BajaNomad

Freezer Yellowtail Recipes...gettin time

redhilltown - 1-3-2014 at 12:36 AM

Have some Yellowtail in the freezer I really need to get to...it was well wrapped (skin on of course) and frozen in Baja but...it has been a few months.

Anyone have some thoughts on recipes?

mulegejim - 1-3-2014 at 03:41 AM

TUNA/YELLOWTAIL FILET MIGNON

8 yellowfin tuna or yellowtail steaks, one inch thick
½ cup vegetable oil
¼ cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
one clove garlic, minced
bacon slices

Trim out bone and all dark red meat. Wrap each steak with bacon and secure with a toothpick.

Combine oil, lemon juice, Worcestershire, and garlic. Marinate steaks in single layer for one hour – turn after about ½ hour.

Barbeque over high heat five minutes – turn and grill five minutes more or until fish flakes easily in center when pierced with a fork.

Note: I drizzle some of the remaining marinate over the steaks just before turning and just before removing from the barbeque – it will flame up and leave a nice finish.

Lotsa YT recipes on these sites

durrelllrobert - 1-3-2014 at 10:09 AM

www.yummly.com/recipes/yellowtail-fish‎

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&a...

[Edited on 1-3-2014 by durrelllrobert]

weebray - 1-3-2014 at 11:27 AM

Forget all those recipes. Your fish is MUCH older than you think it is. Just like the freezers of a thousand other overfishermen that could not resist the drug of catching. Oh, they're going to get on here and tell you how they only eat what they catch and they carefully wrap them in expensive unobtainium paper that keeps it fresh for years. You can try to sauce it or BBQ it or whatever but in the end it's bait. Try to get your dog to eat it. I wish you could stand at the airport in Cabo and watch the thousands of pounds of marine life flying back to the freezers of 'merica. How do I know this is true? I, and my friends, have been there.

woody with a view - 1-3-2014 at 12:56 PM

actually, we vacuum seal our catch(es) in portion sizes and fill the freezer. we even turn on friends who we know don't get to eat enough good fish. long story short, i found a sealed bag of tuna that had a date 2 years previous and when i opened it it looked, smelled and tasted as good as the day it went in the bag.

it costs a little more and takes some effort but vacuum sealing your catch is well worth it.

durrelllrobert - 1-3-2014 at 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
actually, we vacuum seal our catch(es) in portion sizes and fill the freezer. we even turn on friends who we know don't get to eat enough good fish. long story short, i found a sealed bag of tuna that had a date 2 years previous and when i opened it it looked, smelled and tasted as good as the day it went in the bag.

it costs a little more and takes some effort but vacuum sealing your catch is well worth it.
I found out the hard way that vacuum sealing UNPEELED shrimp is a waste of time/ money because the tails have sharp barbs that puncture the bag.

acadist - 1-3-2014 at 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by weebray
Forget all those recipes. Your fish is MUCH older than you think it is. Just like the freezers of a thousand other overfishermen that could not resist the drug of catching. Oh, they're going to get on here and tell you how they only eat what they catch and they carefully wrap them in expensive unobtainium paper that keeps it fresh for years. You can try to sauce it or BBQ it or whatever but in the end it's bait. Try to get your dog to eat it. I wish you could stand at the airport in Cabo and watch the thousands of pounds of marine life flying back to the freezers of 'merica. How do I know this is true? I, and my friends, have been there.

Nice glass house :light:

redhilltown - 1-3-2014 at 05:35 PM

Yikes!

Thanks for the ideas on recipes from you sane folk and as to Mr High Horse:

For the most part I only eat fish that I have caught and I eat every single last bit of it...partly because I do not eat red meat and very little chicken...it is important to me...and I DO wrap it very very well and freeze it down in Baja...this past weekend in Saline Valley I had a piece of Leopard Grouper from the same trip and it was AS GOOD as any piece of fish I have ever eaten because of the care taken to preserve it (ok...and the masterful job of cooking it...ahem).

Which isn't to say Mr. High Horse, that you have a point and how disgusting it is to see people rape the ocean and then let it frost away in the freezer only to be thrown out. You should save your comments for some of obscene posts on Bloodydecks and not go off half c-cked on someone who is a responsible fisherman...you chose the wrong person for your High Horse tirade.

Pacifico - 1-3-2014 at 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by weebray

Maybe back when everyone used ziplocks for storing their fish. Fish packaged properly with a vacumn packer is a different story.