BajaNomad

1000 mile mule ride

CaboDreamer - 12-16-2013 at 05:49 PM

Trudy Angel leads a group of four women on a thousand mile mule ride guided by Baja California Sur ranchero Nacho Chapa. Starting in Cabo San Lucas and ending in Tecate.

http://cabovision.tv/-/hidden-la-paz/12380-se-realiza-la-mul...

Mulegena - 12-16-2013 at 09:14 PM

This is wonderful what these strong Baja women are doing, so earnestly and without interest but simply a love and passion for their love of the land, people and animals they tend.

This beautiful peninsula has seen such love and creativity in the efforts of those who have passed this way, in the land that time has gently set aside and slowed down with echos of a past long-gone from other parts of this earth. These women hear that song.

With admiration I wish them a safe and hearty journey!

TMW - 12-17-2013 at 09:48 AM

50 days on the trail on a mule. I'm sore just thinking about it. I'll bet they will enjoy a hot bath at the end. It does make you wonder about the pioneers of yesterday as they traveled for months across a mostly unknown wilderness. I do wish them a safe trip.

shari - 12-17-2013 at 09:53 AM

you are so right Mulegena...these incredible women ARE that song and it resonates through them. I have so much respect and love for these "outback" ladies and would love to be riding with them...to see what they are seeing...live what they are living.

I am really enjoying their facebook postings and pictures.

Pompano - 12-17-2013 at 10:35 AM

Epic trip!

Those gals are in good hands. I first met Trudi in the 70's at Coyote Bay when she was working with Outward Bound/NOLS school for kayakers and outdoor expeditions. Going into the adventure business privately, Trudi's been doing mule and kayak trips out of Loreto for a long time since those early days. Always in love with Baja and very concerned with it's environments. The best expert & personality one can think of to lead a monumental trip like this.

Buena suerte, cinco señoras aventureras....and don't forget the loción. ;)

Cypress - 12-17-2013 at 01:08 PM

Once did an endurance ride on a high strung Arab gelding for 55 miles, took 8 hrs. Seven miles to go, the horse was pulling at the reigns and wanting to get it over with, the last three miles were at a full gallop. Felt like I'd been in a car wreck when it was over with.:D Next day. Good to go.:yes:

Pompano - 12-18-2013 at 10:57 AM

Aha! Took a while, but finally found a photo I meant to post. Shows Trudy Angel and an old time friend & neighbor, Tap Tapley. Both are veteran outdoor experts.

It will be great to read about that 1000 mile mule trip. Like Old Baja Times... keeping the adventures alive.

Baja Bucko - 12-20-2013 at 07:47 PM

I just finished the first half of La Mula Mil, riding from San Jose del Cabo to San Ignacio. After traveling Baja California for 40 years, it was incredible to see so much new country far from the usual roads. San Javier was one of my most special lifetime moments, sharing the moment in the Cabalgata, riding with the guys from the south, on a fine young 3 yr old mule with only 5 months of training and all his work done by 12 yr old Alejandro Romero of San Cosme on the gulf coast. Thank you for allowing me to be only the 2nd person on his back!

La Gente of Baja California are the real treasures of the peninsula!

I can't wait to get back in the saddle for the next half. It is going to be a COLD one.....it froze 3 nights ago at 1800' in the Guadalupes...:bounce:

Mulegena - 12-20-2013 at 08:00 PM

Great to hear from you, Baja Bucko!

Wow, you're half-done already? Hard to believe. You're really making some time and putting that beautiful mountain trail behind you.

Savoring every moment of the day knowing that you women are out there following your dreams and keeping the old ways of Baja alive.

David K - 12-20-2013 at 11:55 PM

Very cool Teddi... I hope we will read and see more of the adventure!