BajaNomad

Bay of LA Whales!

OCEANUS - 12-17-2013 at 12:22 AM

Please excuse the tardiness of this report.

We ventured down to our place in BOLA over the Thanksgiving week. For four days book-ending Thanksgiving we had perfect conditions on the water (which is saying something for this time of the year!) Throughout the bay, krill and small bait fish were being targeted by the largest grouping of fin back whales we have seen in a decade. We estimate there must have been about 40-50 whales working the areas between Isla Coronado and the South Bay.

The following link contains 200+ photos of our best show which occurred on the west end of Isla Cabeza de Caballo where a concentrated grouping of about 12 whales were bubble-netting in pairs, and scooping massive volumes of krill sometimes within 15 feet from the boat. Needless to say, this experience made a huge impact on our kids!

Enjoy!

https://bayoflathanksgivingwhales.shutterfly.com/

Paulina - 12-17-2013 at 08:57 AM

You have some amazing photos in that collection. Thank you for sharing them. It will be hard to beat that experience for your children.

P>*)))>{

24baja - 12-17-2013 at 04:11 PM

These are awesome and I can't wait to arrive in BOLA on Saturday!! Hope to hear the whales at night!!

David K - 12-17-2013 at 05:57 PM

Thanks for sharing your photos... I remember a finback out near Horsehead Island when 4baja took us out to Puerto Don Juan for some skin diving.

Wow- thanks for sharing- great photos!

Whale-ista - 12-17-2013 at 06:06 PM

what size boat were you in? Did they ever approach or show any interest in you? (I keep hoping the friendly behavior will show up in others besides the gray whale)

Ken Bondy - 12-17-2013 at 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Whale-ista
what size boat were you in? Did they ever approach or show any interest in you? (I keep hoping the friendly behavior will show up in others besides the gray whale)

Friendly fin whale encounter:
http://www.kenbondy.com/images//ProfessionalArticles/whale_e...

redhilltown - 12-18-2013 at 12:33 AM

Very very cool!!!! Thanks!

Skipjack Joe - 12-18-2013 at 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Bondy
Quote:

I had an encounter like that as well here in half moon bay. Mavericks, actually. Scared the bejeezus out of me.

Ken Bondy - 12-18-2013 at 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Quote:
Quote:

I had an encounter like that as well here in half moon bay. Mavericks, actually. Scared the bejeezus out of me.

Were they humpbacks? Not sure I know what a "maverick" is.

Skipjack Joe - 12-18-2013 at 08:00 AM

They were california grey whales, Ken.

Mavericks is the surfing spot. The reef was also a good fishing spot at the time. It's closed now as a marine preserve. Nobody surfed there in the 80's to my knowledge.

There were a group of sky hopping (?) whales at the reef that morning, so I went to investigate. An hour later one came over to investigate me. I've never felt more vulnerable in that small tin boat.

Ken Bondy - 12-18-2013 at 09:15 AM

Thanks for the clarification Igor! I was wondering if "maverick" was a kind of whale I hadn't heard of :)

I had an underwater encounter with a gray at Anacapa Island once IN AUGUST!! I know, he should have been in Alaska but there he/she was right next to me. It lasted several hours and for me it was pure magic:

DianaT - 12-18-2013 at 03:14 PM

What a great time --- thanks for sharing it.

monoloco - 12-18-2013 at 03:50 PM

Great stuff! Here's a link to some underwater perspectives of these animals:

http://www.oceanfootage.com/stockfootage/%22Fin_Whale%22

monoloco - 12-18-2013 at 03:51 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification Igor! I was wondering if "maverick" was a kind of whale I hadn't heard of :)

I had an underwater encounter with a gray at Anacapa Island once IN AUGUST!! I know, he should have been in Alaska but there he/she was right next to me. It lasted several hours and for me it was pure magic:

Ken, That's a beautiful shot! Do you have others?

Ken Bondy - 12-18-2013 at 05:20 PM

Here are a few more from that encounter:

Ken Bondy - 12-18-2013 at 05:33 PM

One more, taken by Michele Hall. The one with the big gray back is the whale. The one with the snorkel and the red drysuit back is me:

OCEANUS - 12-19-2013 at 08:17 AM

Quote:

We were in a 21 ft boat and the whales were really not that interested in us. In my experience, finbacks tend to be more timid and are hard to get close to because they will often sound when boats are approaching them.
We slowly motored to their general vicinity, cut the motor and enjoyed the show. Several times the whales were swimming underneath and feeding next to the boat, but it was not anintentional encounter as you might experience with the grey whales in Scammon's or elsewhere.