BajaNomad

New motor for my boat.

msawin - 1-7-2014 at 11:08 AM

Got my new motor for my Cabo. Plan on going first of the week. Anyone headed south? [Loreto]

Russ - 1-7-2014 at 03:46 PM

Unless you get it on a boat crossing the border you're gonna hate the import duty

[Edited on 1-7-2014 by Russ]

going south

msawin - 1-7-2014 at 09:21 PM

I am going to be prepared. I have the dealers sales recite and my boat info. We will be headed south thru Tecate 7:00 am'ish. I am meeting a friend that lives in the Loreto area year round and we will drive down together as we have done in the past. Over the past 5-6 years I have driven down 10-12 times, each time my van and box tailor gets looked at and I have been wished a good trip each time as the door is closed. I'll post my trip results.

bajario - 1-7-2014 at 09:52 PM

Good luck. We had one about the same size headed to Loreto. Crossed SY at 4 am and was told we had to go to Otay which didn't open to 7 or 8. Slipped them $400 and was on our way.

Say what you want about the mordida but the countless hours saved was worth the money. Not to mention the import tax was likely to be much, much more.

Russ - 1-8-2014 at 05:59 AM

You guys were lucky. I had to pay $100usd mordida 10 years ago

msawin

captkw - 1-8-2014 at 09:51 AM

Hola,,always nice to have a new boat motor !! yee haa !! congrats...small tip about those yamys...flush with salt away each trip and change the therms every year or two (depends on hrs)...tight lines........K&T:cool:

yep...

msawin - 1-8-2014 at 08:26 PM

She was a good girl but I think that this time is was NOT the running it enough, but the salt water atmosphere environment . My boat has been south since 2006. Mi amigo David Cunningham [Best mechanic] in Loreto, showed it to him and he told me,
" Yes. I have seen this 5 times with the Yamaha 200".

I said NO. 6- times...

Therms and PRV

captkw - 1-8-2014 at 10:12 PM

LOL,,Ive lost count...have safe trip and let us know how the impresto goes at the border....:rolleyes:

trip

msawin - 1-10-2014 at 07:00 PM

Thanks Capt......

going south

msawin - 1-27-2014 at 09:33 PM

Here we go. Got across the boarder...

going south

msawin - 1-27-2014 at 09:35 PM

here we go.. Vizciano Desert

Juncalito lookout

msawin - 1-27-2014 at 09:37 PM

almost HOME...

Ateo - 1-27-2014 at 09:40 PM

Thanks for the follow up.

msawin - 1-27-2014 at 09:40 PM

URL=http://s485.photobucket.com/user/msawin/media/motorTrip2.jpg.html][/URL]

msawin - 1-27-2014 at 09:43 PM

[URL=http://s485.photobucket.com/user/msawin/media/cabo%20226/Yamaha2014.jpg.html][/URL

Here she comes

its a new Yamaha 200 4- stroke..

msawin - 1-27-2014 at 09:46 PM

Pacifico - 1-28-2014 at 07:28 AM

How did it go at the border, though? Did they see it and tax you?

border tax ??

captkw - 1-28-2014 at 10:44 AM

did they hit you up ?? btw...after break-in... make sure the motor with normal load will make WOT...I see Sooooo many boats with the wrong pitch prop...even new boats from the factory...(fiberglass boys,, not proplusion experts !!).....K&T

DaliDali - 1-28-2014 at 01:27 PM

Use this stuff.... http://www.saltawayproducts.com/128flozPage.htm

Breaks down the salt inside the motor...especially the thermostat and water pump.
I use it each and every time after use.

msawin - 1-28-2014 at 07:59 PM

DaliDali... yes saltaway....

I have to tell you that the folks at Importation Dept. Tacate are the best people in that town... THE best. I can U2U anyone that needs the details, but I am telling you everything that I had to deal with was the best...

msawin - 1-28-2014 at 08:04 PM

Here She Is. my baby 200 HP. Yamaha..... 4-Stroke

msawin - 1-28-2014 at 08:06 PM

Lets Go Fish....

Martini TIME

msawin - 1-28-2014 at 08:08 PM

YEP

My Crew

msawin - 1-28-2014 at 08:10 PM

You has to have some one to Gaff...

msawin - 1-28-2014 at 08:14 PM

PS... We were down last week and back again in 27 days 35 minutes... 13 seconds or there abouts

Who is counting?

Alan - 1-28-2014 at 09:15 PM

Sweet! Now go get some fish on that ride.

Pompano - 1-28-2014 at 09:31 PM

Congrats! Yammies are bulletproof. There is nothing - absolutely nothing - worth as much as simply messing about in boats.

CONGRAT'S !!

captkw - 1-28-2014 at 09:55 PM

SO, The Border and impresto ??? import duty taxes ?? Prop ??? way SS for a first prop ????

msawin - 1-30-2014 at 09:01 PM

Just a little temporary importation Tax... I did not pay Calif sales tax, so a little bit for Mexico... Smile....

Msawin

captkw - 1-30-2014 at 09:10 PM

>>Ya Hoo,,,, Now after break in...WOT!! for a prop check !! Fishing Time...Tight Lines On YA !!....PS...Hope its ok to ask ?? how did you miss the CA sales tax...reply in code or smoke signals....the cabos are built like a grady...lots of glass in the right places !!!....K&T:cool:.....PPS..There are internal motor zinc's on that motor that will need to be changed !! (often overlooked)Nice crew !!!

[Edited on 1-31-2014 by captkw]

[Edited on 1-31-2014 by captkw]

Bubba - 1-31-2014 at 04:26 AM

Nice rig, that's a fishing machine.

aguachico - 1-31-2014 at 04:31 AM

Msawin;

Nice upgrade. Those Cabos are great fish machines. How much weight did you add with the upgrade? Putting a 4strokw 225 on my Grady really has her sitting low in the ass.
I put the biggest tabs I could fit and that has helped.

You got the racor filter with the drain bowl correct?

Cypress - 1-31-2014 at 05:54 AM

Super! You're good to go.:yes:

Lengua - 1-31-2014 at 03:22 PM

The NEW 4 stroke 4 cylinder (NOT 6) 200 is much lighter than its counterpart. this is a great alternative for a repower and it keeps the scuppers above the water line . This was previously a problem with the earlier and heavier version 4 strokes. Our Grady 209 had a 150 HP 2 stroke and the new 4 cylinder 4 stroke weighs very close to the same .

msawin - 1-31-2014 at 10:50 PM

Aguachico,
The new 4 stroke 200 is 20 lbs lighter than my Salt Water 2-stroke Yamaha.

msawin - 1-31-2014 at 10:52 PM

Capt...
Y-Marine in Oregon. Scott the owner is great. Coos Bay.

"Roger,,good copy on all"

captkw - 2-1-2014 at 03:08 AM

aguachico - 2-1-2014 at 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by msawin
Aguachico,
The new 4 stroke 200 is 20 lbs lighter than my Salt Water 2-stroke Yamaha.

Wow, my 4stroke is an '04 f225. it's a bear. Did you get the fly-by-wire controls? Also did you bypass the gauges and just connect the gauges to your electronics?

Racor filter, keep the tank full. Let me know when you finally realize you don't have to shout when you are underway. Or you have to look at the gauge or pee hole to make sure she's runing.:cool:

Lengua - 2-2-2014 at 11:40 AM

That's the outboard I want. Finally a lighter 4 stroke to replace my 2 stroke saltwater series Yamaha. Msawin , I live in Oregon and will purchase mine here. We keep our Grady CC in La Paz and will more than likely only tow it to San Diego and have the outboard shipped to SD where it will be installed. I can't do it the way you did without flying to La Paz and grabbing our truck and driving back to Oregon to pickup the outboard.I know your mechanic in Loreto and yes he is good. Do you mind telling me what I should pay for one of these. Looks like you bought yours in Coos Bay.
Thank you ,
Mike

Lengua

captkw - 2-2-2014 at 01:15 PM

Hola,,, as a boat tech and a boat captain I would ask you to look at other optains...the yammys are high mantaince and not "muy duro"...check out the "E-Tecs and "Merc" if you want a GooD Motor.....PS..whats wrong with the motor you have now....Don't try and tell me you will save money on gas with the purchase of a 4stroke....will never play out that way !!!

[Edited on 2-2-2014 by captkw]

Cypress - 2-2-2014 at 01:27 PM

Not knocking the yammys, they run very quite, but captkw has a valid point. And I totally agree about the 4stroke gas consumption comment. A merc will burn less fuel than any other outboard. The E-Tecs? Never had one, but they're supposed to be fuel efficient.:)

Pompano - 2-2-2014 at 03:29 PM

I've owned and ran Yammies over the years and never once had a major complaint with them. Easy to do maintenance with any engine. I loved the quietness of the 4-S Yammies especially, along with the fuel economy.

I have a fuel-saving 115 E-tech tiller on a small, but heavy fishing boat. Finest kind and The Bomb! Beats the Yammie on fuel savings.

Lots of great outboards out there...and Yamaha and E-techs will fill anyone's wish list. They are only as good as you take care of them.

[Edited on 2-3-2014 by Pompano]

LOW FISH DAY 033 YARCRAFT BT (Small) (Custom).jpg - 43kB

outboards

captkw - 2-2-2014 at 03:43 PM

Hola,,most folks here know what I do for living !! the two stroke Yams are Great !! I would never Hang a 4 stroke Yam on my own boat !! they need high mantaince and parts are CRAZY over priced...that's MY pro take on this...who won that war anyway (ww2)

Pompano - 2-2-2014 at 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by msawin

YEP

"CHEERS!"...AND GOOD LUCK OUT THERE.

Floatflyer - 2-2-2014 at 06:17 PM

I bought a new Bayrunner Baja and 50 hp Honda in Jan of '99 and brought it straight to the East Cape. It has lived here ever since and fished when weather allowed every winter since then. I am the only person that has worked on this engine/boat and I can barely change flashlight batteries.

The most complicated maintenance has been a couple of impellers on the water pump, caused by a timer turning off the hose during a flushing operation and another dumb a-- move on my part.

Honda is bullet proof, period. I would, however, consider a Yamaha, but for operating in rural Mexico, no other engines would I buy. Compared to the OLD 2 strokes, 4 strokes are a no brainer, IMO. No experience on the new 2 strokes. I don't need to reinvent the wheel. Good luck with that great looking boat and new Yamaha!

[Edited on 2-3-2014 by Floatflyer]

200 FI vs 50 hp

captkw - 2-2-2014 at 06:39 PM

They are differint machines complety....not even in the same book...glad ya like your Honda...just never buy a Honda 130 hp...check the reviews,,rants on that model to start with... the USGC runs Honda 200's on the 25' well,,,, off the top of my head I think they are 200's...raced the new 25 when they got the motors broken in... head to head for about two miles...I was running twin 2 stroke 75 hp merc's...But,,My boat is a CAT....Ha,HA diff strokes for diff folks..main thing is to have FUN and be Safe...and always help folks in distress !!

willardguy - 2-2-2014 at 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
They are differint machines complety....not even in the same book...glad ya like your Honda...just never buy a Honda 130 hp...check the reviews,,rants on that model to start with... the USGC runs Honda 200's on the 25' well,,,, off the top of my head I think they are 200's...raced the new 25 when they got the motors broken in... head to head for about two miles...I was running twin 2 stroke 75 hp merc's...But,,My boat is a CAT....Ha,HA diff strokes for diff folks..main thing is to have FUN and be Safe...and always help folks in distress !!
you mean its like comparing a bronco to a seahawk?:lol:

Lengua - 2-2-2014 at 07:10 PM

Captkw , I ruled out ETec . Although I've heard good things about them. I'm doing my homework but when I repower I want a 4 stroke. Their quiet , don't smoke like a two stroke and are fuel sipping. We will have our existing 1999 150 hp Yamaha 2 stroke for a while (saltwater series) it meets our needs and has been a good motor. I like Merc also and have one on my Zodiac.
My current outboard has been well maintained and I've had no problems. My flirting with a repower comes from a safety minded conscious , not the fact that I'll save money on fuel. I agree with your point on that rational. Being that my existing 1999 outboard is 14 years old and my family is on the boat , i do not want to breakdown at sea , hence that is my primary reason for something newer.
Another alternative is spending a lot less and put a 15 or 20 Hp kicker on the back of our 209 Grady.
I can't imagine that a 9.9 hp would cut it.if I go the kicker route I can defer the repower and also upgrade electronics. A kicker as a safety valve provides peace of mind , especially with the family on board. Curious , at 14 years , does my two stroke have a lot of life yet?
BTW , I've heard nothing but good things regarding Yamaha and their corrosion resistant build. Nothing against Merc or others but I see a lot of Yamahas and understand they have surpassed most competitors with their technology ,innovativeness and responsiveness to the consumer.
Just my take on all this but I appreciate your response.

Lengua

captkw - 2-3-2014 at 09:55 AM

Hola,,Its never a easy answer on this !! while the E-TeC is a great motor the oil is way over priced !!! Do Not ever buy a FICHT motor.....even if its almost free !! you might want to "google" Yamaha corroisn problem...you might be very surprised !! also mercury marine (a US biz) had to go to fed court and won an injuction against yamahamarine...which has basicly took a merc motor and changed a few parts a resold it...the US has,was the leader in outboard's tech and design...on the kicker issue and a 14 year old motor ,,,it all depends on the "Love" its been getting...a kicker itself brings in many more issues than the scope of this blog...aka mounting,,,bracket,,,fuel supply,hp and prop pitch...and will it actually move the boat up wind ??? I hear guys all the time say "" I'm buying a 4stroke,,I go albie fishing a lot and will save money..HA,Ha, do the math on that one..not in this lifetime !! K&T

[Edited on 2-3-2014 by captkw]

[Edited on 2-3-2014 by captkw]

Lengua - 2-3-2014 at 04:53 PM

Capt , thanks for the reply . I looks like the Yamaha corrosion issues were with first generation 4 strokes and that appears to no longer be an issue. I understand that Yamaha previously supplied Mercury with power heads. I guess Merc likes Yamaha also .

Can you elaborate on the kicker? The bracket is a given , prop pitch can be calculated or provided . A Grady 209 weighs about 4K fully loaded with three passengers . Any idea on the kicker motor needed?

lengua

captkw - 2-3-2014 at 09:25 PM

Hola,,yes Yamaha did get the issue fixed...but a LOT of folk's found after the warrenty was up !! spending 15/ 20 k and have a major and expensive motor problem was not GOOD !! merc and Yamaha were in bed together for a while and even some (4str)merc power heads were Yamaha.....if you run the newer four strokes please use salt away after each trip !!! and as I said before. keep changing the therms and PRV checked...kickers need to be installed with a lot of forethought and the biggest problems I see are the mounting heights..too tall and the prop loose trust and too deep the motor gets "pooPed" each boat will have a sweet spot..also most mounts let the kicker fly around and after a while they tear up the mount/bracket..spend the extra cash and get the best bracket you can...its a b-tch to make a temp braket to see where the X spot is....but , you don't want to find out on a windy day your kicker is doing very little real kicking when you need It !!! K&T

[Edited on 2-4-2014 by captkw]

aguachico - 2-4-2014 at 08:08 AM

Quote:
Hola,,yes Yamaha did get the issue fixed...but a LOT of folk's found after the warrenty was up !! spending 15/ 20 k and have a major and expensive motor problem was not GOOD !! merc and Yamaha were in bed together for a while and even some (4str)merc power heads were Yamaha.....if you run the newer four strokes please use salt away after each trip !!! and as I said before. keep changing the therms and PRV checked...! K&T

capkw;
I have first hand knowledge of the yamaha corrosion. I bought my motor used with 500 hours. I knew about the issue and priced it accordingly. When yamaha reduced the parts price to $700 for the exhaust, it was a no brainer to fix and change the oil pump while the head was off.
I'm happy with my engine, though she's a beast. The fuel savings over the 225 SwS are quite significant as I would estimate I burned 1500 gallons last summer. Estimating a 400-500 gallon saving.

I'm curious to the benefits of running saltaway thru the motor?

BTW: my last 100 service, there's a lobster boat in the yard with a 225 yamaha 4stroke with 9600hours. set of injectors and two lower units is all that it was needed. plus a few minor parts here and there.

Cypress - 2-4-2014 at 08:50 AM

Speaking of fuel. My mechanic recommends using ethanol-free gas, says the alcohol breaks down the rubber and plastic parts when left unburned in the motor over extended periods of time. Does PEMEX sell ethanol-free gas? Some say running the motor on a daily/weekly basis will prevent the problem.

aguachico - 2-4-2014 at 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Speaking of fuel. My mechanic recommends using ethanol-free gas, says the alcohol breaks down the rubber and plastic parts when left unburned in the motor over extended periods of time. Does PEMEX sell ethanol-free gas? Some say running the motor on a daily/weekly basis will prevent the problem.

Cypress;
I agree with running it often. I don't let more than two weeks go without at least firing her up and getting her warm. Another advantage of the two stroke it is not a finicky about the fuel.

Cypess & aguachico

captkw - 2-4-2014 at 10:05 AM

Ethanol is bad crap on any motor that sits for more than a week or so.....I don't belive "Pemex" is using it..in ca. you will not find any gas that dosnt have it and the idiots in CARB and other folks from the Midwest are doing everything possible to put more of it in the fuel (gas)........aguachico...yes the SWS yams are tough and most 2str will drink just about anything !! BTW.. I HAVE A mercury tsb FOR THE CA. DEALERS THATS STATES.." ETHANOL GAS IN THE CALIF. MARKET CAN GO BAD IN 2 WEEKS " Ffrom the horses mouth...Yikes !!! and on closeing thought..."The wright brothers plane was fuel injected"...think about that with your coffee !! K&T

Gas Tank

msawin - 2-4-2014 at 10:19 PM

So what do we do about a full tank of gas for storage? Leaving your fuel tank full to fight the water / contamination issue? My Cabo has a 120 Gal. fuel tank. Old gas? I do not burn that much fuel to offset the size I have...

msawin

captkw - 2-4-2014 at 10:36 PM

Hola,,if your keeping her in Baja,,I'd keep her Full..less codersation from the tank walls. and If SHTF you have gas....most boat problems start/end because of lack of use !!! btw after 20/30 hrs do a WOT check to see if your prop is even close...very IMPORTANT and .....very,,very important issue.....and if a quake hits you still fuel for your van/truck/car..Also add a water fuel separator .A MUST !!! unless you want spend BIG bucks on a lot of big issue items down the road !!A 4 stroke outboard is VERY easy motor to have problems and needs LOTS of love !!!The first step is good clean fuel and have the right prop tuning.......MUY IMPORTANT !!

[Edited on 2-5-2014 by captkw]

problem.

msawin - 2-4-2014 at 11:37 PM

So the four stroke a bigger problem? I thought that getting rid of the 2-stroke oil things would be better. Do I need to take my girl back North?

msawin

captkw - 2-5-2014 at 09:10 AM

LOL..NO,, keep that new yammy...give it lots of love and go out on your boat as much as time allows....that a good boat and a good motor....enjoy and rip some lips while your out there....LOL

Alan - 2-5-2014 at 09:18 AM

Quote:
LOL..NO,, keep that new yammy...give it lots of love and go out on your boat as much as time allows....that a good boat and a good motor....enjoy and rip some lips while your out there....LOL
I also use the Yamaha Ring Free additive as recommended by my NOB certified Yamaha mechanic.

ringfree

captkw - 2-5-2014 at 09:45 AM

Good stuff !! mercury makes motor tune and ..........john/evinrude/bomb makes their own..I was looking for a can of the Johnson stuff that I know I saw in the last day or two...but yes I also recommend it...2 and 4 stroke..more on a two stroke than a four for many reasons..a 2 stroke with the oil is more prone for carbon in behind the rings leading to poor heat transfer and poor piston cooling......A two stroke DE-carb is the least marine motor service done and should be done at every 100 HRS...and the 2 most things guys miss the most is a de-carb and therms on their outboards !!

[Edited on 2-5-2014 by captkw]

Alan - 2-5-2014 at 11:16 AM

I swear by it. I had a waverunner that had been sitting for over a year and all the injectors were clogged and wouldn't start. Added some Ring Free to the tank, cranked it through a few times and let it sit overnite. The next morning it fired right off and ran as smooth as a baby's behind.