BajaNomad

Baja safety & crime circa 2013?

aster - 12-28-2013 at 03:27 PM

Just trying to get a sense of y'alls honest opinions on crime as it currently stands in Baja. Stateside all we hear about Mexico is pretty much a steady stream of cartel violence, kidnappings, armed robbery, etc - obviously while there are still some very dangerous spots in the country I'm guessing that stereotype does other areas (like Baja) a disservice. On another travel forum I was warned not to take our Jeep down there next month as "drug runners are taking 4WD vehicles at gunpoint left & right".

So where does the truth lay currently?

We'll be down there before long and I'm trying to get a handle on best practices for safety. Right now I've just got a few via friends who've spent time there:

-Don't drive at night due to borrachos and animals on the road
-Stuff left unsecured at a campsite or in-vehicle is liable to walk away (not sure if this applies to hotel rooms too?)
-Stop signs are yield signs in practice
-Occasional shakedowns from traffic cops & such
-We've got a "Club" for our steering wheel, I know this isn't really that effective a deterrent and am even wondering if it'd just draw attention to our vehicle, worth bringing?

Any other tips for a couple gringos driving south for the first time?

I've lived in cities with rough neighborhoods and get the whole "keep your wits about you" concept, but it's been probably 7 years since I've been to Mexico (and then the Yucatan) so we're simply not sure what to expect nowadays...

[Edited on 12-28-2013 by aster]

Osprey - 12-28-2013 at 03:56 PM

Aster, if you let us know where in Mexico you're planning to visit, we can be of more help. Like if you just said Michigan, we might ask: "Detroit or somewhere near Muscrat Breath Lake Lodge by Lake Comenseeme". See the diff? That holds true for a lot of places including Baja and Mexico.

aster - 12-28-2013 at 04:06 PM

Duly noted Osprey!

We plan to head down to San Quintin for a night and then spend the bulk of the trip in Mulege & Bahia Concepcion, maybe a visit to Loreto in there too.

Were going to just cross in TJ and go south on 1, however I'm quite glad I just clicked on the road collapse thread! Looks like Tecate and 3 is where it's at for the time being.

David K - 12-28-2013 at 06:20 PM

If Baja was such a dangerous and terrible place to travel in... how do you explain web sites like Baja Nomad? I mean nobody would want to go if it was truly that way.

I have been going to Baja on my own since I was 16 (1974, Spring Break) and before then with my folks... always to remote destinations, off the beaten track, and have NEVER had any problems. Every city in the world has crime, so my answer is to not vacation or camp in a city... any country...

BigOly - 12-28-2013 at 06:28 PM

I's like anywhere on earth. Be aware of your surroundings and don't give opportunity to the scum of the world. Most people are gooood people.

monoloco - 12-28-2013 at 08:18 PM

Be careful camping between San Quintin and El Rosario, there have been many incidents in that area.

apple - 12-29-2013 at 03:54 PM

We use the Club in our car religiously. It's not going to keep a thief at bay for hours, but just a few extra minutes will make a thief a lot less eager to mess with our car and they'll be likely to move on to easier prey.

We've been in La Paz for the past year and have traveled and camped around Baja Sur a bunch in that time and only problem we had was when we left our car overnight with a window open enough for someone to get an arm in and unlock it and steal a little change and a flashlight. Other than that, trouble with anyone at all.

Marc - 12-29-2013 at 06:52 PM

The Cops are the biggest problem.

bajarich - 12-29-2013 at 09:40 PM

Cross early in the day, drive as far south as San Quintin and camp at Celito Lindo or El Pabillon campgrounds, or continue to Catavina and camp at Rancho Santa Inez. Do not beach camp in the San Quintin area, especially along the beaches south of San Quintin.

I have always felt that the odds of having a bad traffic accident are much greater that the odds of suffering at the hand of drug lords. Dive safely!

David K - 12-29-2013 at 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajarich
Cross early in the day, drive as far south as San Quintin and camp at Celito Lindo or El Pabillon campgrounds, or continue to Catavina and camp at Rancho Santa Inez. Do not beach camp in the San Quintin area, especially along the beaches south of San Quintin.

I have always felt that the odds of having a bad traffic accident are much greater that the odds of suffering at the hand of drug lords. Dive safely!

I don't understand... you advise to camp at Cielito Lindo or El Pabellon (both just south of San Quintin), then say NOT to beach camp in San Quintin area especially just south of... ???

bajarich - 12-30-2013 at 09:53 AM

I have always camped at El Pabillon and Celito Lindo and never had a problem but have heard stories about the dangers of beach camping outside of established camping areas. There is also the Old Mill in San Quintin. Many years ago we used to beach camp north of San Quintin at Punta San Jacinto. The last time I was there it had grown into a high security fenced enclave, indicating that crime might be a problem. Maybe you have more knowledge of the area than me, I have only gone on recommendations of other Baja campers i have met in my 20 years of Baja travel.

Pescador - 12-30-2013 at 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc

I hate blanket statements like this one. For every cop who takes a little mordida, there are 50 or 100 cops who go out of there way to provide assistance.

I never cease to be amazed at the number or tourists who come to Mexico (especially younger people) who truly work at looking like the dregs of American Society with dreadlocks, never wearing a shirt in public, and drinking open containers of beer as they walk down the street, and then wondering why they get singled out by the cops for "special treatment". Perhaps things are a little more basic down here and they still "profile" people by how they look. Imagine that.

David K - 12-30-2013 at 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajarich
I have always camped at El Pabillon and Celito Lindo and never had a problem but have heard stories about the dangers of beach camping outside of established camping areas. There is also the Old Mill in San Quintin. Many years ago we used to beach camp north of San Quintin at Punta San Jacinto. The last time I was there it had grown into a high security fenced enclave, indicating that crime might be a problem. Maybe you have more knowledge of the area than me, I have only gone on recommendations of other Baja campers i have met in my 20 years of Baja travel.

Thank you, so you recommend no 'open camping' in the area, but okay inside campgrounds (like at Pabellon, Cielito Lindo, Los Olivos, Posada Don Diego, etc.) no problema. :light:

bajarich - 12-30-2013 at 09:39 PM

Yes, although I'm not familiar the the others you mentioned, but I'll take your word that they are safe. Perhaps we'll stay at one of them for a new experience.

David K - 12-30-2013 at 11:44 PM

They have web sites and their owners are Nomads (but not posting much).

Los Olivos is next door to Baja Jardines Motel & Restaurant, about Km. 1-2 just south of San Quintin where the highway narrows.

Posada Don Diego is on the south side of Colonia V. Guerrero and a mile west of Hwy. 1 near the propane distributor at the top of the rise.

El Pabellon

tortuga - 12-31-2013 at 05:23 AM

We also like to stay there. We have never had any problems there. There is a 24 hr Pemex right there as well. Gizmo loves the beach !

DSCF5601 - Copy [640x480].JPG - 44kB

nbacc - 12-31-2013 at 08:31 AM

Oh... do stop at the stop signs as it is not counted as a yield to a cop who stops you. Nancy

dtutko1 - 12-31-2013 at 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by aster
Just trying to get a sense of y'alls honest opinions on crime as it currently stands in Baja. Stateside all we hear about Mexico is pretty much a steady stream of cartel violence, kidnappings, armed robbery, etc - obviously while there are still some very dangerous spots in the country I'm guessing that stereotype does other areas (like Baja) a disservice. On another travel forum I was warned not to take our Jeep down there next month as "drug runners are taking 4WD vehicles at gunpoint left & right".

So where does the truth lay currently?

We'll be down there before long and I'm trying to get a handle on best practices for safety. Right now I've just got a few via friends who've spent time there:

-Stuff left unsecured at a campsite or in-vehicle is liable to walk away (not sure if this applies to hotel rooms too?)
-Occasional shakedowns from traffic cops & such
-We've got a "Club" for our steering wheel, I know this isn't really that effective a deterrent and am even wondering if it'd just draw attention to our vehicle, worth bringing?

Any other tips for a couple gringos driving south for the first time?

I've lived in cities with rough neighborhoods and get the whole "keep your wits about you" concept, but it's been probably 7 years since I've been to Mexico (and then the Yucatan) so we're simply not sure what to expect nowadays...

[Edited on 12-28-2013 by aster]

Down here in TS, Pescadero we see little to no cartel violence, kidnappings etc. We see lots of theft. Everyday things are stolen in the neighborhoods. Don't leave anything of value unlocked or unattended. Thievery on many levels from flip flops to ATVs. Do not let your guard down. Get or bring a dog that barks.

SlyOnce - 12-31-2013 at 11:56 AM

I live in Playas de Tijuana and travel up and down the coast to Ensenada, and throughout TJ. I've never been a victim of a crime in MX. Playas itself is very safe and I do not feel at risk from the police here. I do not feel at risk from police in the other cities, although I feel I need to be super careful in downtown TJ around Centro. There was a drug related murder and also a high profile kidnapping here in Playas this year. TJ, Playas, Rosarito and Ensenada are not overly dangerous from cartel violence at this time.

Most of the Army checkpoints on the road have been closed (they are open at sporadic, random, times).

There is a very strong social pressure to make northern Baja safe for the return of tourists. There are special tourist police and you may call 078 at any time and (in English) request help, even when stopped by regular police.

My novia and I walk on the beach in Playas at midnight, drink coffee in coffee shops on the malecon, and watch all the kids playing. We launched "globos de cantoya" hot air balloons chineese lanterns for Christmas along with about 1500 other people. There is nothing to fear, here at least.

Take normal precautions - Lock car with closed windows. Cover valuables. I don't have a club but I do have a hidden kill switch.

Crooked cop in San Quintin who wanted my Jeep

Ken Cooke - 1-1-2014 at 09:55 PM

In 2008 at the end of the Baja Grande event I hosted, I came upon a road block just south of San Quintin. The Officer in charge asked me to get out of my Jeep. When he saw that the 7 vehicles behind me did not drive past me, he asked, "Are those vehicles with you?" When I said, "Yes, they are." He said, "You can get in your Jeep (and go)."

Hmmmmmm.....:rolleyes:

Martyman - 1-2-2014 at 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc

My problems have all been cop related. Cops see California plates and $'s as one. It is not 1 bad cop for every 50 either. I'm guessing 1 in 5.

DavidE - 1-2-2014 at 02:57 PM

IMHO,

Aster, you listed a good deal of common sense precautions. That's all that's needed, really. Ask about specific areas on this forum. People who live there or visit often will give you solid gold information. Mexican families are also a great source of local information, restaurants, gas stations, hotels.

Caution is needed on the Pacific Coast as far south as El Rosario. Camping with 2-3 other camps within a hundred fifty feet distance is wise. The other place is near La Paz. It's a good size city, a transportation hub and well, maybe camping would be nicer just a bit south.

About cops. Folks, stop sometime would you, in Constituction, or Tecate, and watch gringos pass through. Stay a half hour and watch an intersection (stop signs are best), know the speed limit, then flat out sit there and watch. The cops tell me they get tired of it. This starts the first link in the predatory chain.

Exaggerate stops. LOOK FOR SPEED LIMIT SIGNS and obey them. Yeah the locals will swirl around you going faster, just like they do in the USA and I will be damned in traffic court if I ever heard a US judge let someone off when they wailed "I was just keeping up with traffic".

very true !!

captkw - 1-2-2014 at 03:51 PM

I 2nd what monoloco states..well known and not a area to camp alone....many,,many problems with the influx of ag. guys from the mainland.......

sancho - 1-2-2014 at 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by aster

Stop signs as yield signs, that is ONLY for Mex Nationals,
just be sure the driver behind you is prepared to
stop, drive the posted speed limit, sometimes it is posted absurdly
low, the idea of 4 wheel vehicles as targets for theft
has historically SOME validity. Been going to Mex since
the early 80's, I've never met anyone who was a victim
of crime other than an item taken from a campsite
at nite, but the occasional incident does happen. I wouldn't leave something of value in a US Hotel
room , ditto for Mex. The Cartel violence is
them doing their own in, not aimed at Joe Gringo Tourist

[Edited on 1-2-2014 by sancho]

David K - 1-2-2014 at 04:22 PM

Sometimes it is the tourist who just gets stupid when they cross into Mexico... Doing things they know they shouldn't do or wouldn't do back home. Spring Break activity comes to mind.

All cities have crime... I can't think of a day on local television when there isn't robberies and murders here in San Diego and L.A. part of California. Yet, when nothing or almost nothing ever happens to an American, all year long, in Mexico, we hear about how dangerous Mexico is and we are crazy to go there! LOL you are crazy to go to the mall in San Diego's Mission Valley (where a young couple was shot to death in the parking lot on Christmas Eve)!

If the daily crime in America doesn't keep you locked inside 24/7, then the crime against Americans in Baja will be almost like something seen in a Disney Movie! It is safer to be out of any city and enjoying the great outdoors with family and friends! I prefer being in Baja and I am not going to let the ******* media keep me from doing what I love!

baconjr - 1-5-2014 at 06:26 PM

We have a place that is off the grid and remote. We have a constant problem with this cowboy that keeps breaking in and now has caused some real damage beside taking things. We have beefed up security and now have someone there at all times. He is known in the area for his antics. We are currently offering a reward for the return of our stuff and also for turning him in. By the way his name is Walter Martinez, tall slim, speaks good English and is seen around Maneadero.

No problems with the authorities. It helps to speak the language when dealing with the police but for the most part they try to help. Also Keep your money in your boot and always have a spare tire.

Unlike the US our only option may be a dog

durrelllrobert - 1-7-2014 at 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtutko1

. Do not let your guard down. Get or bring a dog that barks.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/w8Sbf_piIQQ?feature=player_deta...