BajaNomad

TSA pre-check and Sentri pass?

EnsenadaDr - 12-21-2013 at 10:10 AM

I heard that the Sentri pass would expedite security at airports, and it appears maybe that might be true. I was given the TSA pre-check throughout my entire airport experience these last few weeks and wondered if that was the reason. But no one seemed to know what the Sentri pass was when I asked the Homeland security agents at the airport.

DawnPatrol - 12-21-2013 at 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
I heard that the Sentri pass would expedite security at airports, and it appears maybe that might be true. I was given the TSA pre-check throughout my entire airport experience these last few weeks and wondered if that was the reason. But no one seemed to know what the Sentri pass was when I asked the Homeland security agents at the airport.

I think you will only find that the major international airports have the sentri kiosks for passport entry into the US to bypass the passport/immigration lines and are familiar only to the US Customs agents

I have seen the kiosks at LAX and JFK, I am sure they are in others

The TSA people wont be familiar with them IMO , especially if the airport you are in doesn't have a Sentri Kiosk and they dont work in that area anyways

I came into San Diego from Cabo a couple years ago and their small customs area did not have a Sentri kiosk

Pacifico - 12-21-2013 at 11:58 AM

Quote:

Here is what I have learned:

The PASSID # on the back of your Sentri card is is your "known traveler" or "trusted traveler" number that gives you the TSA Precheck privledges at the airports. When you purchase your airline ticket, this # must be entered at that time so that "TSA Precheck" is shown on your boarding pass.

The Global Entry kiosks use your passport to identify you if you are in the system. I don't think they will take your Sentri card. I have used these kiosks in Phoenix, Houston, and Miami. There are probably at least 12-15 international airports that have them. I think all the major ones do, anyways.

When my wife and I did our Sentri interview, the agent went through our passports and saw that we go to other countries other than just Mexico. So, she entered us into the Global Entry/ trusted traveler program as well. No additional cost and it has been great! I've used it several times now and have yet to use my Sentri card because I am either towing or have others with me that don't have Sentri cards.

CortezBlue - 12-21-2013 at 08:58 PM

you need to follow the directions

you need to find an airline that supports the program

you need to register with the airlines

fyi, it is a US program

Marc - 12-21-2013 at 10:37 PM

I have a TSA walkthrough. Saves some time & I don't have to remove the shoes.

dasubergeek - 12-21-2013 at 11:45 PM

You do NOT need to enroll with the airlines. Just put your PASSID number in the Known Traveler Number slot when you buy a ticket (or update your online frequent flyer profiles to do it for you automatically).

You're never guaranteed expedited security, but I've only been rejected once out of a zillion flights.

Global Entry does not use your SENTRI card; it's just a flag on your passport record. You walk up to the Global Entry booth (do try not to blow raspberries at the poor schlubs in the long regular line), scan your passport, then answer the questions that you would normally write on the customs declaration card they distribute on the plane, and get a card printed out. You hand it to the guard (there will be a short line for this) and you are either sent on your way or referred to an agent for manual processing.

The reason they don't know what SENTRI is? It's only for the Mexican land (and technically sea) crossing, not airports. If you called it "Global Entry" you'd be better understood.

Last point: you can use your SENTRI card in the NEXUS lanes when driving TO the United States FROM Canada. You just can't use the NEXUS lanes northbound into Canada, because you haven't been vetted by the Canadian government. If you're flying back, though, use the Global Entry kiosks, not the NEXUS kiosks.

55steve - 12-22-2013 at 12:14 AM

My SENTRI doesn't get me Global Entry but my wife has it on hers. I was told that I need to bring my passport down to the office at SY and they will scan it and add Global Entry.

aguachico - 12-22-2013 at 08:01 AM

TSA prechecks were added to the trusted travelers recently. It enables you to add the number to participating airlines and keeps you from undressing in front of the TSA clerks. Not to be confused with Global entry which allows you to use the Pilots line while returning from international flights.

They are two different programs. You should make an appointment to your Sentri office and have it added to your passport.

I was there on Friday for a renewal appointment which ran 2 hours late because of staffing issues.

On another note - Sentri, like the DMV process people as fast as they can. Like a machine they handle 100's of people a day. I watched one Chilango couple and another rich pe-rr-a gringa have hissy fits while in Sentri. I have two friends that work in that office and they couldn't be nicer people if they tried. I have been to Sentri 4 times this year. Sometimes you are in and out quickly, other times not so fast. Plan accordingly. Have patience and imagine life in the regular lane.

JZ - 12-22-2013 at 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DawnPatrol
Quote:

I think you will only find that the major international airports have the sentri kiosks for passport entry into the US to bypass the passport/immigration lines and are familiar only to the US Customs agents

I have seen the kiosks at LAX and JFK, I am sure they are in others

T

More and more are adding it. Austin has it for a couple months. Love Field is adding it now. So, it's not just the big ones.

If you fly a lot your airline will sponsor you for it and you don't need to even sign up. Delta did this for me. Makes things fast at LAX.

[Edited on 12-22-2013 by JZ]

dasubergeek - 12-23-2013 at 12:05 AM

Actually these days they're trying to drum up business in TSA Pre Check, so people who aren't members through one program or another will occasionally get a random draw that permits them to use it. Really gums up the works, grumble snarf.

EnsenadaDr - 12-23-2013 at 05:11 PM

Well first I thought it was a negative thing, but it actually expedites things tremendously, They did wipe my hands down and test for explosives though as I walked through. Surprise surprise!!