BajaNomad

bicyiclists

chumlee57 - 1-3-2014 at 10:30 PM

OK, I know I'm going to get murdered for this, but, has anyone else other than me noticed that for some reason or other, bicycling the carraterra has become a rather popular sport. Last year we saw a family cruising south on tandum bikes, as in two young children maybe 6 & 8 ( not sure ) riding the rear seats. Just got back from a week or so from the Mulege area and it seems that this is becoming a more popular thing to do. I've been traveling the penninsula for over 30 years, and although the roads have never been better, I am very curious who and what internet boards ( if any ) would suggest that this would be an adventure. From a basic intelligent standpoint, I am interested to get a pulse from this board on what people think about this, again, this is not a popular subject to blast ( riding bikes to save the envoirnment ) but this is a disaster waiting to happen, we will soon hear of a major disaster, not because of anyones fault, but due to circumstances on sections of the road

David K - 1-4-2014 at 12:32 AM

Not new, but highly dangerous where the highway has no shoulders (much of it south of San Quintin)!

Book published in 1988 by Sunbelt.

Bob H - 1-4-2014 at 12:35 AM

They seem to be in the way, at times. But, biking MX-1 is dangerous!

Mula - 1-4-2014 at 06:36 AM

I too am amazed that we never hear of accidents involving bicyclists.

And can't imagine a worse vacation - bicycling for 1200 miles.

And the health hazard for the kids in the little low trailers - right at exhaust level.

What are the parents thinking?

JohnMcfrog - 1-4-2014 at 08:21 AM

When I was coming back to SD from Baja Sur the second week in December, noticed an increased number of bicyclists on highway 1. Was out in the desert before Catavina and starting to fade a bit in alertness for some reason. Then, up ahead saw a tractor trailer rig opting to make a pass around some bicycling pilgrims a few football fields ahead. I slowed down almost to a stop as the quick turn by the trucker started to swing the trailer around. I had no more problems keeping awake the next 7 hours.

I'm a mountain and road biker, but think that is kind of selfish for someone to ride on highway 1. The mix of 2 lanes, trucks and bikes is not a good thing.

rts551 - 1-4-2014 at 08:28 AM

There have been accidents. Year before last I stopped to help a where a van hit a cargo van head-on in an arroyo (surprised by a group of bicyclists). The federal HWY police were questioning the bicyclists about impeding the flow of traffic.

mtgoat666 - 1-4-2014 at 09:14 AM

slow down and share the road!

rts551 - 1-4-2014 at 09:33 AM

blind curves, arroyos, no shoulder....makes it difficult to share the road at any speed.

Phil S - 1-4-2014 at 09:58 AM

Aaarrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhh !!!!!!!!!!!!

Phil S - 1-4-2014 at 10:05 AM

There must be a new generation of 'parenting out there these days. Because there would be NO way in hell I'd take MY kids bike riding on that 'death trap' for bicycling. With or without kids. Maybe I'm getting too old to be driving it now at 79 years of age. But with over 25 years of driving hwy 1 & sometimes twice in one year to the Loreto area, everytime I come upon riders, my blood pressure increases. WTH are they thinking?????? When we drive our automobiles down there, we have to have insurance. I'd be a mite surprised if anyone on a bike has any insurance in case they cause an accident that would involve an expensive motorhome that swerved to miss them & wiped out a bus load of passengers? But I've not heard of any deaths of either riders, or cars because of their being 'out there'
I'm again' it.

Ateo - 1-4-2014 at 10:18 AM

While taking the libre road the other day after the toll road collapse we came around a corner to see 2 bicyclists climbing a steep section, trailed by a big rig and a line of about 100 cars behind them. Traffic was moving slow at about 1 mph. I just thought "rude".

durrelllrobert - 1-4-2014 at 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil S
There must be a new generation of 'parenting out there these days. Because there would be NO way in hell I'd take MY kids bike riding on that 'death trap' for bicycling. With or without kids. Maybe I'm getting too old to be driving it now at 79 years of age. But with over 25 years of driving hwy 1 & sometimes twice in one year to the Loreto area, everytime I come upon riders, my blood pressure increases. WTH are they thinking?????? When we drive our automobiles down there, we have to have insurance. I'd be a mite surprised if anyone on a bike has any insurance in case they cause an accident that would involve an expensive motorhome that swerved to miss them & wiped out a bus load of passengers? But I've not heard of any deaths of either riders, or cars because of their being 'out there'
I'm again' it.
Plus the taxes we pay on gasoline are used to maintain the highways, at least in the USA. How much gasoline does a bike rider use? We motorists are paying for their "RIGHT" to use our highways.

willardguy - 1-4-2014 at 10:53 AM

and when you finally pass em, they look at you like YOU did something wrong! yup, very distracting;D

KurtG - 1-4-2014 at 11:03 AM

I have met many bicyclists over the years who were riding Baja. Good folks having a good adventure. In November we were camped at Los Petates in San Ignacio and there were about a dozen riders, not riding together but who happened to be in the same spot for a few days. None were from US or Mexico. Argentina, Spain, Germany, Britain, Switzerland and Portugal were all represented. They all said that they tried to not impede traffic and that the Mexican drivers including trucks and buses were courteous. As a motorcyclist I have learned that Mexicans admire those with an adventurist spirit. I have read a lot of negative comments about bicyclist on Mexican highways but I won't join in.

LancairDriver - 1-4-2014 at 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil S
I'd be a mite surprised if anyone on a bike has any insurance in case they cause an accident that would involve an expensive motorhome that swerved to miss them & wiped out a bus load of passengers?

Best policy- Program your mind to automatically take the path of least resistance in any situation whatever your mode of transportation. In this case it's not the Bus.

mtgoat666 - 1-4-2014 at 08:52 PM

Here is a Baja road biking video travelogue for you cranky armchair travelers
http://youtu.be/7-vkKrmrf-w

[Edited on 1-5-2014 by mtgoat666]

thanks for posting, I liked the music...

Whale-ista - 1-4-2014 at 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Here is a Baja road biking video travelogue for you cranky armchair travelers
http://youtu.be/7-vkKrmrf-w

Brave soul- he looked like he was having fun.

But...no helmet? I suppose that's the least of your concerns if you're sharing the road with large vehicles...

Lee - 1-4-2014 at 09:38 PM

Hgwy 1 should be closed to bicyclists. They are a hazard to all traffic. These are accidents waiting to happen.

Idiots with death wishes.

mtgoat666 - 1-4-2014 at 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Hgwy 1 should be closed to bicyclists. They are a hazard to all traffic. These are accidents waiting to happen.

Slow down! Share the road!

KurtG - 1-4-2014 at 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee

Yup, we gringos should be able to determine who gets to use Mexican highways. You go ahead and take the lead in that effort!

bajadogs - 1-5-2014 at 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobertWe motorists are paying for their "RIGHT" to use our highways.

I appreciate it dude.

http://youtu.be/3wWh56qU5Cg

:lol::lol:

Bikes on the road !!

captkw - 1-5-2014 at 01:00 AM

For a few years in the early 90's there was few bike companys trying to get started... my though's are only a +fool,, would ride a bike down the Baja hwy...and when I see them at stores ,,camp spots,,gas stations I go out of my way to say " if I come around a corner and a truck is over the line and you are in my lane,,I'm taking you out !!without question or hesatation !! you are putting both of are lives at stake and I will run you over FOOL !!"...Well,, you can IMAGINE THE LOOKS I GET !! BUT THATS THE TRUTH !!:fire:

[Edited on 1-5-2014 by captkw]

mtgoat666 - 1-5-2014 at 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
For a few years in the early 90's there was few bike companys trying to get started... my though's are only a +fool,, would ride a bike down the Baja hwy...and when I see them at stores ,,camp spots,,gas stations I go out of my way to say " if I come around a corner and a truck is over the line and you are in my lane,,I'm taking you out !!without question or hesatation !! you are putting both of are lives at stake and I will run you over FOOL !!"...Well,, you can IMAGINE THE LOOKS I GET !! BUT THATS THE TRUTH !!:fire:

Slow down and share the road, angry old crazy man! Of course the people give you funny looks because you are flocking crazy!

Goat

captkw - 1-5-2014 at 05:02 AM

Hola,first of I'm not old or angry and yes,,maybe a bit crazy !! LOL...but when someone,,anyone that puts life in jeapody... I will stand up to the cause !! bikes are a Bad Danger on the hwy...that's just a simple fact !! And at 53 I'm one of the youngest here !! would you try and convince us that's its not stupid,crazy,, selfess act on behalve of the bike rider ?? and I have a nice bike myself....K&T:cool:...PS,,I drive a 89 VOLVO 240 HOTROD..LOL!!:lol:

How about a gas powered model?

durrelllrobert - 1-5-2014 at 12:57 PM

The guy that builds these says that his personal 49cc bike has a top speed of 49 mph.

The bike on the photo above is called Phantom 1903—MSRP $1,950, wide aluminium rims, springer front end, and a 50cc engine. It was built by Phantom Bikes, a San Diego company that has been building cool motorized bicycles since 2009. The president and owner of the company John Allen King says that he and a friend of his started by buying two stock bikes from local sport stores. They equipped the two bikes with engine kits they ordered online. All the bikes they currently offer through their website are beach cruisers—very popular style of bicycles here in California.

Phantom bikes have small engines, made in China, single speed, under 49 cc, capable of speeds up to 35 mph. You can get 140 per gallon with one of these. In some states including California, vehicles with under 49 cc engines can be ridden without a driver’s licence.

desertcpl - 1-5-2014 at 01:09 PM

Now where is Chris

[Edited on 1-5-2014 by desertcpl]

bajadogs - 1-5-2014 at 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
The guy that builds these says that his personal 49cc bike has a top speed of 49 mph.

The bike on the photo above is called Phantom 1903—MSRP $1,950, wide aluminium rims, springer front end, and a 50cc engine. It was built by Phantom Bikes, a San Diego company that has been building cool motorized bicycles since 2009. The president and owner of the company John Allen King says that he and a friend of his started by buying two stock bikes from local sport stores. They equipped the two bikes with engine kits they ordered online. All the bikes they currently offer through their website are beach cruisers—very popular style of bicycles here in California.

Phantom bikes have small engines, made in China, single speed, under 49 cc, capable of speeds up to 35 mph. You can get 140 per gallon with one of these. In some states including California, vehicles with under 49 cc engines can be ridden without a driver’s licence.

Kids in my hood have these gas powered beach cruisers. I considered it but have no regrets going all electric. No noise, no smoke, no oil, 36 miles on a charge and 32 mph is plenty fast for a bicycle. I love this thing.

Lee - 1-5-2014 at 04:34 PM

Quote:

Definitely on the same page on this. F'them.

I slow to 5mph going up a grade because it's too dangerous to pass the idiot death wishing bicyclist and there's no shoulder. It's the only thing that get's me going. Otherwise, I'm patient and tolerant on that road.

It's dangerous enough without free spirited adventurers making it MORE dangerous. Get a car or a motorcycle -- bicycles are for play. Yeah and I have a mountain bike -- for the mountains.

They get side swiped and the buzzards will get them before they're found.

My beach. My waves. My chicks. Go home.

mtgoat666 - 1-5-2014 at 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Quote:

Definitely on the same page on this. F'them.

I slow to 5mph going up a grade because it's too dangerous to pass the idiot death wishing bicyclist and there's no shoulder. It's the only thing that get's me going. Otherwise, I'm patient and tolerant on that road.

It's dangerous enough without free spirited adventurers making it MORE dangerous. Get a car or a motorcycle -- bicycles are for play. Yeah and I have a mountain bike -- for the mountains.

They get side swiped and the buzzards will get them before they're found.

My beach. My waves. My chicks. Go home.

Rage on!

Peace out!

(The anger in you 2 is scary, met a few like you on the road over the years, as you pass by too close and displaying your class with your middle finger)

MR GOAT !!

captkw - 1-5-2014 at 07:37 PM

AS from your last post,,You don't have a clue on what your posting SIR !!... I hope this finds you and your loved ones Happy,,Healthy and Wiser than the day before...Capt Keith Ward & the famous Baja Tasha....Peace !!! and good will !!:cool:

last reply

captkw - 1-5-2014 at 07:53 PM

And at the normal hwy speeds...and I most of the time is a towing (slow) or driving a Volvo ( Scary Fast !!)...LOL !!! It Happens So F---ing Fast...MR Goat...You Seem Like Great guy Here !! Butt,,,I Don't Want to Hit Nobody,,anybody,,Thing<< cow,Duck,Bird.......................BIKE !! PS... Read Last Post Up !!:?:......PSS..when it happens..I sure in the HELL don't have the time or Want to stick up the Finger ...Goat,,,have you drove much ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????:?:

[Edited on 1-6-2014 by captkw]

What happened to my post on this subject yesterday?

durrelllrobert - 1-5-2014 at 08:38 PM

Deleted??
www.tifr.us/.../why-not-its-saturday-225-photos-of-sexy-girl...

willardguy - 1-5-2014 at 08:45 PM

Quote:
Deleted??
you notice MY chick is still there! bicycle seat shot must have crossed a line!:lol:

Bajaboy - 1-5-2014 at 08:52 PM

I find it odd that some feel it's okay to drive an oversized RV on a narrow highway but not for a small bike to navigate the same road. I have ridden thousands of miles in my life and would not consider riding Hwy 1. But I personally get tired of the old geezers b-tching about cyclists taking up the road as they try and maneuver their 35 ft rig down the road....

willardguy - 1-5-2014 at 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
I find it odd that some feel it's okay to drive an oversized RV on a narrow highway but not for a small bike to navigate the same road. I have ridden thousands of miles in my life and would not consider riding Hwy 1. But I personally get tired of the old geezers b-tching about cyclists taking up the road as they try and maneuver their 35 ft rig down the road....
touche! :yes:

KurtG - 1-5-2014 at 10:02 PM

Quote:

Agreed. Also, the majority of bicyclists I have met are not just riding Baja but headed for Central or South America and most are Europeans so it seems a little weird to me to have tourists from the US being critical of tourists from other countries about what they should be allowed to do in Mexico. I have friends from Mexico City who every year fly to TJ with their bikes and ride to La Paz from where they fly back home. I will be certain to tell them that many here disapprove. Selfish of them to think that they should be allowed to ride the roads in their home country.

If you see a bicyclist or two taking a break, camped on the beach or fixing a flat along the hwy why not stop and offer a soft drink or snack and chat a bit. You might meet some interesting people.

Sweetwater - 1-5-2014 at 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KurtG
Quote:

Agreed. Also, the majority of bicyclists I have met are not just riding Baja but headed for Central or South America and most are Europeans so it seems a little weird to me to have tourists from the US being critical of tourists from other countries about what they should be allowed to do in Mexico. I have friends from Mexico City who every year fly to TJ with their bikes and ride to La Paz from where they fly back home. I will be certain to tell them that many here disapprove. Selfish of them to think that they should be allowed to ride the roads in their home country.

If you see a bicyclist or two taking a break, camped on the beach or fixing a flat along the hwy why not stop and offer a soft drink or snack and chat a bit. You might meet some interesting people.

Wew, I thought there was a pending explosion. Bicyclists are good folks from my observations. I would seriously think that bad Karma would follow folks who have such little patience that they can not tolerate 2 wheels of any propulsion. It's like the Harley guys pointing fingers at the Honda guys. BTW, my wife, my sons, my friends all like their bicycles and I like them. If you meet them on the road it's your loss not to treat them with respect.

mtgoat666 - 1-5-2014 at 10:42 PM

Feel the love!

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you!

Slow down, share the road!

Peace, love, fish tacos!

vgabndo - 1-5-2014 at 10:45 PM

I recently sold my 17th. motorcycle and over all those years I developed a pretty healthy disrespect for the way a lot of motorists treat two wheelers. It takes some mighty big gonads just to peddle the distance, I'm in awe. Met these folks last March on the last leg of their adventure heading back to Patagonia. For seven years they had managed to avoid all the Capt. Bumpertags to Alaska and back.

They miscalculated water on the ridgebacks south of El Rosario and were happy to see my big wet camper pull up.:saint:

I sure wish there had been more than a few minutes to hear their stories.

[Edited on 1-6-2014 by vgabndo]

durrelllrobert - 1-6-2014 at 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
Quote:
Deleted??
you notice MY chick is still there! bicycle seat shot must have crossed a line!:lol:

Yea, bike seats are a no-no for somebody, but look at all the breasts on the Chargers thread?

vandenberg - 1-6-2014 at 09:19 AM

The nipples did you in.

:no::biggrin::biggrin:

bajabuddha - 1-6-2014 at 11:07 AM

Just last week, going into Sta. Rosalia just north of the Prison as i crested the hill there was a bicyclist coming the other way (southbound, uphill) at me, and a Semi Truck 3' into MY LANE to avoid the T U R D. I had to take a shoulder to not be head-on'ed by a BFT, and luckily i HAD a shoulder to take. Had it been on 90% of T.P.1 it would have been disastrous, because of the risk of roll-over along ALL of this highway, or i would've been crushed by the front of the big Semi. I feel very fortunate just to be able to pen this epistle, and thankful i wasn't pulling my RV, was just in my pick-up. There was enough bank on the shoulder to cause some serious mess to my 5th wheel if it was behind me. Blind curve, crest of a hill, and normal speeds.

"slow down and share the road"? "Old geezers with big RV's"? How about autobuses, camiones, doble remolque propane trucks... all large vehicles need 'mo' (momentum) to get up the hill just like the little spandex-sporting lycra-loving MENACES that may get road rash but get other people killed by trying to avoid their 'special healthy lifestyle'. This wasn't my first encounter either, i've had to lock up brakes several times and i mean both feet to keep from killing them or oncoming traffic. I also turn on my emergency flashers after i pass the peddle-pushers to warn oncoming traffic there's a VERY DANGEROUS (and annoying) situation ahead of them, same as if it was a cow or a donkey.

Also, beach camping i've been 'visited' by these ultra-hearty and brave daring-do'ers to mooch off some water to cook their ramen, or maybe get invited for dinner or whatever they don't pack as bare necessities.

Here's a new one too; on Thanksgiving we had a young woman biking 'solo' (so we thought) come to our campground, and a few of the soft-hearted folks here took her in, gave her a bed to sleep in, fed her (turned out for 3 days), and a few days later another couple of sprocked sponges pulled in... seems there's a website that a large group of them have and the 'lead' bikers log in to spread the news of 'best places to camp for bikers'... needless to say we had several more in the oncoming weeks.

My hat's off to them for their adventurous spirits, their above-average cardio workouts, and yes, everyone has a 'right' to the road. I just believe NOT T.P.1! However Mtgoat, how slow do we have to ''slow down'' to??? 3 mph going uphill around every blind curve to appease you and save ME? There's nothing can be done to stop it, seen 'em for 20 years. And they've seen my hand gesture every time they look inside my cab.

Yeah, there's lots of snow-domed retirees who shouldn't be behind the wheel of their 40' Land Yaught' busting side mirrors left and right, however this Highway was CREATED FOR AUTOMOBILES, WITHOUT the luxury of bike-lanes or even flat-tire shoulders. So if it's them or me, i'd take one out in a heartbeat.... unfortunately my last 'too-close-call' i didn't have the choice, time or distance-wise, because the semi was cresting a hill already 3' into my lane. I wasn't speed-balling either.

Sorry for the rant, my heart's beating fast just remembering it. I would be interested to know just how many do get killed or wreck somebody else. The ones with kiddies in tow-coaches? A travesty to me. "slow down and share the road!" ....Yeah, RIGHT.

willardguy - 1-6-2014 at 11:23 AM

"little spandex-sporting lycra loving menaces and sprocket sponges" it don't matter what side of the fence you're on, you gotta love that!:lol::lol::lol:thank you!

bajabuddha - 1-6-2014 at 01:32 PM

:biggrin:Actually, the whole unabridged rant goes:

"Tree huggin' fern-fondlin' crystal gazin' lycra-lovin' spandex sportin' peddle-pushin' Birkenstock-wearin' tofu-eatin' pot-smokin' Lake Powell-drainin' sons'o'britches!!" .... half of which i'm quite guilty of meself.....

Happy trails, bb.:lol:

ncampion - 1-6-2014 at 02:02 PM

Well said, bajabuddha. No amount of "sharing the road" is sufficient to avert a disaster like you described. I have imagined that senerio many times while driving that road. It's only a matter of time and back luck before something really bad happens. In the past few years the increase in bicycle traffic is moving the odds more and more in favor of the disaster. How about advocating for a little common sense on the part of the bikers - pick a safer road!!!

mtgoat666 - 1-6-2014 at 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabuddha
they've seen my hand gesture every time they look inside my cab.

:( real class act

p.s. why is "buddha" in your screen name? is that supposed to be ironic? :?::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Timo1 - 1-6-2014 at 02:22 PM

Just speed bumps on the road to adventure as the traffic increases

Thump thump

DianaT - 1-6-2014 at 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Timo1

Thump thump

This brings up an interesting question. While none of us want to hit and injure or kill another person, sometimes the option of braking and/or swerving is just not there --- sounded real close for bajabudda and I know we have had some close calls; fortunately not that close.

Recently John had to make the fast decision between swerving off the road and probably rolling the car, swerving into another lane and hitting the car that was there, or hitting and killing a coyote. Having come around a blind curve when the coyote ran out onto the road, there was no time to brake. We felt awful about the dead coyote.

So faced with the same situation, only the fast appearing road hazard is a person on a bicycle, what would anyone do?

rts551 - 1-6-2014 at 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Quote:

Thump thump

This brings up an interesting question. While none of us want to hit and injure or kill another person, sometimes the option of braking and/or swerving is just not there --- sounded real close for bajabudda and I know we have had some close calls; fortunately not that close.

Recently John had to make the fast decision between swerving off the road and probably rolling the car, swerving into another lane and hitting the car that was there, or hitting and killing a coyote. Having come around a blind curve when the coyote ran out onto the road, there was no time to brake. We felt awful about the dead coyote.

So faced with the same situation, only the fast appearing road hazard is a person on a bicycle, what would anyone do?

BUTT BUMP EM

Mexitron - 1-6-2014 at 03:19 PM

Suppose they could make the old road a bike trail with a bulldozer and some asphalt? Might spawn a new tourist industry for Baja. Then again, why would I want more people down there.......

bajabuddha - 1-6-2014 at 04:29 PM

Quote:
Quote:
they've seen my hand gesture every time they look inside my cab.

:( real class act

p.s. why is "buddha" in your screen name? is that supposed to be ironic? :?::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I consider myself an honest act, goathead. I see you wish to have a battle of the wits, but i won't duel with an unarmed opponent. Far's my 'handle', "Rasca El Buddha por suerte". I have a big belly, and it's a self-depreciating choice. I had this same 'argument' with another donkey on this site, criticizing my ethics for not being enough 'Buddhist-like'. Don't like my criticizm of your ''share the road'' message? Tough; slow down and share the page. Have a nice day anyway.:cool:

mean old guy on pills runs down kathy ireland

joerover - 1-6-2014 at 06:45 PM

grumpy old guy;
domt eat any more pills you are killing people

joerover - 1-6-2014 at 06:48 PM

when you see a bike

HIT THE BREAKS¡!

willardguy - 1-6-2014 at 06:59 PM

when you see kathy ireland

HIT THE BRAKES!

:lol:

Ateo - 1-6-2014 at 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Quote:

Thump thump

If it's me and my family go head-on into a big rig vs. a tope or two, I go topes.

Would hope that choice would never have to be made though.

I'm a human lover and don't want anyone dead, but that would be my decision in that circumstance.

I think for the most part bikers and vehicles can share the road on Highway 1. Both need to be on the lookout for each other. If I was on a bike on a blind curve, I would keep my ears open for sounds of vehicles. If something was coming I'd hop off the road for a second and protect myself.

So the caution thing should be going both ways. Let's work together. If I'm on a bike (which I wouldn't be, ever, in Baja) and I see a big rig coming and a motorhome in my rearview, I pull off till it's safe. Let them pass and stay alive. If you're on a bike, you must always be vigilant and aware. Same as in a car.

Peace.

[Edited on 1-7-2014 by Ateo]

liknbaja127 - 1-6-2014 at 08:00 PM

Great post Ateo, I feel the same way. I have seen lots of these bike people
on the road, have not had any real close calls yet! Only takes one. that's not
how I want to spend my Baja time.

vgabndo - 1-6-2014 at 08:02 PM

Jon, I think there is a lot of sense in what you say. I believe that there are fewer accidents than there might be because the cyclists DO have a sense of self-preservation. They can hear the vehicles coming and I'm sure that very few make themselves WIDER thinking this will help!

Driving down "the baja" has always been a little dangerous, part of the danger is slow moving bicycles.

Do I have a bit of a PO about bicycles in the USA, which I must legally treat just like a car, you bet! But only because when I treat them just like a car, they run the next ten stop signs, and then drive on the sidewalk for a while. It would do a lot for the reputation of cyclists if once in a while I saw one observe a traffic control sign/device.

just sayin'

durrelllrobert - 1-6-2014 at 08:05 PM

Quote:

Here's a new one too; on Thanksgiving we had a young woman biking 'solo' (so we thought) come to our campground, and a few of the soft-hearted folks here took her in, gave her a bed to sleep in, fed her (turned out for 3 days), and a few days later another couple of sprocked sponges pulled in... seems there's a website that a large group of them have and the 'lead' bikers log in to spread the news of 'best places to camp for bikers'... needless to say we had several more in the oncoming weeks.

That's the same tactic that "hobos" used to use (or stlll do?). I guess today they are classified as "homeless" and government agencies take care of them as best the can

Guess its settled then

captkw - 1-6-2014 at 08:23 PM

Most Nomads here are sane (up for debate) loving,,caring,,giving folks.....But bikes on the hwy (road) are not safe for anyone and that's just the way it IS !!!

Katiejay99 - 1-6-2014 at 08:24 PM

I second Ateo. I have been wanting to chime in here, but he said it best.

its settled then

captkw - 1-6-2014 at 08:27 PM

Quote:
Most Nomads here are sane (up for debate) loving,,caring,,giving folks.....But bikes on the hwy (road) are not safe for anyone and that's just the way it IS !!!

Lee - 1-7-2014 at 04:55 PM

For the record, I don't flip bicyclists off, don't flip anyone off, in theory believe bicyclists have a right to ride anywhere they want, including Baja, and believe anyone riding Highway 1 is clueless about the danger of no shoulder on much of the road and are naive about the abilities of drivers on the road esp. semi's.

At the bottom of the grade going down into Santa Rosallia today, a semi was upside down and the federal police were there.

David K - 1-7-2014 at 05:16 PM

Quote:

Just where does a bike rider fit in this photo (south of San Quintin) by jrbaja?

joerover - 1-8-2014 at 03:37 PM

notice that the antibike is a frequent poster on the meds thread

pill poppers are dont know how to drive dope fiends

pass a bike the same way you pass a vw

wiat till there is no oncoming trafic

get all 4 tires over the center lane

pass with care and smile

when yo see a bike

HIT THE BREAKS

joerover - 1-9-2014 at 05:53 PM

nomads caught on tape
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFM5QiAd3QA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM2KJO1w-kk

Barry A. - 1-9-2014 at 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by joerover
nomads caught on tape

If you notice in the first video the entire section of hyway was a NO PASSING zone. Legally, what is this car to do???

------but but he WAS being obnoxious, even I will admit, making his point. But seriously, what can the car driver legally do??? What do you bikers recommend?

Barry

Islandbuilder - 1-9-2014 at 06:52 PM

Bicycle advocates are making good points, assuming we were talking about roads in the US with shoulders and 12 foot lane widths.

But we're not.

And the continuing ignorance of the laws of physics is going to get someone killed and someone else scarred for life.

I appreciate that we should do a lot of things, like share the roads with bicycles, but I just don't think that any of those otherwise sound arguments have any validity when we're discussing Mx Hwy 1!

bajadogs - 1-10-2014 at 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Quote:
nomads caught on tape

If you notice in the first video the entire section of hyway was a NO PASSING zone. Legally, what is this car to do???

------but but he WAS being obnoxious, even I will admit, making his point. But seriously, what can the car driver legally do??? What do you bikers recommend?
Barry

Pass with courtesy and safety in mind. There was plenty of room for the car to safely pass without crossing the double yellow line. Legally.

Photos of bicycles on the Baja Road

Pompano - 1-10-2014 at 11:04 AM

I've encountered many dozens of bicycles over the last 40 years of driving the open Baja Road....mostly from the border to Conception Bay. This topic of bikes on the road comes up quite often when discussing driving the Baja Road. I've had the opportunity to record just a very few.

Here's some real time photos .... right or wrong, it is what it is.

Definitely do not attempt to pass in this situation.

Looks safe to pass here...not always the case.

Make your own judgements. Just remember....whatever the circumstance, on a bike or in a car, drive like your life depends on how you drive. The Baja Road, like The Sea, does not forgive your carelessness.

Barry A. - 1-10-2014 at 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadogs
Quote:
Quote:
nomads caught on tape

Barry

Pass with courtesy and safety in mind. There was plenty of room for the car to safely pass without crossing the double yellow line. Legally.

Errr ahhh, the "double yellow line" means (legally) NO PASSING, period!!! It's not a suggestion, it's the LAW!!!

We have a problem here.

Barry

mtgoat666 - 1-10-2014 at 11:44 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
nomads caught on tape

Barry

Errr ahhh, the "double yellow line" means (legally) NO PASSING, period!!! It's not a suggestion, it's the LAW!!!

We have a problem here.

Barry

in most cases it is reasonable to cross no passing lane marker if the lane is obstructed or there is a slow moving vehicle in travel lane, and can be done so safely. CA vehicle code does not include a specific exception, but states like FL do have a specific exception to double yellow line in cases of obstruction in lane.

Barry A. - 1-10-2014 at 01:12 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
nomads caught on tape

Barry

We have a problem here.

Barry

in most cases it is reasonable to cross no passing lane marker if the lane is obstructed or there is a slow moving vehicle in travel lane, and can be done so safely. CA vehicle code does not include a specific exception, but states like FL do have a specific exception to double yellow line in cases of obstruction in lane.

Agree, and I have done so many times when NO opposing traffic and no visible cops around, but just remember that it is AGAINST THE LAW in CA (for a valid reason), and in many other states.

Also agree that the honking horn hoodlum (a Mr.Bill'ism?) was being rediculous in making his point----------but, the "point" is valid, none the less.

In most places, riding your horsy on a busy street or hiway is also against the law, for a very good reason-------it's VERY DANGEROUS for everybody.

My wife and I ride bikes daily when down in Borrego Springs in the winter, but we ALWAYS pull off the road when car traffic gets heavy (which is very seldom), for obvious (duh) reasons. We get a lot of appreciative waves for doing so.

Barry

joerover - 1-10-2014 at 02:00 PM

[The driver of the wagon was stalking toward me, with big, wild eyes. I unclicked and put a foot down and held my hand up and put on a smile and said, “Thanks for stopping, I’m not here to argue or anything, I just wanted to say sorry if you felt we were in your way and—”]

[ against not thinking of consequence, of not realizing that we, those strange people on bicycles, might also be parents, dog owners, baseball fans, neighbors, mortals no farther from death, really, than a man who must carry a tank to breathe.]

http://ireader.olivesoftware.com/Olive/iReader/AustinAmericanStatesman/SharedArticle.ashx?document=AAS\2013\08\05&article=Ar02304http://ireader.olivesoftware.com/Olive/iReader/AustinAmericanStatesman/SharedArticle.ashx?document=AAS\2013\08\05&article=Ar02304

Barry A. - 1-10-2014 at 02:18 PM

True story----------In Redding, CA in town traffic------- we have struck two bicyclists over the many years on 2 different occasions---------in both cases we were in the far right lane and making right turns at an intersection on green lights with our right-turn signals on-----------and the bikes came up on our right side and were cut off by our right turns and impact followed. Thank God nobody was seriously injured, but the bikes and our veh. was damaged in both cases. No blame was attached to anybody (no cops involved) in these cases (both older teenagers), but it did cost us a little money to repair our paint jobs.

It's a horrible feeling when you think of what MIGHT have happened.

Barry

wessongroup - 1-10-2014 at 03:24 PM

Non paved roads back in the day ... kinda took care of this issue, most of the time ... just saying