, Minnelli was primarily out of the limelight battling health problems.

In 1997, Minnelli had hip replacement surgery; she would undergo the surgery again in 2001. She additionally had a knee replacement and a dangerous bout with viral encephalitis in 2000..in 2003, Minnelli began a recurring guest role on critically acclaimed comedy series Arrested Development, her most public role in several years.

In December 2005, Minnelli filmed an episode of the respected television show Inside the Actor's Studio. Nearly [70] years old - and with no signs of giving up performing - Minnelli seems assured a place in entertainment history far beyond that of being simply Judy Garland's daughter."

So, "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

And, there are role models and then there are ROLE MODELS!

Stay positive and get well. :spingrin: :yes:

[Edited on 12-18-2013 by Gypsy Jan]

Not his type

durrelllrobert - 12-18-2013 at 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Hurry up and get out of there Dennis....there are rumors of a collection fund from Nomads to get RuPaul impersonator to come sing for you:biggrin:

...but Lulu might like him

mcfez - 12-18-2013 at 09:36 AM

Great post expressing uplifted spirits Diana.

My friend and nurseryman Hardy just had a double hip replacement four weeks ago. From bed to a cane at this point. He says the cane goes in a few weeks.

The worst change in his life from all this? He sold his manual stick transmission truck and bought a new automatic transmission truck!

He is back at the nursery part time......last week!

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
It is a good thing statistics are created to be proved incorrect in many, many cases. It is a bit like reading all the warning material for every pill one takes; it scares the heck out of one.

I guess because of my age, I don't consider Dennis elderly. Now when my ex-mother-in-law fell and broke her hip at 95, that I consider elderly.

I have a close relative who is a bit over 70 and has had BOTH hips replaced in the last few years and is still riding her quad. Her significant other is over 80 and in the last few years had both knees replaced, and he is also out there. Very different scenarios, but staying positive certainly helped.

While it is easy to find all the possible negative outcomes, for Dennis, I prefer, as I am sure you do, to keep the positive thoughts and believe that Dennis is tougher than those statistics --- stroke, fracture and all. He will be back to take care of Lulu.

On the other hand, it is always interesting to read different studies and statistics. Thank you.

[Edited on 12-18-2013 by mcfez]

EnsenadaDr - 12-18-2013 at 10:10 AM

Diana,

I don't think you understood my motivation for posting the article. It was not written to prove negative outcome for a Hip replacement in the Elderly, it was written to understand why post stroke patients have more of a chance to break their hip. Have a wonderful day!!
Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT

THAT's Considered GOOD ?

MrBillM - 12-18-2013 at 12:48 PM

Says VGA ?

"........The N I H says less than a third of hip fracture patients ultimately die of the injury or surgery...."

OF COURSE, [Most] would hope that Dennis beats the odds and fully recovers.

AND, that's what I said.

Wasn't it ?

Personal history involving those I've known indicates that it's a challenge, but people beat statistics all the time.

EnsenadaDr - 12-18-2013 at 05:10 PM

Like it or not, if you are over 55 you are considered a senior citizen, according to the AARP. If anyone out there wants to say they are a spring chicken at 70, that's their prerogative. I do believe the 70 is the new 50. And you are as young as you feel. However, if you have had a stroke, please stay away from alcohol. Your equilibrium is messed up to begin with, and this could lead to a fall as serious as Dennis. Hopefully, alcohol was not a factor in his fall.
Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
Says VGA ?

"........The N I H says less than a third of hip fracture patients ultimately die of the injury or surgery...."

OF COURSE, [Most] would hope that Dennis beats the odds and fully recovers.

AND, that's what I said.

Wasn't it ?

Personal history involving those I've known indicates that it's a challenge, but people beat statistics all the time.

bajaguy - 12-18-2013 at 05:37 PM

I don't put much stock into anything AARP says

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
Like it or not, if you are over 55 you are considered a senior citizen, according to the AARP.

Mula - 12-18-2013 at 06:48 PM

I'm in my middle 60's and don't feel a bit older than 40.

Broken hips/falls not always what they seem

Whale-ista - 12-18-2013 at 10:21 PM

I wish Dennis a full and fast recovery. I hope his recuperation goes well.

Hip replacements are becoming routine for many older adults. 10 years ago my mother needed one. Unfortunately she delayed the surgery because she was a full-time caregiver for her 90+ yr old mother. The pain was terrible but she didn't want to place gram in a nursing home while she recuperated.

I finally did some research and found a doctor Who specialized in minimally invasive surgery. Mom still required weeks of physical therapy, but did well after surgery. She was in her 70s. She felt much better and was pain-free for the first time in years.

While she recuperated I took over caregiving for my grandmother. (She must have had stronger bones- no hip problems.) She was one of the healthiest nonagenarians I ever saw, lived to 97, probably thanks to mom's caregiving for nearly 20 years.

One thing I learned from this experience: many seniors actually break their hip first, and then fall down. This happens more with women who have osteoporosis then with men. There's really no way to know for sure after the fact.

Whatever happened to Dennis and the cause of his fall, I wish him a successful recovery so he can return safely home.

BeemerDan - 12-18-2013 at 10:29 PM

The AARP would count your life in dog year$, if they could get away with it

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy

Quote:
Like it or not, if you are over 55 you are considered a senior citizen, according to the AARP.

EnsenadaDr - 12-18-2013 at 11:23 PM

Ha Ha. I heard they have some good bargains. I get their flyers but I am in denial and don't open up the mail. Merry Christmas!!
Quote:
Originally posted by BeemerDan
The AARP would count your life in dog year$, if they could get away with it

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy

Quote:

BajaLuna - 12-19-2013 at 12:12 AM

get well soon, Dennis!

Bob H - 12-19-2013 at 10:38 AM

So sorry to hear about your fall Dennis... get well soon and get back on the board. We miss you.

Cypress - 12-19-2013 at 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
So sorry to hear about your fall Dennis... get well soon and get back on the board. We miss you.

I'll second that.

Fred - 12-19-2013 at 12:53 PM

Get well, buddy.

Fred

Lindalou - 12-19-2013 at 12:57 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy

...but Lulu might like him

Lulu has better taste then that.
 Pages:  1