BajaNomad

Loreto

wakemall - 12-21-2013 at 05:52 AM

Are there any recent fishing reports for Loreto?

Bob and Susan - 12-21-2013 at 06:04 AM

its a week old...
http://www.wonews.com/t-BajaFishingReport_Wade_121913.aspx

— LORETO: It's was blowing week, with only fair conditions this past Wednesday but getting rocked with drags cranked past maximum is a sure way to get the local fishing crowd into a frenzy. The next time there are a few smooth days … Christmas Day or not, you can bet the locals will be looking into that story.

“Sportfishing has been slow due to the holidays coming and only days away,” Rick Hill of Loreto Sea and Land Eco Tours said. “I am hoping shoppers are stocking up on hooks, swivels and sinkers as the story continues to be focused on close to town action because it's quick and easy.”

“Dorado and sierra have been hitting slow trolling surface lures, with the smallest dark purple and silver flash out fishing everything else we tried,” Hill said. “Closer to shore cabrilla can still be found, with most being caught between El Bajo and San Bruno, north of Loreto. Try the 6-inch jointed plugs in black and white fished on light line.”

“Several boats also found limits of shallow water rockfish just west of Tinturara on Carmen before the wind blew them off the water,” Hill said. “They landed some of the biggest whitefish I have seen in recent years. The reds have been huge as well. There’s nothing like 4- to5-pound rockfish on light line (20-pound being the maximum).”

“When the winter winds settles down I will bet we will be seeing more boats going out further for the bigger yellowtail,” Hill said. “Last year the big yellowtail were being landed 35 miles north at Pulpito and even a little farther at Idelfonso Island. The next big bite looks to be happening the same distance, but south of Loreto at Santa Cruz Island.”

Hill said that Ed Hoffman from Tripui reports that last week's wahoo boat (Baja Quest) tried Santa Cruz and got rocked, with half pulled out of the boat by every yellowtail that bit. “At least they are calling the attackers yellows, but none of them hit the deck,” he said.