BajaNomad

Fishing can kill you

Osprey - 12-17-2013 at 12:00 PM

Fishing, the Silent Killer

As I come closer to the big 80 I am forced to change meds, make other changes in my life. I don’t get much exercise at all (I force myself to take a walk now and then) so I know I’m not treating my heart right.

There’s no gym in my village --- I know some of you will say “You don’t need a gym, there are plenty of exercises you can do to get your heart rate up”. I need a gym. I’m glad we don’t have one or I would have to go there and work out.

I don’t just sit and vegetate. I have an exercise program: I fish.

Once or twice a month I find a calm day and talk my Mexican pal into a half-day boat ride looking for mean and tasty fish in his small boat.

It usually means 6 to 7 hours sitting on the hard bench seats (I use 2 soft cushions) while we troll or mooch or fish the bottom. On a good day there is a break almost every hour when the reel alarms go off and my heart gets a nice 10 to 20 minute workout with the rod and reel. When this great healthy fun is over, I go back to my patio slouch mode, Bloody Mary in hand and hardly move again until the next outing.

I’m no doctor but I think most of them would call this routine The Widow Maker. My version, live or die, is Doing What I Like to Do interrupted by What I Like to Do Even More. I don’t need a prescription for this particular regimen

[Edited on 12-17-2013 by Osprey]

vandenberg - 12-17-2013 at 12:11 PM

Yeah George, it's a tough life and takes getting used to.
My right hand was getting over developed moving the PC mouse around, so, to compensate, I now only handle my drinks with my left.
Seems to work.:biggrin:

Cypress - 12-17-2013 at 01:00 PM

When you're fishing you're off the "clock", doesn't count/subtract from your allotted time in this world. Just sitting on the dock with a pole in your hands will add years to your lifespan.:D

bajabuddha - 12-17-2013 at 01:52 PM

I've always maintained a quote i heard years ago:
"The time a man (person) spends fishing should not be deducted from his (her) life".

I must concur. (*Political correctness reluctantly inserted*)

FISHING !

captkw - 12-17-2013 at 02:17 PM

CYPRESS has a clue on this one !!....WORK...."the downfall of the the fishing class"

Kgryfon - 12-18-2013 at 02:35 AM

WORK...."the downfall of the fishing class"

Love it!

Bubba - 12-18-2013 at 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Yeah George, it's a tough life and takes getting used to.
My right hand was getting over developed moving the PC mouse around, so, to compensate, I now only handle my drinks with my left.
Seems to work.:biggrin:

:lol::lol::lol:

Marc - 12-18-2013 at 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kgryfon
WORK...."the downfall of the fishing class"

Love it!

No. Actually the quote goes: WORK...the curse of drinking class:lol::lol:

Skipjack Joe - 12-18-2013 at 09:08 AM

Errr...... I think the fish is the only one getting the exercise.

Frank - 12-18-2013 at 10:38 AM

I'd say your about even George. You should tip the odds in your favor and fish more!

bajabuddha - 12-18-2013 at 10:04 PM

(Personally, i think there's a lot more ppl on this site that should spend more time fishing and less time typinng, YOURS PERSONALLY AT THE FRONT OF THE LINE{so to speak})

Whale-ista - 12-18-2013 at 10:32 PM

A successful businessman once traveled to Baja for vacation and saw a man fishing on the beach near his hotel. He asked him what he was doing and the man said just fishing for fun, and for dinner, and enjoying the view.

The businessman said "you've got to think bigger. There's a lot of fish in this part of the ocean. You could fish all day and have enough to sell to other people. Then you can employee other people to fish for you. Then you can export fish to other places and create a big business."

The fisherman thought of this for a while. Then he asked,"and what happens next?"

The businessman smiled. "Then you work hard and create a successful business and make a lot of money."

"And then?" Asked the fisherman.

"Then you can sell your business to someone else, and retire," explained the businessman, growing impatient.

"And then?" Ask the fisherman.

"Then you can do anything you want" exclaimed the businessman, exasperated.

The fisherman nodded, and was quiet for a minute, then smiled and said "thank you sir, but I already am."

[Edited on 12-19-2013 by Whale-ista]

Casey67 - 12-18-2013 at 11:11 PM

Do you think the Andrea Gail had a bumper sticker that said 'A bad day fishing beats a good day working'? :)