BajaNomad

Accidents between El Rosario and Cataviņa:What to Do?

Marla Daily - 1-3-2014 at 09:28 AM

How does one whistle up Desert Hawks ambulance or get help in the event of an accident on Highway 1 between El Rosario and Cataviņa?

A few years ago we came upon a single car accident north of Cataviņa with two college students in it. The car had rolled 4-5 times. Both kids survived with fairly minor injuries. We bandaged them as best we could, loaded them into our camper, and drove them to medical help. We stopped at the closest roadside ranch only to learn their radio was not working. Where are there reliable communication points between El Rosario and Cataviņa?

With 68 accidents in which Desert Hawks provided assistance in 2013, there must be a way to reach them. What a remarkable service!

TMW - 1-3-2014 at 10:19 AM

I think you would have to make a decision based on where the accident is. If close to Catavina the police or the hotel could contact emergency services. If further north you would probably need to go to El Rosario. I seem to recall that there is an emergency ambulance service at the PEMEX station.

FYI the restaurant just south of the Chapala/Cocos turn off on Hwy 1 has a sat. phone as does the impound yard on the SE corner of the LA Bay turn off.

David K - 1-3-2014 at 10:28 AM

I think Rancho Descanso has a phone... about midway between El Rosario and Cataviņa... There are signs at the ranches that have the emergency phone available. Not sure, but guess it is a satellite phone since the fiber optic cable that runs along Hwy. 1 needs a hub to plug into. El Rosario needs to use the San Quintin hub (that's why there is a phone line to El Rosario... the end of the line!).

shari - 1-3-2014 at 11:58 AM

In the event of an accident out in the boonies, we always flag down the first semi truck (they usually stop anyway) as they are equipped with radios and can radio for assistance...or buses as well.

We have a 2 meter radio for emergencies as well. It would be great to have the numbers or frequencies Desert Hawk stands by on.

woody with a view - 1-3-2014 at 12:45 PM

the guy at the turn to LA Bay who sells gas told me when i asked about his radio, that everyone along the road has a radio. he said he can talk to san quintin!

Baja Bucko - 1-3-2014 at 03:01 PM

I have a 2 meter radio in my truck just for use in remote Mexico. I presently have the frequencies for numerous ranches in the SSF and Sierra de Guadalupe and I am working to gather up more PLUS updating my ham license so I can talk to GOD:lol:....or Wild Bill.

Ham is the way to go....

woody with a view - 1-3-2014 at 03:07 PM

agreed, but i only have vhf onboard and in the truck. cb is out....

edit: isn't there "telefono rural" (satellite?) sign near the turn to Catarina/Guayaquil? I know there is another south of Catavina.

[Edited on 1-3-2014 by woody with a view]

David K - 1-3-2014 at 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
agreed, but i only have vhf onboard and in the truck. cb is out....

edit: isn't there "telefono rural" (satellite?) sign near the turn to Catarina/Guayaquil? I know there is another south of Catavina.

[Edited on 1-3-2014 by woody with a view]

See my reply just above from 9:28am, perhaps what you saw, too?

durrelllrobert - 1-3-2014 at 05:58 PM

Mexican drivers , including state police and green angels, will usually stop to help but not to many gringos.

David K - 1-3-2014 at 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
Mexican drivers , including state police and green angels, will usually stop to help but not to many gringos.

Bob, do you think that might have to do with the horror stories on the U.S. news (banditos, etc.) which scares tourists to stop out in the desert and help? The fake car breakdown robbery scenario has been posted here even, where one stops only to get jumped by people hiding in the bushes. I think that gringos are being safe instead of sorry more than being 'bad' humans?

StuckSucks - 1-3-2014 at 06:10 PM

I saw this solo truck accident between El Rosario and Cataviņa. It appeared the guy drifted off the pavement and then physics kicked in. The occupants didn't appear to have any injuries.

watizname - 1-3-2014 at 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Bucko
I have a 2 meter radio in my truck just for use in remote Mexico. I presently have the frequencies for numerous ranches in the SSF and Sierra de Guadalupe and I am working to gather up more PLUS updating my ham license so I can talk to GOD:lol:....or Wild Bill.

Ham is the way to go....

Damn, I'd love to talk to Wild Bill.:cool:

David K - 1-3-2014 at 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by watizname
Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Bucko

Ham is the way to go....

Damn, I'd love to talk to Wild Bill.:cool:

He is a moderator on Fred Metcalf's message board, and just posted about the Toll Road detour the other day: http://math.ucr.edu/~ftm/bajaPages/MsgBoard/MsgBoard.html