BajaNomad

There May Not Be A SF250 race

TMW - 1-8-2014 at 11:10 AM

It appears the Mexicali government does not want the SF250 race to take place. This from a friend:

OSCAR RAMOS from score, says that mexicali goverment, thats san felipe goverment too, is not interested in the baja 250 event, score its trying to make a deal with the tourism office, but it seems that they don't care about the race, so score says they don't have any option but search other cities interested in supporting score to make the baja 250.

Its like 2007 when the baja 250 was in ensenada because mexicali goverment didnt make a deal with score and they moved the race to ensenada.

This year there were a lot of political changes in the mexicali goverment, so this may be a trick to make the goverment look bad in front of the people.

willardguy - 1-8-2014 at 11:46 AM

just when they got the whoops the way they like em!:lol:

Ateo - 1-8-2014 at 12:00 PM

Keep us posted. Interesting.

Sweetwater - 1-8-2014 at 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
just when they got the whoops the way they like em!:lol:

Whoops? I rode that section of the SF Whoops with a pre-runner XR650R in 2009. I don't think I've ever worked so hard as I did on that ride. It was our lead rider who took the race through that section and he was whooped when done. That was my first taste of bikes in Baja and I've been hooked ever since.

rts551 - 1-8-2014 at 12:16 PM

TW, where did you get this info. Registration is now open for an end of Feb race.

willardguy - 1-8-2014 at 12:40 PM

you don't suppose oscar's working on some sleazy back room deal do ya? not oscar! :lol:

StuckSucks - 1-8-2014 at 01:01 PM

My understanding for the venue change in 2007 was due to the unfriendly people at El Dorado Ranch in SF. They subsequently saw the error of their ways.

But really, where's Sal when you need him?

David K - 1-8-2014 at 01:29 PM

A little history...

It is the San Felipe 250, and only once was the race moved to Ensenada due to property crossing issues was it renamed the Baja 250. Yet, t shirts and others have called it the Baja 250 in other years.

Before it was the San Felipe 250 it was the Mexicali 250 (starting and ending in Mexicali).... Before SCORE it was the Hotel Lucerna 250 (in Mexicali).

PaulW - 1-8-2014 at 02:12 PM

Lots of considerations one of which is land owners forbidding racing on their access roads.
I agree its 2007 all over again, but with ejido having more influence.
All new MX political powers learning how to deal with the players???
PW

desertcpl - 1-8-2014 at 02:28 PM

what I understand about the 2007 race

it was not the folks in El Dorado ranch, that caused the mess

but the Ejido. was wanting more money for the racers to go

thru their land

David K - 1-8-2014 at 02:35 PM

http://score-international.com/2014-san-felipe-250/

[Edited on 1-9-2014 by David K]

PaulW - 1-8-2014 at 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by desertcpl
what I understand about the 2007 race

it was not the folks in El Dorado ranch, that caused the mess

but the Ejido. was wanting more money for the racers to go

thru their land

====
Correct. The ejido made demands that could not be met at the last minute. The demands had nothing to do with Eldorado Ranch who were supportive to both sides.
Pw

PaulW - 1-8-2014 at 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Right now on the SCORE web site, there is NOTHING about any problems???: http://score-international.com/2014-san-felipe-250/

====
Reason - Race is being held. I will bet with concessions made to the Ejido concerning access.
Note that the land owners are not unanimous with respect to denying access, but the ones that own the choke points are apparently holding firm. Race would probably avoid those places.
So far it is good enough, and it is more promising than 2007 with regard to timing (so far?).
PW

TMW - 1-8-2014 at 06:31 PM

It was not offically from SCORE but from a friend who got an email from Oscar. Who knows what is really going on. It may be last minute politics.

willardguy - 1-8-2014 at 06:37 PM

not unlike last years last minute rule change. :fire:

TMW - 1-9-2014 at 10:21 AM

I got this this morning:

There was a meeting in SF yesterday on how they are going to deal with this . They are getting some funds together from private party's in SF . I don't know if this is right but I was also told they had till Feb.10th to come up with the money . I also learned that it is not just money that they are asking for . They are asking for 100 hotel rooms for SCORE not sure why they need that many . I was not at this meeting but this came from someone that was there. So this is all second hand .

PaulW - 1-9-2014 at 12:22 PM

These kind of negotiations happen for every Mx race. This its become public.??